Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - SPOILERS

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Exactly! Apart from the goofy humour and the way too polished late 90ies look and feel to the prequels that is my major complaint. The movies and the story itself aren't bad imho, but having Anakin being a kid, falling in love with a quite elder woman and having him go through that whiney bullshit is what puts the nail in the coffin for me, and sadly they are returning to that hissy fit throwing villain with Kylo Ren, although he is much more compelling already and a tad more fleshed out to begin with. I have no idea why we needed to see a small kid exceeding in about everything and being all witty and such, although that never has happend in the series before and never again.

And I guess that is not Christinsen's fault at all, it's a bad script, horrendous dialogue and some odd choices. Like somebody already stated, even Neeson, Lee and McGregor are horrible in these movies.
    padme wasn't "quite elder." anakin is supposed to be, like, ten? and she's probably about 18 or 20 in the first movie. that's not really that big of a deal, BUT it's also in line with lots of creepy nerd stereotypes of young boys & older women.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Portman was horrible in the prequels too, she is still recognized as a great actress. I think the thing with Christensen is, he has no other really well known acting roles to his credit. The public just knows him from Star Wars.
    That's the part that drives me "crazy" about Christensen.

I obviously enjoy the shit out of the franchise and have since I was very young. I was in a playful mood on Saturday when I brought up the Patrice thing.

-----------------------------

The search continues for the Target exclusive edition of Rogue One. It says it's in-stock at the Galesburg store (about a 45 minute drive), other than that I'd have to drive to Iowa. Does anyone own this version and can comment on the quality?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That's the part that drives me "crazy" about Christensen.

I obviously enjoy the shit out of the franchise and have since I was very young. I was in a playful mood on Saturday when I brought up the Patrice thing.

-----------------------------

The search continues for the Target exclusive edition of Rogue One. It says it's in-stock at the Galesburg store (about a 45 minute drive), other than that I'd have to drive to Iowa. Does anyone own this version and can comment on the quality?
    Did you search Best Buy or Barnes and Noble? The Target bonus content doesn't look great.

http://www.target.com/p/rogue-one-a-...l/-/A-52235269

Why are Disney being such dicks? Have ONE release, one with the deleted scenes (which you know is coming at some point) and have it be available everywhere, like at fucking amazon.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I got the steelbook edition from Best Buy and love it. Looks badass.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I bought one as well

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I have the Best Buy exclusive and the "regular" first printing (with slipcase; probably will disappear on later reissues).
    @RhettButler I was interested in the Target one not only for completion, but I also wanted something that was closer to the packaging of TFA 3D Collector's Edition.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I have the Best Buy exclusive and the "regular" first printing (with slipcase; probably will disappear on later reissues).
    @RhettButler I was interested in the Target one not only for completion, but I also wanted something that was closer to the packaging of TFA 3D Collector's Edition.

Something tells me that if you wait for a year, you'll be able to buy a "3D Collector's Edition" of Rogue One as well. Star Wars is infamous for bleeding their fans dry like that. I picked up the Best Buy steelcase too. I kind of wanted the bonus featurettes included in the Target exclusive version, but I sprang for the prettiest packaging because I'm shallow like that.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Ewan McGregor was the only consistent actor out of the bunch for the prequels. The writing for almost every character was atrocious, but McGregor seemed to bring a different feel to delivery from the others. The only thing that bothers me the most is when he is about to battle General Grievous and he busts out that ridiculous looking battle stance; makes me burst out in laughter every time.

About to watch Rogue One tonight for the first time. Cannot believe it has taken me this long!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    padme wasn't "quite elder." anakin is supposed to be, like, ten? and she's probably about 18 or 20 in the first movie. that's not really that big of a deal, BUT it's also in line with lots of creepy nerd stereotypes of young boys & older women.
    She looks like she is about the same age in TPM and AOTC.

They spent about a week together, when she was 19 and he was maybe 10, and they spent a decade pining after each other? And please explain how she was elected queen of a whole fucking planet, as a teenager, and then steps down as queen when her term expires. That's not how monarchies work. None of this makes any sense.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    She looks like she is about the same age in TPM and AOTC.

They spent about a week together, when she was 19 and he was maybe 10, and they spent a decade pining after each other? And please explain how she was elected queen of a whole fucking planet, as a teenager, and then steps down as queen when her term expires. That's not how monarchies work. None of this makes any sense.
    Oh God...the Star Wars nerd in me wants to explain how Naboo 'elects' their monarchy and how Palpatine puppeted the system in such a way to ensure this young person was elected queen instead of someone capable but I have to go home. Someone else?

