Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boris

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Boris

New Album v2 just came out, and seems to use the vinyl mix of the Japanese New Album, but with a new mix of "Luna" (from their split with Torche) in place of the alternate mix of "Black Original." glad they went with these mixes — "Flare" feels utterly incomplete without the intro!

also, Conspiracy Records are selling copies of The Thing Which Solomon Overlooked 2 & 3 on orange vinyl (for a pricey €30! plus shipping from Belgium!). you can check them out on discogs.com; their regular store isn't selling them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had no idea who Boris was until I saw them open for NIN during the Lights in the Sky tour. It seemed like most people in the crowd hated them, but I thought they put on a brillant show. So much power and energy, I loved it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    New tour and new album "Präparat" scheduled this year.

Boris have added extra single-night headlining dates surrounding their special series of US residency shows in several major markets beginning in late April in addition to Austin Psych Fest on the 27th of that month. The residency tour, billed as “from the past, the present and through to the future” features Boris playing 2 consecutive nights in each city. For the first night, the band will perform its all-time classics along with many new songs never before played in the US. The second night’s set features most of Boris’ cult classic album Flood along with a noise/drone/experimental set. These additional one-off dates will combine all-time classics with part of Flood and other songs’ US debut. Throughout the tour, Boris will once again perform in their classic trio lineup without any support musicians. The first round of support bands include Marriages , Young Widows, Pallbearer and Deafheaver on select shows updated below - more supports to be announced soon.

BORIS US TOUR 2013
    04/23 San Diego, CA @ The Casbah %
    04/24 Phoenix, AZ @ The Crescent Ballroom %
    04/26 Denton, TX @ Rubber Gloves
    04/27 Austin, TX @ Carson Creek - Austin Psych Fest
    04/29 Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade !!
    04/30 Carrboro, NC @ Cat’s Cradle !!
    05/01 Washington DC @ Rock and Roll Hotel * !!
    05/02 Washington DC @ Rock and Roll Hotel *
    05/03 Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre of Living Arts !!
    05/04 Allston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall * !!
    05/05 Allston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall *
    05/06 New York, NY @ Le Poisson Rouge * !!
    05/07 New York, NY @ Le Poisson Rouge *
    05/09 Cleveland, OH @ Grog Shop !!
    05/10 Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall * !!
    05/11 Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall * &
    05/12 St. Louis, MO @ Firebird &
    05/13 Lincoln, NE @ Bourbon Theater &
    05/14 Denver, CO @ Bluebird &
    05/18 Seattle, WA @ The Crocodile *
    05/19 Seattle, WA @ The Crocodile * w/drcarlsonbion
    05/21 San Francisco, CA @ Rickshaw Stop * w/ Bosse-de-Nage
    05/22 San Francisco, CA @ Rickshaw Stop * ^^
    05/23 Los Angeles, CA @ The Echoplex * ^^
    05/24 Los Angeles, CA @ The Echoplex * ^^
    * residency shows

% w/ Marriages
    !! w/ Young Widows
    & w/ Pallbearer
    ^^ w/ Deafheaven

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Präparat, plus a VEIN reissue on CD (with the same design!), and a CD box set for The Thing Which Solomon Overlooked that includes an entirely new recording with Michio Kurihara. already a great year of money to Boris...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Boris opened for NIN?!

Yep they are very good, pink & heavy rocks are the best imo. "Farewell" is really nice

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Boris opened for NIN?!

Yep they are very good, pink & heavy rocks are the best imo. "Farewell" is really nice
    Indeed. It was AWESOME. Very Pink heavy set, and they closed with the untitled 20 minute drone from Smile. Punishingly loud. Dare I say even louder than NIN were.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That Grog Shop date is tempting especially because I work for a concert venue in Cleveland now and have the connect to get into Grog for free (did that for GZA's Liquid Swords show last year). I'll probably go.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    May have to make the drive down to Seattle if I can, missed them the last time they were anywhere relatively close. Wish they were playing with Deafheaven...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    So going to the second night in San Francisco. Flood is my favorite Boris album and one of my favorite albums, period. Excited to see Deafheaven as well. Their new one is highly anticipated. o_m, apparently they are going to announce a full US tour pretty soon.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    (sorry to derail)
    @blackholesun Yeah I'm hella pumped for Sunbather. I'm actually FB friends with George and was talking to him a few hours ago lol. It's all done, 7 tracks and just over 60 minutes long haha...Dream House (only new song released so far) is track 1 and he refuses to send me any other tracks lol. Seen them twice and it's always a great show. Fuck, would love to see them with Boris...that'd be a killer show!

