Page 53 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i keep listening to this thing.
    i really fucking dig it and hope there is more of this next year.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Dear World is sang by Santa Claus about to drop some motha fuckin breadcrumbs presents
    Last edited by fillow; 12-25-2016 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx
    Spoiler: Looks like the physical component is aSpoiler removed
    Ah yeah, sending out limited dark physical objects with envelopes with anthrax powder is a good way of getting rid of fans forever who's unable to pay at least 20$ for the vinyl (and, obviously, doesn't have turntables) and whining around about 80$ is too much :>>

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i keep listening to this thing.
    i really fucking dig it and hope there is more of this next year.
    Same. I immediately loved all of it way more than HM (which isn't a knock). Even DW, which sounds exactly like HM, I like way more. Proceed.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I understand the people who feel the mastering doesn't let the tracks breathe, and that the layers are too compressed to be able to make them out. Listening to TDS, the layers are clearly differentiated, and it's a pleasure to track the details here and there.

But NTAE is clearly a very claustrophobic release, and I think the mastering is instrumental in that. It's thick, dark, and as Reznor said, unfriendly. It's not here to play nice, it's not your buddy, and it doesn't want to present itself in an openly straightforward fashion.

You ram the whole thing down your throat or you have none of it. There's no bite-sized elements to assimilate.
    well said.
    but for me as an audiophile freak, i'm struggling with it.
    the melody which is playing in my head afterwards is not the same as i can hear on the ep and what wished to hear.
    Last edited by witte; 12-25-2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: word correction

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I really dig the new EP..
    The thing that's bothering me is its roll out. Recycled artwork and basically tricking people into paying for garbage that will make a mess.. just seems like we're being fucked with.. I'll bet there's no reason at all to have used the still art other than it makes us wonder about it and think maybe it means something..
    It's interesting in its nihilistic approach, but kind of annoying at the same time..

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    well said.
    but for me as a audiophile freak, i'm struggling with it.
    the melody which is playing in my head afterwards is not the same as i can hear on the ep and what wished to hear.
    Especially since we've been accustomed to a great level of meticulousness when it comes to details, layers and space. That's also why most of us are fans of NIN, why we talk about soundscapes, why many of us don't mind the soundtrack works : The music is usually a pleasure to explore and deconstruct.

But I find refreshing that Ross and Reznor, after all this time and knowing how precise and knowledgeable they are, could still deliver something so sonically raw.
    That they have still in them the joy to just throw dirt in our faces and deliver music dripping with mud makes me think they haven't been overwhelmed by the craft side of things.

Somehow it could be easy to believe that they're just too clean, no matter the amount of textures and glitches and abrasiveness with which they fill the music. I love that Not The Actual Events has a measure of "Fuck It" to it. It's comforting in its own way, to me. The men who made Broken and Error haven't been swallowed by their perfectionism, and can cast it aside when the project demands it.

That's how I feel about it anyway.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Burning Bright, man, if this song had existed during the Fragility Tour era, it would have lent itself perfectly to that tour and may have gone down as one of the most legendary live performances from nin ever.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Especially since we've been accustomed to a great level of meticulousness when it comes to details, layers and space. That's also why most of us are fans of NIN, why we talk about soundscapes, why many of us don't mind the soundtrack works : The music is usually a pleasure to explore and deconstruct.

But I find refreshing that Ross and Reznor, after all this time and knowing how precise and knowledgeable they are, could still deliver something so sonically raw.
    That they have still in them the joy to just throw dirt in our faces and deliver music dripping with mud makes me think they haven't been overwhelmed by the craft side of things.

Somehow it could be easy to believe that they're just too clean, no matter the amount of textures and glitches and abrasiveness with which they fill the music. I love that Not The Actual Events has a measure of "Fuck It" to it. It's comforting in its own way, to me. The men who made Broken and Error haven't been swallowed by their perfectionism, and can cast it aside when the project demands it.

That's how I feel about it anyway.

Thank you. ^^
    This is exactly "my struggle".

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Usually you give each "instrument" its own space in mix, only limited frequency range, equalize everything outside down for that track. With NTAE, everything overlaps with everything, on purpose of course, and it's brutal. :-) Sorry for stating the obvious and mentioned already probably. Also, I don't believe physical component will be that spoiler.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Burning Bright, man, if this song had existed during the Fragility Tour era, it would have lent itself perfectly to that tour and may have gone down as one of the most legendary live performances from nin ever.
    Well said. I agree. But then I thought The Line Begins to blur would be incredible live. But it doesn't quite translate. Not in the live shows I've seen.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Whoa, you called it right at the beginning
    NAILED IT. 🙌🏻 Can't wait to get mine. Gonna be filthy as fuck.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Godfuckingdamnit. I'm moving in a week and one of the items on the chopping is a VHS to DVD recorder, complete with HDMI output. I do NOT want to pack that damn thing just in case some crazy fan theory turns out to be right.
    I feel your pain. I JUST moved and almost left that thing behind. In the end I decided to bring it (not sure why), and I just hucked it in storage.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I get a major Godflesh vibe from "Burning Bright"...I know TR is supposedly a fan and rumored to have asked Justin Broadrick to join NIN way back in the day (after Patrick left i think)....

