Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
Guess you never saw the year Crash won Best Picture or many of the other years where genuinely bad films took home BP. Or, really, any of the years where awful movies were nominated and highlighted.

Personally I found Spotlight to be the most emotionally impacting movie I saw in a theatre last year. The entire audience was either dead silent or in heated murmuring when the lights went up as the credits rolled and a number of people were crying quietly. It was intense, and affecting, and it worked for a lot of people, myself included. I felt that the final scene was incredibly powerful and moving and gave me some very strong and very mixed emotions. Ruffalo killed it, McAdams was great, the rest of the cast was strong and it managed to tackle a very difficult, very touchy subject in a way that was both revealing and yet respectful. And, somehow, it managed to avoid becoming a movie whose message was "Isn't religion shitty guys," and instead focused on how this was a failing of institutions across the board, and a corruption of them.

I loved, loved, loved Spotlight. And I enjoyed all the BP nominees (though I've yet to see Brooklyn, unfortunately). Some maybe shouldn't have been nominated, and maybe a couple films should've been on the list instead, but nothing overtly bad was considered -- compared to last year, where we had fucking Theory of Everything and American Sniper being considered as the "best picture."

This is the Academy that gave Best Picture to Kramer v. Kramer instead of Apocalypse Now. This is the Academy that didn't give Best Picture to Citizen Kane. They have never been, and they will never be perfect. This year was a hell of a lot better than a lot of others, even if it was pretty "safe." I'll take safe over shitshow any day.
i was referring to the entire show, where i felt like i was being preached to w/ whatever flavor of the month liberal hollywood was trying to spoon feed us. outside of the actual award presentations nothing was about actual films (prob why i turned it off halfway through).