Page 74 of 123 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarktrent View Post
    Could the last verse on The Idea Of You (3:00 'till the end) be an outtake from With Teeth? Trent's voice sounds like it could be from that era.
    I also think this voice comes from 2005. It probably features Dave Grohl's drumming from that era too. Just like Dave Navarro's work from Further Down The Spiral is being reused in Burning Bright.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri. View Post
    I also think this voice comes from 2005. It probably features Dave Grohl's drumming from that era too. Just like Dave Navarro's work from Further Down The Spiral is being reused in Burning Bright.
    Is that true? What's being reused from FDTS?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarktrent View Post
    Could the last verse on The Idea Of You (3:00 'till the end) be an outtake from With Teeth? Trent's voice sounds like it could be from that era.
    Aww man, that would be sad. I was actually really happy about Trent sounding so young there. But now that you mention it ... it definitely could be an old recording.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Or...Trent called up the two Daves (since he's friends with them) and asked them to play on the tracks in 2016. Seriously, why do some of you guys think this is just a mish-mash of material from previous eras? I get that the sound of the EP harkens back to some earlier material, but I doubt like hell Trent and Atticus just decided to dust off some old drum and guitar tracks and throw them in there. I mean, it's not like it would be all that difficult to get those guys in the studio for a day or two to work on those tracks.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 01-16-2017 at 03:38 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Why would it be a bad thing? I really don't care if they decided to reuse old material. I think it's a great idea. And we know Trent just basically spend a year listening to his old stuff. He put old lyrics in the files. Also, take a look at that artwork...

I think it's odd to call Dave Navarro and just ask him to play something similar to what we can hear on FDTS, just for one song. Just like calling Dave Ghrol to play something quite basic for The Idea of You (and Trent's voice and lyrics at the end sound so With_Teeth-ish). Also, I believe none of them has publicly said a word about working with Nine Inch Nails again, did they?
    Last edited by Dimitri.; 01-16-2017 at 04:03 AM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I fired up Spotify and it tells me "Get the week started with upbeat music."

No, thank you, Spotify. I will get the week started with Not the Actual Events.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I think it's odd to call Dave Navarro and just ask him to play something similar to what we can hear on FDTS, just for one song. Just like calling Dave Ghrol to play something quite basic for The Idea of You (and Trent's voice and lyrics at the end sound so With_Teeth-ish).
    I think it's odd to say that there's something odd about calling friends up to help you with a track, especially when you have a history of doing so.

Also, I have no idea what you mean about Trent's voice sounding like it's from With Teeth, but maybe that's because Trent's voice has basically sounded the same SINCE With Teeth.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Why would it be a bad thing? I really don't care if they decided to reuse old material. I think it's a great idea. And we know Trent just basically spend a year listening to his old stuff. He put old lyrics in the files. Also, take a look at that artwork...

I think it's odd to call Dave Navarro and just ask him to play something similar to what we can hear on FDTS, just for one song. Just like calling Dave Ghrol to play something quite basic for The Idea of You (and Trent's voice and lyrics at the end sound so With_Teeth-ish). Also, I believe none of them has publicly said a word about working with Nine Inch Nails again, did they?
    The guitar recorded by Navarro for FDTS was the one of the Piggy remix and it sounds nothing like Burning Bright. The only guitar on FDTS that reminds me of Burning Bright is the one recorded by Robin for Self Destruction Part 1.
    Last edited by mauro995; 01-16-2017 at 04:49 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Anyone getting mildly annoyed with the lack of info about the physical component yet?
    Wasn't it supposed to ship week 1 of January?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    believe me or not but I found another hidden pic on nin.com actually it's the same 6th cover but in larger size

http://cdn.nin.com/wp-content/upload..._streaming.jpg

Just for reference, other nin.com stuff :
    http://cdn.nin.com/wp-content/upload...8-500x500.jpeg
    http://cdn.nin.com/wp-content/upload...7BA1FB548.jpeg
    http://cdn.nin.com/wp-content/upload...ng-800x800.jpg
    Last edited by ninjaw; 01-16-2017 at 05:10 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I just realised that the album art that was uploaded to Trent's official instagram account is slightly darker than the original one
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BOFxmn0D...ken-by=treznor

