Page 25 of 135 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 125 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I mean, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, a PM would be greatly appreciated. I don't really download things much anymore but the couple places I normally do haven't gotten their hands on it yet.

"We Know Where You Fucking Live" has really grown on me, though. Glad to see this is finally happening after watching the shitshow unfold.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    One listen in, I'm left with the same feeling I had after Born Villain, and that's not really to say "there's a lot of crap on this", but more like "It's just kind of there."

There are some nice tunes here. The piano during the closer is nice. There's a surprising amount of catchy numbers, and it's good to hear some synth work back in the mix. That's felt lacking for a good while now.

And, of course, the usual utterly stupid wordplay about drugs, guns and god, beating that dead horse like a shallow self-parody of everything he once was. "Fuck your bible and your babble." "Cocaine and Abel". Okay. I really thought he'd started to move on from that.

Not terrible, but The Pale Emperor was leagues more interesting. :/
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 09-19-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Saturnalia is really catchy.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    ^Agreed.

I'm re-listening to Jesus Crisis now, and this may be the first time I've ever found a Manson track so stupid it's good. The phrase "Music for Titty Bars" comes to mind.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Manson confirmed on Howard Stern that the AS mastertapes were NOT destroyed afterall. Remaster in the works? Trent posting the picture of it a while back adds to this theory a bit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Would really appreciate a PM as well. Thanks all.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I'm re-listening to Jesus Crisis now, and this may be the first time I've ever found a Manson track so stupid it's good.
    I think I'm in the minority, but thats kind of how I've always felt about WOW.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I've only had time to listen to the first two tracks. Musically, I'm digging it. But his voice sounds like it has gotten so much worse. The first track, he was straining to hit (and missing more often than not) most of the notes regardless of whether he was screaming or singing. The second track was better, but the lyrics so far are so much shallower than Pale Emperor. I'm hoping the rest of the album gets more cohesive, but right now, I'm just kinda wishing I could get the whole thing as instrumentals and call it a day.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    But Manson was never a great singer to begin with.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    But Manson was never a great singer to begin with.
    You're right, but he could at the very least stay in key and match the tones of what he was singing against. There's a huge difference between pre Eat Me Drink Me, and then from that album forward.
    Last edited by Demogorgon; 09-19-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    You're right, but he could at the very least stay in key and match the tones of what he was singing against. There's a huge difference between pre Eat Me Drink Me, and then from that album forward.
    Truth right there. His voice has not been the same since Golden Age of Grotesque but for that matter, neither has the band. I think that whole period where he tried to out emo the emo bands had a horrible effect on him. He really became the creepy fat goth kid that lives in his parent's basement dating almost underage women and attempting his hardest to be 'deep' and 'distrubing' when in fact he came off as a tool. Go drink your absinthe... When I first heard Eat Me Drink Me, I was like "yeah, John 5 and Gacy made the right choice to get the hell out there..."

Sorry anytime Eat Me Drink Me is mentioned I lose it...
    Last edited by renton44; 09-19-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I tried to buy tickets to see MM in Boston and it said it was sold out, but then a few days later tix were available. Why does ticketmaster do shit like this and how is the tour selling?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Eat Me, Drink Me Pt. II

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I tried to buy tickets to see MM in Boston and it said it was sold out, but then a few days later tix were available. Why does ticketmaster do shit like this and how is the tour selling?
    The Boston show was sold out with the exception of some VIP packages. But those were amazingly overpriced, so chances are they released some of those tickets and that would explain some of the new availability. Often times though, when a venue gets the 'stage set up info' (like stage size and production needs) it opens up new seats as the venue doesn't need all the extra space for the Artist's show/stage. It is very common, especially with stadium/arena shows for a ton of tickets to open up a week or two before the show (or even the day before).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarktrent View Post
    Eat Me, Drink Me Pt. II
    Sounds good. Love EMDM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh my god, Blood Honey is one of the worst things I've ever heard from him. That's saying a lot

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    The Boston show was sold out with the exception of some VIP packages. But those were amazingly overpriced, so chances are they released some of those tickets and that would explain some of the new availability. Often times though, when a venue gets the 'stage set up info' (like stage size and production needs) it opens up new seats as the venue doesn't need all the extra space for the Artist's show/stage. It is very common, especially with stadium/arena shows for a ton of tickets to open up a week or two before the show (or even the day before).
    Cool, thanks. I want to go to the show but wasn't going to spend $200.00 on some VIP/fan package. My ticket was in the $80.00 range and that's all I was willing to spend.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I think I am not a fan of the second song, sounds like a shitty Korn song.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Any chance someone has a link?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is not going to be a review, this is just my personal opinion & impressions after my first spin. So my opinions could be different in a couple of months or even a year from now but this is how I feel as of now.

