Page 116 of 123 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 114 115 116 117 118 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,480 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Both copies of NTAE that I got have light amounts of the dust on it, I know because it got on my fingers while taking the record out and some smudged onto the bag the record is housed in.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yes, you should, especially before assuming newer format = better sound.
    Assuming ? didn't you heard about BD already ? You told it yourself it was far better...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    That thread was divided from this thread because the exact same thing happened back then. Read through and you'll know what I mean.
    Yes, there was some point it got stuck in CD technical specifications. But now we're talking about a CD release for NTAE. Totally different. Doesn't deem another split.

BYIT did get a CD release
    It didn't. https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Na...me/master/4416

on a far better disc and quality than cd, not the samethat a crappy old awful format, completely not relevant for nin.
    This is ridiculous. Far better disc for video, you mean. Blu-Ray is a video-oriented disc. I see no point for 5.1 music.
    The Blu-Ray or HD-DVD US version comes with Dolby Digital Stereo and Multichannel (both lossy) and Dolby TrueHD (lossless).
    The DVD version comes with Dolby Digital Stereo and Multichannel and DTS.
    I've seen Blu-Ray with LPCM 2.0 but once you are in lossless camp, it's lossless. CD is lossless.
    This is the line where it could deem a topic split again.

For stereo listeners, BYIT is lossy, which is worse than CD... or a downmix from 5.1, which isn't ideal either.
    Not something that the usual listener will ABX from CD. Dolby is quite high bitrate, DTS too.

And still unclear why they reused Still cover, which adds to vagueness. Maybe the answer is there's no answer...
    Well, in the digital files, there is this cover. But I think the official one is the white one in vinyl, the one you can smudge it and make it unique.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Hypothetical since there's no lossless source circulating to ABX from the lossy stereo track. Paging Dave Ogilvie...
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Assuming ? didn't you heard about BD already ? You told it yourself it was far better...
    In terms of capacity, not necessarily content. They didn't include a lossless stereo track on any format of BYIT and unless there is a vinyl release someday with a lossless download included, we're probably never going to get one.
    Last edited by botley; 10-18-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ Hypothetical since there's no lossless source circulating to ABX from the lossy stereo track. Paging Dave Ogilvie...

In terms of capacity, not necessarily content. They didn't include a lossless stereo track on any format of BYIT and unless there is a vinyl release someday with a lossless download included, we're probably never going to get one.
    strikethrough: --This is incorrect.--
    BYIT has a lossless multichannel audio (Dolby TrueHD) on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.
    Does this Dolby TrueHD is only in multichannel form?
    Last edited by Quantum550; 10-18-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yes, only the 5.1 mix is lossless on those discs.

That's a different mix from the Ogilvie stereo mix (it was mixed in 5.1 by Elliot Scheiner) with a different approach. I asked Rob Sheridan once why they included only a lossless 5.1 track and not stereo, and he said they thought audiophiles/HiFi home theatre geeks would be paying more attention to the surround, and not so much the stereo.

Anyway, back to NTAE.
    Last edited by botley; 10-18-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    A sample size of two doesn't mean they're all unique. See: stickers in AV PC, Slip CD stickers, NtAE PC having a few different inserts etc.
    printing the artwork for a record can actually be more expensive than pressing the records themselves most of the time. there is no way they printed multiple iterations of outer sleeves. they already sprung for the two different inner sleeves (the red & the blue), which i'm sure bumped up the cost of production a bit.

the dust/fingerprinting on the sleeves is manual and unique to each record, they just didn't use anywhere near as much dust as they did with the physical components. (and i have a sample size of more than two, since i also bought a copy for a friend, and i saw @kleiner352 's signed copy when we went to reckless together for the Q&A, not to mention a bunch of other people's signed copies when i was there)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    someone ring up teitan and ask him to get to the bottom of this