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    believe me or not but I found another hidden pic on nin.com actually it's the same 6th cover but in larger size

Nice. How are you able to find those new ones?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Hmm, I'm wondering if the physical component will just be a bunch of clear sheets that you can stack on top of each other to get different configurations of the cover.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Hmm, I'm wondering if the physical component will just be a bunch of clear sheets that you can stack on top of each other to get different configurations of the cover.
    It's going to be a broken photocopier.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Has anybody noticed the plucking strings in the left channel that start at about 4 and a half minutes in on Burning Bright? They remind me a ton of The Fragile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One thing about The Idea Of Me, is it me or is there some Fight Club influence in this song? It's my favorite movie so when I hear internal conflict such as the conflict presented on this song I can't help but think of Fight Club. I also thought he was referencing Fight Club with the song Copy Of A so I don't see this theory as much of a stretch.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Has anybody noticed the plucking strings in the left channel that start at about 4 and a half minutes in on Burning Bright? They remind me a ton of The Fragile.
    I hear them at the beginning too, right before "I'm going back". Any time I hear a plucked string in a higher register I think, oh my god that sounds like the fragile!! Nin song or not.

I also hear a guitar or keyboard throughout doing hammer ons.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 01-16-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Plucked strings enter at 3:41, but didn't know about ~4:30. Those strings however instantly reminded me of The Fragile

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Wasn't it supposed to ship week 1 of January?
    I ordered mine back on the day of the release, but received an e-mail from Firebrand that “your order is a preorder that is set to ship by the end of January”.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andre78 View Post
    I ordered mine back on the day of the release, but received an e-mail from Firebrand that “your order is a preorder that is set to ship by the end of January”.
    I ordered mine on release day as well, but never got that email. Hell the only emails I got were from the support team. Anyways the physical component page originally stated first week of January. At this point I'm expecting to get it in march just so I don't get any more annoyed than I am now about the whole rollout of these releases.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I've been trying to overlap the cover of the new EP with the one from Deviations 1 and the result works better than I expected https://s24.postimg.org/nkm6gjtdh/nta.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    "Dear World"

"Yes, everyone seems to be asleep": Order in the world is dead, law and justice are virtually non-existent. No one notices because they're glued to their screens and the media feeds everyone lies. The speaker of this sentence is the emotion-less/logical/neutral part of his mind, making it sound robotic, almost omniscient.

Now his more emotional side is trying to justify to himself why he did these acts,"Hey look, you didn't even know this. Couldn't even tell. Just when it started...happening." He's telling himself he needed to do what he did. He feels he needs to kill or be killed: "And we've become obsolete" meaning technology and all the injustice/weakness of the world is rising and real people, like himself are dying off.

In a sort of a flashback, he ponders his situation: "I'm locked inside here, have to stay, with people who aren't here, all the way." -His current life and what he has to deal with, he's planning how to escape it.

"Pictures and faces on display, with people who aren't here all the way": face value is everything in this world, even though they have no substance. He knows now that there are only two types of people left in this world, the ones who have submitted/given up any independent hopes and are fine with just seeing the world go to hell. But then there's people like him, who want something more, and will stop at NOTHING to get it.

He thinks back to how no one knew what was coming: "It is coming and you didn't even notice, yeah you didn't even notice...you were missing". Missing referring to himself, meaning he didn't know 100% what to do at that time, but he was slowly molding into what he would become.

His left channel is the more compassionate, optimistic side: "And yet I remain certain there is an answer in you." He's seen the world gone to hell in his life-span:"I feel like I have lived so long sometimes," but he's not going to give up hope that something can be done. He knows there is an "answer", meaning his own end-goals. And he's straight up bored with his own life: "Run out of things to try to do", he needs to take extreme measures. It's gotten so bad that he "can't concentrate my way out", like he's done for problems in the past. He's been "entirely patient" in the past, but he can't do that this time. This time, he has to give in and go all out on his mission.

His right channel reads more like a conversation with someone. Right off the bat he reveals how he desires one true identity: "I am leaving because I can't recognize who I have been". Once he becomes completely one person, he will be unstoppable. He mentions how he was the person who opened everyone's eyes to the lies of the people he killed (discussed more in the next part, the actual murders) :"Without me you didn't even notice"..."of course it's been happening all along, permanent intervals": there has always been injustice in the world, and I helped you notice. He ends the right channel talking about how a new person in his head is being born: "I begin to go through another of that we have been...But I know I can't trust myself with this again"-He himself doesn't know exactly what he will do.

