Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The E-mail Thread

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

The E-mail Thread

I was just thinking about E-mail again as I was reminded as how even in spite of how much has changed with forums and social media, we still need to use E-mail to register and sign in just about any website. It has also occurred to me more and more that sometimes, I just want to converse with somebody electronically without having to resort to forums, social media or even texting for that matter. And since Echoing the Sound started in 2002 (To still think that it's already been this long, with it being around way before YouTube, Facebook and Gmail on top of that.), I'd imagine and guess that there were probably lots and lots of users that used Hotmail and Yahoo. (If not just AOL.)

My first experience with E-mail was AOL, and then MSN, which could've have very well been just Hotmail, but that's what I used at the time. I also tried and still like Yahoo. However, I could see why both Gmail and Outlook after often favorites of most people I know. I also have a hunch that Gmail will be the most liked webmail provider here. It pretty much wins, and I'd guess from not just being from Google and coming with it, but also having YouTube as well. Hotmail also still seems to exist, but it's all run under Outlook this time around. However, you can still use the Hotmail domain name.

I was also reading advice on E-mail domain names and resumes/job searches/interviews, and Gmail and Outlook were the most recommended ones. (That is, aside from having one's own professionally custom made domain name.)

Anyway, which E-mail providers do you prefer? Which one do you consider to be the best, if any?

As for me, while I still liked what I saw from Yahoo and AOL, I'd have to go with Outlook and Gmail for my first go-to webmail providers.

And as much as texting has taken over, I actually sometimes prefer E-mail so much more, especially when I intend to have longer and more in depth conversations, which may or may not include URLs, pictures and videos.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-18-2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: I'm still guessing that when ETS first came out in 2002, there were lots of AOL, Hotmail and Yahoo users registered on ETS.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Gmail, plus Outlook for some less important stuff I don't want synchronized on my phone. (the less notifications the better)

But anyway, I'll be alone with this, but remembering how efficient "e-mailing" was using e.g. GoldEd editor on FIDOnet, e-mail is unusable for thoughtful, long communication about more than 1 topic. Then we had automatic quoting of replied text, inserting response under quoted part, then under another, all plaintext only but the editor was displaying it (edit: and reformating, no lines cut in the middle) so it was instantly clear what is what and history kept. Try that now, you'd have to resort to manual editing of fonts and colors (no, even big Outlook can't manage this properly), then the reply would appear completely damaged so you'd just give up. You know, something like this: https://goo.gl/images/68RpHA
    Last edited by Substance242; 11-19-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I use email a lot less than I used to. I don't send messages anymore. I only log in to check my inbox and most of it is junk. We don't use email at all at work. When I worked in finance, a lot of the law firms we corresponded with didn't use email.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Gmail for my phone and family, Hotmail\ outlook (showing age?) for everything else i.e. web site signups ordering shit off amazon etc.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I really should've posted this so much sooner. Anyway, I have absolutely thought about this as well, since everybody I know uses Gmail. However, I still found this to be an interesting point/topic/question regarding these popular free E-mail providers.

Anyway, I'd definitely also side with that stance on Stand Up! with Pete Dominick that states that AOL would stand out a lot more than Hotmail. It's also interesting that Yahoo wasn't thrown into the mix, but I also get it since I'd also sooner see people use Yahoo more than Hotmail.

It also makes me wonder if I should eventually switch to Outlook and/or Gmail professionally though, but I never had any problems with AOL and Yahoo before, but also see why some employers would rather see Gmail, especially in the 2010s/soon to be 2020s. I actually didn't think about it until I came across this picture along with the following URLs.

https://resumewriternatalie.wordpres...ing-about-you/

https://www.askamanager.org/2016/10/...-search-2.html

https://www.indeed.com/forum/gen/Res...-Email/t532157

https://www.quora.com/Does-a-Gmail-a...tmail-or-Yahoo

With all that being said again, even in spite of the convenience and efficiency of social media and texting, I still sometimes prefer E-mail for actual conversations. Even if it's not instant, it still gives me more than enough time to think things through while conversing online, but of course, it's really all about social media and texting for the most part these days.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-22-2019 at 05:01 PM. Reason: I just got the name of the radio show, and it's Stand Up! with Pete Dominick.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    If i didn't have an Android based phone, i would have never signed up for gmail. As it is, i never use it for anything. i don't give it out, i don't send mail from it, and if i get mail sent there, i have no idea. I have an old hotmail account that's mostly for spam, and a yahoo address that i've had almost as long that i use for basically everything. I never liked Outlook, and i don't think i'll ever use my gmail for much. I have an abject disgust for all things Apple so, i'm pretty much stuck with Google/Android. Beyond that though, i have almost nothing positive to say about Google at all.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It finally reached The Joe Rogan Experience, and well it definitely still seems to be the case where everybody is expected to use Gmail. I still understand how Gmail would still look better on a resume though, especially if it's related to computers and technology in general, or even with jobs like accounting, finance and banking, or being a lawyer or an attorney.

