Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien: Covenant

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    2nd poster up on the official movie site for download:

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    and the new trailer hits the web tomorrow apparently.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Holy fuck!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    That's going to be one hell of a joyride. Bring it on I say!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Uh... what?

Yeah, this looks awful. Expectations six feet under. Forget everything I said about the things being sneaky and creepy again, they're totally cartoon bugs now. Can't believe I want fucking ADI back.

Also, holy shit, that mid-90s quality greenscreen at 2:18. More like Alien: Genisys, harr harr. Jesus, Scott.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Looks like its going to be a pretty fun movie.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Not too worried about any lackluster CGI just yet. Other than that, I'm neither particularly turned on or off from the trailer. Still, that musical piece between 1:00-1:25 sounds like it could be developed into a kickass track, right up Trent & Atticus' alley.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Perhaps the sequel to Alien: Covenant will be Alien: Paradise.
    "The path to paradise begins in hell.
    I think it was Shaw who said the word 'paradise' in Prometheus. A 2010 article notes the title of what later became Prometheus as "Paradise". Damon Lindelof's draft of the Prometheus script was "Paradise". The sequel to Prometheus, at one point, was to be "Paradise", which later was changed to "Alien: Paradise Lost". I can't track down the article where I read the Prometheus sequel being Paradise, though.
    http://www.vulture.com/2010/12/parad..._scotts_a.html

http://collider.com/prometheus-script-damon-lindelof/
    That tagline in the new trailer makes me think the next film will finally be Alien: Paradise.
    Alien: Paradise Lost is a bit too Miltony.

Question: How is wheat "human vegetation"? Can he recognize it as a genetically modified wheat? The wording should have been "Earth vegetation".
    Last edited by Findus; 03-01-2017 at 12:24 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    The new Neomorph looks crazy aggressive. Can't wait to see more of it.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 03-01-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    The new white xenomorph looks a crazy aggressive. Can't wait to see more of it.
    It's a Neomorph! GOSH!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    It's a Neomorph! GOSH!

Exactly what I said. Totally did not edit my post

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Ugh... what?!?!

Even if I assume that the CGI is just not finished, and will look significantly better in the final movie... There is something highly embarrassing about this whole mess! Cringe! The whole "couples traveling to start a human colony" idea seems very simplistic, and... first ever large scale colonization effort? Isn't this movie only 60some years before Alien, which is only 60some years before Aliens, where colonization is definitely not a big deal anymore, exomoon LV-426 has a colony and Ripley's mind is not blown that such thing exists, it is sort of an everyday thing that humans have cities on planets other than Earth. I really feel that this movie (and Prometheus) didn't come from a coherent idea of what to do with this world/what story to tell, but just a bunch of scenes thrown together.

(Don't get me wrong, I'll see it on the big screen -hell, I even saw Terminator Genisys in theaters- but my hopes that this movie would wash out the bad taste Prometheus left in my mouth is gone)

The only part I liked was the "Do you hear it?" "What?" "Nothing. No birds, no animals. Nothing." That was cool.

What pisses me off is that there is SO MUCH potential for a really intelligent, smart sci-fi movie here! The same way Ridley Scott promised to explore man's origins in the stars with Prometheus (which he didn't end up doing at all), here, if they said let's explore human colonization of an earth-like planet, I would be interested in that. But it looks like just a surface-deep coat of paint on a super-generic blockbuster.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Is there anything that started 60 years ago (much less 120) that blows your mind today? It's been almost exactly that long since we started sending satellites into space, and as a society that's not generally considered to be amazing anymore.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    sheesh. some of you people will bitch about absolutely anything you can.

frigging relax and enjoy life a bit.

I think it looks cool and creepy.

and I loved prometheus. Alien is my favorite series of films. I love 1-3. resurrection was silly but sheesh.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I'm excited for this after seeing half the trailer (they show too much in trailers these days).

Prometheus was good (but not great), and I haven't been fired up for a SF film since Mad Max. I thought The Arrival was meh.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I'm excited for this after seeing half the trailer (they show too much in trailers these days)
    This is true for a lot of trailers. But I don't feel it's the case with this movie.

Let's face it: since Alien, we are 100% sure of one thing: humans will meet xenomorphs (or in this case neomorphs) and humans will get their asses kick and there will be a lot of blood. What has me coming back to this series is the back story (who is/are the Space Jockey/Engineers, where are they from, what do they want, what happened to them, what's up with Weyland Corp, bad androids: why?) and Aliens kicking some serious, clueless asses.

It's been reported somewhere on the Internet that Ridley Scott said "They want aliens, I'll give them fucking aliens." after viewers whined about the lack of them in Prometheus. And look at what this trailer is giving us: humans getting their asses kicked by very determined Aliens. Seriously: that last one, bashing its head on the window to break it? That was awesome.

