Page 101 of 123 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsecureSpike View Post

...fans soon found themselves covered in a smudgy black POWER...

I knew it wasn't just euphoria.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ok, I be late to the party and this may have been already discussed.

But maybe "Not The Actual Events" is called such, because the album is entirely made up of previously used and unused NIN samples and loops?
    Like a recycled album.

There are plenty of previously used samples taking back as far as the Downward spiral, Trent has only recently remastered The Fragile, David Grohl on drums? They made plenty of loops I imagine back in 2004.

Trent could be trolling us.

Take the lyrics from Dear World....

Hey look, you didn't even know this
    Couldn't even tell
    Just when it started... happening
    Maybe just as well
    After all, everything is getting unfamiliar now
    Trajectory in decline
    And we've become obselete
    A frame at a time

Apologies if already discussed. I can have been the only one to have thought this.
    Last edited by Alex of scotland; 03-11-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well it's quite clear which are the most and least popular songs on the EP with the general public....

https://www.last.fm/music/Nine+Inch+...+Actual+Events

Thought there'd be more love for Branches/Bones to be honest. I can see why She's Gone Away may get the occasional skip, as it's less 'instant', but let's face it, still a damn fine song compared to the most of the tripe out there!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex of scotland View Post

But maybe "Not The Actual Events" is called such, because the album is entirely made up of previously used and unused NIN samples and loops?
    Like a recycled album.

There are plenty of previously used samples taking back as far as the Downward spiral, Trent has only recently remastered The Fragile, David Grohl on drums? They made plenty of loops I imagine back in 2004.

Couldn't even tell
    Maybe just as well
    Trajectory in decline
    A frame at a time

Apologies if already discussed. I can have been the only one to have thought this.
    I was trying to say something similar in an earlier post, but couldn't quite elucidate my thoughts. I reckon you've hit the nail on the head. Perhaps the actual events were all those nice new definitive vinyl versions in the webstore and in the process of remastering them, he cobbled this thing together. It looks to me like we are meant to figure this out from the reused artwork if from nothing else.

I'm really hoping that the actual events turn out to be a sprawling, difficult, 3 disc masterpiece to which even The Fragile pales in comparison. Doubt I'm the first one to hope for that either..

Also just thinking that maybe there is a reason we can't make out the Nine in Halo Twenty Nine. Because it isn't actually Halo Twenty Nine. So what is Halo Twenty Nine? The suspense is killing me.
    Last edited by astfgyl; 03-12-2017 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Just thinking

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Well it's quite clear which are the most and least popular songs on the EP with the general public....

Thought there'd be more love for Branches/Bones to be honest. I can see why She's Gone Away may get the occasional skip, as it's less 'instant', but let's face it, still a damn fine song compared to the most of the tripe out there!
    Yes but at least they got the answer right.
    The Idea Of You is the correct answer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    I was trying to say something similar in an earlier post, but couldn't quite elucidate my thoughts. I reckon you've hit the nail on the head. Perhaps the actual events were all those nice new definitive vinyl versions in the webstore and in the process of remastering them, he cobbled this thing together. It looks to me like we are meant to figure this out from the reused artwork if from nothing else.

I'm really hoping that the actual events turn out to be a sprawling, difficult, 3 disc masterpiece to which even The Fragile pales in comparison. Doubt I'm the first one to hope for that either..

Also just thinking that maybe there is a reason we can't make out the Nine in Halo Twenty Nine. Because it isn't actually Halo Twenty Nine. So what is Halo Twenty Nine? The suspense is killing me.

Maybe some members with more musical know how can pull out some of the familiar NIN samples.

or we can use do it by ear for shits and giggles.

For example, Mr Self Destruct inference loop at the end of burning bright.....

