Page 114 of 123 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 112 113 114 115 116 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,420 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFLRICK View Post
    Yeah, so I'm just turning my efforts to making my own CD. I've got my template for a simple card sleeve, and good scans of the vinyl sleeve I'm cleaning up in Photoshop. Gonna print it at work.

As one of the people who derailed this thread, I want to say, firstly, sorry!

Secondly, Not the Actual Events is quite incredible. An album-strength statement in just 5 songs. The vinyl pressing is quite possibly the best sounding record I own, and Trent's intentions have been realized—I do love holding the sleeve and the lyric sheet, just being with the work while I listen. Good shit.
    Can you share that file so I can do the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    She's Gone Away was written specifically for Twin Peaks
    Source, please?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Not The Actual Events

Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Source, please?
    The greatest source our community has: http://www.nin.wiki/She%27s_Gone_Away

and here as well: https://pitchfork.com/news/nine-inch...r-david-lynch/
    Last edited by Pbgut; 09-23-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Source, please?
    trent specifically said it at the Q&A last thursday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by high def ultra-realism View Post
    Can you share that file so I can do the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Once I’ve completed them, I’d be happy to!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Any news on a possible CD version?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I want my NTAE Mini Disc DAMMIT!
    I'm kinda bummed it won't be available on 8-track.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I just imagined the entire trilogy on one cassette.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I just imagined the entire trilogy on one cassette.
    I know some hipster-adjacent friends from college. Cassette releases were trendy again for a bit as a reaction to the mainstream re-embrace of vinyl (and also because they're way cheaper to manufacture, but there were actual Cassette Store Days). Trent will never, ever cater to those people

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    I know some hipster-adjacent friends from college. Cassette releases were trendy again for a bit as a reaction to the mainstream re-embrace of vinyl (and also because they're way cheaper to manufacture, but there were actual Cassette Store Days). Trent will never, ever cater to those people
    In a way he already is with his whole re-embracing of vinyl and even putting out NTAE on vinyl and bypassing CD. He is playing right into the hands of every bearded tight jeans vape smoking music blog reading hipster he so despises. If TR really wanted to be punk rock....he would put NTAE on a fucking CD..with a nice booklet to boot

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Not the Actual Wax Cylinder

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Not The Actual Events

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    In a way he already is with his whole re-embracing of vinyl and even putting out NTAE on vinyl and bypassing CD. He is playing right into the hands of every bearded tight jeans vape smoking music blog reading hipster he so despises. If TR really wanted to be punk rock....he would put NTAE on a fucking CD..with a nice booklet to boot
    Maybe 10 years ago, but they sell records at Barnes and Noble's now. Cassettes seemed to be a boutique/urban/gentrified-only interest.

And to be honest I betrayed my lower middle class roots and never really liked CDs either. I bought vinyl for the artwork and because it got me away from the computer.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 10-08-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Speaking of CD's, i spent my weekend going through my collection and selling off a large chunk to make space (they're mostly on my hard drive now anyway...and i haven't actually had a CD player for nearly a decade!) Keeping a select few (Special editions, one's with original packaging etc) but the rest are gone to help fund comic-con (i.e. wasted at comic-con)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Can anyone drop a line to Reznor, he's going to lose a huge opportunity:

Christmas time coming and NIN could release CDs for Deviations 1, Not The Actual Events and the Third EP in one box for a decent price...
    Take into account that I was one of the people who ordered the LP for Not The Actual Events and preferred the cancellation of the order, due to the exhausting await.
    NIN lost money, they refunded me. But on the other way, since day 1 as Add Violence was available as a CD in CDUniverse.com, I made the order. Money for NIN.

Being that said... why insist in vinyl-only?
    Last edited by Quantum550; 10-17-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    Can anyone drop a line to Reznor, he's going to lose a huge opportunity:

Christmas time coming and NIN could release CDs for Deviations 1, Not The Actual Events and the Third EP in one box for a decent price...
    Take into account that I was one of the people who ordered the LP for Not The Actual Events and preferred the cancellation of the order, due to the exhausting await.
    NIN lost money, they refunded me. But on the other way, since day 1 as Add Violence was available as a CD in CDUniverse.com, I made the order. Money for NIN.

Being that said... why insist in vinyl-only?
    deviations 1 was announced as a limited edition vinyl only. It won't be on CD. I don't understand though at all why NtAE isn't on CD. I'm wondering if it's just not profitable. You highlight "money for nin" but there's also "expense for nin" involved.

