Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Halo I-IV

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Lives in Prague, CZ but is from Bucharest, RO
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Still waiting for official announcement, but Wooo.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Limited run of 3,400. I think I'll be out and about and see what I can grab

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Have I mentioned I hate RSD exclusive releases? Because, yeah, I hate RSD exclusive releases. They must be a blast if you live in an area with, you know, an actual record store.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    it's already sold out, people. forget this.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Kaboom, we have liftoff, subjects confirmed for immediate departure into Ebay orbit, deployed to be listed for sale in perpetuity at inflated prices. Estimated chance of eventual touchdown on a record player: 00.00678%.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    In my experience, for a RSD box set that has over 3,000 copies in print, it's not going to be hard to find, because it's not going to go flying off the shelves. List price will probably be high, and my hunch is that you'll be able to find it below that price a week or so after Black Friday, because lots of stores will be stuck with inventory and will sell it at cost or a loss to get rid of it. The cover art that Pitchfork posted is hideous, so it's a pretty good guess that this is a record label cash grab and the NIN team had nothing to do with it. Also, it's not like it's that hard to find original copies of these records for a decent price, so it's kinda weird that they're even doing this to begin with. Now if they did a Broken/Fixed box, that would be something else.

http://pitchfork.com/news/61836-nine...vinyl-box-set/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not a fan of the cover, I agree a Broken/Fixed /Spiral box would be awesome (but must be done by Trent )

Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Sad, desperate record company repackage-job for nostalgia fetishists only.

I mean, even TR himself said these domestic "Head" remixes were boring and the 2011 Pretty Hate Machine two-LP remaster already had "Get Down" as a bonus track... so you are paying for what, exactly? Terrible cover art on a cardboard box? Thanks but no thanks.
    Last edited by botley; 10-28-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I mean, even TR himself said these domestic "Head" remixes were boring and the 2011 Pretty Hate Machine two-LP remaster already had "Get Down" as a bonus track... so you are paying for what, exactly? Terrible cover art on a cardboard box? Thanks but no thanks.
    Well, you get the Terrible Lie remixes, the Down In It remixes, and the Sin remixes (which I think are great). And even though Trent said the HLAH remixes were boring, some people (myself included) still like them. And, despite being re-released, not everyone currently owns PHM on vinyl. Those are all things that are not "cover art on a cardboard box".

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Have I mentioned I hate RSD exclusive releases? Because, yeah, I hate RSD exclusive releases. They must be a blast if you live in an area with, you know, an actual record store.
    I happen to live in an area with a lot of record stores. There's five or six independent record shops within a 15 minute drive. I've never had a problem getting any Record Store Day or Black Friday release.

And even I hate RSD releases. They wouldn't bother me if shops were able to order enough to satisfy demand, but a lot of releases are purposely pressed in quantities the label knows won't satisfy demand. They are publicity stunt releases, pure and simple and I think it's an abuse of the loyal fans when they are manipulated into creating hysteria by deliberately shorting the quantity of a release.

Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    Well, you get the Terrible Lie remixes, the Down In It remixes, and the Sin remixes (which I think are great). And even though Trent said the HLAH remixes were boring, some people (myself included) still like them. And, despite being re-released, not everyone currently owns PHM on vinyl. Those are all things that are not "cover art on a cardboard box".
    Those are all things you can buy elsewhere, too; likely for less money.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Good news for assholes who make a fortune off these things on eBay!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Those are all things you can buy elsewhere, too; likely for less money.
    Do we know the price of the boxed set?

I don't buy vinyl (and only rarely buy CDs to rip), so I don't know the prices. I searched Amazon for prices for the HLAH and Sin singles, and they were like $30 for used copies. There might be other places to buy those for cheaper, but there are definitely people that wouldn't want to bother searching around on eBay or wherever. And, if they happen to be at a record store, buying the boxed set might be much more convenient for them. And those people might want to trade a higher price for convenience.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    So this will be an official, un-haloed release?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Now something like The Downward Spiral anniversary release, but with the complete Further Down The Spiral remixes all together, I'd be totally in for!
    But this... ehhh, definite cash grab and doesn't seem like something Trent would do.
    Plus the different gram vinyl weight between the album is strange... all 180 gram would had made it more enticing.
    But seems half ass to have different weights.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Prefer to wait for the Fragile Special Edition (When or where that is), but lets see if its an official release or not.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Technically I think the company that owns the rights to the records can still put the halo markings on there. As ever "unofficial" release of PHM has had Halo 2 on it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    It's likely these are just redbook prints slapped onto vinyl anyway. Doubt they even have master tapes laying around. You may as well just stick with your FLACs.

Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    buying the boxed set might be much more convenient for them. And those people might want to trade a higher price for convenience.
    Surely that's why people in 2015 are collecting music on gramophone records, for the convenience...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Halo Ouroboros.
    Last edited by botley; 10-29-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    So, when is this for sale, and where? I only have PHM on vinyl so this kills 2 birds with one stone

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    So, when is this for sale, and where? I only have PHM on vinyl so this kills 2 birds with one stone
    November 27th at select Record Store Day participating stores.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Debating on whether or not I should go out and stand in line and try and buy one of these. Especially since they will be upwards of $100.00. Time to contemplate.

Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    do we really think this is going to be over $100? i would place it around the $80 range.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    4 records and a limited edition equals $100 at the least.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I had seen $80-$100 thrown around on another site. To whomever was looking at Amazon for used records, don't waste your time, used stuff like that is over priced on Amazon. eBay and Discogs are much better indicators or actual value. You can get a new copy of PHM for $20, and looking at past sales, you can get the singles for $10 each on average. I know I'm not going to bother, unless they've done something better with the artwork that we're not seeing, or I can find it for a really good price. Otherwise, I'll stick with my original copies of these.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Cover's cheap-looking.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Whoever designed that was clearly riding the Ghosts coattails and totally missing the point :-/

The rectangle around NIN logo expanded to house some other text is b u l l s h i t
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 10-30-2015 at 12:58 AM.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Kaboom, we have liftoff, subjects confirmed for immediate departure into Ebay orbit, deployed to be listed for sale in perpetuity at inflated prices. Estimated chance of eventual touchdown on a record player: 00.00678%.
    LOL of the week

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    Now if they did a Broken/Fixed box, that would be something else.
    Which would require the record company to actually have a clue as to what their target audience really wants, and which clearly they don't

About two years ago, I purchased that Rykodisc reissue of PHM that was the first time it was pressed on 180gr. This was before the whole "vinyl resurgence" craze got out of control and record labels just started slapping digital copies of albums onto vinyl slabs. So I'm confident the Ryko 180gr. was actually made with the suitable master tapes, because it sounds fucking grand.

So yea, don't waste your time with this cashgrab boxset bullshit