Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things - AKA the Kate Bush Revival

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Joyce's character is meant to represent how men often don't listen to women. Zero payoff? Eventually everything she said is believed by every main character with which she interacts. She wins them all over.

Also, Matthew Modine isn't a name?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    Joyce's character is meant to represent how men often don't listen to women. Zero payoff? Eventually everything she said is believed by every main character with which she interacts. She wins them all over.
    No, she does nothing but unravel until the thing itself makes her stories real to everyone else. She definitely does represent men not listening to women... and that's it. Joyce plays no role whatsoever in making anyone believe her – in fact, she does the opposite by falling into every possible cliché used in psychological horror. She wins no one over. The monster and El do all that while she stares doe-eyed in the headlights, blabbering on and on in the whiniest possible tones. Her character is so poorly written it automatically makes the rest of the writing gold without even taking into account the other actors and dialog.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    How can she not represent the thing that happens to her throughout the entire show?

You may have missed the times people said "you were right and nobody listened"

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    And the art direction is sloppy as all hell - they're mixing up late 70s and early 80s props. It's driving me nuts.
    A few of the Trapper Keepers they use are models that weren't even around in 1983. Now that's an anachronism.

I honestly just heard about this show yesterday, and watched every damn second of Season One in "one sitting". I loved everything about it, and I don't really feel like using spoiler tags so yes I really do mean everything.

The soundtrack should be officially released soon, whether it will just be the original compositions by Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein, or contain some of the other music, I have no clue. The duo apparently composed quite a bit of music "for the show" that has yet to see the light of day. The Title Theme is extremely reminiscent of a cross between something like Cliff Martinez's "Wanna Fight" and Nobuo Uematsu's "Prelude" (yeah, the Final Fantasy song).

Cannot wait for Season Two, which they have no reason not to greenlight.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    A few of the Trapper Keepers they use are models that weren't even around in 1983. Now that's an anachronism.
    that was literally the only thing that bothered me about the show hahaha

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Not sure if this was mentioned already...
    ‘Stranger Things’ Original Soundtrack Album On The Way
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...um-on-the-way/

Btw, even on the photo in the article they look like real friends, this show worked.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Joyce's character is meant to represent how men often don't listen to women.
    Really? I read something simpler into her character: devotion. Family loyalty. Think that's what kept me watching despite all the things I disliked about it *coughbeercanswithpulltabscough*. So, her character represented faith while Modine's character represented reason. Or religion vs. science. I don't think he ever really dismissed her. He just needed hard proof.

Also, Matthew Modine isn't a name?
    They've obviously never watched .
    Last edited by Baphomette; 07-29-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    The show starts 11.06.83. The scene where Will's brother gives him the mixtape is a flashback so either the older brother had great record company connections that FedExed him a vinyl promo or it's sloppy continuity.
    I was looking over this more in-relation to Dungeons & Dragons. The version of D&D they are playing is also only a month or so old; it is commonly referred to as "BECMI D&D". Demogorgon was introduced in 1976, however, they are playing him/talking about him as if it's 1986, where he was part of the "Immortals" set.

The "Veil of Shadows" was not a real place at the time, and is likely an amalgamation of areas from the Plane of Shadows (Shadowfell) [that's a Forgotten Realms link, but it's still relevant].

The show isn't "perfect" the more you dig, but come on, it's extremely enjoyable despite it's flaws.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Or maybe these timeline discrepancies have a far deeper meaning...

::cue Twilight Zone theme::

But on a serious note, Jesus sit back and just enjoy a damn show. It's not like the kid pulled out an IPod and played Katy Perry or people are driving around in a Prius.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Lately, I like to take weird pictures with my old phone, no "post-production", just two seconds self-timer, wild camera movements, a few retries and luck. When I saw this one, I thought "Stranger Things". :-) Depending on your display, it is not completely black.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xingdabasx..._1887.jpg?dl=0

...and I think I will watch this complete show again, this will be first time that happening to me since... ever I think.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @Substance242

Me and girl have watched it twice completely. She started bugging me yesterday that she wants to watch it again, but we got some catching up to do with Preacher and Outcast and Wayward Pines. I also wanted to check out Mr. Robot.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    oh @neorev mr robot is about as good as it gets. get some for real. do you have access? i can hook you up on plex if you need...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    But on a serious note, Jesus sit back and just enjoy a damn show.
    I'm quite capable of multi-tasking, thanks.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I was looking over this more in-relation to Dungeons & Dragons. The version of D&D they are playing is also only a month or so old; it is commonly referred to as "BECMI D&D". Demogorgon was introduced in 1976, however, they are playing him/talking about him as if it's 1986, where he was part of the "Immortals" set.

The "Veil of Shadows" was not a real place at the time, and is likely an amalgamation of areas from the Plane of Shadows (Shadowfell) [that's a Forgotten Realms link, but it's still relevant].

The show isn't "perfect" the more you dig, but come on, it's extremely enjoyable despite it's flaws.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    can we all just agree that Tommy (Steve's buddy) is THE WORST? we can all agree on that, right? what a fucking turd.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    oh @neorev mr robot is about as good as it gets. get some for real. do you have access? i can hook you up on plex if you need...
    All good, downloaded the Season 1 Blu-ray just before KickAss Torrents went down. Been recording Season 2 on my DVR.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    All good, downloaded the Season 1 Blu-ray just before KickAss Torrents went down. Been recording Season 2 on my DVR.
    piratebay.org is going strong again, not that i would ever use it

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    and people have already set up an exact replica of Kick Ass with all torrents intact

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I absolutely loved this show. Will definitely grab the OST when it's released.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Stranger Things has surpassed 1 million likes on Facebook and still growing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    One of the best shows I've ever seen. I love how all the characters are people and they have depth. I want another season of this so bad. I would love El to return though. Hopefully she does. I really want the OST too, like others have said.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Volume 1 of the original score dropped. Does anyone know if it's on play music? (Google music)

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    Volume 1 of the original score dropped. Does anyone know if it's on play music? (Google music)
    No, I don't see it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    is it ONLY on spotify? jeez. i can't even find a pre-order for the CD anywhere, let alone a digital copy (i don't have spotify but the top result on google seems to be for a spotify album/playlist or something).

edit: it's on Apple Music, so i guess it's probably/possibly on itunes? i hate buying music digitally but it's even worse when you can only stream it. c'mon with the vinyl, guys.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Volume 1 CD release = September 16
    Volume 2 CD release = September 23

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    is it ONLY on spotify? jeez. i can't even find a pre-order for the CD anywhere, let alone a digital copy (i don't have spotify but the top result on google seems to be for a spotify album/playlist or something).

edit: it's on Apple Music, so i guess it's probably/possibly on itunes? i hate buying music digitally but it's even worse when you can only stream it. c'mon with the vinyl, guys.
    so it's definitely not on amazon, and when you search for Kyle Dixon, you get this: https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...rds=kyle+dixon

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    so it's definitely not on amazon, and when you search for Kyle Dixon, you get this: https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...rds=kyle+dixon
    The group is here. You are correct, though, there is yet to be a pre-order up for the physical releases.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just checked and Vol. 1 is on iTunes. $9.99, I'm all over it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    two huge thumbs up on the soundtrack. cant wait til vol.2. scratches all my ambient 80s synth needs lol.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yeah it's great. Good driving music