Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 80

Thread: Dakota Access Pipeline [DAPL] Protests

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,012
    Mentioned
    713 Post(s)
    How Many Law Enforcement Agencies Does It Take to Subdue a Peaceful Protest?

    THANKS FOR NOTHING, BILL CLINTON.

    North Dakota:

    1. North Dakota Highway Patrol

    2. North Dakota National Guard

    3. North Dakota Parks & Recreation

    4. North Dakota Department of Emergency Services

    5. North Dakota Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation: Parole and Probation

    Cities

    6. Beulah Police Department

    7. City of Bismarck Police Department

    8. Dickinson City

    9. City of Fargo Police Department (50 officers)

    10. Hazen City

    11. Jamestown City

    12. City of Mandan Police Department

    13. Minot City

    14. Steele PD

    15. Grand Forks City

    16. Williston City

    17. Rolla City

    18. West Fargo City

    19. Wishek City

    20. Watford City

    21. Grafton City

    Counties

    22. Burleigh County Sheriff’s Department

    23. Cass County Sheriff’s Department

    24. Pennington County Sheriff's Department (12 officers)

    25. Dunn County

    26. Emmons County

    27. McKenzie County

    28. McLean County

    29. Mercer County Sheriff’s Department

    30. Morton County

    31. Stark County

    32. Stutsman County

    33. Ward County

    34. Williams County Sheriff’s Department

    35. Grand Forks County

    36. Divide County

    37. Kidder County

    38. Grant County

    39. Bowman County

    40. Benson County

    41. Burke County

    42. McIntosh County

    43. Barnes County

    44. Bottineau County

    45. Logan County

    46. Trail County

    Louisiana:

    47. St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Department

    Montana:

    48. Montana Highway Patrol (at least 10 officers)

    Wisconsin:

    49. Wisconsin State Patrol (at least 17 officers)

    50. Dane County Sheriff’s Department (at least 10 officers)

    51. Dane County Special Events Team (at least 3 supervisors)

    52. St. Croix County Sheriff’s Department (at least 4 officers)

    53. Rock County Sheriff’s Department (at least 5 officers)

    54. Marathon County Sheriff’s Department (at least 4 officers)

    Minnesota:

    55. Hennepin County Sheriff's Department (at least 29 personnel)

    56. Anoka County Sheriff's Department (at least 6 personnel)

    57. Washington County Sheriff's Department (at least 5 personnel)

    South Dakota:

    58. South Dakota Highway Patrol

    Wyoming:

    59. Wyoming Highway Patrol (at least 6 officers)

    60. Laramie County Sheriff's Department

    Nebraska:

    61. Nebraska State Patrol (at least 11 officers)

    Indiana:

    62. Lake County Sheriff’s Department

    63. Schererville Police Department

    64. Hammond Police Department

    65. Griffith Police Department

    66. Michigan City Police Department

    67. Munster Police Department

    68. Indiana Department of Natural Resources

    69. Marion County Sheriff’s Department

    70. Brookville Police Department

    71. Porter County

    72. LaPorte County

    73. Jasper County

    74. Newton County

    Ohio:

    75. Ohio State Highway Patrol (at least 37 officers)

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    san fransisco
    Posts
    776
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    a sixteen year old girl lost her arm.. boooo!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,012
    Mentioned
    713 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    jesus, this is horrible. what the fuck.
    Sophia's surgery was delayed by EIGHT HOURS because they couldn't get her to a hospital quickly because the police forces have put trucks on the bridge which is the only fast way for people to get from the reservation and the protest area to Bismarck.

    Here's an interview with Sophia's Dad:

    https://www.facebook.com/paul.blumek...PAGES_TIMELINE

    The police are denying everything, of course, and are blaming the protesters for Sophia's injuries. The surgeons have saved portions of shrapnel from Sophia's arm for legal proceedings.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    san fransisco
    Posts
    776
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    time to go after these bastard's https://www.shodan.io/explore

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Took the words right out of my mouth.


  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    san fransisco
    Posts
    776
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    i'm starting now step 1.one recon this is the company http://www.energytransfer.com/default.aspx

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    859
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    I honestly have no idea. I think they're hearing something their friend heard from their uncle who heard it from their coworker's friends boss about 1 bad egg and they assume they're all bad. I don't know. People in this town are kind of dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    Because people in North Dakota are racist as fuck. The Native Americans are largely segregated from the rest of the state outside their reservations and said segregation is made possible since it's largely rural wherein most towns keep to themselves. It was the one state that wasn't affected during the Great Depression and is so isolated that it has mostly gotten away with not following the rest of the country as it becomes more socially liberal. I'd go as far as to say that even the civil rights movement of the 60's hasn't had any effect on the state -- they literally might as well have been on an entirely different planet.
    Interesting. Out of curiosity, do you guys feel like the oil boom may play a part in people's feelings about all this?

