Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tell us about your first NIN show

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FieldOnFire View Post
    July 2009, O2 Arena in London on the Wave Goodbye tour. Gary Numan turned up, they played 'I'm Afraid Of Americans' and La Mer. Then got stranded on the way home. It was a good night.
    That was my second gig. I remember the chaos after the show. If I remember correctly someone had had a heart attack on the tube and one of the lines wasn't running because of it.

My first Nine Inch Nails concert was at Hovet in Stockholm in 2007. I had just turned 14, it was my first concert ever and I went with my dad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Few years back I went when he was playing with QOTSA on a coin flip, Trent won and was first, once trent finished, so did I (wait...that CAME out wrong.....(wait what am i saying?).....nevermind)

Anyways the show was good, had its moments (I came in door 13 which is funny to me)(and bought my first band shirt ever (well pretty much like it wasn't forced on me like kmart trash) but unfortunately not as good as Marilyn manson ( he played my fav song, rocknroll n*gg3r! ( I was singing along VERY LOUDLY from VIP) the year or two before (Marilyn was my first EVER concert, and he was rocking the Aussie flag and it was a cool moment)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiouti View Post
    and he was rocking the Aussie flag and it was a cool moment)
    "Location: Aus, $AuD$, Au$$ie"

ah, that explains the mind-numbing rash of posts you belched up. Not exactly busting those stereotypes apart pal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This ended up being such a great weekend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My first show was in May 2005 in Philly on the With Teeth tour. I'd been a fan since about 2002. (I'd bought The Downward Spiral when it came out, but I couldn't get into it initially, so it collected dust for several years until I gave it another chance. Silly me!) I had to pay $180 on eBay for probably a $40 ticket, because the show had sold out quickly, but I didn't care; I was bound and determined to go. The craziest part of the show happened at the end, during Head Like a Hole. Trent's microphone kept cutting out (earlier his amp cut out during Reptile, I think, so he was already pissed off with things not working properly), and he was getting aggravated. Everybody kept on singing, though, even when the mic was crapping out. At one point, he yelled, "Something's gonna get broken!" The mic continued to crap out, so he tossed it and stomped around the stage and then stormed off. The crowd sang the whole rest of the song. It was awesome! The energy from the band and the crowd was crazy. I've probably seen NIN 20-plus times since. Worth every penny, every time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It was for With Teeth in 2005 but rescheduled for summer 2006 because Trent got the flu. I was 17 and went with a random assortment of people from my calculus class that I didn't expect to be NIN fans and I remember us all carpooling and lining up at the ticketmaster booth in the mall to buy tickets. The good thing about makeup shows is that I've gotten some extended setlists and rare songs outta them. Peaches was the opening act, she was horrible, people booed her and cringed at her humping various parts of the stage.
    NIN was simply amazing though. during one song the lightscreen they were using had this really cool 3D blood dripping effect that has stuck with me. I had never seen effects like that at a show before and was blown away by it at the time.
    Also according to NIN wiki for the show they messed up during the Big Come Down and Trent kinda sorta apologized for it.
    Last edited by millionmilesaway; 05-20-2018 at 03:32 AM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Dress Rehearsal performance for The Fragile. I went through a weird special hell to get that ticket...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    3/23/2005 at the William Saroyan Theatre in Fresno, CA. Had a balcony seat, looking back it was a good tame way to experience the new songs live. It was he first show since TR went sober, everyone was optimistic and excited about the new material. Thanks, nintourhistory!

Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Whenever those shows are mentioned something dies inside of me. Lucky bastards.
    Ditto :'(
    Last edited by Miss.Selfdestruct; 05-20-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    My first show was May 30, 2005 during their club tour at the Soma in San Diego. I was 22 and had never been lucky enough to see them before that. I asked my cousin to get us tickets and he somehow made it happen. It was fantastic and it created a monster. The highlight for me was Sin as that’s always been one of my favorites 🖤

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My first show was 24th may 1994 London forum on the TDS tour,it was very intense and they looked like a bunch of maniacs! after that I saw them twice more, London 1999 and 2005.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Fragility Tour, Starplex Amphitheater, Dallas, TX, 18 years ago, NIN took my concert virginity

