Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 10 Cloverfield Lane a.k.a. The Sequel To Cloverfield

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Khrz , no doubt.
    Have you seen Hidden?
    I couldn't remember the name of it. You've got to see it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Finally watched this last night and really liked it up until the last 10 minutes or so, just didn't really dig the ending. Goodman and Winstead were both great.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    10 Cloverfield Lane?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I am so in!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So God Particle is apparently rumored to be called Cloverfield Station now, and is also rumored to possibly be headed straight to Netflix. Now word comes that a 4th Clover-universe movie is already wrapped?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    ...and there goes my excitement for the 3rd. Nothing against Netflix (well i do, but that's another story) but i already fork out £30-40 a month on Unlimited Cinema pass (which is the only thing i have to get me out of my room outside of work), Amazon Prime and Crunchyroll and struggle to keep up with the media those services offer, so there's no way i'm adding another £10-15 a month for a film and service i just don't have the time to watch

There appears to be a growing trend this year of films getting cinema releases in the US but only coming to Netflix in the UK, and that's a real bummer for me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Cloverfield Paradox. Confirmed for Netflix.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

10 Cloverfield Lane a.k.a. The Sequel To Cloverfield

Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    The Cloverfield Paradox. Confirmed for Netflix.
    Looks incredible. Can someone really quickly explain any connection between Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane for me? I haven’t seen the latter assuming they were unconnected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy shit! Holy shit! Holy shit!

Cloverfield Paradox will be available tonight on Netflix after the Super Bowl!!!

Last edited by neorev; 02-04-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy shit.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Early reviews...aren't kind

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I thought Cloverfield Paradox movie itself was alright, but the idea/set up it put forth and how that pertains to other Cloverfield movies is frigging huge. It's like you kinda needed this movie to bridge all of the movies together, but now that it is done, you can go pretty wild from here with future Cloverfield movies. I heard the fourth movie is already done and takes place in WWII, which makes sense with what was explained in Paradox. I think even Super 8 could now be considered part of the Cloverfield anthology movie series. We could have another Black Mirror on our hands if Netflix continues these... just that they will all connect to Cloverfield.

I don't want to go into too much so soon and enter spoiler territory just yet. I'll give some time before discussing this further.
    Last edited by neorev; 02-05-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    So, this was the first thing I saw that came from the Super Bowl this year (I'm not a football fan, and slept for 6 hours after shoveling snow). I haven't seen 10 Cloverfield Lane, but I was so excited to watch The Cloverfield Paradox that I queued it up at midnight and went right in.

I thought it was alright! It was fun to watch, and I feel like there was a lot of food for thought there. But in terms of predictability and the overuse of sci-fi tropes cranked to the maximum...I do have to agree somewhat. There's a lotta meat on the bone, but there's a LOT of fat, too. It didn't make me enjoy the film any less, though. Just wish they would have spent a little more time refining the horror elements, or weighing more on the "science vs faith" stuff, and a little less time squeezing in comic relief moments, some of which felt forced and unneeded. I also did like what they were going for as far as tying together/setting up the universe, but it feels a liiittle sloppy, and could've been fleshed out a little more than...almost not at all. I'd probably give this like, a solid 7/10? Entertaining, answered some questions, raised others. Going into too much detail might spoil what little there is to really spoil. That being said, a spoiler thought regarding the ending!

Spoiler: The stinger at the end with the good ol' OG Cloverfield monster. That...I dunno. That almost doesn't even seem believable given what little we saw whenever the camera follows Ava's husband back on Earth. How in the hell can an organism even be that physically large? I know that the one we saw in Cloverfield was just a baby, but Christ. I have SO many questions. So then...did...the first movie happen in the second universe? Or during the first universe and just apparently no one talks about it or brings it into the picture of the story until the VERY last phone call Ava's husband has? And why wouldn't they have told Ava "Hey, just FYI there are god-sized monsters walking around where you live right now. Just so you're not surprised. Have a safe flight!" Something about that little twist just felt funny.

It was pretty late when I watched it though, and I'm actually considering watching it again after I watch 10 Cloverfield Lane today to see if it fills in any blanks for me. Curious to see what the plan is for the fourth film, too! But I'm probably gonna do what I did for "God Particle" and go in as cold as possible.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I definitely wonder how a WW2 movie is going to end up fitting in to all of this.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    So, this was the first thing I saw that came from the Super Bowl this year (I'm not a football fan, and slept for 6 hours after shoveling snow). I haven't seen 10 Cloverfield Lane, but I was so excited to watch The Cloverfield Paradox that I queued it up at midnight and went right in.

