Thread: Jack White/Third Man

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Jack White/Third Man

Two things. 1. NIN didn't do the only U2 cover. Fuck me:

2. Get your Third Man iPhone cases now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    is this a general Jack White Band thread? Because I have to say, I really love The Dead Weather, and I'm just getting into The Raconteurs. Consolers of the Lonely is an amazing album.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i think both those bands are head & shoulders above The White Stripes, who i could never get into. I see them as gimmicky and a fun novelty, whereas The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather are two groups of serious musicians.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The White Stripes are awesome too, but I like The Dead Weather the most I guess, because it has a darker vibe and it has Alison Mosshart and Jack Lawrence in it. JL's bass work is totally awesome, just listen to Old Enough by The Raconteurs, and you gotta love Alison Mosshart.
    Last edited by dominik; 01-15-2012 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typos

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I want a third Dead Weather album so much. They put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I love all - Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, White Stripes and solo. He can do no wrong, ever.

I like Dead Weather the most as it fits with my overall tastes and ideals more. White Stripes were always awesome. Raconteurs are good as well and my least fave of all White related endeavors.

Though Jack's ICP collaboration on that Mozart sampled thing was a bit weird and wrong and bad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i've read on a blog that white is a catholic douche who doesn't like gays. hope that isn't the truth!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    i've read on a blog that white is a catholic douche who doesn't like gays. hope that isn't the truth!
    That seems highly unlikely. He seems like the nicest guy ever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    There was an ace documentary called 'Red White and Black' on BBC 6Music today, for those of those in the UK. If not, I'm sure it'll be public elsewhere sometime soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    you guys gotta check out the Hang You From The Heavens remix by josh homme and mark lanegan.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    you guys gotta check out the Hang You From The Heavens remix by josh homme and mark lanegan.
    +1 It's Awesome. And as for the original post, Jack's cover of "Love Is Blindness" is probably one of the best things I heard last year. Chilling.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    http://jackwhiteIII.com/

"Love Interruption", the first taste of Jack White's debut album, Blunderbuss (Third Man Records/XL Recordings) out April 23, is available exclusively to Third Man Records Vault members to hear now! Check back at 1:30 pm CST to hear a free stream of the song.

Third Man Records will release a 7" of the single featuring non-LP B-side "Machine Gun Silhouette" on February 7 but it's available to pre-order now.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Two things. One: Jack White is playing here in 2 months and I'm fuckin' going. YES.

And two: Will the White Stripes ever reform, even for a festival years down the road? "Absolutely no chance."

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    That is the coolest fucking answer you could ever give.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    His new single is great, heard it on Alt Nation the other day.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Will the White Stripes ever reform, even for a festival years down the road? "Absolutely no chance."
    And now...

"I really, really miss The White Stripes."

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    If we're talking about Third Man Records in here, I'd like to add that Alabama Shakes are fucking cool.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Is there really an exact reason why The White Stripes broke up? Is it due to Meg White's fear of large crowds? That doesn't make sense to me since they actually don't have to do live shows, they could easily just do what The Beatles did and not play live.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I think it just boils down to the simply fact that they just don't want to anymore.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    drrrrrrrip drip

(holy. fuck.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Streaming now on iTunes. Nice stuff.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    So, what's the point of having two bands? They kinda sound the same. Just a change in aesthetic I guess? Sounds awesome either way though. Just can't wrap my head around the touring bands though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    So, what's the point of having two bands? They kinda sound the same. Just a change in aesthetic I guess? Sounds awesome either way though. Just can't wrap my head around the touring bands though.
    I watched a promo for Jack's live show tonight (the one directed by Gary Oldman) where he answers that question: it boils down to him needing to keep the tour interesting and dangerous so he doesn't fall into a comfort zone. He apparently rehearses the songs differently with each band, so as he's calling them out (there's no setlist), he may accidentally start playing the song the way he does with the other band. I found that really, really interesting because it's the same need he describes in Under Great White Northern Lights (amazing documentary by the way), only inverted in a way because he's doing it with two full bands instead of just one other person. Fascinating stuff. Also, Jack is very, very wealthy so he can indulge his idiosyncrasies in a really cool, elaborate manner.

And am I the only one loving the fact that Autolux's Carla Azar is his girl drummer? So awesome. Go Carla!!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Carla is a beast on drums. Wonder what they do differently though. Pretty cool idea though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I got into JW/Third Man through The Dead Weather Back in Sep, 2009. Recently I have picked up a handful of Third Man releases and gotten into The White Stripes. IDK why, but I cant decide if I like the Vault package idea or not - does anyone here have first hand experience with this?

My TMR vinyl:
    First Aid Kit - Universal Soldier
    Karen Elson - Milk & Honey
    The White Stripes - Hello Operator
    Jack White - Love Interruption
    Conan O'Brien - And They Call Me Mad?
    The Dead Weather - Hang You From the Heavens, Sea of Cowards
    Carl Sagan - A Glorious Dawn

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I just wanted to say that I listened to the leak, and now I feel like I want to go to the nearest music store and buy up every single copy of his solo album. AWESOME work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So um, it's only April but I'm pretty sure Blunderbuss may be one of the best albums released all year.
    Freedom at 21 has gone into my top ten all time favourite songs.
    GOD DAMN it's good.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Yeah, just downloaded this album finally this afternoon. Good tunes, good tunes.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The only thing I wish was different about the album, was that it had a little less country and more Freedom At 21. Not saying it's bad by any means, I just prefer the loud shit over his country works.