Thread: Nice, France Bastille Day Attack

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Nice, France Bastille Day Attack

Can't believe how much horrible shit is happening this year.

Nice attack: arms found in truck that hit Bastille Day crowd killing 60 people, French officials say – live updates

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...nglais-vehicle

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Death toll risen to 73...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I didn't mean to like the first post, fucking Tapatalk. This is horrible

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Yeah @Ryan sorry mate I can't comment on that, I don't get it. I'll need more info, a truckload of weapons and the guy just floors it? What the fuck was up with that guy...

My out-of-my-ass theory is that there was an operation planned for that very moment and the guy couldn't make it to rendez-vous for some reason (heavy security, traffic, whole cell has been quietly dispatched) , so he just went "fuck it, we'll manage some other way".

That's a stupid theory but that's the only one that makes sense to me at the moment.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Yeah. Apparently shots were fired into the crowd as well and an accomplice has escaped. The truck driver was killed.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    77 souls gone so far.... what the fuck? And of all days too...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Somebody recorded it from a hotel, unwittingly, I guess they were recording the festivities, it was a HUGE white cargo type truck, and at first he was approaching slowly and it looked like people were telling him he couldn't go that way, then he FLOORED IT. He evidently plowed through people for nearly a mile. Authorities believe they found his I.D. (he was shot by police), he was a French Tunisian citizen.

Really, it looks like the truck, itself, was intended to be the weapon. Nobody would expect it, and how do you even try to prevent something like that? This is all becoming a serious security challenge, it's so hard to predict.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-14-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    80 dead.
    So horrific. I dont know what to say, this is how its going to be for the foreseeable future in Europe.
    Its the frequency of these attacks, in Turkey, France its worrying.
    There is nothing France can do, i think this proves the state of emergency is useless.
    Last edited by Exocet; 07-14-2016 at 09:35 PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    @elevenism This is so similar to how Stephen King got inspired to write Mr Mercedes it's scary (that dude who plowed a car through a bunch of people waiting in line for job opportunities). Reality shaping fiction shaping reality...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Okay i think its safe to say that 2016 is officially the worst year in history

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    @elevenism This is so similar to how Stephen King got inspired to write Mr Mercedes it's scary (that dude who plowed a car through a bunch of people waiting in line for job opportunities). Reality shaping fiction shaping reality...
    So what you're saying is this turns into a trilogy of detective novels

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    So what you're saying is this turns into a trilogy of detective novels
    Unfortunately yes.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    80 dead.
    So horrific. I dont know what to say, this is how its going to be for the foreseeable future in Europe.
    Its the frequency of these attacks, in Turkey, France its worrying.
    There is nothing France can do, i think this proves the state of emergency is useless.
    Nothing they can do? Sure there is.
    Why isn't Germany or Sweden seeing this kind of problem?

Seems like they do a much better job of integrating their Muslim population. In France, a large portion of the Muslim population lives in segregation, in ghettos, without jobs, etc. Radical ideology breeds and hides in these environments.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Man, will the French prime minister announce Super Duper War on terrorism now? Europe is in shambles, and it is very far now from being just an isolated incident. It's getting tragicomic now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Nothing they can do? Sure there is.
    Why isn't Germany or Sweden seeing this kind of problem?

Seems like they do a much better job of integrating their Muslim population. In France, a large portion of the Muslim population lives in segregation, in ghettos, without jobs, etc. Radical ideology breeds and hides in these environments.
    France has a MUCH bigger Muslim population than Sweden or Germany...7 Million in France, compared to about 1.5 Million in Germany and 800 thousand in Sweden.
    Biggest in Europe by far.

Its totally different, i think Frances current government is appalling, i thibk Francoise Hollande is the worst French leader ever.

The French population of London has increased dramatically over the past 5 years, its like 500 thousand French here they are everywhere.
    I just think he is useless.
    Last edited by Exocet; 07-15-2016 at 12:20 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Nice, France Bastille Day Attack

I'd love to hear more views on this. It just seems like it's either something with the system, or "the Muslims are the problem"

The latter seems to be gaining popularity in many platforms and causing dramatic political change around the world.

And before I get ahead of things... Has this been confirmed to be a Muslim attacker?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    i think this proves the state of emergency is useless.
    I think there would have been a lot more dead people if it wasn't in place. We just hosted the second largest sport event of the year and nothing happened.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I think there would have been a lot more dead people if it wasn't in place. We just hosted the second largest sport event of the year and nothing happened.
    Well, except for the riots. And a few explosive flares thrown at the stadium (which easily could've been something much more dangerous)

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    In France, a large portion of the Muslim population lives in segregation, in ghettos, without jobs, etc.
    Not to contradict you, since there's no hard data about that kind of statistics (it's outlawed to do surveys on race and religion), but just a friendly reminder that muslim ≠ arab.
    Also, just like in the USA, race issues are deeply intertwined with class issues. What you call "segregation, ghettos" are rent-controlled social housings. People aren't parked according to race and religion, but they de facto gather in affordable housings and indeed lack of integration and rampant racism are a reason why most of them have to. I don't disagree with you in essence but I wouldn't want people with no context to read your post and think of Warsaw.

And also a bit of historical context : Germany and Sweden didn't have the same surge of immigrants as we did. After WW2, when France was in ruins, we were in dire need of workers, so we turned to our then colonies in north africa to advertise for job positions in the construction industry. Those thousands of workers settled in the projects we had just built and tended to live among themselves, which is understandable, they tried to feel at home, surrounded by people of the same culture.
    The kicker being, the government had said to the French population that this was a temporary measure, and that after their good service those workers would go back to their families. Obviously they didn't, after all they had a job that was better paid than what they had back home, so they brought their families in, and no one did anything to in help them integrate to the French society.

What I mean is that we had back then a huge and sudden surge of immigrants who were just looking for a job. It wasn't gradual, they didn't come because they loved the country or its culture, they came because we needed them, and they needed money. The whole situation was fucked from the very start, people who didn't really want to leave their home hosted by a country that wished it didn't need them. Yeah sixty years later you bet their children are resentful...

Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Well, except for the riots. And a few explosive flares thrown at the stadium (which easily could've been something much more dangerous)
    You know what I mean, the state of emergency isn't made to deal with drunk football supporters, you really want armed forces charging the people ? It's not a reaction apparatus, it's a prevention one based on intel, there's no way to control every part of every major city just in case a bunch of drunk tits suddenly decide they want a brawl. Similarly, you don't sneak in an explosive vest or even a grenade as easily as you would with a flare. The state of emergency is only here for one purpose, neutralize any terrorist attack. So yeah, nothing happened, apart from the usual disturbances associated with football events.

The weapons found in the truck were apparently fake ones (except the one he used), and the driver wasn't known for his religious positions, only for "standart" crimes. So far the guy was a criminal, not a religious terrorist. The whereabouts or the mere existence of accomplices is unknown at the moment.
    Last edited by Khrz; 07-15-2016 at 05:01 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    dude i totally just talked about that with my mom