Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien: Covenant

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    How come there are cyborgs in the prequels that supposedly much superior and more advanced than Ash and Bishop from later films?
    Maybe Weiland Industries had a few bad years and had to change production methods to save money... Are we sure bishop and ash were current models at the time? I guess this would be the same questions as to why the ships, equipment, clothing and hair styles also don't seem to be "advanced" in the future.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    How come there are cyborgs in the prequels that supposedly much superior and more advanced than Ash and Bishop from later films?
    do we know how long the tour of the Nostromo took? wikipedia says nothing about the duration. so it is at least possible that they started before the prequel timeline begins. or not? eh
    Last edited by baudolino; 03-10-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baudolino View Post
    do we know how long the tour of the Nostromo took? wikipedia says nothing about the duration. so it is at least possible that they started before the prequel timeline begins. or not? eh
    If you look at the bots that are in the Alien Isolation game, which happens a decade or 2 after the events of Alien, they are super primitive. An argument could be made that the scope of the mission defines how advanced of a robot they need.

Is David really all that more advanced (physically) than Bishop? I recall reading that the story behind Walter is that David was "too human" and that he was scaled back to be more robotic and subservient.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I mean, this was a rhetorical question. I know stuff like this happens all the time with prequels. It just bugs me is all.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Well, seems like Scott wants to make 4 more Alien movies depending on how this one does.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    What do you all think of the big spoiler that's going around the net, that Spoiler: David created the xenomorphs?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Doesn't sit well with me at all. Yet again I absolutely hate the fact that Ridley talks in such dubious manner and of course journalists doing the set visits get him wrong 90% of the time.

I am still looking forward to this movie either way and only our own viewing will put things into perspective. I guess this movie probably won't answer a lot of questions, but raise a lot of new ones.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    What do you all think of the big spoiler that's going around the net, that Spoiler: David created the xenomorphs?
    I was thinking that myself. Wouldn't surprise me at all. It would be a cheap move though.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I was kinda riffing on twitter about Alien shit but i was saying how besides hoping they turn out to be any good that i really don't want all these new Alien movies to be reduced to just the Xenomorph(s) being a Freddy Krueger/Michael Myers that just hunts down a new set of people every movie. I mean yes, keep the danger alive, keep the Xenomorph fucking terrifying and something you want to avoid at all costs but i really want to get into the mythology of this shit, if these movies aren't moving anything along plot-wise and are just the same thing all the god damn time it's gonna piss me off. These movies also need someone like Ripley that we can follow along the story with. If it's just an entirely new crew every time it loses some kind of "hero" to champion and develop an attachment to.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Wondering what the differences will be with this release of the Alien Anthology on Blu-ray? Probably just the internal packaging.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    http://www.nme.com/news/film/alien-c...eviews-2032097

3 new short trailers
    looks spooky

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Promotional X-Ray images of the main cast, lurkings within

Probably not actual spoilers as clearly not everyone dies via chestburster or backburster or whatever these crazy kids are bursting out of these days

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Some amazing, if spoiler-ish new stills from Empire magazine:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2017/04/21/...agazine-scans/

The main attraction looks proper great in these. Hope those practical effects survive post-production.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    April 26th for Oculus:

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Someone call for a tease?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Just got back from a consecutive cinema screening of Alien and Prometheus. As well as the new short (which apparently won't be in the film), they also showed three full scenes from Covenant.

I've been sceptical, but have to admit, it does look good. Pleasingly gory, and the creature design for the 'birthing' scenes pays surprising homage to Alien 3. Prometheus also feels a lot more acceptable as a film now that we're just a few weeks away from tying some of its myriad loose ends.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Someone call for a tease?
    I'm curious if this will be part of the movie at all. If not, I think it would be pretty disappointing if the sequel to Prometheus basically ignores (and/or kills off-screen) the main character from Prometheus. It'll be even worse than how Alien 3 wiped out Hicks and Newt during the opening credits (although I LOVE Fincher's directing of that sequence). Even if it is how the movie kicks off, it still feels strange and disappointing to have her survive all of the events of the first movie, only to reduce her role and importance to a 2-minute prologue or, even worse, a special feature/deleted scene for the DVD/Blu-ray. Regardless of all that, I do think it looks pretty good and I am excited for it. It's just starting to feel like they just wanted to reboot the Alien franchise yet again (albeit a soft reboot this time) because of the mixed/negative reception of Prometheus. Hopefully they at least knew what kind of movie they want it to be this time. I liked Prometheus, but it clearly was pulled in two directions and, as a result, has a bit of an identity crisis as a movie. It was going to be an Alien prequel, but then it wasn't and was instead meant to be a stand-alone movie in the same universe. But then Ridley said it was a prequel again. It originally had more traditional Alien elements, like chest-bursters, but then they (Lindelof?) rewrote it to rely less on those hallmarks of the Alien franchise, but then they threw in the Proto-Xenomorph/Deacon alien at the end. As I said, I really liked Prometheus (despite some flaws, which I feel could be mostly fixed by a good sequel), but I can see why others take issue with several things in it.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Lots of neat releases/announcements for Alien Day, but among my favorites are:

