Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Louis CK

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    surprised nobody bumped this to discuss the big HBO standup special he just did. I thought it was good, but that it had a surprising amount of strange dud jokes, the kind you usually don't find in his standup. The bit about the shark not knowing that people can see its fin? The strange extended bit about the old lady flushing her dog down the toilet and shitting on it etc...

Overall, awesome as expected though

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I didn't think it was as consistently funny as his previous stand up specials, but it was still really funny. Maybe it was the circle stage? I'd still say he's still got it.

Excited for Louie Season 4, but that's still a year away.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Re: Louis CK

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    surprised nobody bumped this to discuss the big HBO standup special he just did. I thought it was good, but that it had a surprising amount of strange dud jokes, the kind you usually don't find in his standup. The bit about the shark not knowing that people can see its fin? The strange extended bit about the old lady flushing her dog down the toilet and shitting on it etc...

Overall, awesome as expected though
    I was dying at the part about the shark. Different strokes

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I liked the shark bit as well. It was a good special, not quite as hilarious as his other specials but those would be hard to match.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The 4 episodes so far this season have been hilarious and uncomfortable all at the same time. This show has genius writing and simple beautiful cinematography. BUT I MISS THE DAMN THEME SONG!!! so here it is

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    This show sure has a way of making me remember I'm not actually dead inside, even though I probably deserve to be.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Louis just released a brand new special on his website. Once again just five bucks. Can't wait to watch it!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    That might be my favorite he's done, maybe even better than Houston.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Bought and watched the new special today. Generally pretty good but not his best. It actually felt like a club show in the sense that it seemed like he was trying some of those bits out for the first and doing some riffing. (I'm sure that it wasn't actually improvised but it kinda had that vibe).
    I know that was his intent with the hour but it felt unsatisfying compared to his other recent specials. There definitely seemed to be some undercooked bits in there, especially for Louis. The closer was shockingly weak, too, which is like a comedy beginner mistake. Still, I find Louis really compelling and it's still got a lotta laughs packed in. Easily worth the $5. (Funny, I was gonna pirate it too but he literary begs you to not to torrent it his website which compelled me to buy it for his self awareness alone. Smart move.) Plus, the baby airplane section and the bat story were both hysterical. Also, his show is still the best on TV.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I thought the same thing about the closing joke. Why didn't he close with the bat or rat story? I honestly don't even remember what he closed with, but I remember thinking "that's it? He's done?"

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I saw him at MSG last weekend. I was super close - Row 13. Somehow, sitting in MSG felt like we were still in a tiny club. It was also my first time at MSG, which is just a beautiful place. It feels weird to say that about an arena. But it is.

It was great. I'm assuming it's the same thing that was just released, or pretty close to it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    The 4 episodes so far this season have been hilarious and uncomfortable all at the same time. This show has genius writing and simple beautiful cinematography. BUT I MISS THE DAMN THEME SONG!!!
    When they redid the show intro in this I was dying....

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    man.... I'm an idiot. I was intending to go the show at the Forum... for some reason I thought it was in March. I'm really sad about that... I still haven't seen this guy live, and in stand-up comedy circles, I feel like I just missed out on my chance to see The Beatles play Shea Stadium.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I watched the new special last night and really enjoyed it. It was most definitely not his best, but it certainly wasn't his worst, either (that honor goes to Hilarious which I LITERALLY laughed at only twice). This was probably somewhere in the middle if I had to rank them.

Anyway, well worth watching if you're a fan of his. The bit about the baby was the funniest part of the special by FAR. Holy FUCK that was hilarious. But I didn't laugh that hard at any of the rest of it (though there were still plenty of laughs). As others have mentioned, some of it definitely did feel undercooked or even straight up improvised (Spoiler: the bit where he's speaking as the southern belle comes to mind- not funny at all and just went on way too long. Really bizarre and not in a good way).

Anyway, like I said, I still really enjoyed it and I think it's worth watching but still not his best.