Page 76 of 127 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76 77 78 86 126 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,280 of 3781

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Result of my best attempt to piece it all together attempting to re-use as few words as possible:

Feels like I've been here before

Yes i have been here before

I guess I have a way of finding order in things. Allowing myself to feel a sense of comfort in the past. But not the actual events. The way I choose to remember them, in one way or another. And almost everything I thought mattered, what my definition of myself was, has proven false.

Please all of you go away from here

I encourage others to try de-scrambling it and see if we come up with different sentences or see a more logical excerpt than the one I've made out.
    This...is the most compelling insight I've seen into the EP yet. And it makes the 10,000 words I've written—yes, literally—feel even more superfluous than they already did. I'm experiencing an incredible confluence of contradictory emotions right now thanks to your distillation. And really wishing I'd pursued it further myself.

Fucking phenomenal work.

Fuck.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I tried my best, but was never a huge fan of the film as a whole. But this scene...I made this part of the epigraph of a collection of memoirs I never quite finished. It's a spectacular scene.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I think the clue is in the collaborations. What if Not The Actual Events is really a collection of leftover ideas or material over the years that Trent and Atticus revisited and reimagined. Mariqueen - HTDA era, Dave Grohl - WT era, Dave Navarro - TDS/FDTS era. So it's a play off when movies say "This film is based on actual events." But instead of these songs being untouched leftovers that were written by Trent then (The Actual Events), they are the Trent of today reworking them with Atticus and reimagining where he was at that certain period (Not The Actual Events). Sonically, it is closer to Broken/TDS/TF/WT Trent than his later material. Plus there are lyrical nods to other eras as well.
    I just remembered: the multitracks for the Jane's Addiction tracks had some leftover Navarro guitar solos in there. I don't remember any one of them being on Burning Bright, but what if the guitar came from the 2009 JA sessions instead of the TDS era? I mean, Navarro was only featured on the Rick Rubin remix of Piggy back then, right?

Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    No. Dan Cleary (Navarro's guitar tech since the mid-2000s) tweeted in December that they worked on a NIN track. Not a Jane's track repurposed for NIN.

Also, I would be very very very surprised if they didn't just call those guys (especially Grohl, who will drop everything to play drums) and record them playing over new tracks, instead of playing Frankenstein sewing new songs around old ones.

Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Wasn't the physical component supposed to be shipped first week of January?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The delay of the Physical Component makes me think it might not be the same thing as the press kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What did the press kit look like?
    Any update on the 'new' release date?? Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sore_and_crucified View Post
    What did the press kit look like?
    Any update on the 'new' release date?? Thanks
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BOYTWipBNq8/?taken-by=ptgrw

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I'm gonna pull a little @Sesquipedalism here and share with you a depressing mental image I constructed while listening to She's Gone Away. The clue I'm going to work with is, of course, the extra Apple Music references to Reptile. Yes, I'm going to go autobiographical, because, while TDS seems to be largely fictional, I doubt Reptile isn't at all inspired by, ahem, actual events. The image featured Trent and Mariqueen, but, of course, they could be portraying "characters" in the lyrics, so they could have any given name, really.

Anyway... I imagined She's Gone Away being a sequel to Reptile, this time in present day. Our protagonist, Trent, Not the Actual Trent, Fake Trent, whatever, dug into his past "until his fingers bled", but he wasn't sure why, until he remembered her again. Her. The reptile. He can't place why he scratched that old wound. I can't remember what she came here for, I can't remember much of anything anymore. The infection, the anger, the heartbreak, the blood from an old wound, is spreading inside him.

He is becoming paranoid, a little mouth inside his head talks to him and is driving him nuts. He keeps messing with those old, dark memories, until his skin turns black. He will always have only the memories; he will never get the feeling of being with her (or in love with her) back. He breaks down, cries. He still suffers from depression and breakdowns, even though he's got a great life with a wife and kids. So, the chorus is the logical, happier side of Trent and, at the same time, Mariqueen by his side, reassuringly telling the broken, deranged Trent to stop. She's gone away. There's nothing you can do about it. It's time to stop digging into the past, come back to reality, the present. He needs to take care of his kids, who are crying. Maybe he woke them up when he was having a breakdown in the middle of the night.

I guess I was tired of hearing the song as being creepy or disturbing, and instead conjured up a depressing and moving image.

Wow, this is fun, actually. Digging into the deeper meaning of the lyrics, I mean. I'm thinking of pulling another Sesqui and doing this for the entire EP.
    Last edited by wizfan; 01-14-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I'm gonna pull a little @Sesquipedalism here and share with you a depressing mental image I constructed while listening to She's Gone Away". The clue I'm going to work with is, of course, the extra Apple Music references to Reptile. Yes, I'm going to go autobiographical, because, while TDS seems to be largely fictional, I doubt Reptile isn't at all inspired by, ahem, actual events. The image featured Trent and Mariqueen, but, of course, they could be portraying "characters" in the lyrics, so they could have any given name, really.

