Page 1 of 129 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Marilyn Manson

Well, there's a new clip to promote the SAY10 album out. It's been 8 months since the Manson thread was closed. I think we can all act like adults and stay on topic.

Marilyn Manson’s Shocking Trump Video

“As an artist my duty is to ask the questions. The viewer must answer them.”

That is how Marilyn Manson, ever the provocateur, describes the incredibly graphic new music video for “SAY10,” the title track off his upcoming tenth studio album due sometime this year. The video, directed and conceptualized by Tyler Shields, depicts a besuited Manson seated on his throne in a caliginous, smoky room. “Cash is the poor man’s money,” he sings, before tearing out pages of The Bible, and, in a lightning-fast montage: beheading a blond man in a dark suit and red power tie who resembles Donald Trump.

You can watch the NSFW clip here.

While the bloodied, small-handed corpse certainly resembles Trump, and the act of beheading perhaps a commentary of sorts on the Republican presidential candidate’s attitude towards Islamic terrorists, Manson, speaking on the eve of the election, says that the work is open to varying interpretations.

“Either way tomorrow goes, the visuals are meant to create contemplation. Because it’s obviously bigger than just tomorrow,” he says. “It’s about the desperate acts of people who believe something that is preached by an unbeliever.”

“Right now we’re in such a state of confusion when it comes to religion, politics, sexuality, and how they all tie together, and it’s being turned into a circus and a sideshow—and that’s something that I’ve been described as a ringleader of,” Manson continues. “It seems like a time for me as an artist, and as an American artist, to make something that causes a new set of questions to arise that aren’t simply statements.”

Manson has had a famously contentious relationship with the American right—one that began when conservative outlets like Fox News irresponsibly tied him to the 1999 Columbine massacre, (falsely) alleging his music inspired the shooters, and culminating in an on-air showdown wherein the heavily makeuped shock rocker thoroughly embarrassed Bill O’Reilly. As far as his political allegiances go, Manson told me earlier this year that he will not be casting a vote in the upcoming election, refusing to choose between “cat shit and dog shit.”

“I don’t think that, as an artist, I can make as much of a difference voting as I can the commentaries I make in music on my next record, Say10,” he explained.

Well, now that commentary is here—and it is something.

I'm not especially impressed by the music or video tbh. Here's a screengrab I took though, it was only there for 2 frames. Should stir up some publicity though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The video is pretty much standard shock material just to shock. It doesn't provoke any feeling from me however I really enjoyed what I heard there, surprisingly!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The temptation is to think "well in this day and age, is what he does that provocative anymore?", but to be honest would this even have been that shocking back in 1997. Maybe it would. I feel like it would be more daring to offend both sides. Despite what people say, the right wing are still the most easily offended. The slightest whiff of liberalism or leftism and most of the ones I know can't tolerate you anymore. It's a bit shooting fish

What happened to the announcement about an acss reissue? I thought he said October 20th

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    First off, thank you for finally bringing this thread back. Now that a certain member is gone, I don't think we will have too many issues with keeping discussion civil and on topic.

That being said, I really, really liked the sound of that clip. It sounds nothing like The Pale Emperor, which I loved, so it is nice to know he can go in a different direction from that and still stay on a positive path. Anyone else sort of get a Reznor-esque vibe from the production? And I don't mean it sounds like ACSS, I mean it sort of sounds like something Trent would produce today...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Anyone else sort of get a Reznor-esque vibe from the production? And I don't mean it sounds like ACSS, I mean it sort of sounds like something Trent would produce today...
    definitely, the layered piano and all the effects gave me that feeling instantly.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    First off, thank you for finally bringing this thread back. Now that a certain member is gone, I don't think we will have too many issues with keeping discussion civil and on topic.

That being said, I really, really liked the sound of that clip. It sounds nothing like The Pale Emperor, which I loved, so it is nice to know he can go in a different direction from that and still stay on a positive path. Anyone else sort of get a Reznor-esque vibe from the production? And I don't mean it sounds like ACSS, I mean it sort of sounds like something Trent would produce today...
    Wait who is gone?

I cant form an opinion based on a clip. I do hope that this will be a more straight, "smarter" manson.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Wait who is gone?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The song sounds cool. Couldn't care less about the video.

Fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Worse than that I wanna kill you like they do in the movies song?
    I like that one; it's straight murder music. I also like that Unkillable Monster one that people like to routinely defecate on. That whole album is a career highlight, in my opinion. One entertaining song after another, with all the classic Manson tropes on full display.