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post

No.
    What you see there is a result of loads of people using wrong tags. (May not even be their fault, if they use some streaming service which has wrong tags).
    There are Branches/Bones with and without spaces around the slash, Dear World with and without comma at the end, and there are different kinds of apostrophes used in She's Gone Away. Until they get properly redirected/merged by last.fm algorithms, you won't see correct stats.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    No.
    What you see there is a result of loads of people using wrong tags. (May not even be their fault, if they use some streaming service which has wrong tags).
    There are Branches/Bones with and without spaces around the slash, Dear World with and without comma at the end, and there are different kinds of apostrophes used in She's Gone Away. Until they get properly redirected/merged by last.fm algorithms, you won't see correct stats.
    Are you sure it's not that the dance track with the melodic refrain and the fast-paced angry rock track are getting more plays?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Are you sure it's not that the dance track with the melodic refrain and the fast-paced angry rock track are getting more plays?
    But not with a gap as big as shown there.
    Here you go, another 14.8K listeners to She's Gone Away ( https://www.last.fm/music/Nine+Inch+...%99s+Gone+Away ) and another 19.3K listeners to B/B ( https://www.last.fm/music/Nine+Inch+...%20%2F%20Bones )

Rough sums of listeners for each track:
    B/B ~25,100
    SGA ~19,600
    BB(FOA) ~18,000
    Idea ~25,400
    DW ~22,800
    Last edited by fillow; 03-12-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Perhaps the actual events were all those nice new definitive vinyl versions in the webstore and in the process of remastering them, he cobbled this thing together.
    Eh, Trent basically crushed that idea in an interview. The album's sound is because Trent and Atticus decided to work with some equipment (guitars, pedals, etc.) that they hadn't worked with in a long time. Trent mentioned that he felt that he could go back to certain sounds without feeling like he was simply rehashing what he had done before. The album absolutely has callbacks to previous albums, both in terms of the artwork and in terms of the sound, but it's definitely not some sort of Frankenstein creation that they made using bits from old albums.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex of scotland View Post

Like a recycled album.

Couldn't even tell
    Maybe just as well
    Trajectory in decline
    A frame at a time

Trent talked heavily about the recording process in studio in one of the interviews he did for the EP and discussed allowing himself to use guitars and treating it as a way to have a different outlet while so immersed in scorework, so bare minimum, some degree of writing/recording happened for it in the past year, and his vocals are clearly post-With Teeth levels of depth in terms of pitch. I could see some of the ideas and tracks being from older sessions, but definitely not entire songs. Themes of reflection, repetition, loops and stagnation have been present in almost everything from With Teeth on so I don't think lyrics dealing with those subjects are overtly literal necessarily.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I found TR's quote about NTAE being inspired by a dream he had to be quite interesting. I wish he would tell us what the dream was about.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I found TR's quote about NTAE being inspired by a dream he had to be quite interesting. I wish he would tell us what the dream was about.
    It was a wet nightmare

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Fun Fact: if you backmask the first five seconds of Branches/Bones, isolate the left channel and play it through a single Beats Pill you can audibly hear Trent saying "This is a dream about fucking"

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Fun Fact: if you backmask the first five seconds of Branches/Bones, isolate the left channel and play it through a single Beats Pill you can audibly hear Trent saying "This is a dream about fucking"
    You're drunk ?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    You're drunk ?
    In case you didn't get the joke, there were multiple times in the 90s (often when he didn't like a crowd, but at the show I was at in 94, he was clearly enjoying himself and he still said it), he would introduce a song - usually Closer but sometimes another popular song like Down in It with "this is a song about fucking"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Eh, Trent basically crushed that idea in an interview. The album's sound is because Trent and Atticus decided to work with some equipment (guitars, pedals, etc.) that they hadn't worked with in a long time. Trent mentioned that he felt that he could go back to certain sounds without feeling like he was simply rehashing what he had done before. The album absolutely has callbacks to previous albums, both in terms of the artwork and in terms of the sound, but it's definitely not some sort of Frankenstein creation that they made using bits from old albums.
    I haven't seen that interview, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed. So Not The Actual Events is actually The Actual Events? Got a link? I know the recycling idea was wishful thinking, but we can dream...... (Edit: No, upon reflection and another few listens I'm convinced of the recycling thing, as explained in my next post)

And while I'm here, is that the Closer/TDS/Heresy motif at the end of The Idea of You? Maybe transposed a bit?
    Last edited by astfgyl; 03-14-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: I'm contradicting myself farther down the page

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    In case you didn't get the joke, there were multiple times in the 90s (often when he didn't like a crowd, but at the show I was at in 94, he was clearly enjoying himself and he still said it), he would introduce a song - usually Closer but sometimes another popular song like Down in It with "this is a song about fucking"
    In case you didn't get the joke here's the subtitles:
    00:33:30,600 --> 00:33:33,193
    This song's
    about....