Just as adequate a response: George Lucas.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Something tells me that if you wait for a year, you'll be able to buy a "3D Collector's Edition" of Rogue One as well. Star Wars is infamous for bleeding their fans dry like that. I picked up the Best Buy steelcase too. I kind of wanted the bonus featurettes included in the Target exclusive version, but I sprang for the prettiest packaging because I'm shallow like that.
    I think last year for Force Awakens I bought the Target & the Best Buy, swapped the Target discs into the better Best Buy packaging, and then gave the Best Buy in the Target packaging to my godson and goddaughter.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    In Episode I, Anakin is 9, and Padmé is 14.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

They spent about a week together, when she was 19 and he was maybe 10, and they spent a decade pining after each other?
    Exactly, that is even more striking than the age difference. Honestly, these things drive me nuts and totally throw me off of that way of telling the story. Why is he so young when we first meet him? Why not play it like Luke and have him being introduced at a reasonable age for the story? Why do we have to go through that slavery thing, the Pod Race? Why can Qui-Gon not take his mother as well? Because Jedi mind tricks don't work on Watto?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    In Episode I, Anakin is 9, and Padmé is 14.
    Portman was born in 1981, she was 17/18 when TPM was filmed. If they wanted Queen Uba Dubba to be 14, they should have cast an actress who was 14. She was a lot older than him in TPM and it's just weird. Next time they meet they are roughly the same age. Bad writing. Lucas sucks,
    Last edited by GulDukat; 04-19-2017 at 05:32 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Exactly, that is even more striking than the age difference. Honestly, these things drive me nuts and totally throw me off of that way of telling the story. Why is he so young when we first meet him? Why not play it like Luke and have him being introduced at a reasonable age for the story? Why do we have to go through that slavery thing, the Pod Race? Why can Qui-Gon not take his mother as well? Because Jedi mind tricks don't work on Watto?
    And why have Anakin be the creator of C3PO? Why shoehorn that in? How does it serve the story? It's just dumb.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Oh God...the Star Wars nerd in me wants to explain how Naboo 'elects' their monarchy and how Palpatine puppeted the system in such a way to ensure this young person was elected queen instead of someone capable but I have to go home. Someone else?

Just as adequate a response: George Lucas.
    You shouldn't have to explain. This is Star Wars, it should be pretty straightforward. Imagine if the planet Earth elected an 18 year-old to govern, called them a king or queen, and then elected someone else. Make any sense?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Bad writing. Lucas sucks,
    Hold me, Ani. Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo...where there was nothing but our love...
    To this day, I'm still convinced Lucas was trolling.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Portman was born in 1981, she was 17/18 when TPM was filmed. If they wanted Queen Uba Dubba to be 14, they should have cast an actress who was 14. She was a lot older than him in TPM and it's just weird. Next time they meet they are roughly the same age. Bad writing. Lucas sucks,
    With your logic, they should have cast someone other than Mark Hamill for the role of Luke in the sequels (and OT), as Luke is 53 in The Force Awakens, and Hamill is now 65. In ANH, Luke was 19, and Mark was 24, I think.
    Same goes for Han. He was 63 in TFA, and Harrison is now 74, a few years after TFA. Bad casting. Who's the casting director of the sequels? Seriously. Oh.... Nina Gold. No wonder. Amateur.
    http://www.yodasdatapad.com/ages.html

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So okay. I watched the trailer turned up really loud and confirmed that before Rey says "light," you can hear Leia saying " help me obi wan. " And good god, that's moving. And then before she says "darkness," Vader is breathing and Obi Wan is saying " seduced by the dark side? " I think? And I swear to god I can hear Yoda saying SOMETHING right before she says "balance." I have absolutely no clue what Yoda is saying and am not sure what Obi Wan is saying, but the voices are there for sure.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So okay. I watched the trailer turned up really loud and confirmed that before Rey says "light," you can hear Leia saying " help me obi wan. " And good god, that's moving. And then before she says "darkness," Vader is breathing and Obi Wan is saying " seduced by the dark side? " I think? And I swear to god I can hear Yoda saying SOMETHING right before she says "balance." I have absolutely no clue what Yoda is saying and am not sure what Obi Wan is saying, but the voices are there for sure.
    Obi-Wan: "....seduced by the dark side."
    Yoda: "....surrounds us, and binds us."

