Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 1840

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Ok, as somebody relatively new to EtS, is the Haz being referenced in this thread the same Hazekiah that has existed on basically every Manson board for the last like, 20 years? I remember that name from the official BBS and the 'phant/MMUSA.
    Indeed it is. He was also VERY PRESENT in the Transformers and Star Wars threads, but mostly MM and Transformers.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    ^^^ lulz

\m/

O_O

Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Yes, he's the guy who writes essays about how deep the "look the Transformers has balls!" moment in Transformers 2 was, and also, sits around dumpster diving for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Tickets.

Oh yeah, and he also follows around Marilyn Manson tours.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Yes, he's the guy who writes essays about how deep the "look the Transformers has balls!" moment in Transformers 2 was, and also, sits around dumpster diving for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Tickets.

Oh yeah, and he also follows around Marilyn Manson tours.
    Certainly ban-worthy offenses if I ever saw 'em!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Some asshole was doing coke off of a credit card next to us at NIN in Berlin. Meanwhile there was a family of four right behind of us...two kids aged around 9-11. What a piece of shit.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    1 - Manson's decline has been a huge bummer and it's sad to see someone that had such an impact on you growing up self-destruct.
    2 - Haz was bullied, defended himself, and got booted unfairly. Such is life.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Yes. He got banned here I think a couple years ago, a bit unjustly IMHO but he did go off the rails that day.
    He was usually pretty friendly to me back in the day. I knew circles overlapped from those boards to this one and the Spiral, but since I didn't participate in any NIN boards at the time I didn't make the connection that it was the same guy until just now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Some of the posts earlier in the thread made me think a little more about Manson's career trajectory as he ages. If you look at his contemporaries who are still well-respected, the common denominator is that they are gifted musicians first. That's a skill that only gets better as you age in many respects, and allows you to transition into different areas if you are no longer interested in touring (composing, scoring, producing, mentoring younger artists etc)

Manson's gifting always seemed to be primarily as a performer and a vocalist. Watching older shows of his just cemented that idea in my head: the guy had incredible charisma on-stage, and a solid rock voice. But those aren't skills that most people can maintain as they age. You get older, your voice wears out from all the screaming. That's just a part of life. Then you add in the drugs and the interpersonal problems (alienating people who could help you grow as a musician and writer) and well...I'm not surprised it went this route.

But honestly? He could have still found a path that worked for him. He was legitimately a good writer: not even just lyrically. That article he wrote for Rolling Stone after Columbine? That shit was good. A friend of mine is a teacher in high school, and she uses that article as a part of her curriculum every year. Even my non-fan friends loved that article. At one point in time, he gave awesome interviews that people who didn't even like him gave him grudging respect for. That interview he did with Bill O'Reilly gets upvoted to the top of Reddit like three times a year. Dude could have had a serious cash flow blogging about music, culture, and art.

I'm even thinking about Ozzy, and how his career changed as he got older. Yeah, he kind of became known as a doofus after a while. But his reality show was entertaining, and Ozzfest was a real success. He's likeable and the public still pays him good money for just about anything. Manson could have gone that route and made music when he actually felt inspired to do so rather than cranking out stuff that isn't up to the standard he previously held.

Anyway, obviously I'm just talking out of my ass here because I'm not a musician and don't have a firm grasp on this stuff. Just thinking about how things could have been different for him. I'm just a longtime fan that feels bad that it turned out this way. Not ALL of his new stuff is bad, it just lacks the magic for me.

Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    This post just made me realize that I had been dreaming about trying to.figure out how to abort some cocaine I had, and I haven't snorted coke in about ten years and never did it regularly.

Good god. Cocaine's a Hell of a drug.
    @eachpassingphase I think you're really onto something regarding the musicianship aspect.

Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    He was usually pretty friendly to me back in the day. I knew circles overlapped from those boards to this one and the Spiral, but since I didn't participate in any NIN boards at the time I didn't make the connection that it was the same guy until just now.
    Hazekiah is the ultimate example of someone who demonstrates that "being a super nice friendly guy" isn't even half the battle.

That guy was awwwwwwwwwful.