Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Retro Wave (80s Synth Pop from today)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

New Retro Wave (80s Synth Pop from today)

I guess a lot of you know "Kavinsky"

and while listening to his music I discovered the whole genre of "New Retro Wave" with amazing artists that create music to let you feel like you're in Miami Vice or Scarface.

[I hope Trent won't see us sharing YT-links :P]

I'm born in 1988 and I sometimes think that should've been born way earlier just to experience the 80s in all their glory and trashiness...and to experience NIN right from the start...
    Do you guys have any NRW acts you like?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    a lot of the score work being done for films right now (especially indie horror) has a similar sound & feel, and i love it. i'm also working on an album that isn't quite in this genre but it definitely has elements.

anyway, here are some things i really like that could i guess be called new retro wave:

mike simonetti - the magician, from the guest soundtrack

survive - hourglass, also from the guest soundtrack

the scores for You're Next and pretty much anything Steve Moore is doing (Cub, The Guest score) are also fantastic.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Great tunes
    Maybe you can post a track of your album here when you're done

btw:
    this dude from my old hometown and he fucking kills it!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The Le Matos soundtrack for Turbo Kid is a 80's inspired synth masterpiece https://lematos.bandcamp.com/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Try..
    https://soundcloud.com/protector-101
    http://telefuturenow.com/
    http://www.codeelektro.com/
    http://lazerdiscs.com/

There are dozens of these artists/labels at the moment, most of it is quite good.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    My brother a few weeks ago. Some really cool stuff. I think a lot of you guys would dig it!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Trevor Something's a really great Miami artist that fits the description. His album Trevor Something Does Not Exist is a free download on bandcamp:

https://trevorsomething.bandcamp.com...does-not-exist

All his other stuff is streaming, as well.

If you've never heard the Hotline Miami soundtrack then go do yourself a favor.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Klayton from Celldweller and Circle of Dust has a kind of retro side project that I dig:

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Power Glove is a well known artist in this genre. They made the super awesome Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon soundtrack too!

This my favorite track from the game and album:

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Also, the new Wes Borland album fits into this genre quite while surprisingly.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I don't know... on some level I think chiptune is the dorkier cousin to retro-rock... I'm interested in all sounds, and I have nostalgic love for early video game sounds. I have a modded Commodore 64 in my synth arsenal, so I can't cast stones.

But I was there, I was a little kid playing around on a commodore and those sounds bring me back. Maybe the way musicians on the same page will emotionally insert that tone into their music will transform into something that ties the sound to nostalgia in a general way, even for people who were born decades later. But 80s wave revivalism, I'm sorry, but that's people making music that at this point is incredibly easy to make. It feels like a mockery, from people who (mostly) have no attachment. It's like Wolfmother was to 70s rock.

Retro music to me though feels like a lounge act, or even worse some kind of revival scene. I can't help but hate and resent it.

Sorry if I sound like an asshole here, but I would like to ask... how many of the fans of this genre really lived through the 80s?

EDIT: I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing you for liking it. I'm just a miserable bastard born in 1980 who hates it... and maybe on some level I'm a synth-dork who hates how simple these tones are at this point. Oh cool, another square wave! I am a little bothered by the fact that you could put this together with something called an 'Ultimate 80s!" bank, and even then, you wouldn't even need to do much research to emulate all these sounds from scratch. But they don't have to, so they won't, and I'm just going to hear a bunch of musicians retread a genre that's been played out since I was ten.

I'd rather hear people learn from older genres and do something new. But that's me. Everyone else should enjoy what they enjoy.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-22-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    This thread needs a mention of Move to Pain (2014) by Sons of Magdalene, Joshua Eustis's post-TTA solo project. It's one of my all time favorites and for at least a year since its release I'd listen to it at least once. Very 80's, clearly influences by Depeche Mode, Talk Talk and the likes. Very dark and deeply personal subject matter.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I don't know... on some level I think chiptune is the dorkier cousin to retro-rock... I'm interested in all sounds, and I have nostalgic love for early video game sounds. I have a modded Commodore 64 in my synth arsenal, so I can't cast stones.

But I was there, I was a little kid playing around on a commodore and those sounds bring me back. Maybe the way musicians on the same page will emotionally insert that tone into their music will transform into something that ties the sound to nostalgia in a general way, even for people who were born decades later. But 80s wave revivalism, I'm sorry, but that's people making music that at this point is incredibly easy to make. It feels like a mockery, from people who (mostly) have no attachment. It's like Wolfmother was to 70s rock.

