Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things - AKA the Kate Bush Revival

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Having a trajectory is a great way to not fuck things up

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The important part is getting an end-point decided on. Game of Thrones is an instructive case-in-point, because all the major story beats were planned from day 1, with an end goal firmly in sight. That's why it remains essential viewing in its 7th season. Usually though, the philosophy is to milk a show indefinitely, so everyone gets paid as long as possible - this means there's only so much long-term planning the writers can do. They might write a 6-season arc only to be rewriting week-to-week to stave off cancellation, and finish in the 3rd; or they might be a Supernatural that's written for 5 seasons but just keeps going. More commonly, nobody bothers planning longer than a season. In nearly all cases, it means that a show spends most of its lifetime being written with no eye on the ending - this is why it's so hard to end a series well, and to maintain narrative quality throughout.

The good news with a planned end date for Stranger Things right off the bat, is that it implies they know where they want the story to finish, how to get there, and how long each step will take. Hopefully everyone involved can have the artistic integrity to stick to this.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Dude! Are these out on the floor already? Do you know how much? Me wants!!!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Anyone tried that Stranger Things mobile game? it's pretty fun!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    went to target yesterday to buy this...turns out it was either a) a hoax or b) hasn't actually been released yet and was posted by a target employee who hopefully won't get fired.

according to blu-ray.com it comes out next tuesday - http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Strang...lu-ray/190502/
    but that also uses the same image and i don't know if their info is reliable.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I really enjoy this series. It's so refreshing to see all this new talent. It's like Winona Ryder's official comeback. I'm glad she's back, better than ever. We all make mistakes.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Not sure if this really counts as a spoiler since it's in the trailer, but....

Spoiler: The house that Eleven busts into....isn't that her mom's house from the first season?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Not sure if this really counts as a spoiler since it's in the trailer, but....

Spoiler: The house that Eleven busts into....isn't that her mom's house from the first season?
    Holy shit, good catch!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Holy shit, good catch!
    We made a point to re-watch the first season before the second one aired, and we just happened to watch that episode the night before the trailer. Otherwise, there's not a chance in hell I would have made that connection. Dumb luck FTW?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

good news: the stranger things blu-ray/dvd set at target is real! and the poster that it comes with is pretty awesome!

bad news: there are ZERO special features on this thing (unless they're hidden), which is incredibly disappointing. i want a gag reel, behind the scenes footage, featurettes, etc.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

I know it's nitpicky, but I really wish the "VHS" cover and "cassette" didn't have the Netflix logo on them. This would legitimately look like a tape out of the 80s without that. Just put your stupid logo on the back.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I know it's nitpicky, but I really wish the "VHS" cover and "cassette" didn't have the Netflix logo on them. This would legitimately look like a tape out of the 80s without that. Just put your stupid logo on the back.
    i'm way more pissed off at the complete lack of special features (it's also way too big to be an actual tape).

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    i'm way more pissed off at the complete lack of special features (it's also way too big to be an actual tape).
    Ah, hard to get a sense of scale from the photos - good point. And yeah, I'd be way more pissed off about the special features, too. I wonder if they just didn't shoot much extra because they were on a budget and had no idea it would be this popular. Maybe S2 will have something?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Ah, hard to get a sense of scale from the photos - good point. And yeah, I'd be way more pissed off about the special features, too. I wonder if they just didn't shoot much extra because they were on a budget and had no idea it would be this popular. Maybe S2 will have something?
    hopefully!

when i get home later, i'll take a picture of it next to an actual VHS cassette so you can see the actual size of it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So the Stranger Things 2 score came out yesterday...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    So the Stranger Things 2 score came out yesterday...
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh really!?

guessing there are some spoilers in the track titles?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh really!?

guessing there are some spoilers in the track titles?
    A little, but nothing to insane that makes like "Oh man, that's spoiled!"
    I do like that the last track is called "To Be Continued"

The only thing that really pisses me off is that iTunes has 15 bonus tracks on top of the 34 tracks from the official release. I hate iTunes and do not buy lossy files. I picked up the soundtrack in lossless off another digital store, but it does not have the bonus tracks. F%&king pisses me off this exclusivity bulls%&t. I wrote Lakeshore Records asking them to release the additional tracks elsewhere like on their official Bandcamp page. I'll gladly rebuy the whole release for the 15 tracks in lossless. So let's hope there will be another release. But unlike last season, there's no Volume 1 in the title for this release. For example, Mr. Robot has 4 volumes.
    Last edited by neorev; 10-21-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I love my VHS set

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    hopefully!

when i get home later, i'll take a picture of it next to an actual VHS cassette so you can see the actual size of it.

sorry! totally forgot i was supposed to do this the other day.

anyway, you can see that the outer case and inner "tape" are way bigger than a standard VHS cassette, but they still look awesome!
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 10-23-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    A little, but nothing to insane that makes like "Oh man, that's spoiled!"
    I do like that the last track is called "To Be Continued"

The only thing that really pisses me off is that iTunes has 15 bonus tracks on top of the 34 tracks from the official release. I hate iTunes and do not buy lossy files. I picked up the soundtrack in lossless off another digital store, but it does not have the bonus tracks. F%&king pisses me off this exclusivity bulls%&t. I wrote Lakeshore Records asking them to release the additional tracks elsewhere like on their official Bandcamp page. I'll gladly rebuy the whole release for the 15 tracks in lossless. So let's hope there will be another release. But unlike last season, there's no Volume 1 in the title for this release. For example, Mr. Robot has 4 volumes.
    according to CoS, it's a bonus halloween album, not actually part of the score.

As an added treat, Dixon and Stein also made a bonus Halloween album that will only be available as part of the Apple Exclusive Deluxe Edition of the album.
    source

i just want to know when i can pre-order the vinyl :/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    sorry for the TRIPLE post

bought the itunes version of it. haven't actually listened to the show score yet, but i listened to most of the halloween bonus album. it's good, but it's more sound design than music (and really spooky). it would be perfect for like a home-made haunted house or something. otherwise, @neorev you're not missing much.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, it's here? And before I'll stop visiting this thread for a while - "Beyond Stranger Things", interesting.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80197912

Edit: And review already? :-O

https://www.avforums.com/review/stra...x-review.14119
    Last edited by Substance242; 10-27-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Today is gonna be tough juggling this and the new Mario this weekend. And people expect me to be social?!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Halfway through the second season and I'm still not convinced that this shouldn't have been a one-off or anthology series.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    My girl and I are quite enjoying it so far. About to watch episode 6.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This was world building, and gave us more of the characters. I liked it, but it suffered from characters blurting out confessions and deep self-realization. For me, this was kind of a suspension of disbelief killer. People just don't do that. Otherwise, I enjoyed the ride.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Three episodes down. Bigger budget is evident.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Starting Episode 7 Season 2.