Revelation 12 (1.9/5) - The reason I scored this track so low is that this track sounds so much more massive/heavy live. There is something weird with the production where the guitars have almost no presence. Not too mention the vocals might be the worst he has sung in a while. This isn't singing, it's not even screaming, it's him howling like a fucking high pitched walrus. Overall completely underwhelmed with this track. It needed to sound like Target Audience in order for me to get down with this and groove to the music.

Tattooed in Reverse (2.5/5) - This song isn't as bad as Rev 12 but it just has a thick vinear of "been there done that" the structure is nice in places and it does have highlights but like Rev 12 I'm still disappointed at this point. Sounds like another Manson knuckle-duster bar song.

We Know Where You Live (3.5/5) - This track is an overall improvement especially in the context of the album. Similar to the previous track it does have a "been there done that" feel but unlike the previous track it actually feels pulled off well. The chorus especially is fiery hot goodness.

Say10 (4/5) - The first track on this album so far that really hit me. The production on this track is fucking fantastic and thick with pounding atmosphere I love it.

KILL4ME (4.3/5) - This track is also really damn good. It is completely drenched in gooey gothy goodness. This has a feel of dark new wave mixed with the heart of the Cure. Love those synths!

Saturnalia (5/5) - Hands down so far the best fucking track on this album. The sounds, the atmosphere, it all just feels so thematic to the album. This is really fucking well done.

Jesus Crisis (2/5) refer to both Rev 12 and Tattooed if you want my feelings on this track. I do like the hook even if it's cringey when you read it out loud. When you're listening it works though.

Blood Honey (4.5/5) - Really damn good track!!! This also has extreme goth tones to it I fucking love this. This sounds like a heavier meaner track off of EMDM but handled so much better than EMDM.

Heaven Upside Down (3/5) This is a good track and there is some really good instrumentation on this song overall. Good time. Nothing special though.

Threats of Romance (4/5) - Pretty damn decent closer to the album.

TPE was tons better but this does have some good tracks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The chorus for Revelation 12 is fucking abysmal. The rest of the song is pretty good but I have no idea what he was thinking when he wrote that shit.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Saturnalia's bassline is impressive as is the rest of the song. I skimmed most tracks. Instrumentally this album is so, so good I just wish song titles, lyrics and delivery was more on form than they are.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Saturnalia is really catchy.
    saturnalia = bela lugosi's dead

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    New Mastodon, Trent, and Manson within a week. Pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Orchid View Post
    This is not going to be a review, this is just my personal opinion & impressions after my first spin. So my opinions could be different in a couple of months or even a year from now but this is how I feel as of now.

Revelation 12 (1.9/5) - The reason I scored this track so low is that this track sounds so much more massive/heavy live. There is something weird with the production where the guitars have almost no presence. Not too mention the vocals might be the worst he has sung in a while. This isn't singing, it's not even screaming, it's him howling like a fucking high pitched walrus. Overall completely underwhelmed with this track. It needed to sound like Target Audience in order for me to get down with this and groove to the music.

Tattooed in Reverse (2.5/5) - This song isn't as bad as Rev 12 but it just has a thick vinear of "been there done that" the structure is nice in places and it does have highlights but like Rev 12 I'm still disappointed at this point. Sounds like another Manson knuckle-duster bar song.

We Know Where You Live (3.5/5) - This track is an overall improvement especially in the context of the album. Similar to the previous track it does have a "been there done that" feel but unlike the previous track it actually feels pulled off well. The chorus especially is fiery hot goodness.

Say10 (4/5) - The first track on this album so far that really hit me. The production on this track is fucking fantastic and thick with pounding atmosphere I love it.

KILL4ME (4.3/5) - This track is also really damn good. It is completely drenched in gooey gothy goodness. This has a feel of dark new wave mixed with the heart of the Cure. Love those synths!

Saturnalia (5/5) - Hands down so far the best fucking track on this album. The sounds, the atmosphere, it all just feels so thematic to the album. This is really fucking well done.

