Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you or don't you like Everything?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Release the video!
    There is a video for it...It features unicorns and the guy from fresh prince of bel air dancing

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I think my beef with the song is that I feel like it doesn't fit in the record. And his vocals. The song takes me out of the journey of the album.

But its ok not to like that song.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I love the song for the same reason I love echoplex. They don't sound like any other nin songs.

It really surprised me that Reznor let the haters get to him so much that he killed it as a single.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Release the video!
    Seriously. It's gotta be better than the CBH video.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    As long as it doesn't KNOWINGLY CAUSE FUCKING SEIZURES, even a flat performance video would be better

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I came back epileptic!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I definitely don't know what to think of the song. I... don't want to hate it. But I can't say I like it.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    I think pretending that "Everything" is sarcastic is grasping at straws.
    I disagree, especially with the whole "Wave goodbye. Wish me well." bit. He's basically giving the middle finger to those who think he's going to fail.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I disagree, especially with the whole "Wave goodbye. Wish me well." bit. He's basically giving the middle finger to those who think he's going to fail.
    Sardonic. I don't find the song to be ironic at all, but it is definitely a middle finger, if you will.

---------------------------------------

I listened to Hesitation Marks last night for the first time in several months, and 'Everything' really wasn't as bad as I had remembered. There is a "groove" that comes through nicely on headphones.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I like it a lot, and it's definitely not the worst song on the album, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Everything is alllllrigh...ta.
    It's Everyone that I hate.
    Last edited by OSLIN; 08-15-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    Everything is alllllrigh...ta.
    It's Everyone that I hate.
    Yes, we know you. And I thought I was having all the fun!
    Last edited by botley; 08-15-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I didn't really like it the first time I heard it. But after playing HM 4-5 times it grew on me. At first I thought the album up to Everything was strong while the second half was just ok. But after a few listens I found the album after Everything to be my favourite. Overall, I would put Everything in the middle of NIN's catalogue.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like the Everything remix, but I still can't stand the album version. Its on my don't ever play list with Not So Pretty Now.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Everything would have sounded awesome with the full live band, especially with Ilan on the drums and female singers.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I don't like it.
    Also there was a parody someone made where they took the everything track and threw it over a kia soul commercial with the dancing hamsters. I can't find it, anyone have any ideas?

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Personnaly I dislike it very much.
    I still don't understand why Trent writes such a kind of songs (like THTF, TBOTE, 1000000 , CBH etc etc).
    Does he want more airplay?
    He has his name in music business and everybody knows where he stands for. You can get airplay also with more quality songs.

But on the other hand, his journey through the compositions he'll make/he made from progressive stuff to commercial stuff is maybe the thrill he personally needs to give us all the good stuff.
    Also, it's awesome to see all the variant/ different music styles he stands for during a live concert. Very special to observe.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post

The first or Lynchs? I really liked the first.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I don't like it.
    Also there was a parody someone made where they took the everything track and threw it over a kia soul commercial with the dancing hamsters. I can't find it, anyone have any ideas?

Nope, but I remember this one pretty well. The fit was uncanny.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I totally dig this song and probably even more now than i initially did when i first heard it but i also completely understand why folks don't take to it and i can't lie... i find the sync ups with the car commercials to be pretty spot on.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    I still don't understand why Trent writes such a kind of songs (like THTF, TBOTE, 1000000 , CBH etc etc).
    He has his name in music business and everybody knows where he stands for. You can get airplay also with more quality songs.

But on the other hand, his journey through the compositions he'll make/he made from progressive stuff to commercial stuff is maybe the thrill he personally needs to give us all the good stuff.
    Also, it's awesome to see all the variant/ different music styles he stands for during a live concert. Very special to observe.
    I'm not sure he writes songs like that on purpose, I think it might be that there's a part of him as a songwriter that naturally goes in that direction because he has always had an ear for a melodic hook and has grown up listening to certain kinds of pop music. Juxtaposing noise or ugliness with impeccable melody has always been the basis of his craft, but I think he indulges that pop side of himself much more thoroughly for a couple of tracks on each album. And maybe at times there has even been pressure from record labels to do that, too.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    It's my favourite track on the newest album.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post

Hey, I like The Hand That Feeds. And The Beggining of the End. And 1000000. And Came Back Haunted.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I don't like it, but i can stand it better than before

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post

Nope, but I remember this one pretty well. The fit was uncanny.

I want a Ford now. Damn subliminal advertising.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Relevant:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i've always loved the track. i find it's one of the better tracks off of hesitation marks and a fun track to have on in the car. it jumps out at me like a cleaned up version of getting smaller, but what gets me the most is the second half starting at around 2:00, it's a classic nin get-lost-in-the-beauty-of-the-build-up and ends in a gorgeous way. it's kinda like the pop version of tdtwwa or underneath it all

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's been two years and people are still arguing about this

goddamnit

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staleincense View Post
    It's been two years and people are still arguing about this

goddamnit
    It's been 26 years and people are still listening to PHM what the fuck, people discuss and enjoy things from the past, fuck this shit I'm going to the future

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    It's been 26 years and people are still listening to PHM what the fuck, people discuss and enjoy things from the past, fuck this shit I'm going to the future
    why do i even still log in here

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staleincense View Post
    why do i even still log in here
    It's not like this is a topic that came up in something else, this is a thread dedicated to the discussion. If you don't want to join in, then don't come to the thread? I don't want to do the "least favourite nin song from each album" thread, so I haven't posted there