Page 27 of 123 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 ... LastLast

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I am in love with this EP. On listen 10 or something, feels safe to say best NIN since '07. Most abstract NIN ever. Unconventional, harsh. Like it's trying to fight your brain, in that sort of Death Grips way. There's more conventional "songs" in there, they're just trapped behind a big, nasty, unfriendly as fuck wall of noise. Digging it.
    The Idea of You is just a total sonic headfuck. My favourite so far.
    Burning Bright's spoken word sections are absolutely killer, too.

Would agree with what's been said regarding this sounding like the "What happened next" after Black Noise.
    Last edited by GavinCollins420; 12-22-2016 at 06:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minusthesnake View Post
    Right? When I saw the black and white cover that copied Still's design, I figured "Oh it's rushed, so he just went with a kinda generic update of an older design," but redoing the EXACT cover of Still is just fucking baffling.

Also yes, "The Idea of You" is definitely my favorite after three listens.
    i think it all relates to this larger concept trent has with relating the creation of still with the creation of Still, in the vein of HM and TDS

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xvostya View Post
    (Btw nice filenames)

So much for the huge attention to detail.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzomilione View Post
    i think it all relates to this larger concept trent has with relating the creation of still with the creation of Still, in the vein of HM and TDS
    I think maybe it's meant to be ironic since Still is full of piano and is soft, and this EP is the antithesis of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    TR was quoted as saying these wouldn't appear on any digital streaming format when talking about the remasters. For $12, I think it's worth the risk of just buying the EP and enjoying the tracks now rather than waiting.
    NTAE will be on streaming services on 23/12, only the remasters/deviations are exclusive

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    And the first word of the EP is Still ... Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuureeee Trent!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    sigh my downloads still aren't available

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    On initial knee-jerk reaction & feelings about this EP is that it sounds as if Reznor had decided to write and compose Broken during the Lights In The Sky tour. There's an abrasive ambience throughout the whole thing. I love it.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    I disliked She's Gone at first, but man, it is growing on me!! That song feels like chewing on metal. Slowly, painfully.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    So much for the huge attention to detail.
    Not talking about encodings, even regexp s/ //; won't strip 'l' out of actual

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xvostya View Post
    Not talking about encodings, even regexp s/ //; won't strip 'l' out of actual
    Damn, I wish meathead was still active; he would spin this shit on Trent like no one else could

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love the shifting voice from male to female on the first track

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Haven't been on here for a while...
    Oh my god
    This is amazing
    Jesus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Chewing on metal is an excellent expression, fits to the entire EP

Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I disliked She's Gone at first, but man, it is growing on me!! That song feels like chewing on metal. Slowly, painfully.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I listened to this through speakers (loud) and it sounded great, put on headphones as wife was going to bed and needed to hear it again, 3 spins later (also loud), I don't think it sounds as good through headphones.
    Will put it on through speakers tomorrow. My headphones aren't audiophile but are quite descent (few hundred dollars not kmart ear buds).
    But to me it lost its edge with headphones, alittle to crisp maybe. Sounded so raw on first listen through speakers.
    Its got to be loud but also aloud to fill the space, abrasive not nuaisnced and defined if that makes sense.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anouk View Post
    Love the shifting voice from male to female on the first track
    The closest I will ever get to my dream to hear female vox in a NIN track!

(no La Mer comments plssss)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do we get hallucinations after few listenings!?

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    When you're already at work and finally check your email.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It's going to be a long eight hours...
    I saw the e-mail when I got up this morning. Excitedly downloaded it, took an extra few minutes (that I didn't really have) to run to my car and get my USB stick so I could throw the album on there and listen to it on the way to work.

Got in my car, ready to go, excited out of my mind, hit play and...my stereo refused to play the album. "Format not supported." Even though all of my other music is in WAV.

