Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: I am Jack's Downward Spiral

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am Jack's Downward Spiral

Fight Club, The Downward Spiral and select remixes are a singular piece of art.
    Connections such as the album inspiring the book, Reznor and Fincher working together, Only and Copy of A gave me the idea to try this.
    But i was not expecting these results.

Below are instructions to recreate "I am Jack's Downward Spiral" for yourself.

For this you will need:
    1) Video editing Software such as Powerdirector

2) A Bluray rip of Fight Club, unedited, including the 20th Cent Fox and Regency titles before opening credits
    I used Bluray, DVD rip may work depending if duration time of file is exactly the same.

3) The Downward Spiral

4) Further Down the Spiral
    Both UK and US versions

5) Closer single

6) March of the Pigs single

7) Still

Import your Fight Club file into your editor.
    Change the duration time of the clip to 02:57:35:01
    Mute/remove the audio of the clip.
    Replace audio with the tracks listed below. Start times are important but may need tweeking depending which CD you have taken the track from.

The Downward Spiral (whole album)
    00:00:48:13

The Art of Self Destruction, Part One
    01:05:46:15

Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now)
    01:11:26:19

Heresy (Version)
    01:15:29:13

All The Pigs, All Lined Up
    01:20:48:21

A Violet Fluid
    01:28:13:19

Underneath The Skin
    01:29:17:17

Closer To God
    01:36:30:18

Closer (Precursor)
    01:41:35:11

Closer [Deviation]
    01:48:51:01

Heresy (Blind)
    01:55:05:07

Ruiner (Version)
    02:00:37:20

Self Destruction, Part Two
    02:06:12:12

Closer [Further Away]
    02:11:49:04

Eraser (Denial; Realization)
    02:17:33:18

Self Destruction, Part Three
    02:24:06:14

Eraser (Polite)
    02:27:34:09

Hurt (Quiet)
    02:28:51:19

The Becoming (Still Version)
    02:34:02:12

Self Destruction, Final
    02:38:32:15

The Downward Spiral (The Bottom)
    02:46:58:10
    This will overlap with previous track

Erased, Over, Out
    02:54:13:11
    Crossfade with previous track for effect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Did you come up with this yourself, or is it taken from somebody else's template?

In any case, I'm intrigued because: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...m_campaign=all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The connections are obvious. When I first saw the film years ago the line that did it for me was " self perfection is masturbation, self destruction that's art". Immediately made me think of The Art of Self Destruction.
    Been planning to try to sync the two up for years, always with the idea to use remixes. Most syncs will just repeat the album till the film ends, in this case using the extra audio material is a no brainer.

I finally started work on this two or three weeks ago. There was lots of trial and error with some of the remixes. The end result leads me to believe that this was a deliberate thing done during the editing and production of fight club. If you look at how intricate some of the syncs are there is no way it's coincidence.
    Maybe the Only video and Copy of A were clues to this?

Incidentally I came across that article and podcast two days ago. I contacted Kevin telling him about this discovery as he was onto something with his analysis. While he is correct, there is a whole other layer going on when you include the remixes.
    The story becomes three different cycles of self destruction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I also disagree with Kevin when he says that tracks are representative of characters. Closer and Reptile for Marla for example. It's too simplistic.
    For me Closer is the theme for any kind of manipulation.
    Piggy is being unsatisfied with the current paradigm.
    Heresy is the beginning of a new paradigm.
    Reptile is the establishment of the new paradigm.
    Eraser and Self Destruction tracks are the loss and/or gain of control.
    Last edited by SLUGofficial; 09-12-2016 at 03:42 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Nice idea, but Still came out three years after Fight Club was released. Not only that, but you hop around between several albums and EPs almost at random. If all the tracks line up with the movie, this is mere coincidence, nothing more.

Kind of a cool fan project, though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Nice idea, but Still came out three years after Fight Club was released. Not only that, but you hop around between several albums and EPs almost at random. If all the tracks line up with the movie, this is mere coincidence, nothing more.

Kind of a cool fan project, though!
    At first glance I suppose the track list would appear to be random. But if you watch the video and see how they sync up you will see it's not the case.
    Sound effects to the big ball rolling into the coffee shop. The explosion sounds at the end of The Downward Spiral (the bottom) going off when the bombs go off. What's happening on screen during Underneath the Skin and Heresy (version). Eraser (denial realisation) plays during the scene when Jack realises Tyler is an aspect of himself. Musical changes matching up with facial expressions and emotion. Characters walking, getting punched, even head and eye movements in time to the beat.
    Like I said in my message to Kevin, if it's just coincidence then it's some spooky voodoo shit...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Nice.

Chuck Pallinuck has stated that he was listening to TDS while writing the book too (for those of you who havent heard that before, I think its pretty common knoledge now tho).

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I used to play Mario Kart 64 with Prodigy Experience playing, and it lined up insanely well. Like Ruff in the Jungle business plays when you get to the jungle stage.

Like the whole Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz thing, i think these things are amazing, but not intentional.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I used to play Mario Kart 64 with Prodigy Experience playing, and it lined up insanely well. Like Ruff in the Jungle business plays when you get to the jungle stage.

Like the whole Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz thing, i think these things are amazing, but not intentional.
    It might not have synced up to much, but I listened to that album and Music for the Jilted Generation when I was playing Final Fantasy VII with my friend chris back in the day.

Thats friggin awesome.

Sorry for the highjack.

edit: we also jammed to a bunch of the digi-pack singles back in the day, like the fire/jericho and charley ones. b sides like Scienide and the Trick. Keep in mind this was like 97-98 so this was pre-napster, we had to buy all this shit out of the overpriced import section of our disc jockey store.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 09-18-2016 at 08:10 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Dude. @NYRexall . I was on acid when i played prodigy and mario kart 64. i just didn't want to broadcast it.

i think we might have a lot of goofy shit in common.