Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Louis CK

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Louis C.K.

Louis CK is the best comic around today. Here is a thread to discuss his awesomeness, including his show, his specials, yada, yada, yada. Speaking of which, his new special comes out in two days! See? Five bucks from his website. While I wasn't crazy about Hilarious, Chewed Up is my favorite comedy special of all time, and Shameless comes in really close. I really, really liked the first season of Louie. I'm not quite as impressed with the second season so far (I'm a few episodes from the end) but I'm still enjoying it. If you haven't checked out any of his stuff, run to Netflix RIGHT NOW and check out Chewed Up. Last I checked, it was on Watch Instant (not sure if it still is, though).
    Last edited by theruiner; 12-11-2011 at 12:06 AM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Double post!!! Why? Because Louis just put up an outtake from his new special. Here, check it out. NSFW. Very funny.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'm the biggest Louis CK fan in the universe, seen all his specials countless times, seen him live 4 times, but I have never heard this until yesterday. Holy shit

RIP Patrice

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Dude, his bit about that word and Huckleberry Finn that he did on his show was absolutely hilarious. Unfortunately, I've only found one copy on Youtube and it's terrible quality, otherwise I would post it. It honestly might be one of his funniest bits (which is saying something).

But yeah, Louis is amazing. My favorite comic by far, and I don't think there's anyone out there today who even comes close to being as funny (that I've seen). Chappelle comes pretty close though, I have to say. But Louis is still the best around.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go get a Cinnabon.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Yes with the hot jizz

and yes, Louis reading Tom Sawyer to his daughters is fucking hilarious.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    She's probably got a bunch of tumors in her head.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I was not that crazy about Hilarious, but it has a couple of really great jokes in there. His joke about guys who do the "jerking off" hand gesture is one of the funniest jokes I've ever heard/seen in my life. That phrase gets thrown around a lot, but truly, that really was maybe in my top three in terms of how hard I laughed. And it just kept going and going and I couldn't stop.

Plus, *spoiler for Hilarious*: Spoiler: That joke about fucking the dead kid was maybe the most offensive and one of the funniest jokes I've ever, ever heard. Even for Louis CK, that's pretty fucking out there. And that's saying something.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I'm the biggest Louis CK fan in the universe, seen all his specials countless times, seen him live 4 times, but I have never heard this until yesterday. Holy shit

RIP Patrice
    this never gets old. the balls on CK to say it. jeebus.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I've never heard that before! Oh my GOD, I can't believe he actually said that.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I love Louis CK...

But I was going to pick up the Louie Season 1 blu ray box, and I heard it's still got censored bleeps? Can anyone confirm that?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis CK
    "To those who might wish to "torrent" this video: look, I don't really get the whole "torrent" thing. I don't know enough about it to judge either way. But I'd just like you to consider this: I made this video extremely easy to use against well-informed advice. I was told that it would be easier to torrent the way I made it, but I chose to do it this way anyway, because I want it to be easy for people to watch and enjoy this video in any way they want without "corporate" restrictions. Please bear in mind that I am not a company or a corporation. I'm just some guy. I paid for the production and posting of this video with my own money. I would like to be able to post more material to the fans in this way, which makes it cheaper for the buyer and more pleasant for me. So, please help me keep this being a good idea. I can't stop you from torrenting; all I can do is politely ask you to pay your five little dollars, enjoy the video, and let other people find it in the same way."
    Cool stuff, I'd certainly buy it if I could spare the bandwidth space.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I love that Louis did it this way. It makes me want to buy a copy for everyone I know, just to support him. I can't, unfortunately, because I'm broke, but I wish I could. I hope it doesn't backfire on him. It would suck for him to do something cool for his fans and then have it turn out bad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I love that Louis did it this way. It makes me want to buy a copy for everyone I know, just to support him. I can't, unfortunately, because I'm broke, but I wish I could. I hope it doesn't backfire on him. It would suck for him to do something cool for his fans and then have it turn out bad.
    An hour ago he posted "I want to thank the living fuck out of everyone who is buying the special." on twitter. I'm guessing it's going pretty well. Downloading mine right now.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    The last ten minutes or so are golden, especially the part about men and women's differing p.o.v. of sex.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I'm insanely jealous of you right now. I probably won't be able to watch it for a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Cool stuff, I'd certainly buy it if I could spare the bandwidth space.
    I could be wrong, but I believe if you buy it you can stream it or download it. In fact, I believe you actually get both, so you can always go back and download it later if you want.

