Thread: 2016 Live Speculation

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

2016 Live Speculation

Stole @kleiner352 's idea because I love him. ^_^

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    T-Rez said "we will return" in front of Moscow audience in '07.
    We remember.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Just to have all current info in this thread and not split across other places:

- Last tour wasn't billed as a farewell tour, but Trent said at many shows (one I went to included) that it may be the last, and went on to give varying answers in interviews, at one point claiming that he was already thinking of what they would do next, while still saying that he doesn't feel the burning need to tour that he once did.

- Trent tweets "New NIN in 2016. Other stuff, too."

- Someone linked to a forum where someone claimed to know a person working on a major festival claims that The Moment Factory (who designed the LitS, Tension and festival/2014 panel visuals and stage productions) are working on something major for Trent Reznor, without any confirmation/sources.

Aside from that, there's the fact that so far, a full-length LP (sold as one, and I say that just to avoid the old as dirt "Is Broken an album?" debate) has never been released without NIN doing some capacity of touring. Year Zero came out without US dates at first, but NIN toured extensively in 2007 and, on the LitS tour, supported YZ, Ghosts and The Slip, so it would be a first (unless you count Broken and/or Still) if there isn't some amount of touring.

Also, his kids might now be at an age where it might be easier for Trent to travel. Last tour, his family accompanied all along the way and I believe it was Mariqueen who described it as a family adventure of sorts. That's got to add a lot of stress and complications and could at this point be either a plus or a minus in the likelihood of touring.

No other band members have mentioned anything, which again, could be taken as a pro or a con. Alessandro Cortini said in an interview in (I think?) late 2014 that it was all up to Trent and that in his mind he felt that if the 2014 NA dates were the last, they'd be a good note to go out on.

So at this point it really is a big bag of "We don't know." Personally I think that if Trent knew for sure that they won't be touring, that he'd say so upfront. The fact that he's not mentioned it at all makes me think that it's at least being considered, if not decided on.

As far as the Moment Factory rumor, does anyone know at what stage they get involved? Are visuals started on before rehearsal? The behind the scenes videos for 2013 made it seem symbiotic but IIRC the LitS BTS on Another Version of the Truth shows them displaying tech to Trent and then proceeding from there. If it's something they wouldn't start before a live band has been picked and rehearsals have begun, then I doubt that rumor strongly since we'd almost certainly have had some form of a leak by now. If not, anything's likely.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Club tour... That is all.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    Club tour... That is all.
    As much as I'd love to see them in a club, I'd also love to be able to get tickets, and all I've ever seen people say about each and every club tour they've done is how notoriously hard to get they were.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    - Last tour wasn't billed as a farewell tour, but Trent said at many shows (one I went to included) that it may be the last, and went on to give varying answers in interviews, at one point claiming that he was already thinking of what they would do next, while still saying that he doesn't feel the burning need to tour that he once did.
    In the last minute of this interview in Mexico - he says after Gone Girl the intention is to start on another NIN album, that could take a few months or years, then there will likely be shows and he would like to play their own show in Mexico. (because she asks him whether he was going to do his own show rather than a festival in Mexico)

Maybe he said all that stuff about maybe not touring again to stop people bugging him or maybe he was just tired?

Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    As much as I'd love to see them in a club, I'd also love to be able to get tickets, and all I've ever seen people say about each and every club tour they've done is how notoriously hard to get they were.
    Agreed - I don't want a repeat of London Scala!
    Last edited by WorzelG; 01-07-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @WorzelG I think burn-out had everything to do with it. It wasn't until those NA dates that he started saying anything about hanging it up again (as far as I know, by all means correct me if I'm wrong) and it was just the end of an extremely long touring cycle that couldn't have been more tiring considering how many different legs there were, different productions, setlists, band members and massive overhauls of the lineups, etc., all the while taking his family along with him and then in the only large downtime between legs working on a really massive film score, and still working out the whole filming thing that was supposed to comprise the NIN Live blu ray set (even if it's been cancelled or shelved).

