Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Glassjaw

Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    Thank you!

It's weird how it hasn't popped up on Bandcamp or something yet, cause it's way too good to be left as a vinyl/gig only record!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    They were selling via their website/MerchDirect last year, because that's how I ordered a copy. The website only seems to have the new album available unless I'm missing something.
    i have a CD/DVD of it that i bought from their site a couple years ago. never popped the DVD in but i think it's just live footage.

either way, coloring book is still my favorite thing they've ever done. it still sounds as incredible to me as the first time i heard it, and i've listened to it many, many times.

i listened to "material control" yesterday and it's...fine? the basslines are really interesting and intricate but i found myself focusing too much on them, and the fact that it sounded like the guitar was always panned right and the drums seemed like they were sitting more on the left, and it just made the whole thing seem off-balance. it was a weird mixing choice. as for the songs, they're...fine. again, nothing bad, but nothing mind-blowing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    either way, coloring book is still my favorite thing they've ever done. it still sounds as incredible to me as the first time i heard it, and i've listened to it many, many times.

i listened to "material control" yesterday and it's...fine? the basslines are really interesting and intricate but i found myself focusing too much on them, and the fact that it sounded like the guitar was always panned right and the drums seemed like they were sitting more on the left, and it just made the whole thing seem off-balance. it was a weird mixing choice. as for the songs, they're...fine. again, nothing bad, but nothing mind-blowing.
    I still listen to Coloring Book on the regular, as well.

As far as the mixing, the instruments are separated that way in all of their records (just not to this extreme). For example, Justin Beck was left channel, Todd Weinstock was right channel. Daryl's vocals sit in the center, bass on the left, drums slightly left of center. You can even hear the "left of center" drum mixing on songs like "Black Nurse".
    Last edited by Jon; 12-09-2017 at 11:43 PM. Reason: confusion the waitress

Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I still listen to Coloring Book on the regular, as well.

As far as the mixing, the instruments are separated that way in all of their records (just not to this extreme). For example, Justin Beck was right channel, Todd Weinstock was left channel. Daryl's vocals sit in the center, bass on the left, drums slightly left of center. You can even hear the "left of center" drum mixing on songs like "Black Nurse".
    hmm, i guess you're right and it's just more extreme (and thus way more noticeable) on material control. interesting. i know dave fridmann is a fan of doing that sort of stuff (which is why i had such a hard time listening to "drums & guns" by low, since the channels are almost 100% separated) and i always think it's odd. i like a mix to sound cohesive and full, not oddly spread out. unless you're doing a 5.1 mix where you want it to sound like you're in the room with the group of musicians around you (like the did with "kind of blue" and is actually pretty cool), i don't understand that philosophy.

wow, sorry. /rant