    I've read a lot about how much has changed in North Dakota in the aftermath of the boom, how some towns had their whole culture and economy transformed overnight. I know a Somali guy who was an oil worker out there a couple years back, and he talked the other oil workers giving him a real hard time, having to deal with a lot of harassment about being black and Muslim and whatnot. I've also read a lot about how the housing/rent market has been totally transformed. I experienced myself a couple years ago when I drove through Dickens and tried to get a hotel room and saw that the cheapest one was like $175 because so many oil workers had started using the hotels for housing which drove the prices way up. Seems like the whole area is going through some really dramatic changes.

    I'm just speculating here, but I suspect that a lot of North Dakota people feel pretty positive about the oil industry right now. And so maybe they aren't very sympathetic to a pipeline protest? Maybe it's kind of like trying to protest a new coal mine in a region where their economy is tied to coal. But that's all just my personal speculation, of course.

    What do you guys think? How do most ND residents feel about the boom?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,012
    Mentioned
    713 Post(s)
    @Mantra , dude, have you SEEN the movie "Fargo?"

    I assume it's kinda like the "You-Pee" or Michigan's Upper Peninsula, which is basically a bunch of rednecks but they mostly HATE Native Americans because Natives get to fish as much as they want, blah blah blah, but the rednecks just bitch about how the Indians are a bunch of drunks on American free land, fuck them, blah blah blah. Uneducated rednecks.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Minot, ND
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Interesting. Out of curiosity, do you guys feel like the oil boom may play a part in people's feelings about all this?

    I've read a lot about how much has changed in North Dakota in the aftermath of the boom, how some towns had their whole culture and economy transformed overnight. I know a Somali guy who was an oil worker out there a couple years back, and he talked the other oil workers giving him a real hard time, having to deal with a lot of harassment about being black and Muslim and whatnot. I've also read a lot about how the housing/rent market has been totally transformed. I experienced myself a couple years ago when I drove through Dickens and tried to get a hotel room and saw that the cheapest one was like $175 because so many oil workers had started using the hotels for housing which drove the prices way up. Seems like the whole area is going through some really dramatic changes.

    I'm just speculating here, but I suspect that a lot of North Dakota people feel pretty positive about the oil industry right now. And so maybe they aren't very sympathetic to a pipeline protest? Maybe it's kind of like trying to protest a new coal mine in a region where their economy is tied to coal. But that's all just my personal speculation, of course.

    What do you guys think? How do most ND residents feel about the boom?
    There were positives and negatives with the boom. Positives were a ton of jobs came into town, and our minimum wage went up a bunch. We now have more businesses and restaurants, and a whole lot more places to live. Negatives: the rent went up a criminal amount. My rent for my 2 bedroom apartment went from $450 to $3200 a month. You pretty much had to work 3 jobs to pay that. Crime went up drastically. That annoyed pretty much everyone up here because the most that ever happened on a weekend was a few DUIs and now people are shooting each other in bars. I had someone break into my house while I was sleeping. The boom pretty much started in the middle of the worst flood our town has ever seen.

    A couple of years ago, the boom stopped, most people left and everything leveled out. Now the protest brought a lot of people back and we're on the news everyday. People are annoyed and just hate anything that brings a lot of attention. As someone mentioned up thread, racism has a big role in it as well. The native Americans aren't highly regarded by alot of people here. The asset protection at our Walmart are told to focus on them when they come into the store. It's kinda crazy.

    TL;DR people here are too easily annoyed by anything that upsets the quiet small town thing we got going on up here, even if it brings positives.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Minot, ND
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Sophia's surgery was delayed by EIGHT HOURS because they couldn't get her to a hospital quickly because the police forces have put trucks on the bridge which is the only fast way for people to get from the reservation and the protest area to Bismarck.

    Here's an interview with Sophia's Dad:

    https://www.facebook.com/paul.blumek...PAGES_TIMELINE

    The police are denying everything, of course, and are blaming the protesters for Sophia's injuries. The surgeons have saved portions of shrapnel from Sophia's arm for legal proceedings.
    A coworker was just telling me that the 16 year old was building a bomb and it went off. This is the kind of shitty misinformation that spreads up here and makes things worse for e everyone.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,012
    Mentioned
    713 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    A coworker was just telling me that the 16 year old was building a bomb and it went off. This is the kind of shitty misinformation that spreads up here and makes things worse for e everyone.
    Exactly. The girl that was hit is 21. And there were multiple witnesses. Why people are automatically siding with the cops just astounds me, but they'd rather have jobs than care about people and their water getting fucked up.