00:33:34,035 --> 00:33:35,313
    fucking...

00:33:38,200 --> 00:33:39,793
    I'm drunk.

00:33:42,235 --> 00:33:47,113
    And right now I'm so (in love with you).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    OK guys, here's another theory for ya. Based on the scans I've seen, the physical components' halo designations are all pretty blurry - especially toward the end. Now, it's clear enough that NTAE at least begins with Halo Twenty Nine, but I don't see any definitive evidence that there's nothing after the Nine. Now, we all know that the cover artwork we've seen so far is a rehash of Still, which was Halo 17 CD2. Could NTAE be an equivalent bonus disc to Halo 29, which itself will be the multi-disc live compilation that was previously being worked on to document the '13-'14 tour cycle? That's the only thing that I can think now that would make sense of using the Still artwork again. And that would cover one of the two major 2017 NIN releases previously teased. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    No doubt about it, to some degree this album has to do with the past nin work. Too many call backs...still artwork, WT and TDS fonts, reptile lyrics, grohl and navarro, lyrics on burning bright (very reflective, but not in a HM type of way)...I think once the record arrives it will be a little more clear. Who knows, maybe old recordings were used interspersed throughout. Fun stuff. Can't wait to know more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This album sounds like it was recorded in a swampy pussy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    This album sounds like it was recorded in a swampy pussy.
    yours?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This has probably already been asked, but is it possible these are just old unreleased songs that were re-recorded recently? It doesn't sound like these are actually old re-used samples or old recordings to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

And while I'm here, is that the Closer/TDS/Heresy motif at the end of The Idea of You? Maybe transposed a bit?
    I'm good at hearing melodys, what specific instrument is playing it?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    This has probably already been asked, but is it possible these are just old unreleased songs that were re-recorded recently? It doesn't sound like these are actually old re-used samples or old recordings to me.
    According to previous posts, some parts were pre recorded. and some are new.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I haven't seen that interview, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed. So Not The Actual Events is actually The Actual Events? Got a link? I know the recycling idea was wishful thinking, but we can dream......

I hear what you're hearing.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonso99 View Post
    According to previous posts, some parts were pre recorded. and some are new.
    Er, no. Based on what Trent said in interviews, it was all new music. The reason it sounds the way it does is because of the equipment that Trent and Atticus used to make it.

Honestly, if I were Trent and Atticus, I'd be kind of offended by the idea that the EP is only good because it's made out of recycled bits from old albums. You (the collective you) are basically saying "You don't have enough talent now to make an album that sounds like that."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I guess I need to wait until my other parts of my order arrive, that's what Firebrand said... sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jhulud View Post
    Received in FL this pas weekend. Had ordered with the TF1 and NTAE vinyl...but got here by itself. Not opening yet until I have to clean the house anyways.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Er, no. Based on what Trent said in interviews, it was all new music. The reason it sounds the way it does is because of the equipment that Trent and Atticus used to make it.

Honestly, if I were Trent and Atticus, I'd be kind of offended by the idea that the EP is only good because it's made out of recycled bits from old albums. You (the collective you) are basically saying "You don't have enough talent now to make an album that sounds like that."
    There are certain parts where Trent’s voice sounds at least 10 years younger. It’s not a question of talent, it’s a question of the natural aging process. But whatever, I don't really care one way or the other. It's good, that's all that matters.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    There are certain parts where Trent’s voice sounds at least 10 years younger.
    You mean he sounds like he has on every album since With Teeth? If so, I agree.