In fact, let's stop mincing words and just say it: THEOL is maybe only a step behind Portrait when it comes to being my favorite Manson album. Anyone who doesn't get it is just stupid to me. If that album had been released after Antichrist Superoverrated, every Manson fan whether diehard or tepid would be praising it on high to this day. It would be regarded as some avant garde masterpiece peppered with digestible singles as classic and accessible as Beautiful People and Tourniquet, but unlike anything else in the overcrowded late-90s rock scene.

Instead, it's the missing album between Antichrist and Mechanical Animals that everyone pretends to hate. Trent Reznor included.

That's why this guy is perennially doomed to be the 90s version of Alice Cooper. Hot for a moment when soccer moms and pre-Catholic scandal bible thumpers couldn't get their heads around this shrieking ghoulie man in smeared lipstick and torn nylons, brainwashing their rebellious teenagers. Those were great times to be alive. Now, nobody gives af and it's all "I hope this one sounds like Antichrist or get tf out.." for anyone still around who bothers to listen..
    Last edited by Prettybrokenspiral; 09-22-2017 at 01:10 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    THEOL is maybe only a step behind Portrait when it comes to being my favorite Manson album. Anyone who doesn't get it is just stupid to me. If that album had been released after Antichrist Superoverrated, every Manson fan whether diehard or tepid would be praising it on high to this day. It would be regarded as some avant garde masterpiece
    Wow, no wonder this place has such a shitty reputation. Could you be any more pretencious?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    first, fuck you. i work my ass off on my music, it's extremely personal and cathartic for me. if you don't like it, i don't care. but don't insult me by acting like what i do isn't worthwhile just because you don't like it. and the fact that i am able to do what i do, mostly by myself, in my old bedroom at my parents' house is pretty commendable. i don't have nice microphones or a ton of fancy shit, and i still get my stuff to sound pretty fucking good.

secondly, i have released a ridiculous music in the last couple years. i put out an album in march, i have a covers EP coming out this week, and i have a label releasing my next album in may. and i donate all the money i make from my music to charity. i've doneated to center on halsted, RAINN, the trevor project, brave space alliance, and other organizations that help people who need help. the money i make from the covers EP is going to chicago mutual aid.

third, what the hell does any of this have to do with my comment? shooter jennings says the album is a "masterpiece" and i think it's probably an overblown statement. i responded with a funny gif. why do you feel the need to ride in and defend manson? you spend so much time tearing down other people but i'm not allowed to make a fucking joke?

Who do I spend so much time tearing down around here? The Pitchfork media critics? I see a whole lot of tearing down going on, about a wide range of topics, from a certain sector of people on these forums, but that’s their prerogative. I don’t give a fuck, that’s why I don’t engage in it or complain about it. Shit’s just funny to me..

Never said your music wasn’t worthwhile to you, either. I just said you shouldn’t be knocking a guy’s album that isn’t even out yet when other people might not think what you do is particularly great either, that’s all. I commend you for donating all of the profits you might make off of it to charity though, if that’s what you do. Big ups, man!

Just remember that what you deem commendable and what you think sounds pretty good when it comes to your shit might not be the way other people look at it. Same with how you feel about Manson’s stuff..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    You don’t have to explain your Manson fandom to me, man. You seem generally well informed, unlike others who come in here just to shit on the guy at will. It’s like they live for that shit, which is why you get people laughing about the thread being a dumpster fire or the most locked thread in ETS history. There’s just some very screwed up sensibility at play, it would seem. A lot of talk about how awful Manson’s music is, but nobody releasing anything of their own that’s any better. Then getting ass hurt when they get a taste of their own logic thrown back at them..

You know what’s even funnier than Manson proclaiming every single album to be his best since his prime? The people who keep falling for it and showing up to listen to it each and every time. And then being disappointed with the results they get. Clearly he knows how to draw them in. If it’s so bad, then just ignore the guy’s music and put a dent in his profits..

Or waste your time on the internet complaining about it when you yourself can’t do any better. Not criticizing you in particular, just the general consensus that comes here to complain about the guy non-stop. It really is amusing, but not for the reasons one would expect..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    lol no, it’s not a dumb argument. It’s the goddamn truth. I would love for anyone here who routinely slams the guy to show me their platinum albums, their tour itineraries of their travels around the globe, and the big pile of cash that’s higher than the one Manson sits on. That dude, regardless of how big of an asshole he may be, has done all of that and more while you and others just sit here and complain about how it’s not “your thing” and what a mess he is. Do you think Manson gives a fuck? lol no, I assure you, he doesn’t. Probably because he knows everyone talking shit will be streaming his “new masterpiece” the day it comes out, instead of creating one of their own that betters it. Because they probably can’t..

