Page 11 of 123 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hippygeek View Post
    Digipak's are nearer 75g - source: I mailed hundreds of the fuckers of ther AVOTT blu rays. Unless it's a blank one with no disc in...
    Unless it's a disc with no cover. "Sorry, shit got broken cos there was no cover". Deal With It.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    hopefully it's with vocals.
    and (real) drums...
    i'm afraid it won't.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hippygeek View Post
    Digipak's are nearer 75g - source: I mailed hundreds of the fuckers of ther AVOTT blu rays. Unless it's a blank one with no disc in...
    Hand delivered a few to..... Maybe it's a Minidisc!!!!

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    another thing, maybe mentioned before: "NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS IS SELF-RELEASED"
    so it'll be released without columbia records involved? looks like...

https://store.nin.com/collections/mu...digital-object
    doesn't it look like a rag (i don't know this is the right english word)? it's a little rumpled. and what are the black spots on the bottom of the pic. i still think, it's something we didn't discus till now.

"TAKING AN UNEXPECTED LEFT TURN FROM 2013’S HESITATION MARKS AND SOUNDING UNRECOGNIZABLE FROM THEIR CURRENT FILM WORK"
    the last five years everything trent did (also HM) reminded me of what he did on all soundtracks and htda.
    with that statement above, it has to be something complete different.
    remember, atticus was once involved in this: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNn...BtxmfvVGo3MJnA
    maybe we can expect something like this (<electro-punk>)
    Last edited by witte; 12-18-2016 at 06:26 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    A keychain with a musical strobe light would be stunning.
    A flyer for the Strobelight album, that's the sort of thing that would piss me off.
    I am over it now. I just had to talk about it here. I tried talking about it with my wife and that didn't work-she has never "really been into music." She doesn't understand. I just had to say something about it to people who would understand

And now i am back to FUCKYESNEWNINEP12/23 YEEEAAAH!
    My wife is one of these people too. I know the struggle.

These people. ::shakes fist::

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    My wife is one of these people too. I know the struggle.

These people. ::shakes fist::
    One of the highlights of a recent company party was chatting with someone who was into Placebo, Manson and Nine Inch Nails. It felt like meeting a unicorn in the wild.
    When people tell me they listen to "whatever" all I can think is "what the fuck is wrong with your life?!".

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Haven't read entire thread. Has there been speculation re what the title could mean or be referencing?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    also what is that eponym twitter account with secrets and extra titles in it ?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    trent is not *testing* us. that's way too lofty.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    also what is that eponym twitter account with secrets and extra titles in it ?
    someone told us in this tread, it's fake.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Haven't read entire thread. Has there been speculation re what the title could mean or be referencing?
    This post seems to hit the nail on the head:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...774#post327774

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    although i have long thought that new nin would be sans vocals, considering the timing and current political climate and trent's feelings about the ACTUAL climate and "the record we needed to make" statement, i think that this thing sure MIGHT have vocals, because i think it's going to be anger aimed at certain parts of society, hence the unfriendliness. Looking at the tracklist, doesn't it sound like it sure could be some type of end of the world allegory? Like "oh goddamnit, you terrible bastards are going to make the fucking world end?" (again?)

Of course Boards of Canada told a story like that quite vividly with Tomorrow's Harvest "instrument"ally, but then, they are Boards of Canada and do things ummmm...i actually don't have any idea HOW they do things, but i know they do it differently than NIN.

my guess is that this is definitely like some type of socio-policitcal statement, and if there aren't lyrics, there will have to be some type of story in the artwork or something to fully get said statement across.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)

my guess is that this is definitely like some type of socio-policitcal statement, and if there aren't lyrics, there will have to be some type of story in the artwork or something to fully get said statement across.

Noooooopleasenoooo... I really, really don't want to hear what Nine Inch Nails has to say about the current political climate. HTDA's lyrics about ecology and climate is the most I can endure, that's my limit.
    The thing is, Reznor isn't too subtle when it comes to addressing actual socio-political topics. I find him best when he's vague. March of the Pigs : good. The Hand that Feeds : bad.

edit : I mean, that's a personal preference and all, but I never saw NIN as the Black Flag kind of band, and I like it that way. Having Year Zero being an album focused on the outside rather than the inside was a nice change, but I really don't look forward to another record being a blunt statement about current and fundamentally ephemeral state of affairs. No YZ2 for me, thanks, at least lyrically.
    Last edited by Khrz; 12-18-2016 at 07:19 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think there will be a proper artwork revealed with the EP. They probably didn't want to spoil anything about the "story". But this Still-like cover is intriguing, especially when the description seems to indicate that the music will be the exact opposite of Still (played loud, unfriendly...).

Obviously, NTAE will be some sort of a concept album (but aren't they all?). I don't why, but "She's Gone Away" reminds me of the "she" in The Fragile. Didn't Trent explain the girl mentionned in this song was from a dream he had? It could be a kind of follow-up to this dream.

I just have one hope : no political bullshit.
    Last edited by Dimitri.; 12-18-2016 at 07:31 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My guess is there will be vocals.
    Instrumentally, I'm expecting/wishing something similar to Ben Frost, harshness coming from white noise and such, maybe with more rythm; Or maybe a mixture of Nicolas Jaar's Killing Time and Theme For Tetsuo: The Bullet Man's Dynamics.
    I don't think there will be a lot of guitars, but more of other acoustic/electro-acoustic instruments.

