Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - SPOILERS

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Either way I have a bad feeling about this (no pun intended). That movie although the casting seems fine by now has way too much potential to fail. I don't want it to, but I expect to be highly disappointed. Not that this movie will be handled badly, but because it's pretty impossible to satisfy the fans with this one.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Rumor is Ron Howard will be taking over.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Wow, looks awesome.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I just, I mean, I just, I just, I mean, I just I just I just *crying*

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The wealth of practical effects and creature design in that has me enormously hyped.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    If McGregor is cast, I'm all for this. Sounds far more interesting than the Han Solo movie.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Finally got round to watching The Force Awakens on Netflix: enjoyable movie, good pacing - though Rogue One is clearly better.
    Anyway for me The Force Awakens' weak point is Kylo Ren: he's barely above Hayden Darth, but only because he's a better actor. We get nothing about what makes him tick and what pushed him to the dark side, and I guess this is the problem that SW has been having ever since the prequels: you can't top Vader as bad guy, so they should try something else instead. Vader lite is disappointing, and Kylo Ren is Vader lite. Also, visually, the film could have been a lot more interesting and experimental: I guess after the Lucas prequels they've been playing it safe. This is a very conservative idea of what a SW movie should look like: I wanted it to be more flamboyant, given that the original SW films are quite flamboyant in places. Rey, Finn, Poe, and BB-8 were an awesome team, though I didn't care for the Solo/Leia nostalgia trip. Snoke was Palpatine lite, and a wasted opportunity: felt like yet another feeble old white guy as the embodiment of evil, and I guess that's to make a deliberate political point, but it's getting old. Apart from Maz Kanata, alien non-human characters got short shrift in this movie.
    Also, the title "The Force Awakens" is misleading as hell: I thought this was going to be an origin story about the force. I guess they meant "The Force Re-Awakens"...which is a little clunkier, but not much more than what they went with anyway.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I think that Ren was supposed to feel like Vader light since he wants to be like his grandfather and is still going through his training. Which I think his and Rey's training might be emphasized in the last Jedi.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Well, I hope they don't overdo it with the training stuff: I never liked The Empire Strikes Back much perhaps for that reason.
    One thing I liked about TFA is that Rey and Finn were pretty much ready to go: there was indecision, but no Luke-style teenage whining.
    But taking Ren more seriously in terms of showing his psychology and emotional development would help.
    Also: more Phasma please!
    Last edited by aggroculture; 08-26-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    i never liked the empire strikes back much perhaps for that reason.
    blaspheme!!!!!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @aggroculture , for the record, that faceplams was in good fun. :P

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Ava Duvernay now.

I mean, from a cinematic standpoint, she helped craft the final battle in TFA when JJ ran into a wall with it. If it's not her, go back to JJ or sign Rian Johnson on for another.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    Ava Duvernay now.