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    This is ridiculous. Far better disc for video, you mean. Blu-Ray is a video-oriented disc. I see no point for 5.1 music.
    The Blu-Ray or HD-DVD US version comes with Dolby Digital Stereo and Multichannel (both lossy) and Dolby TrueHD (lossless).
    The DVD version comes with Dolby Digital Stereo and Multichannel and DTS.
    I've seen Blu-Ray with LPCM 2.0 but once you are in lossless camp, it's lossless. CD is lossless.
    This is the line where it could deem a topic split again.
    I've seen artists release albums on Blu-ray and honestly believe that's the direction the disc format should go in. It doesn't have to be 5.1, there's releases with stereo on Blu-ray. You get superior audio quality since it can hold 24 bit. Underworld remastered and reissued their album Dubnobasswithmyheadman on Blu-ray as well as Nirvana's Nevermind and In Utero. The Blu-ray format has many cool options you don't get with the standard redbook CD. 24 bit audio, the ability to include stereo and surround sound, and the ability to include visuals/art. Plus Blu-ray players are usually hooked up the interweb, so the ability to connect people across the world.

Imagine if the next NIN EP's physical component is a Blu-ray with secret files and folders to explore that expands the world Trent is building around Year Zero and his discography. Having the ability to listen to the EP in 24 bit and including visuals to go along with the experience. Imagine Add Violence manual being turned into a Blu-ray and having the codes lyrics being something on screen with the music. Having the ability to control the machine on the cover and change settings and see what it may unlock. What if your disc gives you special access to an online ARG that also connects you with other fans trying to figure out its secrets.

Utilizing the Blu-ray for a full on immersive experience of audio, and visual and bridging the physical and virtual world is something I've been working on for my own music project. Such amazing potential there is with this format that is being ignored and wasted. Artists need to start thinking outside the box to bring a new, unique, and engaging experience. The physical components are a step in the right direction.
    Last edited by neorev; 10-19-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I didn't mean anything like that, the only thing ridiculous is this sentence. After dvd audio they choose to sell bluray audio, we actually have a trent reznor music on bluray audio.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I didn't mean anything like that, the only thing ridiculous is this sentence. After dvd audio they choose to sell bluray audio, we actually have a trent reznor music on bluray audio.
    Blu-Ray is a corpse.
    It even didn't take over as a proper profitable medium for movies.
    Since you watch a movie only once or twice in a lifetime, it doesn't make sense having the physical product.
    WEB-DLs smashed Blu-Ray.

CD is still very useful for music archiving though (and playing).

And this is my last opinion on this, gonna stop to bite the bait... back to "Not The Actual Events"!

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Blu-Ray is a corpse.
    Since you watch a movie only once or twice in a lifetime, it doesn't make sense having the physical product.
    WEB-DLs smashed Blu-Ray.

CD is still very useful for music archiving though (and playing).

And this is my last opinion on this, gonna stop to bite the bait... back to "Not The Actual Events"!
    Your last opinion is one more time completly out of subject... wow

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Your last opinion is one more time completly out of subject... wow
    LOL, I won't reply to this.
    Get back to the EP.

So is it coming out only on vinyl?
    I just read an interview put up for an external link on NIN.com and it looks like Trent is very stubborn about this...
    No hopes...

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    LOL, I won't reply to this.
    Get back to the EP.
    Please that would be more ridiculous