About the physical component, I really don't feel like it will be something with music inside, like a USB or a CD etc. I agree with the piece of fabric theory (would look cool framed), Or maybe a shard of something like rock, glass, or whatever...

Or maybe it will be a used piece of toilet paper.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Schema View Post
    My guess is there will be vocals.
    Instrumentally, I'm expecting/wishing something similar to Ben Frost, harshness coming from white noise and such, maybe with more rythm; Or maybe a mixture of Nicolas Jaar's Killing Time and Theme For Tetsuo: The Bullet Man's Dynamics.
    I don't think there will be a lot of guitars, but more of other acoustic/electro-acoustic instruments.

About the physical component, I really don't feel like it will be something with music inside, like a USB or a CD etc. I agree with the piece of fabric theory (would look cool framed), Or maybe a shard of something like rock, glass, or whatever...
    right.
    maybe 'soil' or a 'patch' with a message/statement...

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    @Khrz , i am almost certain that we will be hearing more political statements from TR via NIN.
    I mean, THTF, all of YZ, some of TS, and (i believe) at least 2 tracks on the last album were political.

Maybe it won't be so obvious, but i don't think he's going to be able to keep totally quiet with this whole Trump business going on

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I know, I know, I just do not want this...

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Trent's most famous anthem, Head like a hole, is a political song. If politics inspire him, then I say be political, Trent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    How about an abrasive one-two punch lyrical assault of gangster rap from Rez and Ross, layered over the down-home musical stylings of Hee Haw. How’s that for “unfriendly” and “fairly impenetrable”?

Whatever it is, I’m ready. Give it to me. Give it to me good!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Me on short hike today (link to OneDrive pic):
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtQUjKw4ol2tlDyqdw2F2U3lmrBV
    So, is this normal for 43-year old? :-)

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I know, I know, I just do not want this...
    I know what you mean about not wanting ephemera.
    But perhaps it will be more allegorical in nature this time?

Also, YZ still holds up for me even out of context because it kicks ass.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    @henryeatscereal
    are you expecting The Presence to come to your house for you to deal with? :P
    I think the "encounter" will be pretty much like this:

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I'm not wading through 12 pages of "what the fuck did I miss while I was on vacation". Just gonna post my own two cents:

Ordered the "physical component" without thinking twice. Okay, I thought twice - but the first thought was "jesus, that's gonna be like $20 bucks with shipping", then the second thought was "maybe, just maybe, they're shipping for free".

Well...surprise.....

My gut instinct says it'll actually just be a CD, but a USB stick certainly would be a feasible option given how inexpensive they are at low (~2gb) capacities. Either way, looking forward to the unknown. And even though I'll have the flac links waiting for me on Friday, I'll still probably wait for the physical release before I listen. Old habits die hard.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    i don't understand how everyone but me got free shipping. It charged me $5.99

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    I am a bit worried that Atticus is now considered a full member of the band since that combination used to be linked to the soundtrack work which I do love, yet I don't want NIN to sound the same or be re-hash of their soundtrack explorations. Now with the description of this new EP I am more excited than ever before to hear what this will sound like.

Would be nice to know with whom Trent was in contact with over the course of the year and who could have inspired this "new" sound of NIN. Well, we will know in 5 days, so I guess all speculation isn't that necessary.

My only hopes are that this EP picks me up or hits a certain spot that gets me back into NIN full time and with only 5 songs on it I hope these are 5 punches to the face other than overly long moody-pieces.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't understand what Trent would be on a USB that wouldn't be available to download.

The point of the AIR USB's was to make you feel like you where in an episode of Mission Impossible.
    If they mail that to your house it looses the Secret Squirrel Super Club appeal.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Re: physical component, what about some kind of a puzzle? Maybe one we will need to co-operate somehow to solve? To find out the ACTUAL events? :-)

Re: CDs, I still buy them (my stereo room is good old Onkyo CD player and amplifier and speakers). Wait till Sun EMP will burn all your electronics and clouds, and I will just insert CD and... wait... fuck... :-)

Re: lyrics, I expect for example: "Dear world, fuck you." ;-)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    i don't understand how everyone but me got free shipping. It charged me $5.99
    They fucked up a bit, possibly. On Friday the shipping cost to Canada was $4 USD for an order of both NTAE editions. If I put in my cart just Broken, TDS, or TF alone it was ~$23 USD shipping for one on that same day. Two items would be $30.

Yesterday I took another look, now the shipping price for NTAE editions to Canada is ~$23. Just one or two of those reissues still costs the same as above.

Maybe it still has errors and/or people are hitting stale server caches of the site, or at this stage free shipping depends on the state you live in.
    Last edited by blassster; 12-18-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had been thinking the same thing, I will make a judgement in five days though but do think NIN should be NIN and the soundtracks a separate entity. No reason the two can't work together to produce something radically different. I am hoping for plenty of singing and chanting, etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I am a bit worried that Atticus is now considered a full member of the band since that combination used to be linked to the soundtrack work which I do love, yet I don't want NIN to sound the same or be re-hash of their soundtrack explorations. Now with the description of this new EP I am more excited than ever before to hear what this will sound like.

Would be nice to know with whom Trent was in contact with over the course of the year and who could have inspired this "new" sound of NIN. Well, we will know in 5 days, so I guess all speculation isn't that necessary.

My only hopes are that this EP picks me up or hits a certain spot that gets me back into NIN full time and with only 5 songs on it I hope these are 5 punches to the face other than overly long moody-pieces.