And Louis posted another outtake from the special. Again, NSFW:
    Last edited by theruiner; 12-10-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: The BB code is being an asshole. Again.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I could be wrong, but I believe if you buy it you can stream it or download it. In fact, I believe you actually get both, so you can always go back and download it later if you want.
    this is true

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Streaming takes up bandwidth as well. I'm limited to 15GB up/down total per month. Feels bad, man.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Louis is doing an AMA on reddit if anyone is interested.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...is_is_a_thing/

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I love how he said that he makes enough from standup now that he could keep the price really low on his special and that he wanted to keep it low for his fans.

Whatever respect I had for him before (which was immense) has just gone up again. I really do appreciate when an artist actually does something cool for his/her fans (see Trent) instead of shitting on them and/or not seeming to give a flying crap (see Tool). He could have easily sold this for ten bucks and made a really nice profit, but it sounds like he really did have his fans in mind.

Also, he said he will probably do another special this way, release it for five bucks again, and if he can make enough money from that he'll go and make another movie with it. So awesome.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    ^^I love how he said that he makes enough from standup now that he could keep the price really low on his special and that he wanted to keep it low for his fans.

Whatever respect I had for him before (which was immense) has just gone up again. I really do appreciate when an artist actually does something cool for his/her fans (see Trent) instead of shitting on them and/or not seeming to give a flying crap (see Tool). He could have easily sold this for ten bucks and made a really nice profit, but it sounds like he really did have his fans in mind.

Also, he said he will probably do another special this way, release it for five bucks again, and if he can make enough money from that he'll go and make another movie with it. So awesome.
    I don't see why no one else does this. I'm sure it cost absolutely nothing to film and put online, and he's got to be making a shit ton off of it. And every dime goes directly to him. I don't understand what's so difficult about that.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I just experienced my his TV show for the first time last night (also my first experience with HIM) and it was fucking hilarious. It was followed by Parks and Recreation, and 30 Rock, so all in all, awesome TV night.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Just watched the special. Favorite part was him explaining losing at Monopoly to his youngest daughter. Best part by far.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    I just experienced my his TV show for the first time last night (also my first experience with HIM) and it was fucking hilarious. It was followed by Parks and Recreation, and 30 Rock, so all in all, awesome TV night.
    Dude, you've gotta check out Chewed Up. It's way funnier than his show. Which is not a knock on his show, I actually really liked the first season (still making my way through the second, but I'm a little more lukewarm), but I think it's half as funny as his standup.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Just watched the special. Favorite part was him explaining losing at Monopoly to his youngest daughter. Best part by far.
    That, my friend, is a metaphor for adult life!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That was amazing.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    He posted more information on his site. https://buy.louisck.net/statement

Apparently, so far, he's made $200,000 profit. He considers it a success and will continue this sales model in the future.

What surprised me was how much money he put into it. I guess he had to pay a lot for his site and server space and whatnot. I still don't know how the production for the video costs $170,000, but whatever. Good for him.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I'd never heard of him until today, when I heard him as a guest on Fresh Air. They played a clip from his latest "comedy" special, and frankly, he came off sounding like the biggest douche bag in the world. Bragging about flying first class (because he's a "professional asshole"), telling stories about seeing soldiers being sent off to war in shitty coach seats, then laughing at the idea that he could swap seats with them - but never even actually thought of acting on it.

What a fucking dick. There's nothing even remotely humorous about that.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Uh maybe you should listen to more of his work...

Also, maybe those soldiers shouldn't have signed up for war. I find that humorous, selling your life to the highest bidding corporation.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm with Harry. You've got to hear more of his work. I haven't heard that bit yet, but I can already sort of picture it in Louis' voice/tone, and I don't think you understand his persona enough to know what he's going for. I'm not saying that to sound pretentious; I'm saying that honestly, because reading that as a huge fan of his and knowing all of his past work, it sort of puts that joke into context and I don't think he means it the way you understood it. I think a lot of Louis' work could be incredibly offensive out of context. You have to get a feel for his humor and sort of understand the way his mind works before you can really understand what he's getting at.

Which, frankly, I think is the same for a lot of comics. I've heard comedians say that you kind of have to take the audience on a journey during your hour long set. You can't just come out guns blazing with the craziest shit in your arsenal, because it will turn people off. You have to slowly build up to it, give them context, give them an idea of how you view the world, and only then, once you're pretty deep into things, can you start pulling out the really "offensive" stuff because then they're sort of on board for the ride now. If you hear some clip out of context on a show, having never heard Louis' comedy before, it's going to be off-putting.