Jesus Crisis (2/5) refer to both Rev 12 and Tattooed if you want my feelings on this track. I do like the hook even if it's cringey when you read it out loud. When you're listening it works though.

Blood Honey (4.5/5) - Really damn good track!!! This also has extreme goth tones to it I fucking love this. This sounds like a heavier meaner track off of EMDM but handled so much better than EMDM.

Heaven Upside Down (3/5) This is a good track and there is some really good instrumentation on this song overall. Good time. Nothing special though.

Threats of Romance (4/5) - Pretty damn decent closer to the album.

TPE was tons better but this does have some good tracks.
    no 5/7s?

waiting for the official release to listen. i'm not as worried as i was before after hearing some of the impressions in here.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    no 5/7s?

waiting for the official release to listen. i'm not as worried as i was before after hearing some of the impressions in here.
    FWIW to you or anybody else reading, the leaked album is 320kb/s. I haven't listened TOO intently or run any audio analysis or anything so I'm not sure if it was like converted up, but I assume it's legit.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    FWIW to you or anybody else reading, the leaked album is 320kb/s. I haven't listened TOO intently or run any audio analysis or anything so I'm not sure if it was like converted up, but I assume it's legit.
    Cutoff appears to be 20 kHz with occasional spikes to 22 kHz... No reason to post anything, looks legit, like you said.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I'm half way through this and I'm thinking of turning this off. This is awful...

How does he follow up the pale emperor with this? You dont... TPE was as good as it was going to get for Manson. He should have ended it on that record.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    There is something wrong with this forum, and it's bugging the shit out of me and I can't access it on my PC without turning off my anti-virus, so I have to type on my phone. It's been reported in the suggestions thread, but just wanted to vent my frustration here as well!

Anyway, i'm finished the record,it does actually pick up on the second half (in my opinion anyway), I enjoyed the second half way more. With that said, the whole thing has its flaws overall, but it's OK. This makes records like The High End of Low shine. Speaking of THEOL, "Kill4Me" would probably fit really well somewhere on that record. It has the same vibe as some of the songs on there.

"Saturnalia" is amazing though! Hands down the best song on the record. It's 8 minutes long, but the song is so groovy, you get into the song and it's over before you know it. That's how you make a track!

The first half of the record was just him screaming. "We know where you fucking live" actually sounded better placed in the context of the whole record than as a stand alone song though. It was the first time I was able to get through the whole song! I tried twice earlier this week and just couldn't do it.

Someone said "blood honey" was the worst song they ever heard, but I don't think so. One of the better songs on the record for me.

The lyrics are really bad though. Very cringe-worthy. It's weird that he hasn't matured passed singing about fucking girls, god, Satan, sniffing cocaine, and more "F" bombs than you can ever imagine. Lyrics are the weakest link of this record, hands down.

This feels like a step back for Manson after releasing the Pale Emperor. After listening to the Zane Lowe interview, I realized why TPE was so good, it was basically a record he made for his dad (good interview by the way), TPE was in response to his mother passing away and his dad didn't want him to spiral out of control and asked him to make a solid record he would be proud of, so he made that record to proove to his dad he still had it. I also liked the Tyler Bates story about the box-cutter to the throat story that made Tyler quit on the spot.

Manson is unstable and nuts to his fellow bandmates. Surprised bates returned after that.

I might have to give this a couple more spins for it to grow on me. There are a few songs on here I don't think I can listen to more than once though (I actually skipped Say10 midway through. I wouldn't listen to that song anymore, it wasn't really going anywhere. Just repetitive lyrics. Actually, that seems to be the theme of the record overall, repeat the lyrics as much as possible)

"We know where you fucking live" would be better if it wasn't for the chorus and that pretentious yelling round the 2 and a half minute mark. The song really isn't that bad if you can sit through those parts.

Anyway, first listen would be a 4.5/10, and that's a very generous 4.5, saturnalia alone raised that score a hefty amount.

EDIT: adding another point and fixing a couple spelling errors and listening to the record again for the 2nd time while I type this and... Holy fuck, I'm at "Saturnalia" right now, and the comment about this song being "Bela Lugosi" was totally spot on. Holy smokes...they're almost identical!!! I still like it, even if it's a ripoff.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 09-20-2017 at 03:48 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    So, the consensus seems to be this album is on the same level as THEOL and BV. A decent, albeit "meh" kind of album.