Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandela Effect

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

The Mandela Effect

When i was a kid, i read Berenstein Bears books. And recently, it occurred to me that the books are, in fact, called BerenSTAIN bears, and always have been.

Another thing that really gets me is Snow White-the witch says Mirror Mirror on the wall, right?
    WHen you go back and watch it, she says MAGIC mirror on the wall.

People are finding scores of these discrepancies, and many of them appear to be horseshit (thinking it was Interview With "A" Vampire, for instance,) but some of them are utterly fucking mind boggling.

People have also told me personal stories about things that they liked that now ostensibly never existed, or well remembered romantic rivalries in which the rival never existed,

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

And also can somebody tell me what in the fuck is going on?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    some people say "supposably" and some say "supposedly"

it's inherent subjection for the most part. small (yet poignant) realizations like you mentioned aren't productive. they keep you speculating, which is a waste of thought for the most part. it's regression. you can spend your mind power on much better things. you're a smart dude, fuck this elementary shit. believe me, sometimes ignorance is bliss. and it's not really ignorance per se, it's more like choosing your battles, intellectually speaking.
    Last edited by ldopa; 06-10-2016 at 11:18 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldopa View Post
    some people say "supposably" and some say "supposedly"

it's inherent subjection for the most part. small (yet poignant) realizations like you mentioned aren't productive. they keep you speculating, which is a waste of thought for the most part. it's regression. you can spend your mind power on much better things. you're a smart dude, fuck this elementary shit. believe me, sometimes ignorance is bliss. and it's not really ignorance per se, it's more like choosing your battles, intellectually speaking.
    But when things are literally CHANGING, like physically changing in our time line or dimension or whatever you want to call it, don't you think that is worth discussion?
    @ldopa do you remember it as
    "Mirror Mirror" or "Magic Mirror?"

I have remembered it as mirror mirror my entire life. that shit being different is highly strange.

same thing with berenstein vs berenstain. These things aren't simple little spelling issues, rather, they encompass, in the berenstain thing, literally MILLIONS of books and cartoons. And everyone remembers it as Berenstein. Meanwhile, Jan and Stan BERENSTAIN are wondering what in the fuck is going on,

As am i.

This is fucking high strangeness of the topmost variety, for real.

HIGH MOTHERFUCKING STRANGENESS i tell you, wide out in the open.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I thought I was the only one that went through that shit. That whole Berenstein shit is true. Son of a bitch.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I agree with @ldopa here.
    It's interesting, but we rewrite ourselves constantly, let our memories be rewritten by what we eventually decide to believe.
    OR you can decide that you're drifting from one dimension to the other with every passing second, wonder what it's about, question it until you have an answer, and lose your energy making sense of a mirror maze.
    It's fun, for a while, but it doesn't give you directions. To me, that's pointless.

Everything might be fake for all I know. But the world I witness around me is the only one I can actually navigate. Really the ground under my feet is the only part that matters, as it's the only part that supports me.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I agree with @ldopa here.
    It's interesting, but we rewrite ourselves constantly, let our memories be rewritten by what we eventually decide to believe.
    OR you can decide that you're drifting from one dimension to the other with every passing second, wonder what it's about, question it until you have an answer, and lose your energy making sense of a mirror maze.
    It's fun, for a while, but it doesn't give you directions. To me, that's pointless.

Everything might be fake for all I know. But the world I witness around me is the only one I can actually navigate. Really the ground under my feet is the only part that matters, as it's the only part that supports me.
    good god that's an interesting perspective

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Khrz i swear to god you could get people to pay money to read your thoughts and perspectives.
    for REAL.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    This is just gaslighting. If everyone mis-quotes something, that reinforces how you remember it. So you're more likely to reinforce it further by mis-quoting it.

Nothing more, nothing less: stop being paranoid.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    This is just gaslighting. If everyone mis-quotes something, that reinforces how you remember it. So you're more likely to reinforce it further by mis-quoting it.