Retro music to me though feels like a lounge act, or even worse some kind of revival scene. I can't help but hate and resent it.

Sorry if I sound like an asshole here, but I would like to ask... how many of the fans of this genre really lived through the 80s?

EDIT: I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing you for liking it. I'm just a miserable bastard born in 1980 who hates it... and maybe on some level I'm a synth-dork who hates how simple these tones are at this point. Oh cool, another square wave! I am a little bothered by the fact that you could put this together with something called an 'Ultimate 80s!" bank, and even then, you wouldn't even need to do much research to emulate all these sounds from scratch. But they don't have to, so they won't, and I'm just going to hear a bunch of musicians retread a genre that's been played out since I was ten.

I'd rather hear people learn from older genres and do something new. But that's me. Everyone else should enjoy what they enjoy.
    i mean, i was born in '87 but spent my formative years listening to a ton of 80s music. i also, when i make stuff with arpeggiated synths, make sure to NEVER use a default preset. i always change things around to suit my needs, and i actually know how to program a synthesizer (be it a soft-synth of my akai ax-60) to get the sound i want. yeah, it's "easy" for people to make "retro" music these days, but that doesn't automatically make it bad or emotionless.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Agreed. I was born in 1981 and am in Jinsai's boat in that it's pretty obvious that it's sort of....hollow? Shallow might be a better word for it, in that it's all trying to capture that same vibe, so there's only so many different albums (i.e. on Telefuturenow.com) you can scroll through until it all just sounds the same. That being said, I enjoy it. Some of it more than others, sure...but I've been in to Timecop 1983 for a while now, and enjoy Arcade High and a few others. It's good background music when I'm working. Makes me wanna go play Bad Dudes on my NES or something lol.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Perturbator makes the rest of this a shameful waste of time (imo of course).

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    tl;dr Millenials seem to love irony. A lot.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post

I beg to differ, Le Matos has some really awesome tracks......example:

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I agree with the addition of Com Truise, Carpenter Brut and, Jasper Byrne.
    Those four for me are amazing at making music and they do it damn well.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I agree that its a trendy genre, and that most of it is crap. But some of it is quite good. Com Truise is really relaxing, and the Hotline Miami soundtracks are awesome when you play the game. One of the best meldings of game and soundtrack ever, I think.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 07-18-2016 at 05:45 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    I agree that its a trendy genre, and that most of it is crap. But some of it is quite good. Com Truise is really relaxing, and the Hotline Miami soundtracks are awesome when you play the game. One of the best meldings of game and soundtrack ever, I think.
    i mean, at least the crappy stuff is still fun. what i don't get is vaporwave or whatever it's called...but that's for a different thread (which i think got shut down haha)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i mean, at least the crappy stuff is still fun. what i don't get is vaporwave or whatever it's called...but that's for a different thread (which i think got shut down haha)
    Yeah, thats true. I think thats my general opinion of every genre- most of it is crap, but some of it is good. For this genre, pretty much any act mentioned here is all good to me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    like some of y'all i'm really hit or miss with this stuff. some of it has blown my mind, while others are definitely a bit too "microKORG preset" for me. i do love the drive soundtrack and a lot of the italians do it better stuff (even though most of it pales in comparison to the true italo disco scene), and really love the beyond the black rainbow and it follows scores.

that all said, if it sounds like john carpenter film scores or tangerine dream, i'm definitely in. there was a resurgence of this stuff that popped up in 2008 or so that had this vibe and even traversed the ebm/electro/cabaret voltaire soundscape. this is a forever jam:

Last edited by frankie teardrop; 07-20-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    also maybe some of y'all will dig this:

https://open.spotify.com/user/126480...1UxsX6UAhgzxrN

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Kristin Kontrol of the Dum Dum Girls opened up for Garbage on their tour. She's awesome. Fans of 80's synth-pop might like her.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 07-29-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

wooohooooo <3

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Kristin Kontrol of the Dum Dum Girls opened up for Garbage on their tour. She's awesome. Fans of 80's synth-pop might like her.
    Yeah, her album is superb. Best pop I've heard in a long time.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    that all said, if it sounds like john carpenter film scores or tangerine dream, i'm definitely in. there was a resurgence of this stuff that popped up in 2008 or so that had this vibe and even traversed the ebm/electro/cabaret voltaire soundscape. this is a forever jam:

Their "Fact" mix is superb https://www.mixcloud.com/FACTMixArch...96-gatekeeper/