Page 55 of 123 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    Trent liked another photo on Instagram the other day that was different than the one linked in spoilers here. Similar looking to what was linked, but not the same.
    Link plz. I am very interested in seeing it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not The Actual Events

Quote Originally Posted by walking_shade View Post
    Link plz. I am very interested in seeing it
    Not sure if this is what trollmanen was thinking of, but there is this: (physical component spoiler) Spoiler:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BObtY6BAIKH/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    'She's Gone Away' is very NIN, it's like PHM meets YZ. 'She's Gone Away' and the entire EP is fucking awesome.

I've been waiting a while for sounds like this. My ears will be bleeding soon... (from playing this so loud).

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    I love all the screaming throughout the NIN catalog and the emotions that come with it. They are one of my absolute favorite things about NIN — so it's not that I don't like those kind of things in general. I think my problem here is that it's too repetitive. And I do have to say, unfortunately, that I think that Trent's screaming abilities are not as awesome as they used to be. Can't expect the guy to scream like he's 25, but still: To me, those particular screams don't go well with his modern vocal style.

Just for the record: I still like that song A LOT. NTAE fucking rocks.
    But...But...
    NONE OF THIS this this-iS HA_PUH_NEENG!

no? :/

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    had a few days of listens now.. out on runs, a bit of sitting around hiding from family, and I really like it. To me (and probably not a very smart opinion) the EP is very much like an opposite of Still.. it feels very Fragile, but denser, more closed, and Still was like the stripped back reflective version of that era. The artwork clearly references it too, so eh, probably not a hugely original thought.

Anyway. I love the feeling of the EP. It is definitely far more concise than Hesitation Marks, and the lack of the 'pop hit' was something to get used to, but that really gives it a bigger punch. While the Broken + Fragile comparisons are easy, its a very modern mix of those two eras, lots of layers, the distortion, the echoes. love it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I don't listen to music loudly in this flat often (I remember someone cutting me power during AATCHB DVD), but today I gave my neighbours a present before dismantling my stereo and moving out - loud NTAE. ;-) Okay, I confess, as a final bonus I played A Warm Place, thinking about Bowie.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Also, is the "She's gone away" lyric in "She's Gone Away" pitchshifted down or is Trent's voice just changing as he gets older? Obviously the stuff in "Dear World," is altered, but this I could see going either way. The tone reminds me slightly of Iggy Pop or David Bowie.
    I did have the same thought about his voice sounding exceptionally deep in that song, but I don't think that was from any effect.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Burning Bright should close out all nin shows from now until forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Also, is the "She's gone away" lyric in "She's Gone Away" pitchshifted down or is Trent's voice just changing as he gets older? Obviously the stuff in "Dear World," is altered, but this I could see going either way. The tone reminds me slightly of Iggy Pop or David Bowie.
    I think he was just pulling a Dave Gahan and singing in a deep baritone.....fits the song

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    NTAE makes a superb accompaniment to the TR/NIN's darker misc soundtrack work. Quake OST, Doom 3 alpha menu music (as Trent's sifting through the back catalogue I really hope the unheard stuff from that project sees the light of day, even if it's just five hours of Trent grunting out SmallPain_17 to 9998.wav), Black Ops 2 theme, Top of the Hour and Tetsuo theme. Throw the new tracks on the end and you have one hell of a gloomy evil mix (aka. a 2016 mix).

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Burning Bright should close out all nin shows from now until forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only if now I'm nothing opens every show.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I would allow Trent to sever the small toe from either of my feet if it meant we got a studio version of "Now I'm Nothing."

I don't know why he would want to do that, or what he'd do with a severed toe, but if that's something he'd be into, the opportunity is there.
    Well he did write Ringfinger

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I was just listening to NTAE. When my wife told me Carrie Fisher had died, Trent Reznor's voice said immediately "Yes, everybody seems to be asleep". After that of course came "She's Gone Away".

Very spooky moment!
    Last edited by SchwarzerAbt; 12-27-2016 at 04:07 PM. Reason: italics

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    NTAE makes a superb accompaniment to the TR/NIN's darker misc soundtrack work. Quake OST, Doom 3 alpha menu music (as Trent's sifting through the back catalogue I really hope the unheard stuff from that project sees the light of day, even if it's just five hours of Trent grunting out SmallPain_17 to 9998.wav), Black Ops 2 theme, Top of the Hour and Tetsuo theme. Throw the new tracks on the end and you have one hell of a gloomy evil mix (aka. a 2016 mix).
    You know, I don't think I've ever heard the Doom 3 alpha menu music.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I've been pleased, over the past few weeks, to see all the love for the "Tetsuo" theme on this board. It really is exceptional work.

Bruh I have ranted about loving it so much that other people got vocally annoyed with me over it in good fun.

The noises in the bridge and climax of Idea of You are super-reminiscent of Tetsuo to me.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    You know, I don't think I've ever heard the Doom 3 alpha menu music.
    You can hear a few seconds of it here:

It plays between 0:07 and 0:17. The full thing is over 4 minutes, and if you know the Quake OST, you can expect something similar: a main loop repeating with little modification for most of the runtime, and new elements creeping in and out every few bars, mostly as background flavour.

