Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 222

Thread: Star Wars Episode VIII

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,579
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Either way I have a bad feeling about this (no pun intended). That movie although the casting seems fine by now has way too much potential to fail. I don't want it to, but I expect to be highly disappointed. Not that this movie will be handled badly, but because it's pretty impossible to satisfy the fans with this one.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,162
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Rumor is Ron Howard will be taking over.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,182
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Wow, looks awesome.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I just, I mean, I just, I just, I mean, I just I just I just *crying*

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,906
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    The wealth of practical effects and creature design in that has me enormously hyped.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

  8. #158
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    611
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,182
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    If McGregor is cast, I'm all for this. Sounds far more interesting than the Han Solo movie.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,620
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Finally got round to watching The Force Awakens on Netflix: enjoyable movie, good pacing - though Rogue One is clearly better.
    Anyway for me The Force Awakens' weak point is Kylo Ren: he's barely above Hayden Darth, but only because he's a better actor. We get nothing about what makes him tick and what pushed him to the dark side, and I guess this is the problem that SW has been having ever since the prequels: you can't top Vader as bad guy, so they should try something else instead. Vader lite is disappointing, and Kylo Ren is Vader lite. Also, visually, the film could have been a lot more interesting and experimental: I guess after the Lucas prequels they've been playing it safe. This is a very conservative idea of what a SW movie should look like: I wanted it to be more flamboyant, given that the original SW films are quite flamboyant in places. Rey, Finn, Poe, and BB-8 were an awesome team, though I didn't care for the Solo/Leia nostalgia trip. Snoke was Palpatine lite, and a wasted opportunity: felt like yet another feeble old white guy as the embodiment of evil, and I guess that's to make a deliberate political point, but it's getting old. Apart from Maz Kanata, alien non-human characters got short shrift in this movie.
    Also, the title "The Force Awakens" is misleading as hell: I thought this was going to be an origin story about the force. I guess they meant "The Force Re-Awakens"...which is a little clunkier, but not much more than what they went with anyway.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,428
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I think that Ren was supposed to feel like Vader light since he wants to be like his grandfather and is still going through his training. Which I think his and Rey's training might be emphasized in the last Jedi.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,620
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Well, I hope they don't overdo it with the training stuff: I never liked The Empire Strikes Back much perhaps for that reason.
    One thing I liked about TFA is that Rey and Finn were pretty much ready to go: there was indecision, but no Luke-style teenage whining.
    But taking Ren more seriously in terms of showing his psychology and emotional development would help.
    Also: more Phasma please!
    Last edited by aggroculture; 08-26-2017 at 09:46 AM.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,428
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    i never liked the empire strikes back much perhaps for that reason.
    blaspheme!!!!!

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Part of Texas Where Motherfuckers Actually Wear Cowboy Hats and Whatnot
    Posts
    4,651
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    @aggroculture , for the record, that faceplams was in good fun. :P

  15. #165
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    611
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Ava Duvernay now.

    I mean, from a cinematic standpoint, she helped craft the final battle in TFA when JJ ran into a wall with it. If it's not her, go back to JJ or sign Rian Johnson on for another.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    5,646
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    Ava Duvernay now.

    I mean, from a cinematic standpoint, she helped craft the final battle in TFA when JJ ran into a wall with it. If it's not her, go back to JJ or sign Rian Johnson on for another.
    Ava Duvernay would be an awesome choice.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    366
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    While I don't want there to be any trouble with the production of Star Wars IX (I'd like it to go smoothly so they can focus on making the movie great), I can't say I'm disappointed at the news of Colin Trevorrow dropping out (or being fired). I was excited for Jurassic World and left the theater feeling extremely underwhelmed and let down. I hope that I never have to leave the theater feeling that way after a Star Wars movie again. Even the "good" prequel movie (RotS) had enough face-palm moments (NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!) to make me leave the theater feeling disappointed. While they're certainly not perfect, The Force Awakens and Rogue One had me feeling like a kid again and grinning ear to ear. Here's hoping the next two films in the sequel trilogy are great and received by audiences even better than TFA. I'm not really sure what to expect from Rian Johnson, aside from the fact that he directed three episodes of Breaking Bad (one of my favorite TV shows of all time), including both the most polarizing episode ("Fly," which I had no problem with, personally) and the penultimate episode that's widely considered to be the best of the entire series ("Ozymandias"). Rian Johnson's resume makes me excited and hopeful, while Trevorrow's only made me worry that he'd fuck it up.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,311
    Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    While I don't want there to be any trouble with the production of Star Wars IX (I'd like it to go smoothly so they can focus on making the movie great), I can't say I'm disappointed at the news of Colin Trevorrow dropping out (or being fired). I was excited for Jurassic World and left the theater feeling extremely underwhelmed and let down. I hope that I never have to leave the theater feeling that way after a Star Wars movie again. Even the "good" prequel movie (RotS) had enough face-palm moments (NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!) to make me leave the theater feeling disappointed. While they're certainly not perfect, The Force Awakens and Rogue One had me feeling like a kid again and grinning ear to ear. Here's hoping the next two films in the sequel trilogy are great and received by audiences even better than TFA. I'm not really sure what to expect from Rian Johnson, aside from the fact that he directed three episodes of Breaking Bad (one of my favorite TV shows of all time), including both the most polarizing episode ("Fly," which I had no problem with, personally) and the penultimate episode that's widely considered to be the best of the entire series ("Ozymandias"). Rian Johnson's resume makes me excited and hopeful, while Trevorrow's only made me worry that he'd fuck it up.
    rian johnson has directed some of my favorite movies - Brick, The Brothers Bloom, & Looper. all three are so unique and beautiful, they're intense and immersive, and just so well done.