He knows he needs to kill people in power. The "Yes everyone seems to be asleep" has a new meaning: he's surveyed the scene of the world and has decided to act upon his desires, along with what his mind will say before and after every killing he does. They are sleeping when he approaches their house, and they're sleeping when he leaves.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Idle musings:

Multiple different covers. One of which just replaces the Still text of the original CD. Then, a bunch of photocopies, some darker than others, one black. First sentence that comes to mind for me is, as I'm sure it has for many others: A copy of a copy of a modified Still CD.

Which is itself a corruption of past actual events, as we all know - this isn't what was written on the thing at all.

You know, with the unscrambled text referencing looking back on the past (or at least that's what I made it out to be) in a way one chooses to, isolating and 'remembering things' by design and choice over the way things actually occurred - it wouldn't surprise me to learn stuff has been reused from FDTS, WT etc - familiar past elements assembled in a different way. And that wouldn't be a bad thing at all (not that I'd ever say it was, TR and AR can do whatever the hell they like and I trust it'll be awesome); considering they dusted off old guitars and whatnot, it'd be quite thematically appropriate.

(Ed: For the record, these days I try to stay away from the notion that X album sounds like Y and Z albums had a baby. It's easy to do on a first listen or three, but inevitably a few months on I always find that every NIN album, to my ears, has congealed into having own identity, and NTAE didn't take long at all to do that.)
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 01-16-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: addendum

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Musings 2: Not The Actual Musings:

Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Also, can we take a stab at the weirdo line of "Infected, Japanese / you can tell all your friends you're just a tourist / but you can't understand what they've planned until you try and leave"
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I got a real strong Bowie vibe from these lyrics.
    Bizarre thought that crosses my mind now that I've read this and Harry brought up Bowie:

We all know the history of Bowie's Crystal Japan, right? The song Bowie wrote for a Japanese sake commercial; how on Closure we get TR and DB talking about it, how TR realized he subconsciously nicked the melody For A Warm Place from CJ without realizing it?

Wonder if that's what the 'Infected Japanese' line could refer to. Literally infected at a subconscious level by Bowie's work, criticism thereof juxstaposed with the amazing reaction that and the whole album garnered and expectations since then.

"It was an accident."
    "Hey fuck you, you ripped off David Bowie".
    "Well, I'm moving on and changing music styles anyway."
    "Please go back to making angry music and ripping off David Bowie."

¯\(°_o)/¯

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Musings 2: Not The Actual Musings:

Bizarre thought that crosses my mind now that I've read this and Harry brought up Bowie:

We all know the history of Bowie's Crystal Japan, right? The song Bowie wrote for a Japanese sake commercial; how on Closure we get TR and DB talking about it, how TR realized he subconsciously nicked the melody For A Warm Place from CJ without realizing it?

Wonder if that's what the 'Infected Japanese' line could refer to. Literally infected at a subconscious level by Bowie's work, criticism thereof juxstaposed with the amazing reaction that and the whole album garnered and expectations since then.

"It was an accident."
    "Hey fuck you, you ripped off David Bowie".
    "Well, I'm moving on and changing music styles anyway."
    "Please go back to making angry music and ripping off David Bowie."

¯\(°_o)/¯
    In addition to 'Crystal Japan' it also made me think of "screwed up eyes and screwed down hairdo, like some cat from Japan" and "The shrieking of nothing is killing, just pictures of Jap girls in synthesis."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Bowie and meta analysis is cool. Hmm. Now, though, I just think the line means "Hard to decipher and distorted."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    There's no proof of this, is there? Navarro's guitar tech tweeted that he was excited to have worked on it.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post

Do we need to add any of these to ninwiki?

or this one?

Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    I just realised that the album art that was uploaded to Trent's official instagram account is slightly darker than the original one

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    There's no proof of this, is there? Navarro's guitar tech tweeted that he was excited to have worked on it.
    But rumours are fun!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone determined or proven yet that the cover art is just a digital deconstruction of the promo photo?