(end of thread derail, sorry again)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Präparat leaked. Every time I think Boris can't get any weirder, they release another album.

Some songs have cool stuff going on but others sound like I walked into their rehearsal area and I'm just listening to them fuckin around....but either way, it's alright.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    agreed about the weird variety. however, "Elegy" is one of their best songs ever. worth it just for that!

i didn't buy it, though, and i'm glad i didn't.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah me too. I don't mind them doing different things, they're an incredibly progressive band and I applaud them for that instead of just always wanting to redo Worship or Pink or something...but at the same time, it doesn't always mean I'm 100% into what they do with each release. Boris is one of my favorite bands but besides the cool rareness factor of owning it on vinyl, I may have felt a little let down if I bought it as well.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    well, this thing has been dead forever, but since this band never stops kicking and there's no forum community (why not?):
    - The Thing Which Solomon Overlooked Chronicle was released, finally putting three amazing drone albums on CD in addition to a brand new one that combines the drone of old with some of the catchier metal of Heavy Rocks (2)
    - VEIN was finally released on CD as well, but totally re-mixed and resequenced, with a few new bits and some left exclusive to the confusing vinyl release in 2006
    - Archive was released properly, in addition to Archive II, which is beyond amazing (the Pink Days disc has this incredible performance of "a bao a qu" into "The Evilone Which Sobs" into "Akuma no Uta" and the world's best version of "Evil Stack/Blackout!)
    - aaaand of course, the new album Noise, which is somehow the same across every version save the bonus materials and cover art. of particular note is "Angel," surely one of the finest epics the band has ever written!

overall i've just been having a Boris and Sunn O)))-heavy couple of weeks, so now i need to find somewhere to talk about things

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    funny, been on a boris kick too this past week, i even purchased dronevil, I wish I could play both at once now

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Wow, this thing has been dead for awhile. That show that I saw of theirs in 2013 where they played all of Flood was one of the best shows I witnessed that year. I really dug the experimental side of Präparat upon further listen so maybe that's why Noise was just so lackluster to me. I couldn't get into that album at all and I felt they almost played it too safe and released some of their most stale work to date. No matter how many times I listened to it, I kept forcing myself to finish it...which is something you never should have to do with music.

As I mentioned two years ago above, Boris is one of those bands I don't find myself ever giving up on. They seem to like to do what they want and I applaud that, even if I don't dig their current direction.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i like Präparat a lot more now; it's definitely a grower (besides "Elegy," which is one of their best works ever imo), not only because of the intense indie and post-rock influence absent in a lot of their work but also because of the randomness; there are a lot of fragments and incomplete ideas that all run together. it reminds me of Rainbow, though the psychedelia influence is dialled way back without Michio Kurihara directly on board.

meanwhile, Noise is varied too (and bears the post-rock influence in "Angel"), but everything is a complete thought, and it's very focused on the 'heavy rock' and J-pop flavours of Heavy Rocks (2)/New Album.

as always, it seems, it comes down to which Boris(es) you want to hear.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    http://www.avclub.com/article/best-r...re-zwan-217176

Boris deserves a mention for guitarist Wata’s chops alone, because holy shit can she shred. Any track on the band’s breakout 2006 album Pink, the record that briefly turned a legion of cardigan-clad Shins fans into headbangers, proves this. Atsuo’s manic drumming, which he somehow manages to accomplish while singing and, during the band’s always-invigorating live shows, yelling “YEAH! C’MON!” every 30 seconds, is also quite impressive. And let’s not forget Takeshi’s double-necked bass/guitar combo. Boris’ technical ability is rendered even more impressive by its refusal to be pigeonholed into any one genre; from album to album, Boris can play metal, drone, psychedelic, ambient, doom, shoegaze, and even pop music. It’s a musician’s band in the way that some comedians are comic’s comics, honing skills through extensive touring and releasing a flurry of albums—most of them okay, some pretty good, and a few of them transcendent—every year from the mid-’90s through today.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Official announcement made for Gensho, the drumless collab with Merzbow presented as another "play two albums at once" release. Very happy it's getting immediate US distro!