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I have been a fan since the early 90's but never made it to any NIN concerts until august 20th 2008 in st louis scottrade center. it was the most amazing show i have ever seen and a 30 song setlist. got my tix through the presale and was let in early so we were close to the stage. also went to the november 20th show in cedar rapids iowa for the second leg of the north american tour. the 30 song setlist was slightly different from the st louis show and was equally amazing. still regret not going to any of the wave goodbye or 20013/2014 shows. thanks to wolfkiller i have tickets for all 3 chicago dates in october! i love ETS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hello there forum. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. My first NIN gig was the back-to-back nights at the Manchester Apollo in July 2005. Two of the hottest gigs I've ever been to. The first night I was up in the balcony and was sweating my face off. Second night I managed to get a general admission ticket so went pretty close to the front. They opened with 'Terrible Lie' and I got swallowed in the pit. Two years later they did the same two-nights-in-the-same-building in February but I didn't go to either gig, which is a regret because I've since checked out the set lists (and Josh F was on the kit). I didn't go in 2009 at the Mcr Arena because I'm an idiot (Janes Addiction and it being in a Big Room put me off) but I did go four years ago on their last UK tour and it was one of the best gigs i've been to. The visuals were bang on and the set was perfect. I was having a big slip/year zero renaissance and they opened with 'Me, I'm Not' and I went pretty euphoric as I was expecting the 'Copy of A' opening. They then did '1,000,000' and 'Letting You' and I was beaming from ear to ear. Later on in the set they segued from 'The Great Destroyer' into 'Eraser' and I lost it. Proper goosebumps.

My first gig could have been the infamous 'Lost Weekend' cancellation at the Docklands but I passed up on the trip (which in hindsight proved wise), but I wouldn't know it'd be a 5 year wait til the With Teet: Live tour!

I feel very, very fortunate to have scored tickets to the Southbank centre gig later this month after getting through online on Tuesday when they released some returns. Front Stalls, Row P, dead central. Not close enough to smell their cologne, but close enough!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Going to see NIN in Vegas this year. My first show was in Nashville around Halloween years ago and I went with friends. This show is a solo mission. I managed to get a GA Floor seat and I don't know what to do. I'm clueless about everything. Can anyone help a lady out? Any advice is welcomed. How early do I need to get to the venue for a good view? What are some essentials I need to bring with me? Stuff like that. Thanks ETS Fam!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Mexico 2014

I had a ticket for 2005 concert but i couldnt go
    in 2008 I was saving money to see my girlfiend, 2 months later I broke with her

So the beginnig with a warm place/somewhat damaged was one of the best things in my life
    Finally I see one of my favorite bands live

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    May 3, 2000. The last time they played in Rhode Island. I just uploaded a review of the show to NIN tour history that was in the local paper the next day.

http://www.nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=418

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I love this thread because these are like treasured memories of something we're all passionate about.

Also @ThisIs I was at that show. It was my third nin show but first apc show.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Oct. 24, 1995. Outside tour with Bowie at the Tacoma Dome in lovely Tacoma, WA. I was a freshman in high school. My mom drove some friends and me down from the little town we lived in up by the Washington / Canada border. We had GA and she had a seat. Crazy mosh pit and my ears were still ringing when I went to school the next day.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    May 10, 2009. Atlanta, GA
    My only show during the NIN/JA (Wave Goodbye) tour and until the NIN + Soundgarden, Charlotte + Atlanta 2014 shows. My best friend and I live about 3 hours from ATL, so we drove down same day. My friend and I took shots and had a few beers in the parking lot. Once we got into the venue, we watched Street Sweeper Social Club, hit up the merch booth, and bought $7 hotdogs. The show was amazing! The best moment was when Saul Williams shuffled out on stage (in his little yellow pants) for the end of Survivalism. Banged and Blown Through was great; the drum work was pretty heavy! I've only seen NIN 3 times total and this has to be my favorite set, so far.

Can't wait to see some of you all in ATL later this month!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    19.11.1999 in Munich. It was the best fucking birthday gift of my life

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaps30 View Post
    May 3, 2000. The last time they played in Rhode Island. I just uploaded a review of the show to NIN tour history that was in the local paper the next day.

http://www.nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=418
    i used to live in providence. every time i passed the dunkin donuts arena stop at kennedy plaza i wondered why there weren’t a ton of awesome shows lined up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Woodstock '94. We were close to the stage, but pretty far off to the side. It took us most of the day to get there from the camping area. Stood there for Crosby, Stills, & Nash, then NIN, then Metallica. That was a great 3 band set.

Next was Jan 27, 1995 in Orlando.

Sadly, didn't see them again until 2013. Will be making the drive from Orlando to Atlanta in a couple weeks for number 5!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nine Inch Nails - Live: With Teeth

October 11th, 2005 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN, USA

Supporting Acts: Autolux & Queens of the Stone Age

My first NIN show was when I was 16yo with my now ex and my parents. We had pretty decent seats on the side of the arena, lower section, about halfway up. I don't particularly remember Autolux, and I'm pretty foggy on QOTSA as well. I had only listened to Lullabies to Paralyze, so I wasn't very familiar with them at the time. I remember them being funny and great live. My parents liked them, but thought they were a little vulgar (ha).