    They don't care that this pipeline was RE-ROUTED FROM BISMARCK because it was deemed to be an EPA hazard to the water supply. But, sure, it's perfectly okay to put it under the Native's only water supply without doing an environmental impact study. This is akin to Flint, with the addition of digging up ancient burial grounds.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    1,114
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    There were positives and negatives with the boom. Positives were a ton of jobs came into town, and our minimum wage went up a bunch. We now have more businesses and restaurants, and a whole lot more places to live. Negatives: the rent went up a criminal amount. My rent for my 2 bedroom apartment went from $450 to $3200 a month. You pretty much had to work 3 jobs to pay that. Crime went up drastically. That annoyed pretty much everyone up here because the most that ever happened on a weekend was a few DUIs and now people are shooting each other in bars. I had someone break into my house while I was sleeping. The boom pretty much started in the middle of the worst flood our town has ever seen.

    A couple of years ago, the boom stopped, most people left and everything leveled out. Now the protest brought a lot of people back and we're on the news everyday. People are annoyed and just hate anything that brings a lot of attention. As someone mentioned up thread, racism has a big role in it as well. The native Americans aren't highly regarded by alot of people here. The asset protection at our Walmart are told to focus on them when they come into the store. It's kinda crazy.

    TL;DR people here are too easily annoyed by anything that upsets the quiet small town thing we got going on up here, even if it brings positives.
    Pretty much this.

    I just moved from Fargo this summer but had been living there for the last 13 years. I too would think this has little to do with the boon in itself as well. Like raptors said all that's pretty much over now. As far as the Natives are concerned, I thought everyone knew we (pretty much everyone not native) don't talk about them anymore (major sarcasm). I think this whole protest kind puts a big spot light on that fact by how it is and really isn't being covered in the mainstream. I personally think the whole issue of Native American rights get generally disregarded and shit on for the most part.

    Allegro- "I assume it's kinda like the "You-Pee" or Michigan's Upper Peninsula, which is basically a bunch of rednecks but they mostly HATE Native Americans because Natives get to fish as much as they want, blah blah blah, but the rednecks just bitch about how the Indians are a bunch of drunks on American free land, fuck them, blah blah blah. Uneducated rednecks."

    Again, pretty much this though i doesn't just apply to rednecks. The racism is real.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,913
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    A coworker was just telling me that the 16 year old was building a bomb and it went off. This is the kind of shitty misinformation that spreads up here and makes things worse for e everyone.
    Have you confirmed it to be misinformation or do you just want it to be misinformation?

    http://www.ksfy.com/content/news/Aut...402527026.html



    https://www.facebook.com/MortonCount...226588/?type=3

    "We are aware of the information about the woman on social media who has claimed she sustained injuries to her arm due to law enforcement tactics. The injuries sustained are inconsistent with any resources utilized by law enforcement and are not a direct result of any tools or weapons used by law enforcement." - Lt. Tom Iverson, ND Highway Patrol. Below is a picture of a propane tank found on the bridge following an explosion early Monday morning. Officers witnessed protesters rolling the cylinder on the bridge, saw the explosion and then witnessed protesters running on the bridge to carry a woman from the scene.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Have you confirmed it to be misinformation or do you just want it to be misinformation?

    http://www.ksfy.com/content/news/Aut...402527026.html



    https://www.facebook.com/MortonCount...226588/?type=3

    "We are aware of the information about the woman on social media who has claimed she sustained injuries to her arm due to law enforcement tactics. The injuries sustained are inconsistent with any resources utilized by law enforcement and are not a direct result of any tools or weapons used by law enforcement." - Lt. Tom Iverson, ND Highway Patrol. Below is a picture of a propane tank found on the bridge following an explosion early Monday morning. Officers witnessed protesters rolling the cylinder on the bridge, saw the explosion and then witnessed protesters running on the bridge to carry a woman from the scene.
    1. That propane tank looks awfully intact for an "explosive".

    2. Remnants of concussion grenades (including one that didn't detonate) were recovered from the scene.

    Sophia's father put out a statement being made aware of Morton County claiming there were no concussion grenades used. Her doctors recovered what they verified to be shrapnel in her arm, which they're now holding onto as evidence should they decide to proceed legal action against Morton County PD.


  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,913
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)

    Dakota Access Pipeline [DAPL] Protests

    1: they said it ones ONE of the tanks, not THE tank or even AN exploded one.