Official live video of "Huge" from the live show they just did. The audio from it will be on the Daymare 4CD release.

I love that you can buy each half as a double LP, with the halves including 1 Boris and 1 Merzbow record. So it's not split according to artist contribution, but presented as a joint work.
    Last edited by seasonsinthesky; 01-21-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    another "play two albums at once" release.
    What was the first one?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    What was the first one?
    Dronevil. That one was all Boris, though.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    So the teaser video, the first one released last year, showed Boris with Merzbow playing the last riff in "Flood" together – yet the Gensho tracklist doesn't list the song, on the album proper or the bonus live album (from which the "Huge" video is sourced). So, did they tack it onto one of the other songs? Or is it titled "Resonance?"

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Sargent House are reissuing PINK with a bonus disc of unreleased session material, on 2xCD and 3xLP! Sadly, it appears the long versions of the songs will remain vinyl exclusive (beyond "Farewell" as it appears on Variations). They had posted a photo on Twitter a couple months ago of the Pro Tools session of "Farewell" so it was probably from the process of making this.

P'fork are hosting a stream of new song "Are You Ready?"
    http://pitchfork.com/news/65328-bori...-ready-listen/

Forbidden Songs
    01 Your Name Part 2
    02 Heavy Rock Industry
    03 Sofun
    04 Non/Sha/Lant
    05 Room Noise
    06 Talisman
    07 N.F.Sorrow
    08 Are You Ready?
    09 Tiptoe

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    They're also playing the entire Pink LP on the upcoming North American summer tour. Should be pretty kickass!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Sargent House are reissuing PINK with a bonus disc of unreleased session material, on 2xCD and 3xLP! Sadly, it appears the long versions of the songs will remain vinyl exclusive (beyond "Farewell" as it appears on Variations). They had posted a photo on Twitter a couple months ago of the Pro Tools session of "Farewell" so it was probably from the process of making this.

P'fork are hosting a stream of new song "Are You Ready?"
    http://pitchfork.com/news/65328-bori...-ready-listen/

Forbidden Songs
    01 Your Name Part 2
    02 Heavy Rock Industry
    03 Sofun
    04 Non/Sha/Lant
    05 Room Noise
    06 Talisman
    07 N.F.Sorrow
    08 Are You Ready?
    09 Tiptoe
    I was gonna pre-order it through Sargent House's website, but the least expensive shipping is like $20! Forget that.

EDIT: I emailed them to ask if there was an issue with the system that was causing the shipping prices to be so high. They replied confirming that there is, and that once they fix it, shipping costs should be more reasonable. Yay!
    Last edited by otnavuskire; 05-09-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    And earth is opening, I am so going to this one. Just saw them this week too, two doses of boris in 2016, sweet!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This tour is fucking nuts. I'm so glad this is coming to Lawrence.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    that new song/demo or whatever from the Pink sessions they put on soundcloud is fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    It's up on their Bandcamp run by SH as well. They still typo "Just Abandoned Myself" but this time as "Abandon" (present tense – maybe that's intended?).

Also, interesting that "Your Name Part 2" opens the bonus disc – the first part is on Sound Track From Film 'Mabuta no Ura.'

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    It's up on their Bandcamp run by SH as well. They still typo "Just Abandoned Myself" but this time as "Abandon" (present tense – maybe that's intended?).

Also, interesting that "Your Name Part 2" opens the bonus disc – the first part is on Sound Track From Film 'Mabuta no Ura.'
    There's more than 10 ways to represent "abandon" in kanji when it's used as a verb (since you include synonyms). Either would be appropriate, but "abandon" without the "ed" is more the literal translation.

I remember this being a thing from time to time with (old-school) Dir en Grey, as well.