So yes, I'm excited about seeing the blood, the gore and the teeth. But I also want to know what happened to Shaw, what psycho head-David has been up to after being reunited with his body (besides growing wheat; what?) and mostly: what about them Engineers?

And why is Walter's name starting with a "W"? It's supposed to be an "E"!

I cannot wait.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The only thing that bothers me about this franchise is that they seem to suggest that the aliens were created by the engineers. I much more like the idea of them being a race that evolved on some distant rock in a way that made it perfect for intergalactic infestation.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    It kind of looks like garbage but I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it anyway. I feel like I'm the only one among my friends who enjoyed Prometheus.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    It kind of looks like garbage but I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it anyway. I feel like I'm the only one among my friends who enjoyed Prometheus.
    my friend dan & i both really liked prometheus and we will both continue to defend it, despite the plethora of "smart people" in the movie who make really, really terrible decisions. all of our other friends think we're insane.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    anyone else think that movie "Life" is gonna bomb, partly b/c it resembles the Alien franchise a little too much? Especially in the "smart people making extremely dumb decisions" area?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    anyone else think that movie "Life" is gonna bomb, partly b/c it resembles the Alien franchise a little too much? Especially in the "smart people making extremely dumb decisions" area?
    It's going to bomb because it's going to be drowned in the noise of Kong: Skull Island and of The Belko Experiment (a little movie written by James Gunn, who is doing an awesome job at promoting it on Facebook right now). There's barely any publicity about Life despite having Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds in the cast.

But yes; to quote the late great Yogi Berra: this movie is déjà vu all over again.

Also: I love Prometheus so I guess I'm insane too.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    just watched alien3 which people hated when it came out, i found it pretty good,
    -louie

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I love sci-fi films and the first Alien is one of my favorites. I liked Prometheus and I am looking forward to Alien Covenant. Life I am not sure about but I will most likely see it. It has been my experience that the more they promote a movie and if they do a lot of promotion months ahead of the release the worse the movie is. Its not always the case but it seems that way to me.
    I think the genre of sci-fi can fall into a lot of the pitfalls that the horror genre can fall into with similar story lines and characters that are predictable. I like Ridley Scott so I'm down for Alien Covenant not so sure about Life.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Loved Prometheus, I like Alien³ but mainly for their overall potential that they never could show. Then again I might be the only person on earth that doesn't like Aliens. Something about marines in space fighting Aliens just doesn't click with me.

Rewatched the first Alien a couple of days ago and god damn it is truly a masterpiece. All the little details and the build up, I love it and I totally forgot how little you see of the Alien in it. The Covenant trailer already has more of it than the actual first movie I guess. Still looking forward to this as I want to know what's up with the Engineers and hell, Michael Fassbender ladies and gentlemen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Loved Prometheus, I like Alien³ but mainly for their overall potential that they never could show. Then again I might be the only person on earth that doesn't like Aliens.
    Alien 3 is my favorite in the series with the original being a close second. I thought it really had the same space horror feel of the original, but with a better concept. One of my all-time favorite movies. I always felt like Aliens felt out of place. More of a straight action movie. I don't think it is terrible, but not even close to 1 or 3.

I never understood the hate for Prometheus. I thought the movie was great. It definitely had some issues, but I feel like most of those could be resolved with a good director's cut... I thought the deleted scenes they already release showed a lot of potential for correcting some of the "WTF?" moments of the original cut.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    A big thing with Prometheus is that the rewrite for it that Lindelof did totally fucked with it. You can pretty easily find the earlier version out there online, and it's a far better read.

My headcannon for why the scientists are all so terrible at their jobs is that the daughter intentionally hired terrible people to sabotage her father's mission, but I'm also someone of the opinion that if you have to headcannon things for them to make sense, then the story failed in some way. I still actually like it quite a bit -- it's gorgeous enough visually that I almost couldn't care less about everything else going on, and Fassbender is so good as David that I it's just extra for me -- but I definitely understand the reservations so many people have with it.

I'm hoping I dig Covenant. Scott saying he could make six more has me less-than-hyped, though, because I really don't need more for the sake of more. Regardless I know I'm going to be seeing this the night it opens because I am hopeless and who am I kidding?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Meet Walter, nice guy.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just remembered that the trailer for this that was before Logan looked a hundred times better... a bit more intrigued this time around.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    How come there are cyborgs in the prequels that supposedly much superior and more advanced than Ash and Bishop from later films?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    How come there are cyborgs in the prequels that supposedly much superior and more advanced than Ash and Bishop from later films?
    Because they never anticipated the prequels when they made the originals and Ridley Scott don't give a fuck and any answer they give in-universe will be a way of making up for that through the narrative.