I thought it was alright! It was fun to watch, and I feel like there was a lot of food for thought there. But in terms of predictability and the overuse of sci-fi tropes cranked to the maximum...I do have to agree somewhat. There's a lotta meat on the bone, but there's a LOT of fat, too. It didn't make me enjoy the film any less, though. Just wish they would have spent a little more time refining the horror elements, or weighing more on the "science vs faith" stuff, and a little less time squeezing in comic relief moments, some of which felt forced and unneeded. I also did like what they were going for as far as tying together/setting up the universe, but it feels a liiittle sloppy, and could've been fleshed out a little more than...almost not at all. I'd probably give this like, a solid 7/10? Entertaining, answered some questions, raised others. Going into too much detail might spoil what little there is to really spoil. That being said, a spoiler thought regarding the ending!

Spoiler: The stinger at the end with the good ol' OG Cloverfield monster. That...I dunno. That almost doesn't even seem believable given what little we saw whenever the camera follows Ava's husband back on Earth. How in the hell can an organism even be that physically large? I know that the one we saw in Cloverfield was just a baby, but Christ. I have SO many questions. So then...did...the first movie happen in the second universe? Or during the first universe and just apparently no one talks about it or brings it into the picture of the story until the VERY last phone call Ava's husband has? And why wouldn't they have told Ava "Hey, just FYI there are god-sized monsters walking around where you live right now. Just so you're not surprised. Have a safe flight!" Something about that little twist just felt funny.

It was pretty late when I watched it though, and I'm actually considering watching it again after I watch 10 Cloverfield Lane today to see if it fills in any blanks for me. Curious to see what the plan is for the fourth film, too! But I'm probably gonna do what I did for "God Particle" and go in as cold as possible.
    I figured that Spoiler: the monster was much closer to the camera than the descending capsule.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my wife and i loved it. well-paced, well-acted, entertaining through and through. there's a one-star review on imdb that calls it "dull. just dull." which i can't understand at all. i was on the edge of my seat the entire film and had so much fun watching it.

also, chris o'dowd continues to be my favorite <3 Spoiler: "My arm helped us find earth!"

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The first Cloverfield movie felt set in our normal universe and suddenly a satellite crash causes a dormant creature to awaken from the ocean. 10 Cloverfield Lane felt set in the aftermath of whatever followed those events. This one feels like it retcons a lot of that and uses the whole idea of multiverses as a cheap way to do whatever they want without explanation, sense or continuity while loaded to the brim with tired sci-fi cliches, tonal imbalances and random events that felt like they belonged to other scripts. I can totally see why Paramount sold this one off. I saw somebody describe it as a bad episode of Doctor Who where the Doctor never appears and that sounds about right to me.

For context I thought the original film was alright and that 10 Cloverfield Lane was amazing, so I fully expected to like this and wanted to.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Watched it late last night and uhh yeah.....not the best, lol.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    it always sucks when you like something and people you admire really don't like it because it makes you feel like an idiot for liking it :/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This is not a spoiler as the creators said it in press a while back, Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane never took place in the same universe. They said that from the start.

The ending reveal does make sense if you think about what the Paradox movie explained.

I think we will get another Cloverfield movie this year.
    Last edited by neorev; 02-06-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I figured that Spoiler: the monster was much closer to the camera than the descending capsule.

Spoiler: True as that may be, think of something being TALL ENOUGH to even do that. Regardless of where the camera was, if something were tall enough to poke its head up through the clouds like that, it would be the single largest thing on the planet that ever existed. The one we saw in Cloverfield wasn't even as tall as half the buildings in NYC. Crazy that the thing can get THAT much bigger.

Also! Definitely liked 10 Cloverfield Lane better, pound for pound.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    my feeling after second watch, tried to be to much, part event horizon part alien, kind of like trying to make a beautiful omelet you screw up when folding it. so you just call it scrambled eggs, I feel a lot of streaming originals don't spend the time editing things into a nice flow mho.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    My answer to the ending...
    Spoiler: Yes, Clovie is really that big. What we are witnessing is the alternate timelines from Cloverfield 1and Paradox merging. Cloverfield took place in 2008 and we never were able to kill the frigging thing. The ending of Cloverfield 1 confirms we were unable to kill it. It seems Paradox takes place some years into the future in another timeline where the events of Cloverfield 1 haven't happened. Let's say it takes place in 2028 for fun. So that means when Cloverfield 1 timeline merges into Paradox's the Cloverfield monster has been roaming Earth for the last 20 years since it arrived in 2008 growing larger and multiplying as it cannot be killed. We are watching the destruction from that timelime spill over to Paradox's. It's just like we saw the two different versions of the space station where one crashed and the other is somewhere on the other side of the sun as well as characters background stories changing and some aren't even present on the ship in one version.

