Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Mandela Effect

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I don't think this stuff is officially a part of the "Mandela Affect" (logos and all that) but I used to kinda be fascinated with subliminal advertising, like "SEX" in the ice cubes in this ad:
    A friend of mine was an advertising major... kind of blew my mind when he showed me all the crazy subliminal stuff that's hidden, primarily in ice cubes in ads. Mostly it's just dicks... and once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Regarding the Mandela Effect... I think it's amusing, but I don't honestly buy it on any level. Sure, we're living in insane times, and The Berenstein Bears are spelled wrong, and Trump is fucking president of the United States, but all of this madness is just that, madness.

Except the Berenstein Bears thing... that is so fucking weird to me.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    A friend of mine was an advertising major... kind of blew my mind when he showed me all the crazy subliminal stuff that's hidden, primarily in ice cubes in ads. Mostly it's just dicks... and once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Regarding the Mandela Effect... I think it's amusing, but I don't honestly buy it on any level. Sure, we're living in insane times, and The Berenstein Bears are spelled wrong, and Trump is fucking president of the United States, but all of this madness is just that, madness.

Except the Berenstein Bears thing... that is so fucking weird to me.
    Now i must see these hidden ice cube dicks.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Now i must see these hidden ice cube dicks.
    http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/poster.asp Here you go!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeninphoenix View Post
    That is crazy... usually it's just that they have the ice cubes positioned in a way where it looks like a dickhead and part of the shaft... sometimes it's questionable, sometimes it's pretty blatant.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    It's the Looney Toons. As in "Looney Cartoons" which means Crazy, silly cartoons. Nobody will convince me that it's the Looney Tunes.

It's the goddamn Looney Toons, goddamn it. I'm not listening to your denials.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    It's the Looney Toons. As in "Looney Cartoons" which means Crazy, silly cartoons. Nobody will convince me that it's the Looney Tunes.

Wait... it's not Looney Toons?!?!?!?! WTF?! And when did C-3PO's leg turn silver?! I was just joking around with someone earlier, and they said that the line from Field of Dreams is actually "if you build it, HE will come..." No fucking way...

Also, Forrest Gump did NOT say "Life WAS like a box of chocolates." Does anyone remember the line going that way?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-17-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jinsai View Post
    and when did c-3po's leg turn silver?!
    Fake news!!!

edit: and the line from FoD is indeed HE will come and it's referring to either Kevin Costner's dad or to Shoeless Joe. Depends who you ask.
    Last edited by marodi; 02-17-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Fake news!!!

edit: and the line from FoD is indeed HE will come and it's referring to either Kevin Costner's dad or to Shoeless Joe. Depends who you ask.
    It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remembered it as "if you build it, THEY will come." Is that later, when the other team members show up? It's been a while

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remembered it as "if you build it, THEY will come." Is that later, when the other team members show up? It's been a while
    It's been a while too so I had to check to be sure but here goes:

Kevin Costner's character first hear "If you build it, he will come" and has a vision of a baseball field. He's learned about baseball from his dad, who is dead. His dad was a die hard fan and his favorite player was Shoeless Joe Jackson, who was banned from the MLB along with 7 other players because of the Black Sox Scandal. So Kevin Costner builds the baseball diamond and one night, Shoeless Joe shows up to play.

There's a road trip after that and to make a long story short: at the end of the movie, after all the other Black Sox players have shown up, it is revealed that one of the player is Costner's dad, once again a young man. So the "he will come" becomes about the dad.

I think that people remember it as "they will come" because of all the dead baseball players who show up or it's about all the folks who end up coming to watch them play, saving the lead character's farm in the process (he was about to lose it to the bank).

I'm a huge baseball fan and I love this movie. It's one of the greatest baseball movies ever made, up there with Eight Men Out, who is about... the Black Sox Scandal.

Hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    NO. You're wrong and I'm right, darn it! :P

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    Wait, isn't "Merrie Melodies"? I swear it was like that in the movies I watched as a kid.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeninphoenix View Post
    Wait, isn't "Merrie Melodies"? I swear it was like that in the movies I watched as a kid.
    Oh my god....
    Last edited by GibbonBlack; 02-17-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

I think that people remember it as "they will come" because of all the dead baseball players who show up or it's about all the folks who end up coming to watch them play, saving the lead character's farm in the process (he was about to lose it to the bank).
    Or... did we all slip through a quantum wormhole to wind up in a reality where Berenstein Bears are spelled wrong, "He will come," and Trump is President of the USA?

Deep thoughts, by Jack Handey...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

It's the goddamn Looney Toons, goddamn it. I'm not listening to your denials
    From Wiki:

"Drawing inspiration for its name from Walt Disney's then-concurrent musical series Silly Symphonies, Looney Tunes initially showcased Warner-owned musical compositions through the adventures of cartoon characters such as Bosko and Buddy."

But there WAS "Tiny Toon."