So I feel you. Now I'm at work and I am DYING to hear this. I have a long eight hours ahead of me, followed by a 45 minute drive home, followed by going to the grocery store and then, finally, FINALLY I can go home and figure out what's going on and listen to this thing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The idea of you! fuck yes!

the whole ep is just soo damn awesome. i think i just ruined my speakers for good! \o/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    There are so many elements and motifs from The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, but then again there's so much new stuff that I love on here.
    I did really like Hesitation Marks, but next to this it seems restrained and odd.
    This is absolutely amazing. I'm so glad this is out at this time. I'm going through a particularly difficult time in my life and having something so solid like this to get me through it is really going to help.
    Thank you Trent!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Went ahead and made a mobile version from the WAV files for myself (24/48 Apple Lossless). Added fields you'd normally expect to see for tracks purchased from iTunes... and of course lyrics.

HUZZAH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I did my first listen through of this in complete darkness in the middle of the night. Everything off but my speakers. I'm really glad I made the investment a few months back to buy some awesome speakers and an amp. This EP blasting into my brain in a dark room with my eyes shut is really something fucking else.

I would seriously recommend all of you experience it this way. It's such a different vibe than listening along and posting on ETS at the same time, or whatever else you guys are all doing.
    Your homeowners association is circulating a petition.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Went ahead and made a mobile version from the WAV files for myself (24/48 Apple Lossless). Added fields you'd normally expect to see for tracks purchased from iTunes... and of course lyrics.

HUZZAH!
    So happy you used my transcription of the lyrics. I did it so I could embed it in my iTunes files, glad to save others the work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh man. OK, too much to digest on one listen, but the first time through, "The Idea of You," is the standout. I love how it recalls Zero-Sum during the verses. And DRUMS!!! and guitars too!!!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Alright time to chime in.

First, I think it's safe to say that no one was actually expecting this. I mean no one.
    I've listened to it 3 times so far. Two through cheap headphones. Then I blasted it in my car on my way to work and that's when I fully realized what was hitting me sonically.
    I mean holly shiiiitttt!
    This EP is bananas!!

Burning Bright might be the toughest one to swallow but after a few pass, it really grows on you especially the last couple chorus.
    I instantly fell in love with Dear World. The beginning reminded me of the outro of Atlas Air from Massive Attack.
    Of course we have to talk about The Idea of You. How can we not. I've never rocked that hard to NIN in my car since Wish or MOTP. Felt so fucking good. This is an instant winner.
    She's Gone Away is also a grower but you fee like you're in a somewhat familiar place after the first listen that as soon as you play it again, you just fall in love with it.
    Branches/Bones is a kick as opener. It's a punch straight to the gut. It caught me off guard since I was expecting some sort of intro.

Overall, I'm very fucking pleased about this EP. This is some good shit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Still at work, But Burning Bright is my favourite so far.
    Plenty going on with She's Gone though. Very Dense.

Thats my review, "VERY DENSE" Like Bathing in Dairylea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's so very, very good. Screaming/yelling is back! I tried to think of a combo and what I got was Broken fucked The Greater Good, throw in some Everything for good measure and finally, add in the hard-edge of Error-era-Atticus and you get Not The Actual Events. Yes!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This disc is like knives and steroids running in my veins (I think it's the more realistic metaphor). It's sounds, on my view, like Downward Spiral, especially Burning Bright and Branches/Bones, with a lot of distortion and noise. On the other hand, I see some things of Year Zero, at least in She's Gone Away, and Broken.

I was too sceptical with Atticus' strong arrival, but they're shutting me up. I love this work and his five songs, especially the last one. Thank you, Trent.

By the way, I'm new in this forum. It's a honor for me entry when NIN release a disc. Sorry for this relative bad english

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex of scotland View Post
    Still at work, But Burning Bright is my favourite so far.
    Plenty going on with She's Gone though. Very Dense.

Thats my review, "VERY DENSE" Like Bathing in Dairylea.
    Actually, Given how dense they are. This probably why Trent insists with vinyl and headphones.
    They are not easily accessible songs, Which is what he said in the mission statement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm so pissed off right now! My link is telling me I no longer have access to the download. I haven't even downloaded it yet.