Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ghostbusters Thread

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

The Ghostbusters Thread

Could have sworn there was a Ghostbusters thread in here. I'll put this here, but I am not proud of it.

Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 01-15-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Had this pegged from the word "go." Unfunny. Awfulness. I fucking cringed when Jones slapped the ghost out of McCarthy and then she utters the Chris Farley line.

This will be a massive dumpster fire. I hope Wiig can escape unscathed.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Had this pegged from the word "go." Unfunny. Awfulness. I fucking cringed when Jones slapped the ghost out of McCarthy and then she utters the Chris Farley line.

This will be a massive dumpster fire. I hope Wiig can escape unscathed.
    Yeah, damn what was that. I mean, it's your typical summer popcorn flick that'll make enough money to warrant a sequel yada yada....but ugh.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yeah im just going to pretend this dint happen, this looks awful.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm actually really looking forward to this, looks great.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This looks more like a sequel to the live action Scooby Doo film than Ghostbusters

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I still skeptical about it, but it looked better than I thought. The trailer was very cliche, but it certainly does not have the same humor as the original.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I don't even want to point how bad it looks because there has been movies before that have proved me wrong, at least i'll try to be "objective" and watch the thing, not looking forward to it and don't care much for the actresses but i'll watch because i love the original movies and cartoon; hopefully it will not be a trainwreck....

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Nothing against the ladies (well except for McCarthy who i cannot stand in anything) but yeah It's just hard to feel excited for this after that trailer.

This looks like the sequel to Pixels.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It will probably be at least as good as Ghostbusters II.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I've never really understood all the hate that Ghostbusters II gets

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I liked Ghostbusters II. I think this one will be decent as I actually laughed at that Exorcist scene.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    It looks way better than I was expecting. And I also laughed at the Exorcist scene.

Slimer, Twinkie, Ecto 1... I'm in.
    Last edited by marodi; 03-03-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    A lot of the hate is misogynistic, imho. If the movie had an all male cast, would people be so negative? (and I am not referring to anyone in this thread). The movie has a great cast and the preview looks promising. I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    A lot of the hate is misogynistic, imho. If the movie had an all male cast, would people be so negative? (and I am not referring to anyone in this thread). The movie has a great cast and the preview looks promising. I'm looking forward to seeing this.
    It's possible that people think it looks bad without it being sexist though. People hate TMNT for the same reasons I hear for this.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    While yes there might be some people out there who aren't looking forward to the movie because it stars Women, there are people out there who just don't like what they're seeing and it has nothing to do with the fact that it stars Women. People are so trigger happy with the misogyny claim that it's become ridiculous. I've seen so many people accused of misogyny for expressing dislike in what they've seen, yet they've mentioned nothing negative about the actresses or the fact that it stars Women. I'm starting to think some of these misogyny accusers are just trolls.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sure, but some of the negative comments do seem to be misogynistic.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I love both of the originals in their own way. I really do not like one more than the other, but that's just me. I went into this trailer with an open mind, and the opening shot was kind of cool with the spray painted logo, but it all fell apart after that. It honestly just feels like Bridesmaids with Ghostbusters costumes. I'm sick of the whole all female cast controversy nonsense. It really comes down to the writing, and the direction... It's been proven even the best actors/actresses can only work with what they are given, and even having an all female cast that is has a pretty good track record cannot save this. The Exorcist scene made me roll my eyes... how many times can this cliche joke be used in a film? The CGI looks like something ripped out of The Haunted Mansion for fuck sake. Of course this is just opinion, but I cannot stand the entire cast with the exception of Kristen Wiig. The end of the trailer was just awkward, and was not funny; not a good way to end it at all. One aspect I did like was them showing off different weapons and gadgets when they were fighting.

"30 years ago, Four Scientists saved New York"... Wait.. is this the third installment? Or is this a reboot like I thought it was? And one last question, was it ever touched upon in the older films if Ernie Hudson's character was considered a scientist? This all confused me.

Besides the appearance of Slimer and the Ecto, I barely cracked a smile here.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 03-03-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I laughed at one part and then immediately forgot which part. I'm not against having an all female cast. I just really feel like they could have found funnier comedians. This latest SNL cast is just awful, IMO.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    "30 years ago, Four Scientists saved New York"... Wait.. is this the third installment? Or is this a reboot like I thought it was? And one last question, was it ever touched upon in the older films if Ernie Hudson's character was considered a scientist? This all confused me.