I've also been informed that some employers don't mind as long as the actual username is professional, conventional and inoffensive though. Aside from AOL, Hotmail and Yahoo definitely receive the brunt of "E-mail slander" as well.

I just enjoy thinking about this sometimes because I used to use AOL and Yahoo so much back in the 2000s, and noticed that I had a lot of friends and family that also used Hotmail prior to switching to Gmail. (Not that all of them switched, but there's still a lot of them out there, and they're also on Yahoo.)

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-22-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Oh wow an Email thread haha

Provider? for hysterical raisins, I run my own email service, top to bottom. I would not recommend anyone else do this anymore. But I'm kinda stuck with it. I tend to use neomutt to read my mail, but sometimes Thunderbird or iOS mail app.

Not a big fan of Gmail but I use it for work.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I had like five Gmail accounts but one main one.

After getting totally fed up with Google and Gmail (e.g. scanning my email for keywords, tracking), I’m now using my old @mac.com account

I was able to move all my Gmail folders to iCloud. (I have a LOT of saved emails, categorized in folders).

It took me nearly ALL DAY to change my email account on everything. Christ, you never realize how many accounts you have until you do something like this.

I use Mail on my MacBook Pro and the iOS Mail app.

I’m keeping my Gmail account only for the stray accounts where it was too hard to change my email but primarily for a Google Calendar that I share with two others.

Gotta say, though, that Gmail is definitely FASTER than Apple’s email. Which is probably the main reason why so many use it. It’s instantaneous, zero lags. They also don’t have as many attachment limits.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-24-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It seems like Tutanota, Mailfence and ProtonMail are like the AOL, Hotmail and Yahoo of the 2010s, but highly recommended in terms of privacy and confidentiality via encryption. Anyway, I just thought that they'd be worth mentioning here, and I tried all 3 webmail providers out of sheer curiosity. ProtonMail still seems to be the ultimate favorite and most popular of all 3 though.

However, despite how much I like ProtonMail as well, Mailfence certainly comes at a very close 2nd. In some ways, Mailfence just seemed a bit easier on the eyes, but just by a little bit, since I still liked ProtonMail's design as well. I like how simplistic and minimalist they look, while also being very convenient to keep organized.

https://tutanota.com/

https://mailfence.com/

https://protonmail.com/

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Funny this was bumped, I need to change my email since I've had the same exact one for years and the spam is just outrageous at this point. I really hate MSN, and Gmail is scary to use as far as privacy is concerned. What would you recommend out of the three?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I got so pissed at my Apple email, I’ve been transitioning back to Gmail. Ugh.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Funny this was bumped, I need to change my email since I've had the same exact one for years and the spam is just outrageous at this point. I really hate MSN, and Gmail is scary to use as far as privacy is concerned. What would you recommend out of the three?
    For simplicity, I'd actually still recommend Mailfence above all of them, but in terms of popularity, ProtonMail is certainly the Gmail of the 3. This also isn't to say anything bad about Tutanota's design either, but Mailfence just seems to be the easiest on the eyes out of all of them. However, I also have to admit that ProtonMail actually does look like the best of all 3 altogether.

As for me, I often just make throw-away accounts out of curiosity to see which one I'd like more before settling for one of them. It's why I didn't see this coming at first, but Hotmail/Outlook is actually my favorite out of AOL, Yahoo and Gmail. (Granted, I can't deny the massive storage of Gmail either, but I'm not really one to always save E-mails, and I just pretended that it didn't have Google and YouTube for a moment.) I also lean more to ProtonMail, but there's still something about Mailfence I can't put my finger on either.

As for Tutanota, it's still also right up there with the rest of them.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-12-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    For simplicity, I'd actually still recommend Mailfence above all of them, but in terms of popularity, ProtonMail is certainly the Gmail of the 3. This also isn't to say anything bad about Tutanota's design either, but Mailfence just seems to be the easiest on the eyes out of all of them. However, I also have to admit that ProtonMail actually does look like the best of all 3 altogether.

As for me, I often just make throw-away accounts out of curiosity to see which one I'd like more before settling for one of them. It's why I didn't see this coming at first, but Hotmail/Outlook is actually my favorite out of AOL, Yahoo and Gmail. (Granted, I can't deny the massive storage of Gmail either, but I'm not really one to always save E-mails, and I just pretended that it didn't have Google and YouTube for a moment.) I also lean more to ProtonMail, but there's still something about Mailfence I can't put my finger on either.

As for Tutanota, it's still also right up there with the rest of them.
    Thanks for responding! I'm going to mess around with some different accounts and see how it all works out once work slows down. I've noticed as well with Gmail that I get ridiculous amounts of spam mail, and I am extremely careful with the allowance of them flooding my folder. I've tried 3 different accounts and every one after a few months were flooded with spam.