Page 49 of 135 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 99 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 4043

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Time to listen to every song of theirs that references the number 15.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Source? I'm not doubting you, I'd like to read the whole statement/comment/whatever. it sounds like a mildly interesting read.
    Apparently the original interview was on Kerrang, but here is what matters:

http://www.nme.com/news/music/marily...ations-2204451

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Eat Me, Drink Me is not as bad as I remember

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Eat Me, Drink Me is not as bad as I remember
    The title track is amazing!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    EMDM should be considered as good or better than The Pale Emperor and Heaven Upside Down. Not sure why people hate it. Skold is more than competent especially having to fill John 5's shoes.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    EMDM should be considered as good or better than The Pale Emperor and Heaven Upside Down. Not sure why people hate it. Skold is more than competent especially having to fill John 5's shoes.
    EMDM is a horrid album....TPE is 10x better and HUD is only marginally better.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    EMDM is a horrid album....TPE is 10x better and HUD is only marginally better.
    For the 90th time from me, Eat Me, Drink Me is his last really focused album to me and I'll fight tooth and nail to state it.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    The High end of low is even better than EMDM. THOEL Gets a lot of flak for being an abomination, but it's really not that bad. EMDM is hands down his worst record.

The title track though, like @GibbonBlack stated above, is absolutely fabulous! Best, and quite possibly, the only good track on the whole record.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    The High end of low is even better than EMDM. THOEL Gets a lot of flak for being an abomination, but it's really not that bad. EMDM is hands down his worst record.

The title track though, like @GibbonBlack stated above, is absolutely fabulous! Best, and quite possibly, the only good track on the whole record.

Blapshemy.

The only song I can't stand is Are You The Rabbit?

Second verse in PHIH is the best love related verse on the album. The title track is good but only for the Alice in Wonderland connection. The entire album is a 80's goth rock homage.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    For the 90th time from me, Eat Me, Drink Me is his last really focused album to me and I'll fight tooth and nail to state it.
    I'm with you!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah, but the focus was being a guy in his late 30's writing generic emo songs to blatantly appeal to the Hot Topic crowd. Isn't that more of an issue than it simply being unfocused?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Yeah, but the focus was being a guy in his late 30's writing generic emo songs to blatantly appeal to the Hot Topic crowd. Isn't that more of an issue than it simply being unfocused?
    But his fanbase is the hot topic crowd. At least today they are.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    He did the same thing with Golden Age tho. That album was marketed to the hot topic hip hop / nu metal fans. The music on EMDM is far less embarassing. It's more rock n roll in the spirit of Diamond Dogs Bowie.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    That I'll grant, for sure. At least the music was solid.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    EMDM gets a bad rap because it was the follow up to GAOG and it was such a different record that is turned a lot of his listeners off at the time; myself included. Nothing more to it, but that is why when most of us listen to it with fresh ears, it isn't so bad anymore. However, at the time, I wanted more rock than the emo record that I got. Then there was this whole feud with My Chemical Romance that was just embarrassing:

"I'm embarrassed to be me because these people are doing a really sad, pitiful, shallow version of what I've done. If they want to identify with me then here's a razor blade. Call me when you're done and we'll talk."

It was just like, when your big brother makes fun of your little sister's favorite band because her band is relevant and his is on the way out but he doesn't want to accept it. I was like "Please stop talking....because you clearly locked yourself in a room with the Black Parade (or whatever it was) and thought... "THAT'S IT! It's GOLD JERRY!" Pretty sure Metallica did the same thing with System of a Down records when they were trying to record St. Anger.

But yeah, EMDM is not so bad so many years removed. I think You, Me and the Devil makes 3 was a fun tune.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    EMDM was the first Manson album that was truly a "Brian Warner solo album". It's less offensive now in retrospect, and makes a lot more sense now when compared to everything that came after. Between this and GOAG though, the signs that something was very very off were showing. He was starting sing about being a vampire and playing himself up as, yes, a Hot Topic posterboy. This is the time period where he began to feel like a parody of what he'd been in the preceding years and I believe it was a conscious decision.

I've come around on about half the songs on the album - I used to loathe the whole thing apart from Red Carpet Grave and You And Me..., but I still don't think it's a terribly strong effort.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    EMDM's title track is one of his best songs post-Triptych. Atmospheric, vague enough to not feel like a diary entry while concrete enough to not feel like empty bullshit, his vocals work within their limitations and feel haunting and moody, the music is gorgeous and nightmarish and perfectly matches the tone of Manson's vocals and lyrics. It's an absolute shame it was only ever performed once and he was clearly drunk out of his mind while playing it because it could've been an amazing concert closer.

Say what you want about the whole album itself but EMDM feels like the last time they put real thought and effort into the artwork, the aesthetic and the way that the imagery would tie into the music to form one cohesive artistic whole, which is what old school Manson did best and what he's been lazy about for the last decade now. There's a clear sense of sincerity on it that led to some of its worst moments as well as its best but that genuine feeling is absent from a lot of the albums that followed. I don't think any of the same amount of effort was present for High End or Born Villain. Skold's work on it is fantastic and some of the most melodically strong music from any Manson album -- the instrumental version that floats around made me a much stronger fan of the album, and I would have loved to hear his sound continue onto another album. If it hadn't been instantly shit-on I've always wondered what the albums after it would have sounded like. I definitely don't think we'd be getting more tryhard, cliche Bible and politics lyrics and "heavy" music.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This EMDM conversation is bringing back some memories...lol. The strangest thing about the EMDM era was the decision to tour with Slayer (which Manson would do again two years later). I remember thinking: "You just released a song about heart shaped glasses.... and you want to tour with the guys who sang 'War Ensemble?' Hmmm, okay..." Strangest mix of people I have seen at a show together at that point in my life. This was like the Garbage/No Doubt tour, where you could clearly tell who was there to see who. I remember hearing "SLAAAAAYYYYYEEEERRR!!" being shouted every two minutes during set change over, and during the Manson Set, and while standing in line for beer, and while trying to buy a T-shirt, and going to the men's room, and going to my car, and thinking about Politics, and then wondering why I was at a Slayer show...