Reebok Alien Stomper(s)

Mondo vinyl release of the original film's soundtrack (in 2 or 4xLP configurations).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I'm curious if this will be part of the movie at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    As well as the new short (which apparently won't be in the film)
    ...That being said, just because this sequence won't be in the movie, doesn't necessarily mean we won't see anything about what happened to Elizabeth. We know David makes it, and they wouldn't go to the trouble of hiring Noomi Rapace just for a viral promo.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    ...That being said, just because this sequence won't be in the movie, doesn't necessarily mean we won't see anything about what happened to Elizabeth. We know David makes it, and they wouldn't go to the trouble of hiring Noomi Rapace just for a viral promo.

Well, there have already been two shorts (three, if you count the Walter one) released so far. Who knows for sure if the "new short" mentioned is one of the ones we've seen. Anyway, she's clearly not one of the main cast members and the dog tag seen in the trailer doesn't bode well for her either.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    It's been confirmed that Rapace is in the movie itself, we just don't know if it's via flashbacks, a mere hologram or a real appearance.

On the other side of things I got to take a look at two scenes from the movie. The first being the dropship entering the atmosphere of "Paradise" and the second being the birth of the new creature. And what can I say? I am somewhat let down yet highly excited. The latter scene is just pure Alien, bloody and gory, uneasy and somewhat awkward just the way you'd like it from these movies. The acting in general seems way more intense and heartfelt this time around whether it's the reaction of a crew member dying or the tense atmosphere while being shaken around in the drop ship.

Can't wait to see this movie play out and especially if the Engineer storyline is indeed still being followed, which I hope despite being excited to see the Xenomporh in all its glory. Resurrected and close to the original.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    10 minutes of the film shown on Alien Day after screenings. Contains a fair amount of gore and at least four deaths.

I dunno man...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    whoa. This looks legit.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Blomkamp's Alien movie is officially dead.
    I am actually happy. Hated his Alien 5 idea.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It was a terrible fan film idea that just happened to been birthed from a director who has worked on a few mid-size movies. I'm glad it's not going to happen anymore, especially after Chappie was such a mess.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm one of the few that absolutely loves Alien 3 Assembly Cut from the Anthology boxset. I always liked the theatrical cut, but the assembly cut is much better. I got my girl to sit down and watch the four Alien movies finally and even she thought 3 was the best. So it has its fans. We both thought Resurrection was trash though. Honestly should have ended with 3. We both enjoyed Prometheus and looking forward to Covenant. A lot of the cut religious stuff from the third film fits what Scott is doing with the new movies.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'm one of the few that absolutely loves Alien 3 Assembly Cut from the Anthology boxset. I always liked the theatrical cut, but the assembly cut is much better. I got my girl to sit down and watch the four Alien movies finally and even she thought 3 was the best. So it has its fans. We both thought Resurrection was trash though. Honestly should have ended with 3. We both enjoyed Prometheus and looking forward to Covenant. A lot of the cut religious stuff from the third film fits what Scott is doing with the new movies.
    I love the Alien 3 Assembly Cut more than both cuts of Aliens. I'm glad more and more people are starting to discover and love the third one.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @raptors661
    It was always my favorite one... yes, even the theatrical cut. But it's insane HOW MUCH they cut out with the assembly cut. Literally all character development was cut from the theatrical version. With the assembly cut, you actually get to know more of the prisoners and lets you connect with these people. This series is all about Ripley. I'm glad Alien 3 brought it back to that. Instead of going bigger and grander, they brought it back to the roots of the original. Ripley versus the xenomorph. The deaths of Hicks and Newt was like the death of Ned Stark. It made you realize no one is frigging safe. It helped raise the stakes.

I've said it before, what happens to Newt in 3 really makes that scene with Ripley and Newt in Aliens when she promises to look over Newt as she sleeps even more poignant. She swore on her life to protect her while she slept only to have Newt die in her hypersleep. And it shows that while this alien is living, no one will ever be truely safe. In the end, Ripley held up her end of the promise. It's a shame Cameron cut the whole daughter storyline from the theatrical cut because it connects with her instant parental protection over Newt. To lose her daughter while in hypersleep between 1 and 2 only to lose this daughter-like figure she found in Newt again in hypersleep. You have to put yourself into the head of Ripley during the events of 3. This is what makes her sacrifice at the end even more emotional. The reveal of human Bishop, so good.

To me, Alien with Ripley will always be a trilogy. Possibly one of the greatest trilogies. Resurrection is just more fan fic nonsense like Blomkamp's Alien 5. Sadly, Resurrection actually got made. :P
    Last edited by neorev; 05-01-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    It's still lame how they killed off Newt and Michael Biehn tho