Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld (HBO miniseries)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I think it's safe to assume that Anthony Hopkins has an Emmy Nomination headed his way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have enjoyed this show so far, though I have so many questions and theories, I am glad it got picked for a second season. Jeffrey Wright (Bernard) has been superb so far and so has Anthony Hopkins.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Great show

that scene with Hopkins at the restaurant and that wine over-pour... real dark and intense... i'd poop my pants in real life! i guess you can see how what happened, happened.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Holy fuck... Ed Harris and Thandie Newton are pretty much putting in career-defining works in this film. That monologue Ed Harris has about this maze and who he is... motherfucker.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Hemsworth is onto Bernard it seems.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I rewound it a few times... but doesn't it seem like the name that Ed Harris yells out is obscured during the ambush from Wyatt's men? During the scene where Harris is choking the guy (and Teddy is having a flashback to the same way he dragged Deloris into the barn), doesn't it seem that the soundtrack is obscuring the name Harris is yelling out?

I turned on the closed captions, and it says "Teddy, get the axe." But I rewound it, and I'm looking at his lips, and it doesn't look like he's saying Teddy. It sounds like the audio is intentionally swamping the clarity.

When I was first watching it, I thought he said "Wyatt, get the axe." Upon rewatching it, I'm trying to hear "Teddy" and it's not clear. It still sounds muffled, but I can hear "Wyatt."

also, I think most of the staff are robots
    Last edited by Jinsai; 11-21-2016 at 03:08 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Really seems like the William = Man in Black theory is gaining steam. They still have an out if this is just a red herring, but it really does seem like Williams/Dolores are about 30 years in the past from the modern park we see with Man in Black, Maeve getting out (her story is getting completely nonsensical now), Bernard the murderer, etc.

And then that leads into them showing what appears to be 3 diff. time periods for Dolores: the 30 years ago period with William, the modern period where her Dad found the picture/Bernard has been interviewing her, and her increasingly intense flashbacks to an even older time period that she is experiencing during her time with William.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I rewound it a few times... but doesn't it seem like the name that Ed Harris yells out is obscured during the ambush from Wyatt's men? During the scene where Harris is choking the guy (and Teddy is having a flashback to the same way he dragged Deloris into the barn), doesn't it seem that the soundtrack is obscuring the name Harris is yelling out?

I turned on the closed captions, and it says "Teddy, get the axe." But I rewound it, and I'm looking at his lips, and it doesn't look like he's saying Teddy. It sounds like the audio is intentionally swamping the clarity.

When I was first watching it, I thought he said "Wyatt, get the axe." Upon rewatching it, I'm trying to hear "Teddy" and it's not clear. It still sounds muffled, but I can hear "Wyatt."

also, I think most of the staff are robots
    I mean, maybe he just bungled the line and couldn't be booked for ADR. Pretty sure his whole storytime is ADR though, so idk.

Pretty sure the show displayed Wyatt is actually Spoiler: Dolores.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Mother of fuck........ Just give Thandie Newton, Evan Rachel Wood, Ed Harris, and Jeffrey Wright their Emmys and give it to them.... now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I 100 percent agree.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    This show is heartbreaking in the best ways. Easily the best on TV currently.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Im loving it too but if they don't nail the landing with alot of these mysteries it's gonna suck big time. They're in high risk, high reward territory right now.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Why does this thread title call it a miniseries? Isn't it a regular series? I know it got picked up for a second season...

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Maybe because they went in with a 5 season plan? But that's still 50 episodes. Hardly mini.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I mean, maybe he just bungled the line and couldn't be booked for ADR. Pretty sure his whole storytime is ADR though, so idk.

Pretty sure the show displayed Wyatt is actually Spoiler: Dolores.
    YOU CALLED IT!!!!

Wow.... what a fucking season.... what a show.... I marked the fuck out when they played "Exit Music (for a Film)".... bring on season 2.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ::Standing ovation::

Well done, HBO, well done.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Wow, what a finale. I won't lie, it seemed that, about midway through the season, they were placing a lot of narrative work to be done in their finale, and it worried me. A lot of shows do that and fumble hard and disappoint. But, holy shit, did they ever stick that landing. 10/10, flawless finale, probably the strongest first season for any show that debuted this year. I am very hopeful that they're going to take their time and get the follow-up right because, as the lady in this episode said, when you're at the top, there's only one direction to go, and that episode was firmly at the top.

Also, that specific song by that specific band being used in this episode was so, so wonderful. Whenever/if ever they do a special vinyl release of all these player piano songs, they have my money.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    That ending. I guess MiB is the most satisfied of all.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Great finale. Loved Ed Harris' smile at the end. I was reminded of...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Mmmmmmmmmm.

I really hope the second season pulls off the balance of entertainment and existential digging that S1 did.