    2 - great. Now demonstrate that the metal in her arm is from police gear and not a propane tank.


    My point is that ragging on people for spreading misinformation is not cool if the information is coming from the police. It may be misinformation from the police, but that's on the police.


    I like what the DAPL protesters are doing. If they really are making bombs, they need to knock it off. They claim to be completely weapons free. I'd personally want to see everyone open carrying rifles as it would cause the police to treat the protesters with more respect. You don't fuck with a passive crowd that is lethally armed unless you want a war. But people need to be ready to die for what they believe in. I've heard that there are a bunch of veterans planning on attending (or already have?) but were told not to bring guns.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    2 - great. Now demonstrate that the metal in her arm is from police gear and not a propane tank.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ilansky-injury

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,913
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    What am I looking for? The fact that a medical group at the encampment thinks/assumes the pieces are from grenades? That's not definitive. Matching shrapnel to either a known grenade type or known propane tank type is easy. That's what will happen in the trial the shrapnel has been saved for. Go get a pro who can determine that NOW. Don't wait for the trial. If it was from a police grenade, then you have something huge that can be used immediately to kill police credibility in the public eye. Then the protesters can push back hard and the police will fear pushing the protesters too hard as the public won't be on their side.

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    859
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    If the explosion had come from the protesters, why would they bother saving their own shrapnel, knowing that it would only implicate themselves?

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,012
    Mentioned
    713 Post(s)
    Contact the White House and tell the President to STOP THIS SHIT!!!

    https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,012
    Mentioned
    713 Post(s)
    About the fake news reports of riots, protester-grenades, etc: http://earthjustice.org/blog/2016-no...pipeline-story

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,012
    Mentioned
    713 Post(s)
    Morton County Sheriff: "We don't have water cannons, we have fire hoses"

    "Lying motherfucker"

    https://www.facebook.com/TheYoungTur...type=3&theater



    The sheriff’s department said that water cannons were brought in to control the crowds and extinguish fires set by protesters.

    “There are multiple fires being set by protesters on the bridge and in the area of the bridge,” department spokeswoman Donnell Hushka told CNN. “We have firetrucks on the scene. They are using their fire hoses to put out the fires, wet the land around so fires don’t spread, and they are also using water as crowd control.”

    THE WORLD IS WATCHING THIS, ASSHOLES.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-27-2016 at 01:07 PM.

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,562
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I would take these accounts with a huge a grain of salt... they seem to mostly be from non-natives or people from outside of Standing Rock. Identity politics and white guilt are so completely beside the point in this situation especially considering the fact that Sophia Wilansky (the girl who may get her arm amputated) is Jewish. The Sioux Nation are going to be appreciative of all the help they can get.

    I did that thing again where I typed out an entire essay during a psychotic episode after the Army Corps. of Engineers issued a statement saying that Sacred Stone camp will be considered to be trespassing if they don't leave on December 5. Oddly enough, this will be the day after some 600 veterans have planned to arrive in Standing Rock to stand with the protestors. I refrained from posting it because this entire situation stresses me the fuck out and I'm pretty embarrassed in my inability to maintain rationality in the face of all this. Anyway...

    Tulsi freakin' Gabbard will be amongst said vets!



  24. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,012
    Mentioned
    713 Post(s)
    Now the fucking Government has created a 4 mile no fly zone around the DAPL protest area to prevent journalist drones from recording video footage, which so far have included footage of police using grenades, water cannons, tear gas, and cops SHOOTING AT THE DRONES which is a FEDERAL OFFENSE.

    This is just SO FUCKED UP.

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Minot, ND
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That's really fucking shady.

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    And our leader who is supposedly fighting for the people constantly...Obama...continues to be deathly silent. Feckless.

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...l-organization

    The Army Corps of Engineers has decided to deny a permit for the construction of a key section of the Dakota Access Pipeline.

    The decision essentially halts the construction on the 1,172-mile oil pipeline about half a mile south of the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation. The decision is also a victory for the thousands of demonstrators across the country who flocked to North Dakota in protest.

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feels like a punt... I'm seeing celebration about this announcement but this entire situation's left me pretty jaded and on my toes simultaneously in the event that this might not actually mean anything. Ugh.

    I'm really weary. This Army Corps. of Engineers has a long history of fucking over the indigenous peoples and (within recent history) have only been acting as stenographers for the corporate interests that have completely uprooted our federal government.

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    san fransisco
    Posts
    776
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    ohbama finally doing something http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0c68e04817323
    -louie

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Brother Cornel West is in Standing Rock!


Posting Permissions