You can whitewash it and justify it however you want, but until you can do it better or walk a mile in his shoes, you’re just some rando bitching on the internet about things he does that you haven’t. All that does is makes you sound bitter and jealous and upset that he’s probably living the life that you would like to, but don’t. It’s one thing to say “I listened to his album/music/concert and it wasn’t my thing”, but when it becomes a routine occurrence, don’t be surprised when others start asking to see what makes you so qualified to speak out on the matter.

Because that’s when you start to look petulant and ignorant..

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    lol no, it’s not a dumb argument. It’s the goddamn truth. I would love for anyone here who routinely slams the guy to show me their platinum albums, their tour itineraries of their travels around the globe, and the big pile of cash that’s higher than the one Manson sits on. That dude, regardless of how big of an asshole he may be, has done all of that and more while you and others just sit here and complain about how it’s not “your thing” and what a mess he is. Do you think Manson gives a fuck? lol no, I assure you, he doesn’t. Probably because he knows everyone talking shit will be streaming his “new masterpiece” the day it comes out, instead of creating one of their own that betters it.
    Actually, I won't be listening.
    I think this whole argument is silly. Do people judge wine critics on their ability to make wine? No, they don't. And both music and wine making are art.
    People can appreciate and critique things without being masters of them.
    If you want to chalk up expertise to the size of the pile of cash they're sitting on.....really? Really? That's an argument you want to go with here?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    lol no, it’s not a dumb argument. It’s the goddamn truth. I would love for anyone here who routinely slams the guy to show me their platinum albums, their tour itineraries of their travels around the globe, and the big pile of cash that’s higher than the one Manson sits on.
    No, it's a dumb argument.

Money isn't a measure of success (see: lottery winners, trust fund babies, anyone with a good job who invests regularly in stocks, etc). Being good at marketing and branding doesn't make you a good musician. But these points are irrelevant anyway, because none of that is a prerequisite to being able to share an opinion about someone's music. While taste in music is obviously subjective, some things (like the inability to hold a note, get through your lyrics, or stand upright for the duration of a show) just make you an objectively bad performer. The fact that he can still get people who are near-blindly optimistic about one's capabilities, or desperate for a night of nostalgia, to come see his shows...that doesn't make him immune to valid criticisms of the quality of his product. Let me try to frame it another way: imagine a celebrity chef who had a Michelin-star restaurant (or two) but started going downhill as they aged. They kept burning entrees or over-salting them or just trying to make new recipes that really didn't work out. You could be a perfectly adequate home chef with no restaurant ownership ambitions whatsoever and still say "wow dude, I ate at your new restaurant last night and the steak was overcooked and tasted oddly of oregano." Being good at something once doesn't mean you're still good at it, and not being on the same level as someone's former glory doesn't exclude you from recognizing poor work when you see it.

I can guarantee you that if Marilyn Manson the brand did not exist and any of his recent albums dropped under whatever generic band name, there would be little if any commercial success to them. His work now is sold almost entirely off of the promise of his past.

(Oh, and does my platinum album and bookshelf of itineraries count? They're from working, not playing, so I'm guessing no.)

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Haha no, the argument here is — and always has been — that the people who come in here and constantly criticize the guy can’t do it any better, and just come off looking like a bunch of clueless hypocrites..

I know that’s a real tough pill to swallow, but that’s accountability in the 21st-century for you, I guess. Jealousy, envy..those can be real killers, man..

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Haha no, the argument here is — and always has been — that the people who come in here and constantly criticize the guy can’t do it any better, and just come off looking like a bunch of clueless hypocrites..

I know that’s a real tough pill to swallow, but that’s accountability in the 21st-century for you, I guess. Jealousy, envy..those can be real killers, man..
    I hope you realise that criticising artists who make music as a hobby is just as hypocritical. In fact, it's worse, because they're right here posting on the same forum. You wouldn't say those things to their faces in real life... would you?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Manson at his peak was EASILY better than NIN at their peak. Bar none.

Manson was a fucking unstoppable force of nature and everyone listened. It was phenomenal and I’m so glad I was able to live at the same time as that period.

Manson is a wet fart now though.
    Better than Nails at his peak? lol you can’t be serious..