And honestly I don't think that's a motivation anymore anyway. Not only is he at the point in his life where he's fine financially but music sales don't make artists much money. If he was making music for money, he would be touring more. His film scores and being an Apple corporate officer are where his real income is these days I'm sure.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Shoving an unrelated instrumental version of an almost 20 year old album in with a year-old EP and a third EP without the EP in the middle in the box sounds like a great way to lose money.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hm... maybe you guys are right.
    But I mean... the fan cult base... will buy it.
    What's the problem with it?
    There will be income.
    And never toss money - I would say.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    There will be revenue but will there be profit?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Or to put it another way - physical print comic books sell mostly to the hardcore fan base. And they buy them. There is revenue. But the cost of making them means that they get closer and closer to losing money (if not already there) every year and might not even exist eventually. The digital editions are still (I think - they're very tight lipped about those numbers) profitable. The movies and merchandising is lucrative. But physical print editions are on the way out.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    CDs are cheap as f--k to press up. So the financial cost reason is pretty much null. Trent is spending A LOT more money pressing vinyl. And you can thank Sandbag for losing money by damaging every record they touch. If he wanted to press up a limited amount of CDs, he could easily do it and make money. The Prodigy are doing their own limited edition CDs and easily selling them out. Now those CDs are sought after for those that missed out. So I think Trent can do just fine with a couple of CDs.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm just confused that people still ask why there aren't CDs. Want them, sure, but Trent's made it clear since the mid-90s that he dislikes the format and has explained more than once his interest in and appreciation for vinyl. Ultimately if he wants to release his music exclusively on 8 track that's his prerogative whether it's my preferred medium or not. As it stands you can get NTAE on any digital platform within reason and on vinyl. It's easily accessible and there was already a limited physical art release that was infinitely more interesting than a digipak could have been. I get liking a format but acting like it's a mystery why the guy hasn't bothered with it much is weird.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    But the financial gain argument is what I was getting at more than potential loss. Even if there is one it's not a big enough one to do it for that reason as the above person said. He's clearly not making the vinyl for financial gain but because its what he wants for his music.

And keep in mind I'm not arguing against a CD release. If he releases one I'll buy it and I don't really understand why AV has one and not NtAE. The argument "why isn't he doing this and leaving money on the table" is one I don't think holds up.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've been leaning toward AV just being a test, as someone might have mentioned here or on reddit. People were complaining about no CD since December, so he possibly released AV CD for the sole purpose of seeing how many people actually bought it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    CDs are cheap as f--k to press up. So the financial cost reason is pretty much null. Trent is spending A LOT more money pressing vinyl.
    That's my point. Thank you for complementing that.

Want them, sure, but Trent's made it clear since the mid-90s that he dislikes the format and has explained more than once his interest in and appreciation for vinyl.
    I think it's time for Trent to go over Discogs and raise up some statistics about the NIN discography... of how many NIN CDs are on sale there, how many NIN CDs have been pressed and catalogued over there, and in which countries they have been made available, even when LPs were no longer pressed in some territories because of the CD market (for instance, LPs stopped being pressed in Brazil since mid 90's), how many owners of NIN stuff there are... that should be a small sample for a calculation and of course - CD will beat it hands down - it's a fact. After this aftermath, I think disliking the format should be kept to the intimate forum and not actually cast a disgrace over a simplified and much superior (and equally/sonically enough) format that CD is as a physical product.

I've been leaning toward AV just being a test, as someone might have mentioned here or on reddit. People were complaining about no CD since December, so he possibly released AV CD for the sole purpose of seeing how many people actually bought it.
    I think I came up with that. If not me, it's another folk, but I do remember reading or writing this.
    If that was a test I did my part and purchased it on the release date.
    Last edited by Quantum550; 10-17-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    If he released a 3 hour album of him banging on pots and pans and coughing into a microphone, the diehard portion of the fanbase will eat it up. If NTAE came out on CD, there will be enough people buying it to justify its release. For someone who usually seems very self aware of his core audience, not releasing NTAE on CD seems a bit clueless. Just release a limited fucking edition of it through nin.com. press 50,000 copies and say thats the only pressing. Buy it now because once it sells out, its gone forever....It will sell out in the 1st day...guaranteed

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    It's weird to see people saying "this musician should do something for the money" considering people shat all over Trent for working with apple on the basis of him being a "sellout" because of it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Is this the music fan equivalent of bringing back coal jobs?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    It's weird to see people saying "this musician should do something for the money" considering people shat all over Trent for working with apple on the basis of him being a "sellout" because of it.
    This is my entire point. I'll reiterate again that I'm not against a cd and will buy it the day it's on sale but "think of the money he's missing out on" is the absolute worst possible reason for doing so.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    It's not that money is missing out.
    It is us fans missing the CD format not coming out.
    The money point is just a way of saying NIN won't lose a thing if they press these CDs.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Seriously guys, let's not derail this thread again.
    This is not coming out on CD. Live with it. Talk about the music or get the fuck out of here.