Page 13 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The description sounds like it would be the complete opposite of Still. Not sure why, but i'm expecting something along the lines of the Error EP (which Atticus was involved in). That or something ambient/atmospheric, perhaps TG-ish?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    The description sounds like it would be the complete opposite of Still. Not sure why, but i'm expecting something along the lines of the Error EP (which Atticus was involved in). That or something ambient/atmospheric, perhaps TG-ish?
    I think we can agree Trent and company enjoy a bit of misdirection. Either way, we'll find out before long.

Edit: Also, it's possible to be "unfriendly" and "impenetrable" by being quiet and small. There is literally nothing about the description we've received that suggests any specific sound. You can be unfriendly and impenetrable by being a loud, aggressive, shrieking asshole or by shifting your embrace away, being small, quiet and evasive. Not that Still was quiet and evasive...but just to illustrate the point. Unfriendly and impenetrable could describe many very different records.
    Last edited by Sequenteon; 12-18-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sequenteon View Post
    Just noticed something on the new nin.com.

The similarities between the covers of Still and the new record have been noted. Under Still's listing on the new site the text mentions that Still is one of "Reznor's favorite records of his own" and specifically mentions that the blueprints for future NIN records lie within. Given Trent's focus on that era recently, his love for Still, and the similarity with the cover of the new record...I'd say all of this could be a fairly large clue as to what we may be in for.

An "unexpected left turn" from the style of Hesitation Marks could very well be in the vein of Still.
    Honestly. the first time I looked at the cover I thought it was just a placeholder as to not spoil the actual artwork. I also thought it was maybe a reference to the title "and all that could have been" referring to the recent election. Then I read the track titles and also thought it was directly related to the election. Not that long ago in an interview Trent mentioned not wanting to spoil the new music and that the reveal was a big part of it (or something along those lines). I can't imagine that was referring to an ep with recycled art. I immediately thought this might be something leading up to a bigger concept like the next part of Year Zero. I am probably totally off here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am pretty sure that this is not te true Artwork.
    I am sure that there is something behind the black rectangle of the physical component version too.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Please lord, give us a NIN version of Error. I will be totally down for that!

Trent always gives props to Aphex Twin and Autechre, I'd love to hear him include influences like that within the NIN sound.

Trent and Atticus already do atmospheric with their score work. So I hope they stay away from that with this EP.

I want something unpredictable.

The last time NIN brought a smile to face while listening was when I pressed play on With Teeth and the opening of All The Love In The World began. I couldn't help but feel giddy, couldn't contain my glee. Sadly, I haven't gotten that feeling of being pleasantly surprised since. Sure, the later albums have some great tracks, but that was the last album from him that truly gripped me from start to finish.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-18-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Honestly. the first time I looked at the cover I thought it was just a placeholder as to not spoil the actual artwork. I also thought it was maybe a reference to the title "and all that could have been" referring to the recent election. Then I read the track titles and also thought it was directly related to the election. Not that long ago in an interview Trent mentioned not wanting to spoil the new music and that the reveal was a big part of it (or something along those lines). I can't imagine that was referring to an ep with recycled art. I immediately thought this might be something leading up to a bigger concept like the next part of Year Zero. I am probably totally off here.
    Interesting idea but I think it's unlikely that after 3 years Trent would choose to reveal the next record to the world with a temporary cover directly alluding to the final record from The Fragile era. That's a time he's been contemplating deeply recently and I have trouble imagining the connection to Still would be without great significance, in some way.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Sadly, I haven't gotten that feeling of being pleasantly surprised since. Sure, the later albums have some great tracks, but that was the last album from him that truly gripped me from start to finish.
    Try listening to the later albums on vinyl, where you can hear the warmth and tonalities your CDs can't offer

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    NIN has never really been a band...but if it were ....Alan Moulder, Flood and Atticus Ross would be its real members..
    the live band is totally different to the studio band...2 different things..

I would love to see Atticus with NIN live...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I think we can agree Trent and company enjoy a bit of misdirection. Either way, we'll find out before long.

Edit: Also, it's possible to be "unfriendly" and "impenetrable" by being quiet and small. There is literally nothing about the description we've received that suggests any specific sound. You can be unfriendly and impenetrable by being a loud, aggressive, shrieking asshole or by shifting your embrace away, being small, quiet and evasive. Not that Still was quiet and evasive...but just to illustrate the point. Unfriendly and impenetrable could describe many very different records.
    The vinyl description says it was "made to be played loud." Doesn't really make sense for Still-style music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    The vinyl description says it was "made to be played loud." Doesn't really make sense for Still-style music.
    Unless it's so quiet you really need to turn it up.

Just kidding.

Could be an arrangement thing in terms of Stills influence or could just be visuals painting a thematic connection in the way Hesitation Marks visual aspect was very much Downward Spiral but the record didn't sound like that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Try listening to the later albums on vinyl, where you can hear the warmth and tonalities your CDs can't offer
    Hahaha, I WAS a CD collector, but have since moved to lossless digital. I think the last NIN CD I bought and listened to was The Slip. Actually, I bought the Ghosts CDs, but listened to the 24 bit digital audio instead. Now I mainly listen to music digitally. Though I do purchase physical music occasionally from bands I truly love.

For instance, I collect all music from The Prodigy (being my favorite group) on CD, plus some of their vinyl, and I even bought their limited edition cassette from last year. But if there's a lossless option, especially 24 bit, I go for that. Between all of the different versions of their last album The Day Is My Enemy, I must have bought that album arround 5 or 6 times lol

I ripped whatever CDs I have as WAVs and rebought the ones if they were rereleased as 24 bit and listen to that. It's easier. If I can only find mp3 for purchase, then I'll buy the CD. I do not listen to mp3, not even on my cell phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note, which can play up to 24/192 as long as you purchase the right music app, like Poweramp Pro, that won't downgrade the audio.