Last edited by allegro; 02-18-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Also, Forrest Gump did NOT say "Life WAS like a box of chocolates." Does anyone remember the line going that way?
    I've literally never heard anyone say "was" in that sentence. I can understand why people would think so, since the lead-up to that line is about the past.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I've literally never heard anyone say "was" in that sentence. I can understand why people would think so, since the lead-up to that line is about the past.

Just... apparently he does say "was" now... cue the Twilight Zone music...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Every single time someone brings up one of these stupid things I think "oh fuck you, it's not 'life WAS like..', it's always been 'life IS like' and you're a stupid prick for thinking that"

Then I look into it....

Apparently I have terrible hearing :'(

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I'm so glad you guys are talking about these. I just flat out LOVE weird shit.

It makes sense to me that the Forest Gump line was misquoted because who is going to repeat "life WAS like a box of chocolates?"
    I think that's how that happened.

Fun fact on that one: there is a version from test shootings or something where he DOES say "life is like a box of chocolates."
    People who are convinced that something has really changed call are calling this sort of thing "residual evidence."

One my mom and i noticed yesterday was Liquid Plumber. It says Liquid Plumr and i looked it up and they didn't change it along the way or anything, it's always been Plumr. Most of these brand name ones i'm not sure about, but DAMN "Plumr" looks wrong! :P
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-18-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I think we should just have fun with this stuff.

I don't think talking about it has to mean that you believe that a time traveler is changing things or we are living in a simulation or alternate realities are merging. You can notice these weird things without having to have a crazy explanation for WHY you remember it differently.

Of course, the reason it's happening is OBVIOUSLY because David Bowie was holding the fabric of reality together, i mean, i'm sure most of us can agree on THAT.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-18-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I had to listen to that six times with headphones before I heard the word "was". I just chalk that one up to bad hearing.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I don't get the people who thought it's Oscar MEyer.

The jingle commercial clearly said "my bolony has a second name, it's M A Y E R."

Last edited by allegro; 02-19-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I think we should just have fun with this stuff.

I don't think talking about it has to mean that you believe that a time traveler is changing things or we are living in a simulation or alternate realities are merging. You can notice these weird things without having to have a crazy explanation for WHY you remember it differently.

Of course, the reason it's happening is OBVIOUSLY because David Bowie was holding the fabric of reality together, i mean, i'm sure most of us can agree on THAT.

I completely agree. It's just fun nonsense. But I don't get your Bowie line...He's still alive

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

The Mandela Effect

i like it that lots of people think Darth Vader says "Luke, I am your father"
    but he doesn't, he says
    "No, I am your father"

(quite sure this has not been posted yet!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Wow. I absolutely remember Ed McMahon shilling for Publisher's Clearing House. I can hear him saying the words in my head. I remember the sequences with the giant checks. Damn. I confess to also being under the Berenstein delusion, too. And while I don't think I'm sliding through dimensions, I nevertheless do find it fascinating that so many people have reprogrammed their memories of things that are so completely inconsequential in the exact same way.
    this is what seems to happen to a lot of people: they will find one or two that REALLY get them.

Here is a big one that a lot of people have been talking about: a movie from the nineties about a genie starring comedian Sinbad. The movie was supposedly called Shazam.
    But such a movie never existed.
    I'm not affected by this one, but enough people are that Sinbad himself took to Twitter to talk about it.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Here is a big one that a lot of people have been talking about: a movie from the nineties about a genie starring comedian Sinbad. The movie was supposedly called Shazam.
    But such a movie never existed.
    I'm not affected by this one, but enough people are that Sinbad himself took to Twitter to talk about it.
    oh.
    my.
    god.

why is my false memory of this so vivid?!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    oh.
    my.
    god.

ewhy is my false memory of this so vivid?!
    therewas a movie called shazam only it was shaquille o'neal and he hopes you think it was Sinbad too
    -louie

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    therewas a movie called shazam only it was shaquille o'neal and he hopes you think it was Sinbad too
    -louie

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    an author mathematician friend of mine got stoned and were talking about this, we do this often, he's a lot smarter than me, his idea/ theory is it would start very small with one to or two letter word and things like tense, as time passed and awareness grew the phenomena would become more pronounced, to include skin color and geography, his next idea was to use it in a copy-copyright right dispute case, which I found entertaining.
    -louie

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    oh.
    my.
    god.

why is my false memory of this so vivid?!
    a lot of people seem to be tripped out by this. Here's another one: Sally Field said "You like me, right now, you like me" and not "you like me! You really like me!" when receiving her oscar. Now I didn't see the speech as I was 4 or 5, but we've all seen it parodied over and over and it's a trip that it's SO misquoted so often. Edit: and I say "so misquoted" because even though it's two words, the rhythm of how it's said is so different from the parodies. She says "...you like me. Right now. You like me." with pauses in between, as opposed to "...you like me. Right now you like me" (a la "you like me. You really like me." )
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-20-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    it's really tripping me out because i swear i saw it. i even remember hating it, no shit. and it absolutely was not that shaq movie.

weird af.