Anyway... I imagined She's Gone Away being a sequel to Reptile, this time in present day. Our protagonist, Trent, Not the Actual Trent, Fake Trent, whatever, dug into his past "until his fingers bled", but he wasn't sure why, until he remembered her again. Her. The reptile. He can't place why he scratched that old wound. I can't remember what she came here for, I can't remember much of anything anymore. The infection, the anger, the heartbreak, the blood from an old wound, is spreading inside him.

He is becoming paranoid, a little mouth inside his head talks to him and is driving him nuts. He keeps messing with those old, dark memories, until his skin turns black. He will always have only the memories; he will never get the feeling of being with her (or in love with her) back. He breaks down, cries. He still suffers from depression and breakdowns, even though he's got a great life with a wife and kids. So, the chorus is the logical, happier side of Trent and, at the same time, Mariqueen by his side, reassuringly telling the broken, deranged Trent to stop. She's gone away. There's nothing you can do about it. It's time to stop digging into the past, come back to reality, the present. He needs to take care of his kids, who are crying. Maybe he woke them up when he was having a breakdown in the middle of the night.

I guess I was tired of hearing the song as being creepy or disturbing, and instead conjured up a depressing and moving image.

Wow, this is fun, actually. Digging into the deeper meaning of the lyrics, I mean. I'm thinking of pulling another Sesqui and doing this for the entire EP.
    Really liked this interpretation, you should do more.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    This...is the most compelling insight I've seen into the EP yet. And it makes the 10,000 words I've written—yes, literally—feel even more superfluous than they already did. I'm experiencing an incredible confluence of contradictory emotions right now thanks to your distillation. And really wishing I'd pursued it further myself.

Fucking phenomenal work.

Fuck.
    Thanks, but don't kick yourself. While I am 95% certain I've nailed it, there's always the outside chance I could have swapped words in one place or another that could change the phrase to some degree, and inflict lord knows what meaning. That's why I think more folks should take a crack at it, to be certain.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Will you follow up with a full-length Nine Inch Nails record this year?

REZNOR: We’re working on new stuff now, so we’re planning to release more stuff as soon as it’s ready, and I don’t think that’s this year.

Me:
    Well that's kinda stinks.

Was hoping NTAE was leading to something.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Did he ever say why it was credited to him and not under the NIN moniker? I wonder how he looks at it now...
    Found an article detailing this http://theninhotline.net/archives/ar...cle.php?id=658
    The 'Lost Highway' soundtrack song 'Driver Down' is credited to Trent Reznor. Given that the man always writes NIN songs, why make that distinction? "It was a transition, because members of my band had left," he replies, before taking a deep breath and broadening the subject.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm interested in exploring the serial killer concept/theory of the EP. I think with the way the EP is, it's about a normal guy who loses his mind because of the way the world and his personal life are heading, and resorts to killing to keep going.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I was having a look around at the page source information on the official site, and discovered another cover variant for NTAE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Question, folks! Is it worthwhile contacting customer service regarding a corrected FLAC download? I have the original version, untagged, no art, and so on. Any advice?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I'm gonna pull a little @Sesquipedalism here and share with you a depressing mental image I constructed while listening to She's Gone Away. The clue I'm going to work with is, of course, the extra Apple Music references to Reptile. Yes, I'm going to go autobiographical, because, while TDS seems to be largely fictional, I doubt Reptile isn't at all inspired by, ahem, actual events. The image featured Trent and Mariqueen, but, of course, they could be portraying "characters" in the lyrics, so they could have any given name, really.

Dig it. It's always cool to see thought-out yet vastly divergent interpretations of texts, no matter what they are. Doubly interesting when it's something you're interested in.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Macbeth View Post
    I'm interested in exploring the serial killer concept/theory of the EP. I think with the way the EP is, it's about a normal guy who loses his mind because of the way the world and his personal life are heading, and resorts to killing to keep going.
    So do it!

I've read equally valid interpretations of Moby-Dick where the whale is either basically postcolonialism or, instead, the biggest dick in the world, in an unbelievably homoerotic narrative. You never know how much or little water your theory will hold until you put it into words. Worst thing that happens is no one agrees with you or you end up convincing yourself you're wrong. Either way, there are a billion worse ways you could spend your day besides critically thinking about art.

