Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 451

Thread: Patriots Day

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I don't believe I am familiar with this director's work (unless I've accidentally watched a scene or two), but I'm not sure how this constitutes 'selling out.' The other three films TR+AR scored were book adaptations by David Fincher (a Hollywood director). This film will be a dramatization of the Boston Marathon bombing and aftermath, I presume, by a Hollywood director.

    Just curious: what is the length of time that must go by between an historic event/tragedy and a film/book that chronicles it so as to not be called cashing in/selling out? Or is that a number of you have the sneaking suspicion that this film will have some (heavy-handed) conservative agenda? (By the way, I do think that would be unfortunate)

    Perhaps I'm just playing devil's advocate. Believe me, the thing I'll likely enjoy the most from this film will be the score, though.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Saarland
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Haven't decided about the trailer, but the music is great! What a nicely depressing version of "America the beautiful" this is! Don't think we have to expect something narrowly patriotic out of this. I like it.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    5,481
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Eh.... it is what I expect it to be. Schmaltzy and Oscar-baity. No thanks though that swell in the score sounds nice.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)


    I mean, on one hand, it's Trent, but the trailer....c'mon.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    807
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Just curious: what is the length of time that must go by between an historic event/tragedy and a film/book that chronicles it so as to not be called cashing in/selling out?

    Not long...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saved_from_the_Titanic

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    man, you guys suck.

    New music, lyrics or no, is actually new music. I love the scores as much as anything TR has ever done. Do I throw on TGWDT everyday? NO, because I don't listen to anything every fucking day. I mean, he wrote a song for a fucking planet. Not just any planet, but the biggest and angriest in our solar system. Is that indie enough? Or pop?

    Maybe something more sinister like FUCKING TERRORISM.

    Remember YEAR ZERO? Lone wolf terrorism at home, ah hem. kinda in the doods wheelhouse.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,886
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarik View Post
    I actually don't think this account is official. That track sounds like it was sourced from the trailer, with some sort of noise reduction to block out the dialogue in the first half.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While it is going to be a while before it opens, Patriots Day is going to be screened to the public for the first time this Thursday at the AFI Festival.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    317
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    New trailer today:

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    5,481
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Eh..... NO!!!! Looks so fucking Oscar-bait with a bunch of patriotic bullshit. Fuck this.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    465
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Since there are mostly American users on this board I'm really interested in what you're all thinking of the new trailer / the movie. Like thevoid99 already said, it's patriotic beyond endurance. And when I open up the trailer on YouTube and take a look at the comments it seems that people mostly love it -- is that really what the average American audience wants to see?

    I don't know. It's one thing to make a movie about Facebook (which seemed odd at the time) but it's a whole other thing to make a movie about a bombing which happened just three and a half years ago. I can't wrap my head around this fucking movie. Making money out of this horrible event by waving a couple of American flags and playing heroic and overly dramatic music is so fucking wrong. Urgh.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,803
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Since there are mostly American users on this board I'm really interested in what you're all thinking of the new trailer / the movie. Like thevoid99 already said, it's patriotic beyond endurance. And when I open up the trailer on YouTube and take a look at the comments it seems that people mostly love it -- is that really what the average American audience wants to see?

    I don't know. It's one thing to make a movie about Facebook (which seemed odd at the time) but it's a whole other thing to make a movie about a bombing which happened just three and a half years ago. I can't wrap my head around this fucking movie. Making money out of this horrible event by waving a couple of American flags and playing heroic and overly dramatic music is so fucking wrong. Urgh.
    Poor taste is the American Standard you know.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,886
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    That trailer was ridiculously jingoistic, but I wasn't expecting anything different. I'll still be checking the film out since I like most of the cast (minus Marky Mark) and since Trent and Atticus did the score. Definitely not expecting anything as good as their work with Fincher, but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by it.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let's give Trent the benefit of the doubt. The trailer is trying to sell the film to mainstream audiences, not give an accurate depiction of the film.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Part of me thinks the only you can make this subject matter worthy of the art form would be to make it a dark comedy. It's a tragedy, so I think leaving it alone should be the default. That aside, there is some fertile ground for self-assessment in the events. e.g., the fact that the "terrorists" were essentially relatively well-off spoiled brats, the way the Red Sox used the tragedy as a marketing opportunity, the initial inability of the police to identify the suspects, the Reddit witch hunt.