Nothing more, nothing less: stop being paranoid.
    I didn't mean to like that post, but there it is.
    @elevenism , maybe one day, if I feel like I have something worth saying (note that I didn't say "worth reading" though). I'm not going to make people pay to watch me wank my own mind though, that's for free

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I didn't mean to like that post, but there it is.
    @elevenism, maybe one day, if I feel like I have something worth saying (note that I didn't say "worth reading" though). I'm not going to make people pay to watch me wank my own mind though, that's for free
    It's just a compliment. You aren't very good at taking them, are you?
    @DF118 , this is far more profound than "misquotations."
    Have you looked into this phenomenon at all?
    It started when, upon Nelson Mandela's death, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE remembered him dying in prison and were confused.

I don't see how paranoia plays into it in any way. It exists. It interests me.

I swear to fucking god, every single time i start a thread here about something interesting that doesn't fit into everyone's neat little bubble of what's "cool," i receive comments like that and ridicule up to and and including people inferring and implying that i am stupid, which is pretty fucking laughable.

Why not look at strange things that are interesting? MILLIONS remember the Berenstain Bears books as BerenSTEIN. MILLIONS of people.

Is that not an interesting anomaly worthy of discussion?
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-11-2016 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    It's the same for every thread man, whenever there's a specific subject there's always someone to barge in and point out that said subject is all bullshit.
    Even I have just been guilty of that, although I guess I said it in a less dismissive tone.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I love the mandela effect because it shows just how far people will blag themselves rather than admit that they incorrectly remembered something.

It HAS to be a parallel universe, not that my memory is fuzzy at times!

....or do I?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Good, enjoy the thread then.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    It's just a compliment. You aren't very good at taking them, are you?
    @DF118 , this is far more profound than "misquotations."
    Have you looked into this phenomenon at all?
    Have you ever looked into the phenomenon of gaslighting at all? It's when someone convinces you that your memory is at fault. This in turn, causes you to doubt your own sanity, or competence. An abusive person can take advantage of this to abuse someone. When the exact same thing happens on a sociological scale, it becomes a conspiracy theory. That's what this is.

It started when, upon Nelson Mandela's death, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE remembered him dying in prison and were confused.
    This morning, I was absolutely convinced I'd left my iPad on my bedside table, when in fact it was hiding in my work bag. Had hundreds of thousands of people agreed with me that I'd left it on my bedside table, I'd also be confused.

I don't see how paranoia plays into it in any way. It exists. It interests me.
    Paranoid people don't know they're paranoid.

I swear to fucking god, every single time i start a thread here about something interesting that doesn't fit into everyone's neat little bubble of what's "cool," i receive comments like that and ridicule up to and and including people inferring and implying that i am stupid, which is pretty fucking laughable.
    Innit great?

Why not look at strange things that are interesting? MILLIONS remember the Berenstain Bears books as BerenSTEIN. MILLIONS of people.
    That's because it's a common misconception. Everyone keeps making the same mistakes. Everyone hears "kiss the sky" and thinks it's "kiss this guy". Same thing.

Is that not an interesting anomaly worthy of discussion?
    What you're discussing are just mistakes, lapses in memory. It's otherwise known as "the mind playing tricks on you". Everyone has these every day. If you concede that people behave largely the same way, then everyone is prone to the same mental fuck ups. Then on the macro scale they see correlation. Then they all reinforce these mistakes as causation. Gaslighting.

Edit: btw- I don't think you're stupid, I just think you're bonkers.
    Last edited by DF118; 06-11-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The phrase "Luke, I am your father" is also never uttered...We do things to quotes to make them more "quotable", things get lost as they get repeated, simplified, made more concise and better sounding. In the age of internet and digital data, we can cross check right away whether a quote is correct or not, but it didn't use to be this way. Our memories are faulty, collective memory as well. We remember what is easier to remember and what makes more sense to us. For example, "-stein" is a much more common suffix than "-stain", making it an very easy mistake to make.
    Also, the phrase "mirror mirror" has stayed the same in the fairytale in my language, so am I in a different dimension or does it only affect English speakers? Does it affect only cartoon versions? Films versions? Book versions?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Nyx it is the 1937 version of Snow White by Disney.
    It's the one we all saw, in which everyone agrees that the witch said Mirror Mirror.
    @DF118 , i have been chased through a hotel by a ruthless gang of assassins. I called the police, who did a sweep of the hotel and came up with nothing. The assassins managed to hide and commenced hunting me. It was a ritual game of human hunting, and i was the target for 2015. I later saw a 7 foot tall incarnation of Baphomet standing outside my hotel door. By this time i knew i had had a full on psychotic break, so i was regarding it with the utmost curiosity, not fear. It fascinated me that my mind had created this thing.
    So yes, i AM crazy. If i don't take my meds, worst case scenario is that people are trying to kill me. And i've learned to flat out not trust human memories.