Go!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Thanks, but don't kick yourself. While I am 95% certain I've nailed it, there's always the outside chance I could have swapped words in one place or another that could change the phrase to some degree, and inflict lord knows what meaning. That's why I think more folks should take a crack at it, to be certain.
    I am very contented to keep my grubby little mitts off of your excellent distillation. And while I don't think there's any reason a quality piece of art cannot have multiple concurrent valid interpretations, I'm absolutely reevaluating my thoughts in light of what you put together there.

A little self-kicking is unavoidable, but not necessarily a bad thing.

Seriously. That was some goddamned excellent thinking through of the material.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Here's a comparison: http://imgur.com/a/5NSzl
    Not that this is ARG worthy, but with the above mentioned discovery of another alternate artwork design I thought I'd open up Photoshop to see if I could fiddle around with anything. No such luck since Microsoft Paint is more my speed.

That said, according to the Photoshop file info the December 20th version from my quoted link has the preserved filename "Untitled-wip13.psd" & the December 24th version has "NTAE_cover_v4_CLHsadsdasd_v2Group 3 copy 4.jpg" as the raw filename.

I pulled the White NTAE cover from the NIN.com discography page and that one has a preserved file name "NTAE_cover_dec15_alt_D.jpg" & a raw file name "NTAE_cover_v5_wip3.jpg"
    *edit* This same version is used on the PR site, but they have the file saved as "NTAE_cover_dec15_alt_B_press_release.jpg"

Worse case, I figure this might help the wiki folks in terms of identifying the artwork variants.
    Last edited by FULLMETAL; 01-16-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm going to write my interpretations for the serial killer theory in parts and really try to pull out some ideas from in-depth analyses/exploration of the lyrics. Wish me luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi folks, my first post from this new account, I've been here before. As new versions of the NTAE artwork seem to appear, I checked all versions from the various web sources and found a slight difference in the two "black" versions that appeared on facebook and tumblr. The difference is little but visible, is it all just "A frame at a time"? I took a closer look at the website banners from fb, twitter & youtube and guess what, they are all different in a way. Is there something bigger dilating / evolving and we're only scratching at the surface of it? The idea of sth hidden inside is growing stronger on me, especially after Shadaloo's magnificent decryption of the Lost Highway relevance. Well done.
    What went actually wrong with the artwork (nottheactuaevents.jpg
    Misspelled or typo: No!) that came with the downloads? 12,6MB for only 3000x3000 pixels, resize it to 2999x2999 and it's only 5,42MB! I wouldn't call that a normal behaviour, wtf!?! Just a strange mistake or sth hidden in a harmless looking file? ... "Yes, everyone seems to be asleep. Hey look, you didn't even notice" ... I tried to decrypt the picture with OpenStego but nope, nothing's there. Maybe someone else here knows some other, better software? Can anyone reassemble / resize / overlay all versions of the artwork plus the above mentioned banners to one single picture to the only fixpoint they all have the NTAE/NIN lettering? I would do that by myself, but I don't know how. Does it make sense, anyway? Many questions, little answers and hey, it's biiiiig fun again, thx Mr. T-Rezzo. Have a nice Sunday everybody.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I really don't know but the serial killer thing does not fit for me. Nine inch nails songs and albums are always about a struggle. Whether with love or a specific person (eat your heart out steve), ones sanity or drugs or the government or struggling to come to terms with ones place in the world or ones past. That's at least what I've gotten while listening. I think this album falls firmly into the same overall arc.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is there a line about systematically killing people? Why serial killers?
    Last edited by nick999; 01-15-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I was having a look around at the page source information on the official site, and discovered another cover variant for NTAE.

Jesus Christ, this all has to mean something.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    None of these are the actual covers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marchissimo View Post
    12,6MB for only 3000x3000 pixels, resize it to 2999x2999 and it's only 5,42MB! I wouldn't call that a normal behaviour, wtf!?! Just a strange mistake or sth hidden in a harmless looking file?
    Has anyone tried changing this file extension to some other format? .zip .mp3 or other? There has to be something inside that bulk of bits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by high def ultra-realism View Post
    Has anyone tried changing this file extension to some other format? .zip .mp3 or other? There has to be something inside that bulk of bits
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I assume you heard about the % jpg quality option ? because neither of you mentionned it.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFLRICK View Post
    Question, folks! Is it worthwhile contacting customer service regarding a corrected FLAC download? I have the original version, untagged, no art, and so on. Any advice?
    We already answered to that strange quetsion : yes.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I see you are doing your best to bait @Shadaloo to solve this one as well.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    just watching the taped documentary 'david bowie: the last five years'.
    when i see the creation and the proces of his album 'the next day' i see similarities with trent's ntae concept. 'looking back in the past, using older album cover(s) etc'. that's what came up....
    also, as we know trent likes to copy other artists thoughts....
    just a thought