Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Jack White/Third Man

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    "who's with me?"

No one based on the reactions to these tracks.

You take how bad these new songs are coupled with his no cellphone policy and I wonder if it will hurt ticket sales at his upcoming non-festival shows. I know I won't be going.
    I like the 2nd half of "Corporation," and I'm digging "Respect Commander," but I'm kind of meh about "Connected By Love."

I got pre-sale tickets a couple of days ago to his stop in Phoenix. I haven't seen him live since 2005 (White Stripes GBMS tour), so I'm looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I actually appreciate his no cellphone policy and wish more artists would do something similar

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Uhhh....

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ is he rapping? Yeah, basically. Dude needs someone to tell him "no" in the studio.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Jesus Christ is he rapping? Yeah, basically. Dude needs someone to tell him "no" in the studio.
    I don't think I want to hear that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    He used to be so clever. Unfortunate that he drank his own kool-aid.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Word is it's a track from his scratched collaborative album with Jay-Z that he liked so much it was shoved on the new album. It's just so, so awful...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Further proof that rapping put into genres other than hip hop sucks ass. Then again we already have nu metal.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Further proof that rapping put into genres other than hip hop sucks ass. Then again we already have nu metal.
    It can work with nu-metal/metal, but it's very tenuous. Only a few pulled it off well. Rage, first hed pe (fuck you fight me), first Limp Bizkit, Judgement Night Sdtk, early Deftones, Orange 9mm, Candiria, Downset (not my cup of tea but people say it holds up). I didn't mind Reveille either but they weren't great obviously.

What was generally more effective was marrying the musical side of hip hop to metal, but leaving out the actual rapping. Slipknot (Bleed It out though is garbage bc Corey's actually rapping there and it's so bad), early Incubus, etc.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Word is it's a track from his scratched collaborative album with Jay-Z that he liked so much it was shoved on the new album. It's just so, so awful...
    Yeah I read this earlier and just shook my head. Reminded me that he did something with ICP back in the day too haha.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Just finished streaming the album. I kind of agree with some of the reviews that mention that it works better as a whole. It's definitely less focused than the first two albums, but it's not the disaster that people have been predicting.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    This has some parts that work, and a cool video. But overall it still isn't good. Those women that come in with the OVER & OVER? Egads. They sound so out of place.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I'm going to post badass Jack White material to make up for the seeming abortion of an album that is rapidly approaching:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I own most of his music. I've just never been able to see him live. Maybe that will change soon.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    To be honest, most of what's being said about the new album is way overblown in my opinion. It's a departure, but not a MASSIVE departure. I was actually waiting it for it to get really weird, but that never happened. That might actually be what's disappointing about it in my eyes. It's not weird enough.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My copy from the Vault arrived today, and this record works waaaaaay better as a whole imo. I basically love it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I like the album but I don't LOVE it. Not in the same way I instantly loved Blunderbuss. I commend Jack for experimenting and doing whatever the hell he likes. Good for him.

Saying that I can't wait to see him live again. Unfortunately, I can't make the London show on 28/03, but I've got tickets for the three Eventim, London shows and both Paris shows. Jack is one of my favourite live performers, I've already seen him a sickening amount of times between TWS, TDW and solo... I can't wait for the summer and to see his new live band line up.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    haven't given the album a full listen yet but I've been digging the songs that have been released over the last few months. Over & Over & Over is stuck in my head and I do enjoy the video. I'm getting an early experimental Funkadelic feel from some of what I've heard.

Have yet to see him live, and bummed out realizing he was local just last night, crap!

here's a full webcast:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm sorry, I love Jack White & all his varied side projects as much as the next person but... this is the worst effort I've heard from him. I applaud his experimentalism & willingness to take chances, & there are a few quality riffs scattered about, however overall it just flat out doesn't work very well. Artists need to evolve & change & enter new territory, I get that. I've tried on several open-minded listens to hear/appreciate what or where he's going on this thing, but the lightbulb has yet to come on. Honestly, ETS is the first place I've seen any positive feedback on it, even my most stalwart JW cheerleaders are holding their noses.

Bottom line, I think this album is not going to be very popular with his fans. And *not* because they're disappointed over not hearing typical Jack White musical stylings. Just simply because it's not very good.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad infinitum View Post
    Bottom line, I think this album is not going to be very popular with his fans.
    I think so too, but I think more people will warm up to it later on.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I do think this album will be an interesting and important one in his discography. It may be an indication of what's to come- will he get wackier and more experimental? Or, based on the feedback (if he cares about that, which I don't think he does) and the difficulty it took to make this album- will this album prove the opposite to happen - his next record/project is super straight forward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think the album is pretty awful, honestly. Over and Over is decent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm enjoying this "less focused" approach, especially on tracks like Respect Commander, Hypermisophoniac & Get in the Mind Shaft, but there's also way too much filler in there. Without the spoken bits the album could easily be reduced to an EP. I'm not against interludes in general, I just don't really care about the ones on this album.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    gave it a full on listen today. was surprised by the amount of spoken word tracks. in that sense, I got a bit of a later day Tom Waits vibe. spoken word over some bizarre music.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've never been a fan of Jack White studio stuff (even the White Stripes) but, holy shit, seeing him live is incredible. He and his band are so fucking good.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I've been a massive fan of Jack White ever since I heard "Fell in Love with a Girl" back in 2001 and bought White Blood Cells on the strength of that 1 song (that sounded like Buzzcocks to me). I've loved everything he's done in all his bands, and solo. Until now.

I'm at a loss with this one. It just feels like a mess, and some of it is so abstract purposefully and some of the "funk" type stuff sounds so cheesy. It was no surprise when I discovered my favorite song on the album, "Over and Over and Over," started as a White Stripes song (supposed to be on Icky Thump) and he's tried it with every band. I think it would have been a great song with any of those bands, and probably would've sounded better without the weird female vocals. Can't help but think that if it was Alison Mosshart instead, it would be totally badass.

And if you visit the r/jackwhite subreddit, wow. What a massive circlejerk about how it is Jack's 'Kid A.' I did a spit take on that one. As someone whose favorite band is Radiohead that is not an apt comparison. Radiohead weren't weird/abstract for the sake of it, they blew it all up sound wise, but at the core, almost every piece on the album was a solid song no matter what the instrumentation. For Jack, these are weird sketches and noodling around without much of the song craft I expect from him. I'm completely disappointed. I'm sure it will grow on me to some extent with time, but it will always be the weakest in discography up to this point.

For anyone interested, I chopped it up into an EP and it's a much more pleasant listen: https://open.spotify.com/user/inerti...QXyYtegJBw7N4A

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)