HOWEVER

Some of these things are happening on such a massive scale that there MUST be something to it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @Nyx it is the 1937 version of Snow White by Disney.
    It's the one we all saw, in which everyone agrees that the witch said Mirror Mirror.
    @DF118 , i have been chased through a hotel by a ruthless gang of assassins. I called the police, who did a sweep of the hotel and came up with nothing. The assassins managed to hide and commenced hunting me. It was a ritual game of human hunting, and i was the target for 2015. I later saw a 7 foot tall incarnation of Baphomet standing outside my hotel door. By this time i knew i had had a full on psychotic break, so i was regarding it with the utmost curiosity, not fear. It fascinated me that my mind had created this thing.
    So yes, i AM crazy. If i don't take my meds, worst case scenario is that people are trying to kill me. And i've learned to flat out not trust human memories.

HOWEVER

Some of these things are happening on such a massive scale that there MUST be something to it.
    *Slow clap*

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I am tired of people being so dismissive of actual high strangeness because "science."

Science is as faulty as religion.
    The science i learned in school in the nineties is mostly obsolete. We just discovered another fucking planet in the solar system. We don't know shit. The arrogance takes me aback, and it is quite similar to the arrogance of religious zealots.

Isn't it pretty fucking strange that there are 7 billion living, breathing, talking primates dominating this planet who eat, drink, sleep, shit, and fuck? Isn't it strange that these sentient sacks of matter have consciousness, produce art, have deep religious beliefs, hopes and dreams and aspirations, have insanely complex social structures, and have engineered a network with which to communicate with one another that also contains all the information in the world?
    Isn't it strange that anything exists at all?

As Dave Chapelle said, the worst thing you can call someone is crazy. It's dismissive.

SO-there is this Ayn-Randian objective box into which all knowledge must neatly fit.
    If anyone believes, or even ponders, anything that doesn't fit into this agreed-upon box, they are labeled a "wacky conspiracy theorist" (even when the subject at hand doesn't involve any conspiracy. Look up the word conspiracy. Hundreds of millions of "conspiracies" are committed every day) and dismissed.
    This is called "contempt prior to investigation."
    Everyone knows everything and speaks from an intellectual high ground on which they have already solved all the mysteries of the universe, and frankly, it maddens me.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Seriously, why is everyone so fucking closed minded?
    Why is everyone so quick to dismiss ANYTHING that disrupts their ethos?
    Why can there be no mystery left in the world?

Where is your fucking sense of wonder, for fuck's sake?

I know for a fact that i'm not the only person on the board who is interested in these things, because of private conversations. I get PMs that are like "hey, you're not the only one." No shit.
    The rest of you, however, are scared to be ridiculed by objectivist scientific geniuses that perhaps took a series of courses that you didn't.
    I'm not. Call me what you will.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    And although I'm not on either side on that fence, I find curious that when anyone acts like this in, say, the feminist thread, the marvel thread or the election thread they are considered fucking dicks, while here they find an occasion to shine by stating the obvious. You guys are the Rabbit™ of this thread.
    I'm not even comparing the importance or relevance of those threads, just the fact that when one seeks to have a conversation on a certain subject with like-minded people, there's always a smartass to come and stroke his fedora.
    I don't give a damn if someone believes in parallel dimensions, God, astrology, capitalism, guns rights, feminism... If they want to discuss any subject they don't need an armchair contrarian to help them find the light. They just want to enjoy a nice convo in a place they find cool enough.
    I don't go piss on the sports thread just because I find it boring, I don't come in the elections thread saying how tired I am of the fucking US freakshow, and I don't go in the astrology thread saying Orion has nothing to do with the shit going on in my life.
    Neither should you.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    There are so many complexities of the universe, so much that we will probably never understand in our lifetime and yet people get all Han Solo about everything.. "simple tricks and nonsense".

