Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Glassjaw

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I didn't really like Shira too much until I popped it on through my headphones and took a walk, the production is messy but that's what I love about Glassjaw, those barely contained guitar riffs that suddenly gel into choruses with Daryl holding things together (or vice versa). It takes a bit of getting used to (EYWTKAS took ages for me to 'get') but its worth it. I can't wait.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    ...those barely contained guitar riffs that suddenly gel into choruses with Daryl holding things together (or vice versa).
    Tip Your Bartender > Mu Empire is one of my favorite examples of this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    never heard anything from them until last night, shira sounds great to me. very deftonesish circa atf era. Strong early helmet vibe too, some great bands back then in NY.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    To be honest, never once listened to this band but just listened to the post above and liked what I heard.
    as a fellow man of the met-uhl, here's some of their heavier stuff:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Well said. Daryl soars on that. Don't play it live anymore, hope they bring it back.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    woops! I clearly was remembering the headline show setlists I looked at incorrectly. And then they didn't play it during their opening sets recently.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    These are a couple of my faves from them:

These guys have so much material to check out, so if you're just coming in and learning more about the band, make sure to look up their EP's and singles because they can easily get lost in the mix. I believe Convectuoso is one of the best things they have ever done musically.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Convectuoso is an absolutely beautiful song. I was lucky enough to catch it live once and it's really moving. I prefer the demo version, as dick as it was for RR to release it w.o the band's permission:

Black Nurse is one my faves. I wear this shirt every 2 or 3 weeks:

El Mark is my personal favorite non-album/EP song. It sounds really shitty live though w/o a 2nd guitarist. Beck really needs to rethink that whole thing. Alot of the material suffers w/him trying to do it all up there on stage. Studio version is fucking killer though:

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    ...and drip!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    ...and drip!
    GIMME GIMME GIMME (I'll buy it tomorrow)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This is EXTREMELY good

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Really digging this one. It takes a few spins to seep in, but once it does...oh man. I love the raw, teeth-gnashing vibe and non-showy production of the whole thing. With DEP going on hiatus, these guys came back just in the nick of time.

Also, the title track is the instrumental music from the official site's splash page. I knew it wasn't All Good Junkies like that one guy was claiming..

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    this thing rips!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Really digging this one. It takes a few spins to seep in, but once it does...oh man. I love the raw, teeth-gnashing vibe and non-showy production of the whole thing. With DEP going on hiatus, these guys came back just in the nick of time.

Also, the title track is the instrumental music from the official site's splash page. I knew it wasn't All Good Junkies like that one guy was claiming..
    It’s still the guitar clearly the guitar riff, just reused in a different way...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 Volt Phantom View Post
    It’s still the guitar clearly the guitar riff, just reused in a different way...
    I would be inclined to believe this based on how the album is mixed/frankensteined together. For instance, if you're not paying close attention to the track transitions, the beginning of "shira" sounds like "new white extremity" starting over. "citzen" begins with a riff that sounds like it's somewhere in the middle of the guitar solo from "shira".

This thing is fucking amazing after 3 listens... and that bass!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    About to listen in a few minutes... pumpedddd! I heard it was their heaviest yet??

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    About to listen in a few minutes... pumpedddd! I heard it was their heaviest yet??
    I wouldn't say it's the heaviest, because I'm inclined to say EYEWTKAS will always be their heaviest, but it's definitely fucking heavy. Heavier than Worship and Tribute, I'd say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Material Control is awesome! I started listening to Glassjaw last week when I saw all the news about the new record pop up everywhere. I'm so glad I did, because their stuff is brilliant. New White Extremity is a fucking badass opener, I love how once the album starts, it doesn't let up. Every track flows into the next perfectly too. There's so many wonderfully dissonant guitar and driving, dubby bass parts, I feel like I need more listens just to wrap my head around everything!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm having a hard time liking this, and that makes me sad because I love Glassjaw.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I guess this has been up since Friday, but was just made public an hour or so ago (109 views):

EDIT: So notifications were extremely half-assed, there are vignettes for 10 of the tracks from Material Control available on VEVO.
    Last edited by Jon; 12-03-2017 at 01:14 AM. Reason: I'm dumb

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Do any of the GJ fans here know where to find Colouring Book?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    I can upload and PM u a link to the mp3's of it tomorrow night. That being said, I think it would be fairly easy to find via torrent sites, even public ones, no?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    check your PMs!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thank you!

It's weird how it hasn't popped up on Bandcamp or something yet, cause it's way too good to be left as a vinyl/gig only record!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They were selling via their website/MerchDirect last year, because that's how I ordered a copy. The website only seems to have the new album available unless I'm missing something.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Thank you!

It's weird how it hasn't popped up on Bandcamp or something yet, cause it's way too good to be left as a vinyl/gig only record!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    They were selling via their website/MerchDirect last year, because that's how I ordered a copy. The website only seems to have the new album available unless I'm missing something.
    i have a CD/DVD of it that i bought from their site a couple years ago. never popped the DVD in but i think it's just live footage.

either way, coloring book is still my favorite thing they've ever done. it still sounds as incredible to me as the first time i heard it, and i've listened to it many, many times.

i listened to "material control" yesterday and it's...fine? the basslines are really interesting and intricate but i found myself focusing too much on them, and the fact that it sounded like the guitar was always panned right and the drums seemed like they were sitting more on the left, and it just made the whole thing seem off-balance. it was a weird mixing choice. as for the songs, they're...fine. again, nothing bad, but nothing mind-blowing.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    either way, coloring book is still my favorite thing they've ever done. it still sounds as incredible to me as the first time i heard it, and i've listened to it many, many times.

i listened to "material control" yesterday and it's...fine? the basslines are really interesting and intricate but i found myself focusing too much on them, and the fact that it sounded like the guitar was always panned right and the drums seemed like they were sitting more on the left, and it just made the whole thing seem off-balance. it was a weird mixing choice. as for the songs, they're...fine. again, nothing bad, but nothing mind-blowing.
    I still listen to Coloring Book on the regular, as well.

As far as the mixing, the instruments are separated that way in all of their records (just not to this extreme). For example, Justin Beck was left channel, Todd Weinstock was right channel. Daryl's vocals sit in the center, bass on the left, drums slightly left of center. You can even hear the "left of center" drum mixing on songs like "Black Nurse".
    Last edited by Jon; 12-09-2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: confusion the waitress

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I still listen to Coloring Book on the regular, as well.

As far as the mixing, the instruments are separated that way in all of their records (just not to this extreme). For example, Justin Beck was right channel, Todd Weinstock was left channel. Daryl's vocals sit in the center, bass on the left, drums slightly left of center. You can even hear the "left of center" drum mixing on songs like "Black Nurse".
    hmm, i guess you're right and it's just more extreme (and thus way more noticeable) on material control. interesting. i know dave fridmann is a fan of doing that sort of stuff (which is why i had such a hard time listening to "drums & guns" by low, since the channels are almost 100% separated) and i always think it's odd. i like a mix to sound cohesive and full, not oddly spread out. unless you're doing a 5.1 mix where you want it to sound like you're in the room with the group of musicians around you (like the did with "kind of blue" and is actually pretty cool), i don't understand that philosophy.

wow, sorry. /rant