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So are we going to speculate on how the story will unfold?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Why can't Qui-Gon not take his mother as well? Because Jedi mind tricks don't work on Watto?
    This irks me too. Even if they can't get her out then, why can't they go back and buy her out after the events of the story?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    This irks me too. Even if they can't get her out then, why can't they go back and buy her out after the events of the story?
    For the same reason you have a planet that elects a teenage queen to rule that entire planet for a term, or have a galactic civil war over trade deals that aren't explained--because Lucas sucks as a writer.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    May the Fourth be with you all!
    I just bought a copy of Rogue One to celebrate!

I wouldn't necessarily say that George Lucas sucks as a writer since he has proven himself as a great film writer with THX-1138, American Graffiti, Episode 4-6 and to some extent the Indiana Jones movies.
    I think the reason why the prequel trilogy's writing was abysmal was because he got too cocky, didn't like to get any feedback, and closed himself off from critique.
    I think he basically got tunnel vision when he wrote the scripts and walled himself off to everyone's opinions.
    The remastering with the changes to the original trilogy is a prime example of this.
    When he saw the public out-lash form The Phantom Menace I think he rushed in changes for the other two movies and he couldn't make up his mind and it just got sloppy.
    This is Star Wars, one of the most famous film franchisees in the history of the world we are talking about.
    The movies and story are well known.
    I keep thinking even though I hated the prequels he must have had way too much pressure to make episodes 1-3 perfect.
    He eventually succumbed to the pressure and probably hacked together the dialog and the script because he is a control freak and was split in every which way during filming and editing.
    I honestly think that burred deep down in the prequel trilogy there is some good story hidden within, out of all three of the prequels the best one of them in my opinion is episode 3 since that was the story that George Lucas really wanted to tell.
    Which is the story of how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader.
    We got what we got, could it have been done better, sure, could it have been more concise and still expanded the universe, absolutely, does he deserve all the flack he is getting, somewhat.
    I guess it depends on how you feel about how he handle the franchise and the legacy of Star Wars.
    When it concerns the prequels; What I don't like reading from the die-hard fans is endless shit about him because he did something that didn't align with their vision of what Star Wars is supposed to be.
    He created it out of love and passion to elevate film making to a different art form, he deserves respect for that even if he tried and failed with the prequels.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Qui-Gon couldn’t later go back for her because he was dead. But even if he had lived he probably wouldn’t need to go back to free Shmi because she was ultimately emancipated anyway without jedi help, and she freely chose to marry and continue her life on Tatooine allowing Anakin to properly train with Obi-Wan. The jedi council wouldn’t have cared about freeing her any sooner as they clearly didn’t even want to take in and train Anakin-a person who could potentially fulfill an important sithending prophecy. Qui-Gon alone was the catalyst to freeing Anakin and later convincing Obi-Wan to train Anakin against the council’s decision not to. It seems doubtful that anyone other than maybe Qui-Gon (had he lived) or eventually Anakin would have gone back for Shmi.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    But, Episode VIII.

You guys are no fun. @thelastdisciple and i together speculate about the direction this movie will take at least once a week,

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    But, Episode VIII.

You guys are no fun. @thelastdisciple and i together speculate about the direction this movie will take at least once a week,
    Ray as Palpatine's granddaughter would be a cool twist.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    But, Episode VIII.

...speculate about the direction this movie will take...
    Okay, I’d bet on this line happening in Last Jedi,

“So, Skywalker, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.” - Snoke to Luke in episode VIII

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Okay, I’d bet on this line happening in Last Jedi,

“So, Skywalker, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.” - Snoke to Luke in episode VIII
    ha! @RhettButler it would, but I have the idea that we won't be seeing anything too complicated. And although that isn't that complicated, I think it will be more elegantly simple. They want tens of millions of new star wars fans and so I think these stories will be pretty self contained. I don't even think she will be a Kenobi.
    In fact, I've heard a couple of REALLY good arguments for why she won't be the daughter of ANYONE of importance.
    Perhaps her parents were Jedi apprentices killed at the temple, and perhaps she becomes Luke's daughter in the sense that she becomes HIS apprentice.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-06-2017 at 08:26 AM.