Thread: Natural Born Killers

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Natural Born Killers

This just turned 20 a few weeks ago. It's still one of the greatest movies I've ever seen, and easily my favorite of the modern age.

Visually, there's nothing else like it. And even today, with how obsessed with violence and sex and war the world is, the story still resonates. Just a timeless film, breathtaking in its execution. No matter how many times I see it, I'm held rapt in what it conveys to the senses. That scene where they're arguing in the desert while "Something I Can Never Have" is playing is my favorite NIN cinema moment of all time.

I know people either love or hate this movie, so I'm interested to hear what others think of it..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hated it...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    It hated you too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    How sexy am I now, fucker?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think its an incredibly interesting watch, because the Tarantino-originated story and subsequent script, I feel, are outstanding, the cast is great, but the directing and cinematography are Way. Too. Much. I wouldn't be surprised if Stone snorted his weight in cocaine during the making of this.

I don't really know if I like it or not, but its fascinating to me in a "How did this happen?" kind of way. I feel the same about David Lynch's Dune and Johnny Mnemonic. These are movies with elements of greatness in them, but there were some bad decisions holding them back. For whatever reason, I can watch these types of films multiple times and appreciate them as a form of armchair film study. I would actually love to see NBK remade with less over-the-top direction and camerawork.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I still have my VHS copy of the director's cut as it's a fucking great film. Probably the last great film Oliver Stone did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i wish more films gave me the experience this film gave me when i first saw it in the mid 90s. that feeling like you are entering new unchartered territory, it does something genuinely new to your senses, blew me away when i first saw it, it takes you out of your comfort zone. had never seen a trippier film. Possibly Altered States... but with this....So many different things going on at once, like a bad drug experience. real great work of art. Only oliver stone film i like.
    The story though....what a load of shit, i didnt know what they were trying to say, never really paid attention to it, its nasty and badly written and the least interesting aspect of the film. but like Kubrick movies, or Blade Runner this was one of those films that was about style over substance and unashamed of it, .its about the images and sounds on the screen resonating with you first and foremost and the narrative being a mere tool to the overall experience. Its ahead of its time too. The sitcom family dinner scene is the most disturbing black comedy ever...

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I love this film and its soundtrack is excellent.

I so want this too.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I still have my VHS copy of the director's cut as it's a fucking great film. Probably the last great film Oliver Stone did.
    U-Turn was pretty great, I thought

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    my 18-year-old sister took me to this when i was 13. the manager made her sign a waiver releasing their liability in the event that, you know, my fucking head would explode or something.

it almost did. i loved it. nowadays? meh, whatever.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    U-Turn was pretty great, I thought
    That was a good film. Any Given Sunday I think was the last film of his that was watchable. After that, he just made one shitty film after another. He should fuckin' retire.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Does anyone remember that long trial that was brought against Oliver Stone in the mid-90s, when those two 18 year olds killed that cotton gin manager and shot that clerk down in Mississippi and claimed they were inspired by NBK? I think John Grisham was involved in it somehow, too..

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet
    but like Kubrick movies, or Blade Runner this was one of those films that was about style over substance and unashamed of it
    Kubrick was not "style over substance." He was maybe the greatest filmmaker of all time. He was all substance.

I'm not even going to get started on Blade Runner. Are you fucking kidding me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Absolutely one of my favourite films, for sure. I think maybe you could argue that story is not all that, but it's about the experience 'man'. I can't believe people were so nervous about it back in the day. It wasn't very subtle I know, but just a hugely enjoyable Fuck You to mainstream media. Plus - I love the cast. What was that Stone to Harrelson line? 'I see violence in you'. RDJ is just hilarious. Oh yeah, and the music is pretty good. 'I say go for it'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Kubrick was not "style over substance." He was maybe the greatest filmmaker of all time. He was all substance.

Im not kidding , i thought the Blade Runner story was kind of shitty. Always have done, im certainly not alone in this view, i dont care if he is a replicant. But that didnt stop stop me from loving the film and getting deeply immersed in the world it creates. I think its one of the most beautiful films ever made. The vangelis score, the lighting, set pieces are all utterly overwhelming. Its these that make it one of my fav films of all time not the plot itself.
    im not dissing kubrick either at all...he is one of my favourite directors ever, his films are like moving paintings, style over substance may be the wrong term, i dont mean to say his films are empty or have no soul. I mean there is more emphasis on the visual elements and style. Stephen king hated the shining because of this, I never really cared about the plot in barry lyndon, and certainly not 2001, still think they are both masterpieces.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Stephen king hated the shining because of this
    Stephen King has pretty notoriously bad taste when it comes to him evaluating the quality of film adaptations of his books. He hates The Shining (which is easily one of the best horror movies ever made) and likes Dreamcatcher. Either way, his big issue with The Shining was not that the film had an inordinate emphasis on the visual, he thought that Kubrick missed the point and misrepresented the main character. It was his own personal stock in the issue that clouds his perception. King felt like Jack Torrance was pretty much a personal representation of himself and his struggle with alcoholism. Kubrick wasn't interested in redeeming the character at the end. He didn't give a shit.

For King, it was vital that Jack sacrifice himself at the end of the story for his family. Kubrick's version of the story is darker and significantly more bleak, but I don't agree with King that Kubrick missed the point. The themes about alcoholism are still pretty blatant throughout the story. The main difference is that in the movie, the demons win.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Repetition works, David.

I still enjoy the movie. It's definitely one of Stone's best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Why on earth (to the best of my knowledge) was the double VHS set the last version that came with the Burn music video?! I don't own the blu ray yet but I don't think I've ever seen it on any of the DVD copies over the years.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    Why on earth (to the best of my knowledge) was the double VHS set the last version that came with the Burn music video?! I don't own the blu ray yet but I don't think I've ever seen it on any of the DVD copies over the years.
    I'm thinking it's probably because of music rights or something which is why I don't own the DVD/Blu-Ray set of the director's cut.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post

No! No, please! Get started! Let's all talk about how fucking awesome Blade Runner is!

I'd still totally do Sean Young, too. Even today.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Absolutely one of my favourite films, for sure. I think maybe you could argue that story is not all that, but it's about the experience 'man'. I can't believe people were so nervous about it back in the day. It wasn't very subtle I know, but just a hugely enjoyable Fuck You to mainstream media. Plus - I love the cast. What was that Stone to Harrelson line? 'I see violence in you'. RDJ is just hilarious. Oh yeah, and the music is pretty good. 'I say go for it'.
    "It's just murder, man. You say 'why'? I say 'why bother?'"