Shit like this regardless of whether or not it's happening, it's still wholly fascinating to me. For the same reasons that i wonder about aliens, we'd have to be pretty fucking egotistical and ignorant to think we're the only intelligent and sentient lifeforms.

Without solid proof to the contrary... the gate is wide open for wonder and speculation IMO

Besides where's the fun in being shallow?... sheesh.
    @elevenism Those fucking snacks i told you about on FB and their odd lack of existence will never cease to boggle my mind, someone HAS to have a bag of them that they've kept somewhere right? christ... out of all people in this world you'd think someone would take a picture and throw it up on one of those retro snack databases or something.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 06-11-2016 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    People shouldn't use the fact that science doesn't have all the answers to believe in fairies.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    People shouldn't use the fact that science doesn't have all the answers to believe in fairies.
    Well I'm pretty sure @elevenism isn't going to suicide-bomb an orphanage in the name of Alternate Earth #289904, so in the context of that thread I don't think it matters one way or the other.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    THANK you @thelastdisciple for the support and ACTUALLY DISCUSSING THE TOPIC and thanks @Khrz for going all batman and getting my back, even if you think i'm nuts too.
    @thelastdisciple YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO THINK OR TALK ABOUT ALIENS, because science, you wacky conspiracy theorist! How could we possibly not be alone in a universe with 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in it? Because see, physics.

And pay no attention to the Drake Equation because some people argue that that uses speculation! Under no circumstances are you allowed to SPECULATE about things.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-11-2016 at 08:26 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Chemtrailz.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Well I'm pretty sure @elevenism isn't going to suicide-bomb an orphanage in the name of Alternate Earth #289904.
    Well, yeah of course not! #289904 are dicks. #289905 through to #385125 are the ones worth killing for.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @RocketScience has a degree in theoretical physics, for fuck's sake.
    And we discuss these types of things constantly.
    So knowing a lot (or ACTING like you know a lot) about science doesn't mean you have to close your mind.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    And although I'm not on either side on that fence, I find curious that when anyone acts like this in, say, the feminist thread, the marvel thread or the election thread they are considered fucking dicks, while here they find an occasion to shine by stating the obvious. You guys are the Rabbit™ of this thread.
    I'm not even comparing the importance or relevance of those threads, just the fact that when one seeks to have a conversation on a certain subject with like-minded people, there's always a smartass to come and stroke his fedora.
    I don't give a damn if someone believes in parallel dimensions, God, astrology, capitalism, guns rights, feminism... If they want to discuss any subject they don't need an armchair contrarian to help them find the light. They just want to enjoy a nice convo in a place they find cool enough.
    I don't go piss on the sports thread just because I find it boring, I don't come in the elections thread saying how tired I am of the fucking US freakshow, and I don't go in the astrology thread saying Orion has nothing to do with the shit going on in my life.
    Neither should you.
    Bullshit.

elevinism asked:

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

And also can somebody tell me what in the fuck is going on?
    I explained it to him. Just because I had a rational explanation which doesn't involve alternative realities and aliens, this doesn't mean I was "stoking his fedora". It's not my fault that he loses his shit every 5 posts.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    It's the Berenstein Bears and only the Berenstein Bears.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    when i looked up 'the mandela effect' on wiki i was quietly re-directed to 'confabulation'
    *head explodes but not really*

doesn't that sorta bring this thread full circle?

i'm not trying to rag on the people who take this seriously, but i simply don't. particularly! i know i believe in astrology to a degree (it doesn't consume me,) so i'm really living in a glass house. such is life. i barely take astrology seriously though. actually that's a lie, it's my fleeting daydream.

nothing productive has come from my post. let's call the whole thing off.
    Last edited by ldopa; 06-13-2016 at 02:21 AM.