He's always been someone who maybe speaks a little too soon about what's on his mind; a lot of artists are, and there's a good shot that he just found himself feeling exhausted and, at the time, really not finding it appealing anymore, but given some time to recharge feels differently. NIN's taken breaks quite a lot in the past before and it wouldn't be anything new for him to change his mind about it, I just hope after the last cycle that he's figured out how to avoid that deep exhaustion and maybe space out legs a bit more.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Still set please.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    All the info from the two posts at inforoo: "Not quite sure how relevant this is when concerning headliners...but a vendor I work with is working closely with Moment Factory on stage production for a Trent Reznor project. Not sure if it's for Nine Inch Nails or a side project tho, would Nine Inch Nails even be considered a headliner? Trent will at least be touring in 2016 if they're working on live production now."

"Nowhere near what Muse or U2 (also done by Moment Factory) rolled out this year, it's being designed in a much different way. The above-crowd truss needs to be attached to a load bearing support, as there are mechanics involved to help lower the lighting to within feet of the crowd. This looks to be a pretty big part of the actual production, I can't imagine them foregoing this aspect of the production in order to play a festival. Again, they may be planning additional shows with a a more stripped down version of the production, but we've heard no evidence of this as of yet. Also, the anticipated date for final build on this is scheduled for May, I'd expect shows in August at the earliest."

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    All the info from the two posts at inforoo:
    Mind posting a link to that?...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Why is everyone so sure that TR and friends will be hitting the road again? Can't he just release a new album for the sake of releasing a new album and not have a tour accompany it? It almost seems like it's "too soon" to be honest. Hesitation Marks drops in late 2013 and he went on an extensive world tour for a whole year. He's only had a year and a half to rest from touring, he is seriously ready to jump back on the saddle this soon? I thought he made some comment saying this is the last live incarnation he sees for the foreseeable future. I know TR likes to go back on his word a lot, but it almost just seems like it's too soon.

I don't want to sound like i'm complaining here, i'd LOVE to see NIN again in 2016! I'd love to do some more traveling and see some more shows. I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment here. I need to be strategic with my vacation time this year. I'm trying to plan what festival or events I want to attend, but I don't want to wait too long and then I miss the boat on everything fun while waiting for these "supposive" tour dates that never come. And on the other hand, I don't want to start booking a vacation for a festival or trip somewhere else only to have TR drop a tour on us and I have no money/vacation left because I blew it on a half assed event.

I hope we have word sooner rather than later. As of now, i'm waiting for the rockfest lineup to be announced to decided if I want to go out to Quebec in June. If that sucks, then I guess I'll hold off for NIN.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 01-08-2016 at 12:50 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

2016 Live Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post

http://inforoo.com/thread/34082
    Edit: got the pages screwed up using tapatalk. It will be a while before I can find which pages the posts are on.
    Last edited by somewhat_; 01-08-2016 at 03:23 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Why is everyone so sure that TR and friends will be hitting the road again? Can't he just release a new album for the sake of releasing a new album and not have a tour accompany it? It almost seems like it's "too soon" to be honest. Hesitation Marks drops in late 2013 and he went on an extensive world tour for a whole year. He's only had a year and a half to rest from touring, he is seriously ready to jump back on the saddle this soon? I thought he made some comment saying this is the last live incarnation he sees for the foreseeable future. I know TR likes to go back on his word a lot, but it almost just seems like it's too soon.

I don't want to sound like i'm complaining here, i'd LOVE to see NIN again in 2016! I'd love to do some more traveling and see some more shows. I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment here. I need to be strategic with my vacation time this year. I'm trying to plan what festival or events I want to attend, but I don't want to wait too long and then I miss the boat on everything fun while waiting for these "supposive" tour dates that never come. And on the other hand, I don't want to start booking a vacation for a festival or trip somewhere else only to have TR drop a tour on us and I have no money/vacation left because I blew it on a half assed event.