Updated
    Last edited by neorev; 02-06-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    My answer to the ending...
    Spoiler: Yes, Clovie is really that big. What we are witnessing is the alternate timelines from Cloverfield 1and Paradox merging. Cloverfield took place in 2008 and we never were able to kill the frigging thing. The ending of Cloverfield 1 confirms we were unable to kill it. It seems Paradox takes place some years into the future in another timeline where the events of Cloverfield 1 haven't happened. Let's say it takes place in 2028 for fun. So that means when Cloverfield 1 timeline merges into Paradox's the Cloverfield monster has been roaming Earth for the last 20 years since it arrived in 2008 growing larger and multiplying as it cannot be killed. We are watching the destruction from that timelime spill over to Paradox's. It's just like we saw the two different versions of the space station where one crashed and the other is somewhere on the ither side of the sun as well as characters background stories changing and some aren't even present on the ship in one version.

Updated
    Spoiler: If it is the same creature on the timeline you're specifying, how do you account for the size growth over 22 years (the bulk of Paradox takes place in 2030)? Clover is/was around 2000 years old.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I just thought Spoiler: the monster crawled up on top of something really tall when we saw it at the end of the Paradox movie, also her hubby said "things" when he was on the phone with mission control or whoever. It's possible we saw a different one?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Spoiler: If it is the same creature on the timeline you're specifying, how do you account for the size growth over 22 years (the bulk of Paradox takes place in 2030)? Clover is/was around 2000 years old.
    Spoiler: Even being 2000 years old, the creators still consider him an infant in Cloverfield.

Found this online...
    "The monster is a deep-sea creature with an unknown evolutionary history. The species apparently has a very long life-span, as the creature is still an infant during the events of the film, regardless of being alive for thousands of years. It grew to its massive size through consuming large amounts of Seabed's Nectar, a natural steroid-like substance which is very addictive and causes increased cell division and growth, and is used by Tagruato's subsidiary company, "Slusho!", for use as their secret ingredient in their frozen drink of the same name. At some point afterward, the monster went into a sort of hibernation."

So being only an infant, he hasn't fully grown yet. Probably raided a Slusho factory or two or three in the decades that past since the events in NYC thus his size in Paradox.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    The first Cloverfield movie felt set in our normal universe and suddenly a satellite crash causes a dormant creature to awaken from the ocean. 10 Cloverfield Lane felt set in the aftermath of whatever followed those events. This one feels like it retcons a lot of that and uses the whole idea of multiverses as a cheap way to do whatever they want without explanation, sense or continuity while loaded to the brim with tired sci-fi cliches, tonal imbalances and random events that felt like they belonged to other scripts. I can totally see why Paramount sold this one off. I saw somebody describe it as a bad episode of Doctor Who where the Doctor never appears and that sounds about right to me.

For context I thought the original film was alright and that 10 Cloverfield Lane was amazing, so I fully expected to like this and wanted to.
    Star Trek is also guilty of the multiverses crime.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it always sucks when you like something and people you admire really don't like it because it makes you feel like an idiot for liking it :/
    Nah it doesn't. I like plenty of movies other people I admire think are horrible. And I hate some movies people are claiming are masterpieces (I'm looking at you, Natural Born Killers.) Taste is taste; your opinion is as valid as anyone's.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    my feeling after second watch, tried to be to much, part event horizon part alien, kind of like trying to make a beautiful omelet you screw up when folding it. so you just call it scrambled eggs, I feel a lot of streaming originals don't spend the time editing things into a nice flow mho.
    -Louie
    Marry me, Louie. I love you.

I haven't seen Paradox yet but I plan to see it because Daniel Brühl is awesome in everything but as long as every movie stand on its own (as Cloverfield does), they can make a thousand movies in the "Cloverfield Universe) if they want to.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I enjoyed this until the predictable ending that pushed the movie into even more cliche nonsense. There were a lot of cool ideas and scenes in this, but there are many other films that fall into the same Sci-fi territory that does it much, much better. This movie at times seemed like it was a completely different movie from the start that turned into a Cloverfield movie to honest. After the success of the first film, and how amazing the second was... this was a huge letdown no matter how much I enjoyed it for the most part. They went a bit too far with the alternate timelines and made the timeline even more muddled than it had to be. This film almost feels unnecessary when you really look at it, and they could have tied the first two movies together a lot better than throwing us into this crap. The boyfriends side of the story was shallow and had nothing to do with anything.... he saves a girl....cool. Would have been a lot cooler if the shelter that he found was the same shelter from 10CL or something. Eh... 5/10 for me.