Besides the appearance of Slimer and the Ecto, I barely cracked a smile here.
    Paul Feig, the director, came out to clarify that it is indeed a reboot and not a sequel. So it's completely dumb to have the whole "30 years ago, four scientists..." part.

I'm not against an all female cast, I enjoyed Bridemaids, but this just looks terrible and I didn't laugh once.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I'll see it out of brand loyalty and curiosity, I guess. Not too excited about it otherwise, though.

I feel like I'll mostly just be annoyed at all the lost potential of the sequels that were never made while everyone was bickering until Egon died.

But the 30 Years Ago/reboot thing doesn't bug me. It's clear from several of the scenes in the trailer that it's a reinterpretation of the original, so the text connecting the audience to the history of the franchise didn't confuse me on that point.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by Wiig in The Martian and I love the franchise, so I'll give it a go and let it have its fair shake.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    In this day and age of the internet? Yes, that movie would still get shat on.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    In this day and age of the internet? Yes, that movie would still get shat on.
    If it was all male and looked like this? Yes, it would still get slammed. Hell, if this was original cast and they resorted to "jokes" like this it would get slammed. Women have NOTHING to do with it.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Who is really writing this movie though, Adam Sandler? ffs... i mean really.

That's the impression they're giving from the trailer as far as I'm concerned.

I hope this is just a crappy trailer and there's better writing and scenarios in the film than what's been shown.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Shit trailer - trite jokes, overproduced effects, terrible music and SFX. Literally no positive quality to this whatsoever.

The original Ghostbusters had a raw feel to it and survived on a terrific script and reasonably original story. This is just a rehashed money grab, and if the trailer is supposed to be showing the highlights, I can't imagine there being anything good in this movie. Definitely not seeing it in theaters or paying for a rental. If I happen to see it on the shelf at the library some day I might pick it up just out of curiosity, but I won't be making effort to see this yawn fest.

And yes, I can assure you that I'd be saying this regardless of who was in the cast. Frankly, I don't pay attention to actors' careers. I literally don't know who anyone is in this movie except for Wiig, and I only know her because she used to live here so she pops up in the paper sometimes. And I've seen plenty of Bill Murray movies that I didn't really enjoy, so even if they were relying on who's left of the original cast, it wouldn't mean the movie was suddenly more appealing to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This just looks horrible, really, the more time I have to process. Quit trying to make something out of nothing with the sexism bullshit. A shit looking movie is a shit looking movie. I actually cringed at all the jokes here. If they wanted to go with an all female comedian cast, there are way, way, fucking way funnier female comedians out there who they could have gone with.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my wife and i cracked up the whole time we were watching the trailer. we think it looks fun, funny, and we're excited about it.
    i honestly don't understand what problem people have with it or why they don't think it looks funny...
    also, there IS a lot of misogyny happening surrounding this, so trying to just ignore it isn't going to help anything.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm in support of the idea of women leading more blockbusters, but doing it for remakes feels like one step back as it does forward.

I wasn't a huge GB fan growing up, so I don't have much of a horse in this race. I think the women are all funny in what I've seen and heard elsewhere, so hopefully that will transcend.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I know I said this before but I'll say it again.

I'm all for a team of female Ghostbusters. The cast, director, and script need to be solid and those are the problems I have with this. Melissa McCarthy isn't funny. In fact, she's poisonous to the point where it's guaranteed I won't see any movie she's cast in.
    Kristen Wiig is solid. I think Kate McKinnon has potential. I don't find Leslie Jones funny though. Paul Feig has done nothing for me since Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared. I hated Bridesmaids.

When the rumors were going around about an all female squad, here's what I came up with:

Amy Schumer, Sarah Silverman, Kristen Wiig, and Jessica Williams. Directed by Lord/Miller. Or even David Gordon Green. Or Apatow.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    "Aww HELLLL naw"
    "it's a Cadillac!?"
    -turns full church catholic while slapping woman repeatedly-

Let's play guess the skin color!