Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Before the Flood (2016)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    TR & AR are in charge of the score, and he chose to not release it as a digital download on his own website. Don't make no sense for Apple to control this.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Don't know how to describe what I feel when listening to At Dusk. Takes my mind to a whole different place. So dreamy, almost otherworldly.

I can't decide which one I find better, At Dusk or Before The Flood. To me they are both the best TRAR have done in a long time. Nothing on their previous scores compares to the emotional weight of those songs.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    While there are other, less legal, ways of getting the music, not everyone wants to risk getting computer viruses or malware, just to get music.
    then you're doing the internet wrong. There is zero chance of getting a virus when d/l'ing a music release these days if you read how to do it first for literally 5 minutes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Back to talking about the score....

There are some real stand out tracks on it. But I still feel 'Minute to Breathe' is easily the best track. And I say that after a dozen or so listens. The score as a whole doesn't feel cohesive to me. The Mogwai tracks just seem... blah. Particularly the final track. It seems odd that they chose to dilute the score like that.

Perhaps the reason TR hasn't marketed or made this score easily available is because he simply isn't that proud of it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing View Post
    Perhaps the reason TR hasn't marketed or made this score easily available is because he simply isn't that proud of it.
    He should be. I agree that Mogwai didn't do their best job (I like their old stuff a lot, but their last few albums weren't that great either) but that shouldn't be of Trent's concern. Again, I'm repeating myself, but I think TRAR + Santaolalla delivered something truly great here. And I would be very much surprised if Trent and Atticus weren't proud of that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    He should be. I agree that Mogwai didn't do their best job (I like their old stuff a lot, but their last few albums weren't that great either) but that shouldn't be of Trent's concern. Again, I'm repeating myself, but I think TRAR + Santaolalla delivered something truly great here. And I would be very much surprised if Trent and Atticus weren't proud of that.
    I agree. The TR/AR and Santaolalla tracks truly are beautiful. I just think the Mogwai add on was unnecessary and actually detracts from the score. With TR/AR being the main drive behind the soundtrack, perhaps they are disappointed with the lack of cohesion as a result of the collaboration. Unfortunately, I know I am. I listen to Dragon Tattoo / Social Network / Gone Girl on constant rotation - and usually from start to finish. I just don't know if I can enjoy this one in the same way, which is a shame.

An alternative consideration may be that perhaps TR hasn't marketed this because he wants all of the attention to be on new NIN. One can only hope.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Before The Flood is all he's talked about since it was announced last month. I'm not sure how he's NOT marketing this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Before The Flood is all he's talked about since it was announced last month. I'm not sure how he's NOT marketing this.
    You're not sure? Okay... Did you notice nin.com hasn't even been updated? Or the fact that no info has been provided about the release formats, avenues etc. Or perhaps that he only has one purchase option on nin.com?

I guess you see the banner adds on itunes as effective marketing, huh.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Again, it's all he's talked about since last month. There are tons of articles out there that are either direct interviews or quotes from interviews. I'm not sure what more people want in terms of marketing, or why that somehow means he's not pleased with the album.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I'm sure we'll hear more about it when people other than film festival or premiere attendees can actually watch the film

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Don't forget: Trent himself was the one who said to steal YZ, when the label was doing dumb label things with that release. Now, whatever the source of the problem, dumb things are happening with this release. Expect complaining, because even he did about his own fucking release back then.
    The situations are not even remotely comparable. Trent told Australians to steal YZ because the Aussie label was artificially inflating the price. The same product was available every else for a fair price, but not AUS. Is that what's happening here? No. It's released on iTunes, for (roughly) the same price for everyone. If you don't like iTunes, or M4A/AAC, fine. I'm no iTunes fan either. But that's a personal beef, not evil labels gouging you.

It's only been about 72 hours since the release. There's no reason to think this won't get wider availability given a bit more time. Maybe Trent has given Apple exclusivity because he works for them now. Sucks if so, but that's his call. I think it's at least as likely that there's just a hold up on other distribution channels because of some legal nonsense or other.

Complain away, I have no problem with complaints. But this weak-sauce attempt to justify having a moral imperative to steal it because you can't buy it from Amazon or whatever other mega-corporation to whom you've sworn allegiance is bollocks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm listening to the Preview All on iTunes for the moment. Would like to hear more.
    Will see if a Europe Vinyl release appears.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    The situations are not even remotely comparable. Trent told Australians to steal YZ because the Aussie label was artificially inflating the price. The same product was available every else for a fair price, but not AUS. Is that what's happening here? No. It's released on iTunes, for (roughly) the same price for everyone. If you don't like iTunes, or M4A/AAC, fine. I'm no iTunes fan either. But that's a personal beef, not evil labels gouging you.
    Yup ! Medias always forget that AUS very located statement , let's do not make that easy error as a fan.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    So, how did you guys tag the tracks by Trenticulalla™? I'm going with "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross & Gustavo Santaolalla", but seems like I'm the only one doing that.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Just received the link for the digital download. FYI, I ordered the vinyl.

edit: received also this message from 'bandstore': ""Hi there,

I regret to inform that there have been delays on the digital downloads, due to this weekends DNS attacks.