Qobuz.com definitely helped make me buy more digital music. I barely purchased digital music when it was only mp3, perhaps if there was some exclusive track. But having lossless digital option/stores definitely increased my digital music purchases.

I dropped close to two grand on a PC entertainment based laptop from Qosmio, which was Toshiba's high end. I made sure to go into its settings and set it to 24/192 so it didn't downgrade the audio, plus I use an external audio interface/mixer from Roland (for my own music production) that handles 24/96 playback/recording and listen to music through my Tannoy Reveal 802 studio monitors. I also have Audio Technica ATH-50MX headphones.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-18-2016 at 11:17 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    NIN has never really been a band...but if it were ....Alan Moulder, Flood and Atticus Ross would be its real members..
    the live band is totally different to the studio band...2 different things..

I would love to see Atticus with NIN live...
    Totally agree, Moulder, Flood has been a great influence on great albums such TF DS. Sound breaking the PBS documentary has opened my eyes to how important "producers" can be... Having said that, Trent has been a producer, him and Marilyn might not be friends anymore, but Antichrist Superstar is as much Trent as it is Marilyn. Atticus and T have gone a very ambitious route I would agree, soundtracks and such. 2 engineering powerhouses on a new nin album sounds great to me..... Everyone gave "everything" crappy rep and I agree the timing may have been bad, I started listening to Nin in grade 4(8 years old lol) in 1994 and after more listenings, the value is incredible...
    Wall of sound...
    Atticus is welcomed to the utmost, was he not on Ghosts....?
    Nothing beats the fragile besides TDS, bar none. Really glad to see and hear this new TF release, just wish I could afford it...
    Last edited by Doran Ryle Hassett; 12-18-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    An "unexpected left turn" from the style of Hesitation Marks could very well be in the vein of Still.
    Personally, I think we're in for some Bhangra.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Atticus is listed as cowriter on every Ghost track

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Lol nice remix

Perfect Drug lol
    Last edited by Doran Ryle Hassett; 12-18-2016 at 10:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That album was really great, there are tracks they didn't have to put on, the ones that punch, were fuckin awesome. Point is he is a member somewhat always was.... Or is ...
    Last edited by Doran Ryle Hassett; 12-18-2016 at 10:39 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    White Chalk is amazing (just like her), so I'd be totally alright with that sort of thing, too
    Yeah me too.

I'm regretting immediately buying this whachamacallit collectible. Had I known this music would be available on iTunes later, I would've waited and not gotten any limited edition whatever. I'm by NO means a collector of ANYTHING physical (except single original works of art). Bleh. I don't like shit collecting dust. Lately, I'm more into storing things "in the cloud" where I can't be bothered by clutter. Bad wording on the web site. Whatever this is might go into the receptacle.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-18-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    A lot of people (myself included) thought that The Next Day artwork was just a dummy for a proper cover... Just saying.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    A lot of people (myself included) thought that The Next Day artwork was just a dummy for a proper cover... Just saying.
    I kinda felt like this was an homage to that too when I first saw the cover.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Just noticed something on the new nin.com.

The similarities between the covers of Still and the new record have been noted. Under Still's listing on the new site the text mentions that Still is one of "Reznor's favorite records of his own" and specifically mentions that the blueprints for future NIN records lie within. Given Trent's focus on that era recently, his love for Still, and the similarity with the cover of the new record...I'd say all of this could be a fairly large clue as to what we may be in for.

Then why is it meant to be heard loud? Loud music is associated with heaviness.

edit: fuck, already been mentioned. I just woke up, no haterino.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Summary of my "physical object" ideas so far:
    1. a puzzle,
    2. Arduino to rule the world,
    3. *NEW* a flag to proudly hang on your house, window, car, dog, etc.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    John Crawford used the codename "Leaves" instead of Nine Inch Nails to listen to the demos of the EP :

https://play.spotify.com/user/johnkr...TX0MRC6hs26meN
    https://play.spotify.com/user/johnkr...uHXjXHeWjtBFB7

Different durations and titles.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri. View Post
    John Crawford used the codename "Leaves" instead of Nine Inch Nails to listen to the demos of the EP :

https://play.spotify.com/user/johnkr...TX0MRC6hs26meN
    https://play.spotify.com/user/johnkr...uHXjXHeWjtBFB7

Different durations and titles.
    Who is John Crawford and how did he know there were demos and how did he access them?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    John Crawford is the new NIN art director.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Oh, right.

I want to hear the demo versions too plz.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I was thinking, would it be possible there will be two EP? you found two playlists, there's a black or white cover (on facebook it's black), the twitter stuff that mention other titles (fake ?) why not explaining the black box ? what if that box is just one part... that's just a theory.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The first playlist contains the demos, the other one seems to have the definitive versions (right titles, durations and no dates).

Indeed, the black version of the cover on the Facebook page makes me think there will be a "real" artwork revealed on friday. It would be strange to publish a white version and a black version of the cover if it were the official one.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    what you mean durations ? where can i find official durations ?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri. View Post
    Indeed, the black version of the cover on the Facebook page makes me think there will be a "real" artwork revealed on friday. It would be strange to publish a white version and a black version of the cover if it were the official one.
    There were, like, five different album covers for Hesitation Marks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    If you manually add the tracks (one by one) in one of your own Spotify playlist, the durations appear (they are on my screenshot).

The "Leaves" is intriguing though. We know "She's Gone Away" had already been recorded in February (at least February, 27 as mentionned here, and it was already 6:00), and was published on Spotify under the name of "Nine Inch Nails".

Maybe Trent and Atticus wanted to go under a new band name for this project?
    Last edited by Dimitri.; 12-19-2016 at 07:50 AM.