Right before NIN came on, my entire section began jumping the barrier dividing us and GA, and the security just waved them on. I should note that my parents sat pretty much directly across the arena (can't remember if we couldn't find tickets together, or if they were trying to give us space). My ex and I decided to walk down to the GA section. When we got to security, he asked for GA tickets and I said we didn't have any, and he just waived us through! Once in GA, I found my parents and waived to them with the biggest grin on my face. They gave us a joking scold for being in GA, but waived us on to go have fun.

At that age, seeing my favorite band for the first time, I was on top of the world. What followed was me basically blacking out from the sheer level of excitement and thrill. I remember occasional highlights (The Line Begins to Blur, Right Where it Belongs going into Beside You in Time, Reptile, Head Like a Hole finishing the show with noise/lights flickering and walking off the stage). Within the last couple years I realized a now good friend of mine was actually at that same show. He particularly remembered how great Beside You in Time was.

Anyways, after this show NIN would be cemented as my favorite artist of all time, and I would not once be let down by TR. I've seen them two other times (Lights in the Sky and Tension), both of which were phenomenal.

I am now 29yo and married almost one year. My wife quickly caught my NIN addiction, and she will see them for the first time in Chicago 10/25, 10/26 and 10/27 with myself, my sister and her fiance (who have also never been), and some other NIN-virgin friends who will attend one of the shows. We're ready to make memories (or in my case, blackout from the intensity).
    Last edited by Shipley; 09-20-2018 at 08:06 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    My experience was very similar to elevenism on the first page but it's my own so I'll share anyway.

November 28, 1994, Pittsburgh

First off I was able to get floor tickets the day of the show when they released more. I was so excited that I spent the exorbitant price of $28.50 for them (I was a college student lol). Since it was last minute, I knew people who would be there but it was too late to get in touch with them but I hoped I would see them there (which I did) but if I didn't, I didn't care. I was finally going to see my new favorite band (my roommate got TDS the week it came out and being from a small town classic rock environment, this was the first time I had heard anything like this and it blew me away and I managed to squeeze my fandom in before Closer was a single and video and sent them mainstream - just barely) and it was my third concert ever and the first "big" one (interestingly my second was Jesus and Mary Chain so this new tour is very nostalgic for me). I wasn't 100% certain where the arena was, but I knew the general area so I just planned to get on a bus and follow everyone dressed in black - which worked like a charm, I might add.

First act - Marilyn Manson before they were famous. My only exposure to them at all was one time MTV was on late at night and they introduced a video by Marilyn Manson and I said to myself "hey, that's the chick that's opening for the NIN show I want to go to" so I paid attention. Needless to say, it wasn't quite what I expected. They set the tone for the element of danger and rebellion that was present all night. Jim Rose (I didn't know who it was at the time, just some guy) introduced them with some rant about how he sometimes talks to Satan before a show. At one point Manson pulled down his pants and was wearing a pair of black leather underwear with a giant strap on dildo and asked the crowd if they wanted to suck his rock star cock. The show ended with him completely naked humping the keyboard before Pogo carried him off stage.

Next up was the Jim Rose circus. I was expecting a band and got an actual circus. T was a circus with things like a guy swinging cinder blocks from his nipples and a topless girl laying on a bed of nine inch nails.

And then came NIN..... the various videos you've seen do not do this tour justice. It was pure chaos from the start, culminating in Happiness in Slavery where the ending part of the song was basically wanton destruction. He smashed everything and then went off stage and brought more things on stage just to break. And it wasn't just destroying things, it was a complete sense of anything could happen. And to add to that, there was a board missing on the floor and the ice underneath (the Penguins hockey team also played there) was exposed making there a dangerous spot right smack in the middle of the pit but we all looked out for each other). After HiS ended, the screen came down for the eraser/hurt/TDS midsection and between the destruction (I didn't think they had any instruments left to play) and the screen, I thought the show was over and I was torn between "holy shit that was mind blowing" and "holy shit that was short," but fortunately t wasn't even halfway over. And Hurt.... again, the video doesn't do it justice. This pit that was beating each other up just minutes before was motionless and captivated. It was truly mesmerizing and part of the reason I don't care for the song live anymore - in my head I'm comparing it to this. Did the people in the video know they were being filmed? Because the crowd surfers pull me out of the video because there was nothing like that from what I could see at my show. Everyone was in awe. And then after that section it goes right into wish and the guitars at the end of each line in the verses was a literal assault on all the senses. People moshing around you, a sudden increase in volume and strobe lights flashing right in your face. And the show ended with a completely haunting SICNH. After all the chaos (and right before it was IDNWT, not exactly a mellow song) this was how it ended and it was powerful and stuck with you more than another few minutes of destruction would have. Again, I believe this is what Trent has been going for constantly since then with Hurt but it just isn't the same, at least partly because he and the shows aren't the same.