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Blu-Ray is a corpse.
    WEB-DLs smashed Blu-Ray.
    I'm sorry, but you completely lost me here. Why is it that there's so many Blu-ray Disc and Blu-ray Remux copies on torrent sites then? Go read the threads and you will be seeing folks saying "I can't wait for the Blu-ray rip" or "Where's the Blu-ray copy?" Blu-ray took over the medium for movies, especially if you want quality. I'm sorry but a WEB-DL is nowhere near the quality of a Blu-ray disc. Even streaming still has troubles with fully handling darker colors and shades. You will see pixelation on Netflix, Amazon, iTunes streams. WEB-DLs are the MP3 of movies. So please lord, don't ever let this be IT. There's a reason why a Blu-ray disc of a movie is 40-50gbs big on torrent sites versus a WEB-DL being 5gbs. It's convenience over quality. The amount of information and quality being lost is massive. A WEB-DL may look good on your laptop, but it looks like ass on higher quality TVs. I always wait for a BDRip, Remux, or Blu-ray disc before watching a movie. And if you only watch a movie once or twice in your lifetime, then it must be a pretty crap movie.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Since you watch a movie only once or twice in a lifetime...
    Uh, I can't speak for anyone else, but I've watched a lot of my Blu-rays more than once or twice in this year alone. Web/streaming versions also tend to be compressed more than Blu-ray versions to save file space.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    There's another thread where you can discuss the merits of one media format over another. This is not that thread. You're doing a shit job of convincing each other. Bring it back home, thanks.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    There's another thread where you can discuss the merits of one media format over another. This is not that thread. You're doing a shit job of convincing each other. Bring it back home, thanks.

But seriously, what the fuck is up with the backwards audio, did we ever figure it out

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    But seriously, what the fuck is up with the backwards audio, did we ever figure it out
    Do they actually do that kind of thing in America? Oh my God!

I'm sorry, but you completely lost me here. Why is it that there's so many Blu-ray Disc (...) I always wait for a BDRip, Remux, or Blu-ray disc before watching a movie. And if you only watch a movie once or twice in your lifetime, then it must be a pretty crap movie.
    I would reply to this, but no. I had every counter-argument, but no.
    Let's follow the kind recommendations of @Leviathant
    Thanks
    Last edited by Quantum550; 10-23-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Do they actually do that kind of thing in America? Oh my God!
    I mean, a) I'm not American and b) whut

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just saw a listing on eBay for NTAE pre-sale with 10x available: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292305190841

Please note - This is a presale order, release date for this 12'' is Friday 17th November.

New distribution channel?

EDIT: seems to be all DEs with 17th Nov release date, second seller on eBay to. Interesting..
    Last edited by nufan; 10-25-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I just got an Amazon.com update for the CD version that it is now due to be delivered November 30th (i'm in UK ordering from US amazon). Ordered it for my sister who really just wants to get cds so I'm pleased it will be before Christmas

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I dunno if this has been said anymore but Burning Bright and We Fade Away both end with the same lyrics.

I can't tell if I am dreaming anymore.

Also Dear World, is really starting to grow on me

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan View Post
    Just saw a listing on eBay for NTAE pre-sale with 10x available: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292305190841

Please note - This is a presale order, release date for this 12'' is Friday 17th November.

New distribution channel?

EDIT: seems to be all DEs with 17th Nov release date, second seller on eBay to. Interesting..
    I'm confused. This is readily available on nin.com right now. Why are you concerned with a pre-order on ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I just got an Amazon.com update for the CD version that it is now due to be delivered November 30th (i'm in UK ordering from US amazon). Ordered it for my sister who really just wants to get cds so I'm pleased it will be before Christmas
    I can't seem to find the NTAE CD on amazon any longer. Is it just me? Maybe you can see it because you added it to your "Saved for Later" section?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    My order got updated to delivering the 17th. Maybe someone decided to have a modest batch of CDs made to quiet down the anti vinyl crowd.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I'm confused. This is readily available on nin.com right now. Why are you concerned with a pre-order on ebay?

I can't seem to find the NTAE CD on amazon any longer. Is it just me? Maybe you can see it because you added it to your "Saved for Later" section?
    It's because I actually preordered it i think

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Uh because Sandbag. If I can get the rest of the DEs from another channel that would be my preference.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Amazon now has NTAE listed for 11/17.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    https://www.amazon.com/Actual-Events...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

However, it's listed as "currently unavailable".

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    So...do we think those who pre-ordered the NTAE CD are going to get some weird fake thing around 11/17 or an email letting us know the date has been moved again?

This is kind of exciting...