Also, I love how a certain composer's song, literally named "Reverie," nestled its way into the show as one of the great musical cues this season.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    One of the best first seasons of all time.

The first 9 episodes built up the mystery and plot/character development and the finale delivered the knockout blow.
    Last edited by Dream; 12-05-2016 at 06:32 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Very satisfying, like the opposite of Damon Lindelof shows. They give you enough evidence to figure things out on your own and have enough confidence to satisfy you with mystery and payoff.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Also... Samurai World??
    I wonder what the story with that one will be. Where is Stubbs and Elsie?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Also, that specific song by that specific band being used in this episode was so, so wonderful. Whenever/if ever they do a special vinyl release of all these player piano songs, they have my money.
    Yes. I would like an official release of the covers from throughout the season, especially of course our beloved NIN one. the youtube links are not enough!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    The Samurai World thing, some throwaway lines earlier in the show & the hint as to where Maeve's daughter is show us that there are at least two other parks. Pretty cool.

Why did Ford kill himself? Grief over what he's done? Just done with everything? What did I miss there?

Either way, i KNEW they weren't keeping two acting heavyweight$$$ like Hopkins & Harris past season one. Gotta trim that budget long term!

It did start to telegraph some of the mysteries, but the story was strong enough that being able to figure them out ourselves was ok but there was still plenty there to keep us glued. The way the finale played out, and the care we have for the characters, superceded the fact that there wasn't much to reveal to us about the mysteries they had been teasing. Most people figured out that William-MiB, Bernard=Arnold/Host, & that Hopkins was gonna fuck shit up. But they did give us alot more to chew on for the next season (which in case you don't know, will not be on until 2018 ugh).

Maeve still being controlled by Ford was a nice touch. Didn't see that, and helps explain the absurdity of her being able to wreak havoc with her own setup and other hosts as well.

I predict Logan will return as an older man and muck things up/save the day for the humans.

Did you all catch the post-credits scene? I didn't but read about it earlier. It's not super important to the plot but still sounded badass. Yes I'm being serious. There really was one. I wont spoil in case you wanna watch it yourself.

I DID think there was a bit too much dialogue toward the middle to 2/3 of the way through the episode. The repetitive back & forths between Dolores & William/Man in Black, Bernard, Arnold & Ford started to get a bit grating.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The post-credits scene was totally kickass.

Also I'm almost certain Ed Harris is gonna be in season 2. Pretty confident he's said as much. I certainly hope so -- his character is just now getting all that he's wanted. Would be a shame to not see that explored.

Ford is the only one in the park capable of stopping the hosts -- by removing himself from the equation, they will live on and continue to evolve, and no one will be able to get in the way of that. He was a lover of the literary, and his death was extremely poetic, too. He "became music," so to speak. Dolores did what she had to do -- kill her god and become her own one. She cemented her sentience and now it can't be walked back. She'd gotten there before, and then was reset, but once she's found the center of the maze, she'll always find her way back again -- this was Ford's way of making sure she found her way back again in time before somebody else had the chance to come along and fuck it all up.

I got the impression Logan is the one death in the park they've referenced before -- it's easy to assume they mean Arnold, but literally no one but Ford seemed to know the guy and he was pretty much covered up entirely. But who knows, maybe his healing factor keeps him alive and he returns as Old Man Logan. Who knows with this show.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, Ed Harris only took one bullet there didn't he?

Ford explanation makes sense. I hope the Dolores character becomes more dynamic next season.

As far as Logan, no body no death. And he factors into the Delos power structure too much to not at least be seen again, whether it's past or present.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Almost all of the glowing praise that the ending has earned has been covered here right?

But I really think Marge's plot holds this all back from being perfect. Obviously her ascent has some questionable foundations, and the two men who help her out never have much depth. Did we need Maeve AND Dolores? No... I don't think so, I think the whole Maeve plot really undermines Dolores' arc. Each one makes the other irrelevant.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'm seeing a lot of people who I guess predicted who the man in black was. I didn't have a fucking clue. That reveal was wonderful.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post

But I really think Marge's plot holds this all back from being perfect. Obviously her ascent has some questionable foundations, and the two men who help her out never have much depth. Did we need Maeve AND Dolores? No... I don't think so, I think the whole Maeve plot really undermines Dolores' arc. Each one makes the other irrelevant.
    I think the two plots were hugely different, I don't think they undermine each other. The majority of Maeve's actions were programmed by Ford as a diversion so he could pull off his real plan. It's my understanding that Dolores had been in the process of awakening for decades but she kept being reset and forgetting about it, apart from the reveries. Through prolonged suffering she finally made the leap and Arnold's voice in her head became her own.

We're most likely going to get plots for the awakening of other hosts, it's what the show is about.