In almost every way - musically, technically, stage production, etc - NIN is a better band now than they were in 1994, but there was one thing that that show had that NIN hasn't had since and no other band I've seen before or since has had and that's the element of danger and uneasiness that was present throughout the whole show. I saw Manson multiple times in the 90s and even he didn't have it in the same way (largely because it felt a bit more choreographed with him and less chaotic)

I left the show a changed man.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I dug reading that @Kyle .

And I always tell my younger friends pretty much what you just said at the end there, that THAT is the only thing they missed by missing those TDS shows: it was actually sort of frightening back then.
    Since then the band has been better, the lights have gotten better, etc.

But that pervading sense of "danger and uneasiness" as you put it: I've honestly never felt it before or since, with ANY band.

Edit: it's also fucking hilarious that I wasn't the only one who thought "Marilyn Manson" was a woman at first.

I pictured like a female singer/songwriter doing bleak songs with an acoustic guitar.
    And then out came the man with the assless pants singing "I am the God of fuck." Hahaha
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-20-2018 at 05:15 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    i used to live in providence. every time i passed the dunkin donuts arena stop at kennedy plaza i wondered why there weren’t a ton of awesome shows lined up.
    It seems like mostly Disney on Ice and WWE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    August 16th 2008 Lights In The Sky Tour Houston, Texas @Toyota Center
    Absolutely insane! (Until I realized how much cooler the NIN/JA tour was...)

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2008/toyota-center-houston-tx-3bd69434.html

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tension, Amway Center in Orlando, FL, October 31, 2013.

I was in my third year of college and didn't have a car. At this point, I was living in Tampa and the NIN/Soundgarden tour obviously hadn't been announced, so I saw the Orlando date as my one big chance at seeing one of my favorite bands live. I'd had the chance to see them on the first night of the NIN/JA tour in 2009, but my plans fell through when my friend couldn't get tickets for us, and, given that NIN was "going away for a while," I thought I'd missed my only chance. Then, of course, the festival shows were announced, then Tension, with two Florida dates - Sunrise and Orlando, neither of which are Tampa.

I appealed to ETS to see if anyone might be willing to give me a ride back to Tampa after the show, and @FULLMETAL came in clutch on that front, which I'm still very grateful for to this day.

I took a Greyhound bus at 7 in the morning that day to get to Orlando, arrived around 10, and was faced with the prospect of filling an entire day in a city I was completely unfamiliar with, all on foot. The Greyhound station was only a few blocks from the main downtown area, so once I got there, I wandered around the storefronts for a few hours, just killing time. In the afternoon, I ducked into the library to rest my legs before the show and unwound for a little while before heading to dinner. I met up with FULLMETAL to drop off my bag and wait for the doors to open since I had a seat and he was in the pit, made some small talk with other people in my section, and prepped for Gary Numan.

Numan is a great opener - I'm not familiar with his music, but there was a lot of energy and I enjoyed it. Considering he was a special opener for the Florida dates, I figured he would be coming back for the NIN set. I had no idea what to expect from Tension - I kept myself completely isolated from tour spoilers the moment the tour started, and I had no idea about the stage setup or the set. Needless to say, I was blown the fuck away from start to finish. The sheet dropping and strobe lights for Copy of a, the introduction of the backup singers for All Time Low, The Frail into The Wretched, Somewhat Damaged, the encore break opened with The Day the World Went Away, the Numan two-pack of Reptile and We Take Mystery (To Bed) (that was a weird one), While I'm Still Here into Black Noise, the arrangement of Hurt...man, there are too many highlights to count.

After the show, I met up with FULLMETAL and we drove back to Tampa. I thanked him - too many times I'm sure - and went straight to bed. Completely knocked out.

I'm feeling that same sense of adventurousness with the upcoming Atlanta show - driving across state lines to a concert is something I didn't imagine I would ever do on such short notice, but here we are. I can't wait.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    September 30th 1995 - Outside Tour at Blossom in Ohio

I was a wee 12 with Nine Inch Nails being one of my favorite bands, and David Bowie being one of my dad's favorites. This was an outside venue and we were on the grass pretty far from the stage, but the lawn is really the spot to be at this venue. This was actually my first concert ever and man I was blown away. I was confused as fuck when they played Closer to God instead of Closer since I had never heard it before, but it started me down a path of collecting almost every NIN cd I could find because I had to know what the closer remix was (and afford with a 12 year olds budget, which meant chores and gifts for birthday/christmas). I wish I could remember more about that night but I certainly cherish what I can remember.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    And I always tell my younger friends pretty much what you just said at the end there, that THAT is the only thing they missed by missing those TDS shows: it was actually sort of frightening back then.
    Since then the band has been better, the lights have gotten better, etc.

But that pervading sense of "danger and uneasiness" as you put it: I've honestly never felt it before or since, with ANY band.
    It's funny because I feel like that sense of danger and uneasiness went right into Not the Actual Events and Add Violence.