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I didn't realize rian johnson did Looper! I very much enjoyed that film. That being said, with Episode IX not due out til 2019 the smart move from Disney/Lucasfilms would be to wait and see how Episode VIII is received. If it proves that rian has done well with fans expectations the smart move would be to nail him in as the director for the next (which would then further fans excitement for the follow up) and if it turns out that it isn't as good as they or us were expecting they can move on with a different director.

    Either way, i'm not unhappy
    Colin Trevorrow is out now. I was skeptical when he was announced off the back of an 'OK' Jurassic World (the last fight was awesome but the rest of the film was a bit of a 'meh' if i'm being honest) and he hasn't done anything since to convince me he was able (Book of Henry...yeah, he did that!) so thanks but no thanks Colin, i hope Jurassic World 2 is good for you.

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,579
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I found it hard to believe in the first place that a relatively unknown director gets to do sequels to the most money-worthy franchies on this earth and heck, he didn't even deliver with Jurassic World which was not a trainwreck but pretty forgettable. What makes people think he will do better on a Star Wars movie?

    Glad he's out since I don't find him likeable either so all hopes for Rian Johnson to do a second one as well if Episode VIII is a success. Otherwise I cannot really think about a proper director right now who I'd like to see. Having Ron Howard do the Han Solo movie is still giving me headaches...

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    366
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    rian johnson has directed some of my favorite movies - Brick, The Brothers Bloom, & Looper. all three are so unique and beautiful, they're intense and immersive, and just so well done.
    I haven't seen Brick or The Brothers Bloom, but I did forget about Looper, which I very much liked. I need to see that movie again.

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    on my way to hell
    Posts
    664
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    ... Otherwise I cannot really think about a proper director right now who I'd like to see...

    I sense something, a presence I have not felt since...

































  24. #174
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    1,940
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I didn't realize rian johnson did Looper! I very much enjoyed that film. That being said, with Episode IX not due out til 2019 the smart move from Disney/Lucasfilms would be to wait and see how Episode VIII is received. If it proves that rian has done well with fans expectations the smart move would be to nail him in as the director for the next (which would then further fans excitement for the follow up) and if it turns out that it isn't as good as they or us were expecting they can move on with a different director.
    I would imagine Lucasfilm would argue they cannot wait for the release of VIII this December if they actually want IV to come out for 2019. I would think they already started production on IV in some capacity.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stupid Porgs.

  26. #176
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    249
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    They just premiered the trailer on Monday Night Football during the halftime show. It was amazing. Nerd boner at full mast.

    Now going to try to avoid all looks at the film until it comes out.
    Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 10-09-2017 at 09:11 PM.

  27. #177
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    5,646
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)


    I'm so there....

  28. #178
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,428
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I wasnít blown away from the trailer but I think itís because I invested way to much into it. But I purchased my Thursday tix and canít wait.

    This plus justice league, and maybe a Thor movie.

  29. #179
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,296
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Definitely have to watch a rewind trailer of this tomorrow, but I am so pumped! That Finn and Phasma showdown!

  30. #180
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    5,646
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I saw it during a terrible game on MNF and.... whoa..... We get to see a bit of Snoke and..... I think that's all I'm going to say as I'm not going to spout any theories that might spoil things.

Posting Permissions