Going back to that video, if I remember rightly pretty much all the sound work in there is TR. Allegedly there's a honking great cache of additional work produced after the alpha that's sitting on a dusty hard drive somewhere, which has added a quantifiable percentage to my day-to-day frustration level since hearing about it. Doom 3 is a vastly better game with Trent's sounds.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah, I really got an Iggy Pop vibe off of it. Just really kind of sleazy sounding. I think he was intentionally going for that sort of vocal style, I doubt this was altered very much, just him using a different vocal method.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    pitchfork praised The Slip and HM yet bash this EP.....clueless...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...ual-events-ep/

Wow. That was shockingly ungenerous. Keeping in mind that I'm still a daily Pitchfork reader, even I think that review was poorly conceived.
    Maybe pitchfork are pissed off about Trent's 'hipster tastemaker' comments which, in my opinion, were directed at them

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Some of my favorite takeaways from that Pitchfork review:

“uncomfortably ambitious (Ghosts I-IV, the second half of The Slip, parts of Year Zero).”

Right, because the majority of Year Zero sounded shockingly safe as a whole. Absolutely.

And eight years later, I’m still trying to get my head around that mind-blowingly complex arrangement we know as “Lights In The Sky”..

“opener to the otherwise-toothless With Teeth…”

Thanks, Pitchfork. Finally somebody with the guts to call Trent out on his least-rocking album to date.

ffs, You Know What You Are is practically my go-to nap song..

“or the Nirvana-meets-NIN 2009 single “ ,”

lol wow. Just…wow.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    A belgian review for the album from a (over there) well known news paper its website:

Nine Inch Nails - Not the actual events: the pigs march again:
    http://www.demorgen.be/muziek/nine-i...weer-b389fda1/

A condensed sum-up of the article, chase it trough google translate if you want some brain-damage because of its weird translations:

Fans of the world famous American industrial rock band are not going to be riled up in dismay when listening to 'Not the Actual Events', which seems to be a mini-synthesis out of Reznor his catalog. Those who know the industrial god for his soundtracks together with Atticus Ross are in for some swallowing. But anyway, they would not be familiar with the demonic mechanical power true to the works of Nine Inch Nails.

It is not a surprise for Not The Actual Events to be released right before christmas, while only being available on the N.I.N. website. Reznor has been experimenting for years with unorthodox formats which are only available online. (ex. Ghosts I-IV).

Being a known critic in terms of the music industry he opts for a do-it-yourself approach in which he decides on the Artwork, timing, and distribution. because of the reputation he has with Nine Inch Nails he can afford to have such whims. Surely it wherent just radiohead or Prince who experimented with such distribution models.
    Are the new numbers any good? surely. But the die-hard N.I.N. consumer will not end up in surprises.

Branches/bones: robotic punkrock recollecting the magnum opus "the downward spiral". Neurotic moans about "spiders crawling everywhere" and
    "infected japanese" (what the ?). It's lavish with DoomPoetry: "her branches are the bones that break, become a perfect line". outstanding creepy.
    I am not going to continue this translation Unless some die-hard fans are interested in this while wanting something more readable than a google translation.
    Last edited by Detunez; 12-28-2016 at 02:11 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    my current order, separated into enjoyment groups...each separation denotes a decent drop in enjoyment for me:

The Downward Spiral
    Broken
    Pretty Hate Machine (nostalgia over skill on this one, for me)
    The Fragile
    ------
    Not The Actual Events
    Year Zero
    With Teeth
    Further Down The Spiral
    Still
    ------
    Things Falling Apart
    The Social Network
    Hesitation Marks
    The Slip
    Deviations 1
    Ghosts
    -----
    HDTA, all other remix albums & soundtracks
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 12-28-2016 at 02:42 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure Pitchfork's position on this EP has much more to do with how everyone else has received it - and trying to ensure they differentiate themselves - than any honest-to-god opinion on the actual music.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    That blew my mind as well. It's somehow an insult to Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, and the song itself. I can't think of an analagous comparison.
    It wasn't even a single though; it was part of a pair of b-sides on a free tour EP that contained two other bands

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    To be fair I'd be ok with reviews of 7 and over and it's only 0.7 off that. He did diss my favourites, the idea of you and dear world though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The idea of a professional review is pretty obsolete nowadays. I will always value the opinions of my fellow fans more than that of a professional reviewer who burns through tons of music daily in a commercial environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow. That was shockingly ungenerous. Keeping in mind that I'm still a daily Pitchfork reader, even I think that review was poorly conceived.
    I just hope Trent manages to not give a fuck about this. For me this EP is exactly where I want NIN to go, and for sure my favorite release since The Fragile. I want more.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Oh, pitchfork.

I suppose not everyone can be a Kayne or Vampire Weekend...

Still, a 6.3? A D-? That's about the same grade as they gave to the complete works of The Doors, one of the greatest American bands of all-time.

Their NTME review is why I don't like pitchfork. It's a perfect example of trying way, way, way too hard. This is funny. Pitchfork reviews music.
    http://www.theonion.com/article/pitc...-music-68-2278
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-28-2016 at 06:47 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Oh, pitchfork.

I suppose not everyone can be a Kayne or Vampire Weekend...

Still, a 6.3? A D-? That's about the same grade as they gave to the complete works of The Doors, one of the greatest American bands, of all-time.

Their NTME review is why I don't like pitchfork. It's a perfect example of trying way, way, way to hard. This is funny. Pitchfork reviews music.
    http://www.theonion.com/article/pitc...-music-68-2278
    To me it's pretty obvious that the reviewer doesn't WANT to like the EP. Maybe it's really because of Trent's hipster remarks, as WorzelG pointed out. Although I am slightly annoyed, I am really glad that Pitchfork doesn't have the option to comment their articles. All hell would break loose certainly.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

For Hipsters By Hipsters. They're irrelevant. Always have been.