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing View Post
    so I use cannabis for medicinal reasons and the other night I decided to listen to the ep a second time after I had started vaping the green.
    Dude, just say you get high. It's fine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Defiance is an emotion that rock and roll does better than about any other medium. People want their anthems. Reznor's got a few of these, but has started to perfect the anti-anthem. I think We're in This Together was the first attempt at this, and now Burning Bright is another example. This track has got some kind of subliminal masterwork going on. Somehow its affirmative, positive lyrics and melody have gotten 'stuck in my head,' but I recall listening and thinking that the track was formless doom metal. Fucking high-five. I think the video accompaniment would conclude that there is an abstract mission at work, here.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted yet but came across this in FB today.
    Yes, it has been posted in spoiler tags because not everyone wants to know that. Please remove that picture and don't ruin the surprise for everyone.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Someone swapped my files too. NTAE sound different tonight.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    I think We're in This Together was the first attempt at this, and now Burning Bright is another example. This track has got some kind of subliminal masterwork going on. Somehow its affirmative, positive lyrics and melody have gotten 'stuck in my head,' but I recall listening and thinking that the track was formless doom metal.
    Don't know if I'm missing the irony here, but where in that song are those "affirmative, positive lyrics" you're speaking of? Lyrically, "Burning Bright" sounds pretty fucking dark to me. Sure, he's singing "I am forgiven, I am free" which could be interpreted as some sort of salvation, but it's the context and the verses that pull this down to one of the darkest NIN songs I know.

Either way, I definitely agree: "Burning Bright" is unbelievably awesome. I can only imagine how well it would translate in a live environment.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Dude, just say you get high. It's fine.
    I said what I wanted to say, thanks.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    So, I was brushing my teeth when I finally remembered what Trent's cries in She's Gone Away remind me of: his cries in 38 Ghosts. Oooooohhhwaaaaahhhhhh.
    Last edited by wizfan; 12-26-2016 at 04:46 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I'm in love with Branches/Bones. The ending just rocks. That's how I love my NIN: Fucking angry and with an obligatory cut-off ending.

Yes, I have been here befoooooore!
    Yeah, I don't care anymoooooore!
    Don't give a fuck anymooooooooooore!
    YEAH I DON'T CAAAARE--

And then directly followed by DW. Which is an already fucking awesome song by itself, but the combination of them both is just insane. Hnngh.

I'm in total fanboy-mode.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The fact that I just read "all Deviations downloads have been sent" kind of makes my blood start to boil, knowing of myself and others that haven't seen so much as a single reply from Firerand since the 23rd, let alone a download link. (Holidays and all, I get it, and I wouldn't expect or want anybody to have to work on that on Christmas Eve/Day, but it seems really, really shitty to public ally say they've all been sent when they CLEARLY HAVE NOT. Ugh. I'm just salty because I was looking forward to having that to listen to and received absolutely zero correspondence before leaving for home for the holidays.

I know it's not the appropriate thread, either, but I wanted to vent, and the thing I saw was in the photoshop higher up on the page, so. �� I'll (try to) contact them again tomorrow. This whole distribution deal is a shit show, and considering everything I ordered has varying release windows, I'm looking forward to seeing how fucked THAT process will be in the coming months.

On topic: This EP is so goddamn "Nine Inch Nails" I can hardly stand it. Still can't stop coming back to it.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 12-26-2016 at 07:03 AM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who doesn't care for "She's Gone Way"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Don't know if I'm missing the irony here, but where in that song are those "affirmative, positive lyrics" you're speaking of? Lyrically, "Burning Bright" sounds pretty fucking dark to me. Sure, he's singing "I am forgiven, I am free" which could be interpreted as some sort of salvation, but it's the context and the verses that pull this down to one of the darkest NIN songs I know.

Either way, I definitely agree: "Burning Bright" is unbelievably awesome. I can only imagine how well it would translate in a live environment.
    "Break through the surface and... BREATHE"
    I wouldn't exactly call it positive either, but that line seems to be indicating some kind of hope inside him still thriving.
    I imagine it being about the ocean he talks about that's taking him away in The Fragile album. But then his survival instincts kick in telling him to go up for air. Maybe I'm thinking too literal about this.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    So many people knock HM up in this rhino. Halfway listening to that one now, I do remember how it's not that strong of an album sequence (linear much?), but it really did/does have some incredibly strong songs. For one thing, "In Two" is goddamn amazing, and I feel like "Running" could sit on NTAE quite easily... (That song is extremely underrated. Full of The Fragile's temperament, IMO.)

I won't say my every negative feeling on the EP...earlier on I did praise it for the direction and changes unique to it, but it is definitely not a favorite release of mine. I tried to give it one last fresh go in the car, and I realized quickly it'd only do more damage. I still do enjoy "Burning Bright" though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I think the only weak part of HM really is Everything and Satellite. One of my favorite NIN albums. Not the Actual Events didn't blow me away at first but it's growing on me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    In Two and Satellite are the tracks that stuck with me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    That's the one track I haven't come around to quite yet. I don't dislike it by any means, but I don't feel much of an urge to play it either. Everything else on the EP has become addictive.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    It falls short for me.