Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Westworld (HBO miniseries)

Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Amen.
    I have a feeling that the big secret that Delos wanted was Spoiler: how to put human consciousness into the hosts. i think that's probably why he killed himself. i think he really died, as Bernard is shown his body all rotting with maggots and such, but i think he put his consciousness into like the collective consciousness of the hosts, to where he can go from one to another as he pleases.
    Looks like I was right about that theory

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    The recent episode was fine, but the samurai duel at the begining was a great example of some of the new seasons big issues.

-the fight has no stakes because we aren't familiar with either of it's participants, the outcome is fairly obvious, and because we know the Shogun world detour is coming to an end.
    -Maive's "powers" come and go as the writers please, and increase and decrease in functionality depending on the need of the plot.
    -maive's own motivation in that scene to let them "decide their fate" is undercut by her having forced a man to kill himself just like 2 minutes earlier.

And then sure enough we are out of it just a moment after. And it's hard to say that any event in Shogun world made much of a difference.

Episode opens with blunt exposition from Dolores and Bernard, later we watch as she begins to experience regret about what she did to Teddy.... But it's like, she's the hard bitch that cornered him in a room with a rotting cow carcass right after fucking him. So that whole arc is now a break neck roller coaster with no pacing at all

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    is it possible that they final outcome is that the hosts and ford go out into the world Lawnmower Man / Her style? No physical bodies.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    This last episode was probably the most beautiful of the entire series.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Last night's episode was amazing and quite moving, I must say.

I think I got a pretty good idea where the Man In Black story will go next week.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Best episode of the series I think.
    That show really works when it can combine the philosophical themes about identity and consciousness with an emotional plot and performance. Whenever they try and shoot action sequences the shows falls flat.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Best episode of the series I think.
    That show really works when it can combine the philosophical themes about identity and consciousness with an emotional plot and performance. Whenever they try and shoot action sequences the shows falls flat.
    If the majority of the show was more similar to that episode, this would be one of the best shows I've ever seen. I'd trade the half-hearted action for gripping and thought-provoking stories about the characters in a heartbeat.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My reaction after the final fade to black:
    "NOOOOO!"

Only then I realized this was actually the end, and it was great, and I want more!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    that episode re-energized me for this show. Great storytelling. Probably the best epsiode of the whole series. Less murdering 80 people indiscriminately every episode, poor skirmish tactics by trained humans against robots, Charlotte Hale, Professor X Thandie Newton & Dolores, and more of this.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Happy Father's Day

Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    I just lost my shit when I figured out that it was Jeffery Wright in Basquiat, which is one of my all time favorite movies.
    Boom. For real!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wait... why did I think it ended with Episode 8? :-) Bring it on tonite, yay! :-)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The past few episodes, their styles and executions, have been some of the best and most artful in the series so far IMO. I'm still at a loss as to how they'll bridge the timeline gaps..?

Also, come on, NIN fans, check that Vanishing Point tagline:

"Try to kill it all away, but I remember everything."

Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    I was kind of bummed that my theory that Spoiler: William is a host got shot down. I thought THAT would be Spoiler: the reason he put the gun to his head
    But now I do see an elegance in the Spoiler: hosts becoming human through suffering while William is headed, I think, to becoming NOT human, also through suffering.

Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Also, regarding the east of eden connection, it was pretty dope that Spoiler: Ford actually said the ancient word: Timshell, which was the last word of a dying character in that book

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    That Akecheta episode was fucking fantastic. I was engrossed the entire time and also waiting for some back story from his character for quite some time. Cannot believe season is just about over already.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    That Akecheta episode was fucking fantastic. I was engrossed the entire time and also waiting for some back story from his character for quite some time. Cannot believe season is just about over already.
    i was the same, havenít really paid much attention to this season and have found myself easily distracted whilst watching other episodes but this one i couldnít take my eyes of the tele

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The stake are high now. Something I was thinking about. I am unsure if there was some reason for this or if was just a bit off a sloppy plot that requires suspension of disbelief.

Spoiler: What was Ford's intention behind giving William the card with his file on it? Did he just assume that it would somehow end up being seen by someone? Did he do it to remind William that he knows who he really is? Why did William not remember that he left it in a book and that he never saw it again?

Also those 2 angles of Ed Harris when William is talking to his daughter where his face looks maniacal and way scary?!?!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My wife and I started watching this on Sunday and watched the pilot/premier that night and then episodes 2 and 3 last night. While we're both intrigued, we still feel extremely "WTF" about everything. They're (extremely) slowly explaining what's going on and the fact the show has such high reviews and praise from so many makes me think at some point it's all going to snap and make sense, but they sure are taking their sweet time with it while continuing to recycle the same scenes over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

When do things finally get explained and make sense? Or is this just how the show is with only a little more being revealed each time the same scenes/stories play out?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    My wife and I started watching this on Sunday and watched the pilot/premier that night and then episodes 2 and 3 last night. While we're both intrigued, we still feel extremely "WTF" about everything. They're (extremely) slowly explaining what's going on and the fact the show has such high reviews and praise from so many makes me think at some point it's all going to snap and make sense, but they sure are taking their sweet time with it while continuing to recycle the same scenes over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

When do things finally get explained and make sense? Or is this just how the show is with only a little more being revealed each time the same scenes/stories play out?
    Asking that question is asking for spoilers, I feel, heh. I would suggest that you just keep watching. ^^' Things will be explained in time. Season 1 does answer a lot of questions, but it raises plenty for season 2 and subsequent seasons. Especially the S1 finale.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Spoiler: What was Ford's intention behind giving William the card with his file on it? Did he just assume that it would somehow end up being seen by someone? Did he do it to remind William that he knows who he really is? Why did William not remember that he left it in a book and that he never saw it again?
    S2E9 spoilers.

Spoiler: In his own words, Robert is playing "one more game" with William. We can assume this is a long one which in some way involves the Forge. My guess is, Robert knew William's family would find the profile card (maybe he had a word with Juliet at the party), and one way or another William would lose them. The Forge almost certainly contains a host version of Emily, at the very least, so the natural next step would be to seek out a version of her that hasn't seen the profile, and doesn't know what happened to her mother.

Re. the second point, about leaving the profile card tucked in the book, remember that Juliet's suicide was IMMEDIATELY before the start of the first season. It's the reason he's in the park. So the card hasn't been there for long.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    They couldn't commit to killing anyone except the most interesting 2 characters in the season. Cool
    Last edited by Wretchedest; Yesterday at 09:28 PM.