SLAAAAAAAYYYYERRRRRR!
    Last edited by renton44; 01-08-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    This EMDM conversation is bringing back some memories...lol. The strangest thing about the EMDM era was the decision to tour with Slayer (which Manson would do again two years later). I remember thinking: "You just released a song about heart shaped glasses.... and you want to tour with the guys who sang 'War Ensemble?' Hmmm, okay..." Strangest mix of people I have seen at a show together at that point in my life. This was like the Garbage/No Doubt tour, where you could clearly tell who was there to see who. I remember hearing "SLAAAAAYYYYYEEEERRR!!" being shouted every two minutes during set change over, and during the Manson Set, and while standing in line for beer, and while trying to buy a T-shirt, and going to the men's room, and going to my car, and thinking about Politics, and then wondering why I was at a Slayer show...

SLAAAAAAAYYYYERRRRRR!
    I was there for both bands, but at my show alot of slayer fans left after.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    He's liking the covers this album cycle.

I love the original and his version isn't bad.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    He's liking the covers this album cycle.

I love the original and his version isn't bad.
    his vocals suit it really well but it really just sounds like he's doing karaoke over the original version (i mean those are definitely 100% the original backing vocals)

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    his vocals suit it really well but it really just sounds like he's doing karaoke over the original version (i mean those are definitely 100% the original backing vocals)
    I think he is... which makes the whole thing kind of odd, but if you check setlist.fm, they just started playing this song on the last 2 shows for the new US leg, and it literally says "song play from tape" at the beginning of the setlist. It was a recording of the original song over house speakers... So... I guess he did decide to do some karaoke to open the show? lol...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Just came back from the LA gig tonight.

I have to say that I was shocked how coherent Manson was throughout the show. Hardly skipping and miming lyrics, lot's of interaction with the fans. Not a lot of pauses between the songs. This band line up has got to be the best band he has had in years. Juan really brings that low end and tightness for some of the material. Not knocking on Twiggy but glad to see someone nailing the songs live. The new songs kind of translated well live but "KILL4ME" wasn't that great live. I really like the balance between the new material and the old. Speaking of old, the new interpretation of "Hate Anthem" really stands out, Manson sings the song while the band slowly comes into it. Only going heavy at the end. He sang all the words, coherently too.

Random tidbits:
    I overhear some guy yelling for more old songs.
    Manson should probably stay in the chair, it makes him focus on the music.
    Love the duo guitar attack of Tyler and Paul.
    LA shows attract other musicians to attend, like the Eagles of Death Metal band.
    Was bummed no "Coma White".
    Played an hour and 20 minutes, I was surprised he lasted that long.

Good show.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post

I have to say that I was shocked how coherent Manson was throughout the show. Hardly skipping and miming lyrics, lot's of interaction with the fans. Not a lot of pauses between the songs. This band line up has got to be the best band he has had in years. Juan really brings that low end and tightness for some of the material. Not knocking on Twiggy but glad to see someone nailing the songs live. The new songs kind of translated well live but "KILL4ME" wasn't that great live. I really like the balance between the new material and the old. Speaking of old, the new interpretation of "Hate Anthem" really stands out, Manson sings the song while the band slowly comes into it. Only going heavy at the end. He sang all the words, coherently too.

Random tidbits:
    LA shows attract other musicians to attend, like the Eagles of Death Metal band.

Good show.
    Maybe the fucked up leg will turn out to be a blessing in disguise

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Random tidbits:

Good show.
    It’s great to read that! It seems like he’s getting his act together, and I really hope that the accident he had shook him enough to focus again on his art.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Random tidbits:

Good show.
    this is good to hear, but 1hr and 20mins is way too short.

quick question - have you seen manson live in his prime? only asking bc i'm wondering what your benchmark is for a good manson performance.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    this is good to hear, but 1hr and 20mins is way too short.

quick question - have you seen manson live in his prime? only asking bc i'm wondering what your benchmark is for a good manson performance.
    I never saw Manson in his prime, the first shows I saw was during the THEOL era and he sucked. That continued into Born Villain, really sloppy performances. I agree 1 hour and 20 minutes is short but the past several tours I have seen him, he barely made it to the hour mark. I honestly don't have a benchmark, as long as he keeps it together, then it's fine for me.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Hour and 20 is not short at all.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Hour and 20 is not short at all.
    An hour and a half is long set to me. So I agree.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Well, it's longer than it was when I saw him in 2014/2015, his shows were exactly 60 minutes. That was way too short. But personally, I find it on the short side as well.
    Guess I've been spoiled with 2 hr NIN shows and 3 hour Foo Fighters shows, lol. Even Guns N Roses rocked out for damn neat 3 hours the last time I saw them.

For an act like MM, charging $80-100 or more for a ticket (assuming that's what the prices are these days) is too much for only playing a tad over an hour.

Here's a video from the other night in Vegas, and this is worth the watch for 2 reasons.
    1) at around the 2:15 mark, his pants just fall down and are hanging around his ankles and one of the roadies needs to come over and pull them up for him, lol...

but then I kept watching and 2) At the 3:30 mark, he stops the song to tell everyone there is some girl front row screaming with her tits out, and has the roadie pick her up out of the pit and bring her on stage to dance and twerk with her tits out.

Last edited by ManBurning; 01-17-2018 at 01:34 AM. Reason: added a fun video to watch