I hope we have word sooner rather than later. As of now, i'm waiting for the rockfest lineup to be announced to decided if I want to go out to Quebec in June. If that sucks, then I guess I'll hold off for NIN.
    Very intrigued by this truss idea...

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Why is everyone so sure that TR and friends will be hitting the road again?
    Been thinking the same thing, i mean it's been the typical thing to do usually after a new album comes out but yeah i dunno for me personally... this is mostly a horribly shitty selfish sounding thing for me to say and i totally recognize that but I just hope if they do tour again especially in North America that they actually don't have a show anywhere near me, since at that point I'd just be disappointed as all hell knowing I'll probably not be able to afford some obscene $150 concert ticket pre-order for GA at the drop of a hat.

3 times I've been lucky enough to have seen them and yeah I'd say I'm pretty content with that but at the same time I'd still be bummed as fuck if i had an opportunity to see them a 4th time and missed out.

Just the same though... there are always new fans that have never seen the live show and me saying that just makes me sound like a complete asshole and I don't want them to miss out either but god damn it lol.... I'm normally the most selfless person but this would be one of those rare total dickmode occasions.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    http://inforoo.com/thread/34082
    Edit: got the pages screwed up using tapatalk. It will be a while before I can find which pages the posts are on.
    http://www.inforoo.com/thread/34082/...rollTo=1796857

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Why is everyone so sure that TR and friends will be hitting the road again? Can't he just release a new album for the sake of releasing a new album and not have a tour accompany it? It almost seems like it's "too soon" to be hone
    Were not sure, just speculating- no more or no less than saying "New NIN in 2016" absolutely means a full length Halo release. Just some 'ol BS'ing on teh ETS and kill some time. There's definitely a lot of us hoping a tour happens though.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Imagine a NIN + Rammstein tour @ManBurning !

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Trent hates them, so no.

And no, he didn't pick them for Lost Highway soundtrack, Lynch did.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Trent hates them, so no.

And no, he didn't pick them for Lost Highway soundtrack, Lynch did.
    Why does he hate them?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don't think Trent is a massive Soundgarden fan, he still toured with them

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Doesn't mean he totally should tour with whoever makes @Ryan 's boomerang stiff.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i'm finally going to say it.
    i speculate that there will be no NIN tour this year.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I speculate that they will be touring and we will have some info within the next few weeks or by the end of February at the latest. I think they will play festivals, despite what the guy on inforoo has to say. I believe it will mostly be a summer tour. I'm hoping for a "warm-up" club tour (pre-arena tour) but that probably won't be in the cards.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Prediction: Trent will talk about re-thinking the NIN live concept and going away from the rock band show (again), but the end result will not change that much, apart from one-two songs in all-new arrangements.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Prediction: billp will complain about it

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Why does he hate them?
    Aside from the obvious difference in musical style, I believe he said on the old Spiral boards that playing on the same festivals as them in Germany was especially frustrating because their live show was padded out with "unnecessary production", whereas NIN was not given nearly the same luxuries. There's zero chance they would pair up for a tour, I feel.

I say: NIN & Numan, for a full-length tour, at last.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ^^
    Well, what you call "obvious difference in musical style" many can call obvious similarities, with both bands being industrial metal n shit.
    Anyway, google gave me this: http://archives.echoingthesound.org/...x_page250.html

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    ^^
    Well, what you call "obvious difference in musical style" many can call obvious similarities, with both bands being industrial metal n shit.
    Anyway, google gave me this: http://archives.echoingthesound.org/...x_page250.html
    I wonder if he still has this?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Thanks for digging up the quote. Clearly, style is not the same as genre.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    If NIN do tour this year, I bet "I'm Afraid of Americans" will be a staple song on the tour to pay Tribute to Bowie.