Who was behind the boards calling the shots when Manson was at his peak? Hell, who discovered Manson?

As great as it is in its own right, Holywood is really just a re-make of ACSS, right down to its Beautiful People 2 first single. Trent wasn’t around for that one, but he was heavily involved in ACSS, Manson’s most revered and most popular album..

But Manson easily better than Nails at his peak? Get real. Manson was essentially just a part of the Nails machine at their peak..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    You thought it was funny? My face still hurts from laughing..

And as far as “secret PMs” go, I sent three and none of them were angry (or secret). Just trying to assuage people who were taking things way too hard over the course of the last few days, or pots calling kettles black..

Hold on, I’ll send you one of your very own since you asked nicely..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Portrait of an American Family is by far the biggest shitbomb of any Manson record ever and the one I spin least. Irony is Trent had a hand in that one (not nearly as much as ACSS which is basically a NIN record with Brian on vocals). I will take Eat Me Drink Me or High End of Low ANY day of the week over Portrait. Portrait is a cool scare mommy and daddy shock rock record when you are in 8th grade...Its basically like a GWAR record....I outgrew that album by the time I turned 14.....At least EMDM and THEOL he tried to stop shocking people and just focused on music...which is all I ever wanted from Brian Warner....Just focus on the music
    Portrait is still my favorite thing he's ever done, which is more than enough to get me burned on the cross with Manson purists, but I don't care. He'll never be as fun or as off the wall weird as he was on that record. Sure, Mechanical Animals and TGAOG have more than their share of irony, but on Portrait it actually sounded fresh and unlike anything of its time, or even since..

This was that brief moment in time when the band was virtually poor and only had their talent and their live performance to get them over. But the songs are definitely there. Just one gonzo rock banger after another on that record. Everything that came after Portrait might be more accomplished and more noticeable, but Portrait still to this day engages me from its creepy start to its off-the-rails finish like none of his other records do. He never again sounded quite as nuts and anarchic as he did on that album..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Not sure if it was because of it being the first album I was there for on release or not but I love Eat Me, Drink Me. To me it was his last consistent, theme driven and thoughtful album lyrically and visually. The whole thing had a cohesive formula, look and presentation. I don't feel like going on a tangent because I have done it for this album many times throughout the years.
    No need to explain anything; if you like it, that's all that matters! As I said earlier, I definitely appreciate it a lot more now than I did when it was released. It's his "Cure" album, for me. At the time I didn't get it but now I find it to be an interesting anomaly in his catalog..

Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    I've changed my stance and yes, this track is acceptable.
    lol of course. Whatever gets you through the night..

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I just said you shouldn’t be knocking a guy’s album that isn’t even out yet when other people might not think what you do is particularly great either, that’s all.
    So if I'm not good at making something, I'm not qualified to comment on the quality of someone else's product? Nice logical fallacy you have going there.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    So if I'm not good at making something, I'm not qualified to comment on the quality of someone else's product? Nice logical fallacy you have going there.
    Oh, you most certainly are. Just don’t get all bent out of shape about it when people call out your stuff in the same manner, that’s all. Because no matter how bad you think his albums might be, I guarantee Manson doesn’t give a fuck because he’s laughing all the way to the bank either way..

People will be lining up to listen to this so-called masterpiece Manson is about to unleash, love it or hate it. Other people’s stuff? Probably not so much..

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The music and vocal delivery bears strong resemblance to TGAOG (Better of Two Evils). Or is it just me?
    Last edited by fillow; 11-08-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yeah the electronic drums and ambience give it that sort of feel. (Reznorish)

I am consistently baffled by the fact manson has never done an electronic album, always guitars bass drums. Mechanical animals verges on it but remained firmly rooted in rock territory

With manson so much of it is theatrics and I feel electronic stuff has a greater scope for soundscapes and atmosphere, which seems a more logical fit for his persona

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sounds pretty good.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    don't really care about the visuals, but the music was good, and i'm excited for the album!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Yeah the visuals are lame, but I love the sound. I can't wait to hear the whole thing

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The inevitable return of the thread, lol

I agree that the visuals are "meh" (which is a shame because this guy used to have awesome videos!), but the music is good.
    I hope he stays in the good path "The Pale Emperor" was great, and with the correct people in his band, he can go.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Sign me the fuck up for an album that sounds like that. Love what I'm hearing. Can't help but see the video as something of a ploy for attention, but whatever.

And thanks for bringing the thread back.