    Another rah-rah, "aren't we awesome" movie isn't very useful IMO.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,539
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I wish this was the Snowden movie that they were scoring, when Ghosts I-IV was used throughout Citizen Four it was so perfect!

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Greater Boston
    Posts
    317
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Since there are mostly American users on this board I'm really interested in what you're all thinking of the new trailer / the movie. Like thevoid99 already said, it's patriotic beyond endurance. And when I open up the trailer on YouTube and take a look at the comments it seems that people mostly love it -- is that really what the average American audience wants to see?

    I don't know. It's one thing to make a movie about Facebook (which seemed odd at the time) but it's a whole other thing to make a movie about a bombing which happened just three and a half years ago. I can't wrap my head around this fucking movie. Making money out of this horrible event by waving a couple of American flags and playing heroic and overly dramatic music is so fucking wrong. Urgh.
    My feelings on this movie are very mixed. When i first heard it was being made i thought it was too soon. Then when Mark Wahlberg's involvement was announced i was a bit less skeptical. Say what you will about the guy but he is from Boston, it is very clear to me that he is a homer when it comes to the city and state. The film shot and then honestly i kind of forgot about it until TR+AR involvement was announced. This gave me even more hope for this movie.

    For me this movie is very close to home. I am in Boston everyday for work and this was a really fucked up couple of days. From the bombing, to not knowing what was going on or who did it for a few days and then the final manhunt and lock down, that shit was real and insane. While i remain skeptical about this movie at this point i can only hope that they do a great job.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    And when I open up the trailer on YouTube and take a look at the comments it seems that people mostly love it -- is that really what the average American audience wants to see?
    This country is split almost 50/50 on most issues and elections so any comments you might have read have an equally loud opposite sentiment out there. Oh yeah, also fuck this movie I won't be watching it.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,761
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Trent has 3 kids now, and NIN is a costly enterprise to take on the road. Let him do a few things for the money without kicking off about artistic value for gods sake.

  21. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    465
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Trent has 3 kids now, and NIN is a costly enterprise to take on the road. Let him do a few things for the money without kicking off about artistic value for gods sake.
    Huh? Nobody's shitting on Trent (at least in the last couple of posts). A job is a job and I think most of us are looking forward to the soundtrack. We were just discussing the nature of the film itself.

    BTW, thanks for your input, guys.

  22. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,761
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Huh? Nobody's shitting on Trent (at least in the last couple of posts). A job is a job and I think most of us are looking forward to the soundtrack. We were just discussing the nature of the film itself.

    BTW, thanks for your input, guys.
    Fair enough bit of an overreaction. I recall people getting very upset about him doing the Call of Duty theme and projected!

  23. #83
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    This country is split almost 50/50 on most issues and elections so any comments you might have read have an equally loud opposite sentiment out there. Oh yeah, also fuck this movie I won't be watching it.
    Moreedfwhdsahjioeqwfju;[9fe

  24. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,094
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Just what we need, something to fan the flames of hatred against Muslims. Perhaps this is just the wrong time for this movie after recent events. Hollywood are making these movies way too fast after their actual events.

  25. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    317
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hey so the movie drops December 21st, and we've pretty much covered the films content here (based on what's shown in the trailer).. How about the music? What do people think of the music in the newest trailer? Any speculation or actual leads on when we'll get pre-orders and sample tracks?
    Last edited by LOVEANDZOMBIES; 11-15-2016 at 06:27 PM.

  26. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,803
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    Hey so the movie drops December 21st, and we've pretty much covered the films content here (based on what's shown in the trailer).. How about the music? What do people think of the music in the newest trailer? Any speculation or actual leads on when we'll get pre-orders and sample tracks?
    I wouldn't be shocked if there was no physical release tbh, this is such a small film, all things considered.

  27. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    317
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah but Trent loves to create and release music. He's not in the business of creating music, releasing it and not marketing it in some capacity. I have a feeling that both this and Before The Flood (which was a way smaller film than this will be - more freely available, yes, but smaller overall), combined with the completely re-stocked NIN.com merch store (and influx of FB ads shoving that down our throats) are a push for funds to help with the new NIN that he recently said is well on it's way.

  28. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    2,340
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    What if... he used Ghosts for the score

  29. #89
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,358
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    What if... he used Ghosts for the score
    An Even Familiar Taste?

  30. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What music is in the trailer? Why not TR+AR?

Posting Permissions