Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Green Room

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

Green Room

Finally saw this movie and OMFG WOW.

Anyone else?

I went in completely cold, not really knowing anything about it other than the fact that Patrick Stewart was finally in a movie again. So I RedBoxed it last night and HOT DAMN I was RIVETED.

Honestly, it had me at HELLO. I was fully immersed and ready to go after the first five minutes and it only got better from there.

No spoilers or else I'd say WAY more! Yelchin may have died young, but GODDAMN he went out with a bang!

This movie and The Guest are hands-down THE BEST low-budget revelations I've stumbled across in the last few months. HIGHLY FUCKING RECOMMENDED.

And HOLY FUCK their soundtracks!!!

ENJOY.

\m/

Last edited by Hazekiah; 07-15-2016 at 12:20 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    absolutely perfect, realistic portrayal of a punk band & the oi/street punk scene/ethos involved. And that's before they even get into the meat of the story/white power scene which seemed pretty damn accurate realistic too. Would like to see again with subtitles as i thought much of the dialogue was muffled/low. Fantastic movie....right up there with Witch as the best movies I've seen this year.

Big things coming for this director I'd imagine (Jeremy Saulnier). You all should see his other movie Blue Ruin which is better in some ways, and just as intense.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I mean, really. Everything establishing this movie in punk-scene reality was ABSOLUTELY authentic, right down to their FUCK YOU choice of cover songs at THAT particular venue, lol.

And THANKS for the heads-up, btw! TOTALLY checking out Blue Ruin asap.

And The Witch was also one of my favorite, lesser-known films this past year. Did you know that the daughter's been cast as Iliyana Rasputin in the New Mutants movie? OMFG BE STILL MY HEART. Perfect casting!

And., yeah, subtitles are HIGHLY recommended. LOTS of details you'd miss otherwise.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This was enjoyable. I had some complaints about how Spoiler: the nazis didn't just all rush into the venue when the band left the green room and killed them all instead of sending in some dogs, and then waiting, and then sending in a few other guys

Anyone who hasn't seen Blue Ruin should do so asap.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    For me this was the most intense movie of the year till now and I really enjoyed it. Same with Blue Ruin.

I read somewhere that the director wanted to make the movie now, because he knew, that we wouldnt be able to do such a bleak movie later on in his career. The guy has a plan and I am sure we will hear more from him.

Patrick Stewart was really creepy!

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Man, thanks again for the recommendation, guys!

I am SUPER excited about Blue Ruin now. Never even HEARD of it before but can't WAIT to track it down!

And I've already returned it so I can't double-check without renting it again, but wasn't the..."opposition" all evacuated and/or tied-up with prepping the scene for the eventual CSI crew by then? I don't really feel like that's a plothole/problem/point-of-contention.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Watched it over the weekend. Very good movie indeed. However, I was personally would have done a 180 with the ending. Spoilers I guess: Just as the last two try to escape in a dramatic fashion, have them killed by the leader and then cut. This was the perfect movie for a gritty dark as shit ending.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Just finished watching Green Room. Fucking LOVED IT. It's now available on Amazon Prime too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Watched this last week with Prime. Really great movie. Stuck with me for a couple of days

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I saw this a couple weeks ago. A good film, but nowhere near as intense as I was led to believe.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    yea i thought it was kinda whatever. i thought it was gonna be more scary.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I saw this movie a few days ago, maybe my favorite of 2016 so far.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    God, I hate how we're so starved for decent movies anymore that anything good in the indie world is immediately overhyped to hell and then if you don't see it right as it comes out it somehow lets you down.

I enjoyed this a lot. I really like Blue Ruin. I'm looking forward to charting this director's career, but I couldn't help but feel like all the praise I'd heard somehow hurt my enjoyment of this movie. People talked so much about how brutal or violent it was that, while I guess objectively it is, I was actually underwhelmed by the violence; people played up how honest it is to the punk scene that I ended up going "Oh, so that's it?" when the first act came to a close. It was, overall, a very enjoyable, generally functional thriller, but if this is as good as movies this year get, then it's a shit year for movies.

I've just got to stop letting people's excitement or hyperbole color my taste of movies because it's happened a lot recently. Any passable or good horror or thriller seems to get turned into "THE NEXT EXORCIST" right away and then it can never live up. The Witch, Babadook, Green Room -- none of these thrilled me to the degree I was led to believe they would. Not the fault of those movies, but still.

I did love that this was a Carpenter-esque way of telling story almost exclusively through action. Some people hated the lack of exposition but I really enjoyed that aspect. Rather than become 2 hours long and stopping to explain everything, it just was a lean 90 minutes and let you figure it out. That was a nice, refreshing move to see. Blue Ruin's biggest weaknesses were when it stopped being so action-driven and became more expository, and while I still think I like Blue Ruin more overall, that was definitely a lesson Saulnier seems to have learned that he applied very, very well to this. It ultimately was just a thriller for thriller's sake, but that's fine with me. At this point I am so bored with heavy-handed high school AP student-level "meaning" or "messages" in these types of movies that I'll take a well-made pulpfest over that shit any day.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I hadn't heard nearly anything about this, since I actively avoided all conversation as I do with all movies I intend to see. I'm also glad I didn't watch the trailer either, because I think it would have significantly ruined the movie for me.