I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.""
    Last edited by witte; 10-24-2016 at 11:06 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    So, how did you guys tag the tracks by Trenticulalla™? I'm going with "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross & Gustavo Santaolalla", but seems like I'm the only one doing that.
    Nope, exactly how I've done it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Nope, exactly how I've done it.

Me, too... at least on the songs where TR and AR's names come first. I'm assuming you guys are using that one, single tag regardless of the order their names appear? I truly wonder if the order of the names is arbitrary, and if it's not, I'd love to hear more about that.

The main edit I've made to the tagging is replacing the ampersand between TR and AR with an "and"...

Still haven't listened to the album – will do so later today – need to make sure I'm pleased with the tagging before scrobbling/listening
    Last edited by Deadpool; 10-24-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    Just received the link for the digital download. FYI, I ordered the vinyl.

edit: received also this message from 'bandstore': ""Hi there,

I regret to inform that there have been delays on the digital downloads, due to this weekends DNS attacks.

I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.""

The same. But those are 320kbps MP3...
    I would have expected some HD/CD quality files. Again, on the UK store, we never got to choose between MP3 and WAV. So, kinda frustrated. I contacted the bandstore to know more about it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post
    Actually I am even wondering about the profit of this movie, will they redistribute to some "environmental cause" ? I didn't hear about it. Or maybe it's a "not-for-profit" movie.

here's the answer to that question (this was just posted on Dicaprio's facebook page):

Proud to announce that #BeforetheFlood will be available to stream for free on October 30th! Fisher Stevens and I set out to create a film that would educate people on the urgent issues of #climatechange and inspire them to be part of a solution. We applaud National Geographic Channel’s commitment to bringing this film to as many people as possible.
    https://www.facebook.com/LeonardoDiC...3887390402116/
    Last edited by arsenic; 10-24-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Me, too... at least on the songs where TR and AR's names come first. I'm assuming you guys are using that one, single tag regardless of the order their names appear? I truly wonder if the order of the names is arbitrary, and if it's not, I'd love to hear more about that.

The main edit I've made to the tagging is replacing the ampersand between TR and AR with an "and"...

Still haven't listened to the album – will do so later today – need to make sure I'm pleased with the tagging before scrobbling/listening
    Yes, I was that sad too when I got a copy of the album!

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
    here's the answer to that question (this was just posted on Dicaprio's facebook page):
    More strange : some french fan told me that they will air a french dubbed version, and offer a french subtitle version on Dailymotion.com ! (but limited in time ? )
    EDit: that is confirmed
    Last edited by ninjaw; 10-25-2016 at 02:08 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    the full soundtrack is being uploaded to soundcloud right now (source: reddit).
    Last edited by arsenic; 10-24-2016 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Hey buds, had some time to cool off. I was pissed about the thing: apologies for further derailing discussion of the actual music here.

Going to wait to see if the lossless one becomes available on its own later, and in the meantime if it becomes available to stream in other places I'll check it out. Sometimes you just need to step away, even if you disagree with what is happening, and I should have done so earlier.

Edit: bad timing for me... The above post!
    Last edited by blassster; 10-24-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing View Post
    Back to talking about the score....

There are some real stand out tracks on it. But I still feel 'Minute to Breathe' is easily the best track. And I say that after a dozen or so listens. The score as a whole doesn't feel cohesive to me. The Mogwai tracks just seem... blah. Particularly the final track. It seems odd that they chose to dilute the score like that.

Mogwai's output over the last fee years has been very bland. I'd argue the same case for Trent and Atticus's music, to a lesser degree. Put them together and it's no surprise that you're getting a dull soundtrack.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Nothing too exciting to me on here. I'm sure it serves the purpose of the film well, but for me personally, maybe I'm just getting burned out on all the scores. And that's ok... looking forward to what new NIN brings

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    8 Billion is amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I finally received my download link and I fucking love every second of the score. The best score by Atticus and Trent so far.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I see the documentary is on UK TV on Sunday on National Geographic. 9pm.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    i don't know if it's mentioned before. i hear some sax on amtb/aml. i wonder if it's trent playing it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    France: guide TV and official website confirm TWICE in a row the doc on sunday (?), also played at the same time on second channel. It has been confirmed a 7 day dailymotion video with subbed french, airing should be dubbed french. (channel is free on Free.fr ISP so we can easily save it on a file)