I mean, from a cinematic standpoint, she helped craft the final battle in TFA when JJ ran into a wall with it. If it's not her, go back to JJ or sign Rian Johnson on for another.
    Ava Duvernay would be an awesome choice.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    While I don't want there to be any trouble with the production of Star Wars IX (I'd like it to go smoothly so they can focus on making the movie great), I can't say I'm disappointed at the news of Colin Trevorrow dropping out (or being fired). I was excited for Jurassic World and left the theater feeling extremely underwhelmed and let down. I hope that I never have to leave the theater feeling that way after a Star Wars movie again. Even the "good" prequel movie (RotS) had enough face-palm moments (NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!) to make me leave the theater feeling disappointed. While they're certainly not perfect, The Force Awakens and Rogue One had me feeling like a kid again and grinning ear to ear. Here's hoping the next two films in the sequel trilogy are great and received by audiences even better than TFA. I'm not really sure what to expect from Rian Johnson, aside from the fact that he directed three episodes of Breaking Bad (one of my favorite TV shows of all time), including both the most polarizing episode ("Fly," which I had no problem with, personally) and the penultimate episode that's widely considered to be the best of the entire series ("Ozymandias"). Rian Johnson's resume makes me excited and hopeful, while Trevorrow's only made me worry that he'd fuck it up.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    While I don't want there to be any trouble with the production of Star Wars IX (I'd like it to go smoothly so they can focus on making the movie great), I can't say I'm disappointed at the news of Colin Trevorrow dropping out (or being fired). I was excited for Jurassic World and left the theater feeling extremely underwhelmed and let down. I hope that I never have to leave the theater feeling that way after a Star Wars movie again. Even the "good" prequel movie (RotS) had enough face-palm moments (NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!) to make me leave the theater feeling disappointed. While they're certainly not perfect, The Force Awakens and Rogue One had me feeling like a kid again and grinning ear to ear. Here's hoping the next two films in the sequel trilogy are great and received by audiences even better than TFA. I'm not really sure what to expect from Rian Johnson, aside from the fact that he directed three episodes of Breaking Bad (one of my favorite TV shows of all time), including both the most polarizing episode ("Fly," which I had no problem with, personally) and the penultimate episode that's widely considered to be the best of the entire series ("Ozymandias"). Rian Johnson's resume makes me excited and hopeful, while Trevorrow's only made me worry that he'd fuck it up.
    rian johnson has directed some of my favorite movies - Brick, The Brothers Bloom, & Looper. all three are so unique and beautiful, they're intense and immersive, and just so well done.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I didn't realize rian johnson did Looper! I very much enjoyed that film. That being said, with Episode IX not due out til 2019 the smart move from Disney/Lucasfilms would be to wait and see how Episode VIII is received. If it proves that rian has done well with fans expectations the smart move would be to nail him in as the director for the next (which would then further fans excitement for the follow up) and if it turns out that it isn't as good as they or us were expecting they can move on with a different director.

Either way, i'm not unhappy
    Colin Trevorrow is out now. I was skeptical when he was announced off the back of an 'OK' Jurassic World (the last fight was awesome but the rest of the film was a bit of a 'meh' if i'm being honest) and he hasn't done anything since to convince me he was able (Book of Henry...yeah, he did that!) so thanks but no thanks Colin, i hope Jurassic World 2 is good for you.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I found it hard to believe in the first place that a relatively unknown director gets to do sequels to the most money-worthy franchies on this earth and heck, he didn't even deliver with Jurassic World which was not a trainwreck but pretty forgettable. What makes people think he will do better on a Star Wars movie?

Glad he's out since I don't find him likeable either so all hopes for Rian Johnson to do a second one as well if Episode VIII is a success. Otherwise I cannot really think about a proper director right now who I'd like to see. Having Ron Howard do the Han Solo movie is still giving me headaches...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    rian johnson has directed some of my favorite movies - Brick, The Brothers Bloom, & Looper. all three are so unique and beautiful, they're intense and immersive, and just so well done.
    I haven't seen Brick or The Brothers Bloom, but I did forget about Looper, which I very much liked. I need to see that movie again.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    ... Otherwise I cannot really think about a proper director right now who I'd like to see...

I sense something, a presence I have not felt since...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I didn't realize rian johnson did Looper! I very much enjoyed that film. That being said, with Episode IX not due out til 2019 the smart move from Disney/Lucasfilms would be to wait and see how Episode VIII is received. If it proves that rian has done well with fans expectations the smart move would be to nail him in as the director for the next (which would then further fans excitement for the follow up) and if it turns out that it isn't as good as they or us were expecting they can move on with a different director.
    I would imagine Lucasfilm would argue they cannot wait for the release of VIII this December if they actually want IV to come out for 2019. I would think they already started production on IV in some capacity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stupid Porgs.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    They just premiered the trailer on Monday Night Football during the halftime show. It was amazing. Nerd boner at full mast.

Now going to try to avoid all looks at the film until it comes out.
    Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 10-09-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

I'm so there....

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I wasn’t blown away from the trailer but I think it’s because I invested way to much into it. But I purchased my Thursday tix and can’t wait.

This plus justice league, and maybe a Thor movie.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Definitely have to watch a rewind trailer of this tomorrow, but I am so pumped! That Finn and Phasma showdown!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw it during a terrible game on MNF and.... whoa..... We get to see a bit of Snoke and..... I think that's all I'm going to say as I'm not going to spout any theories that might spoil things.