Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Do you or don't you like Everything?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Okay, if I follow correctly, the album is the sum of its parts. What is the album… is the album. What is not the album… is not the album. Everything is not the album… but without Everything the album is not. Whoa, the analytics here are bending my mind.

So, does this logic go beyond Hesitation Marks? For instance, am I the sum of my parts? Suppose I had an arm amputated, without that part am I no longer me? Do I exist not? If not, who and what am I? Who??? What??? SOMEBODY… ANSWER ME… PLEASE!!!

Damn you Everything. Damn you for destroying my once simple and happy perception of reality. I’ll never recover from this.
    Jesus Christ, "Everything" is actually the secret meaning of life. What a cunning place to put it.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    What about the Fragile? Different songs depending on whether you have the vinyl, cassette tape or CD
    Leave the answer of that to God.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I love this discussion, but I'm afraid it's going to get locked down on account of being waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic. So I'll just reiterate: Everything = meh for me, but given how rare that is for a NIN track, I'm not at all upset about it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I love this discussion, but I'm afraid it's going to get locked down on account of being waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic.
    Seriously, I hope this place has decent insurance. It’s like the mayhem guy was turned loose on the previous page.

Everything
    is just such a weird song. Hearing it in the middle of HM, and I can’t help but imagine hearing Not So Pretty Now play in the middle of With Teeth. Just, a strange thought.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I guess I haven't really considered Everything in the context of HM, because I haven't yet enjoyed listening to HM as an album. And I really wish I did, but nothing else on there has popped out at me. I suppose I'd love to hear him crank out some tracks up there with the latter-half of TDS, but he either isn't going to, or the rest of HM was just that, and didn't deliver.

Looking back on post TF albums, there's always been one or two stand out tracks for me that did something new (TLBTB, IIT,HD/CR,DS, all of Ghosts); Everything is that track for me on HM. I realise the vibe is really at odds with everything else he's done, but that's why it works for me. I'm a big fan of the Cure and it really captures that spirit, IMHO. It's up there with "Just Like Heaven" for having an infectious take-away vibe. I still hear it playing in my head long after I've stopped listening. I get why a lot of fans didn't respond well to it, but I wish Trent was brave enough to ignore them and be proud of it regardless.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I still liiiiiiii-iiiike "Everything"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If Trent was so proud of it why didn't he perform it live?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarik View Post
    Here I thought it was perfectly fine for artists to make music they can't properly sing every night on tour because an album can be whatever they want without worrying about how to play it live later. How silly of me!

Someone call TR and tell him to ditch the way he wants to express his creativity and make Steve Albini record his live band instead.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    http://www.nin.wiki/NIN_songs_never_played_live

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Man, he must HATE Ghosts. Look how many songs from it he never played.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    NIN definitely planned to play it live at one point. Likely as far back as when Belew was in the band (he sings on the album version, after all). In a video interview with his stage tech, we saw Alessandro had a synth patch prepped for it. So you might say...

They had triiiiiiiii-iiiiiiied "Everything"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    More specifically about Everything from NinWiki

If this is correct, he didn’t sound all that proud, more like aggravated by the reception. But it still would have been interesting to hear a live production of it just once, even if just a rehearsal on a bootleg. I really can’t imagine where or how Lisa and Sharlotte would have fit in on Everything.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    More specifically about Everything from NinWiki

If this is correct, he didn’t sound all that proud, more like aggravated by the reception. But it still would have been interesting to hear a live production of it just once, even if just a rehearsal on a bootleg. I really can’t imagine where or how Lisa and Sharlotte would have fit in on Everything.
    I think the people who hate this song either really do hate it or just don't get it. To me it's as dark as anything Trent's done. It's just sort of done in a bombastically sardonic way. It's catchy and it's upbeat with exclamations that don't seem so happy when you dig down beneath the surface.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    An album is the the COMPLETE, long form work.

An album minus one song is just that, i.e. NOT the album.

It's pretty straightforward, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    What about the Fragile? Different songs depending on whether you have the vinyl, cassette tape or CD
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    As with all of this stuff, there's room for interpretation... but I think in an online fan chat from around 1999 or 2000, TR said he considered the CD version the "real" album with the others as alternates.
    I think the point there is that the CD version was the one meant for the history books and the widest possible exposure, whereas the vinyl/cassette versions were the extended versions meant to accommodate their respective, dying mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Here I thought it was perfectly fine for artists to make music they can't properly sing every night on tour because an album can be whatever they want without worrying about how to play it live later. How silly of me!

Someone call TR and tell him to ditch the way he wants to express his creativity and make Steve Albini record his live band instead.
    OMFG, if you're trying to make me cum then that's a pretty good start.

O_O

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Everything is just such a weird song. Hearing it in the middle of HM, and I can’t help but imagine hearing Not So Pretty Now play in the middle of With Teeth. Just, a strange thought.
    Except that Not So Pretty Now is stylistically consistent with the rest of With_Teeth, while Everything feels like a donkey punch.

Source : NSPN is in the middle of W_T for me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Except that Not So Pretty Now is stylistically consistent with the rest of With_Teeth, while Everything feels like a donkey punch.

Source : NSPN is in the middle of W_T for me.
    So if one were to add the Not So Pretty Now track to the With Teeth album and listen to the whole thing through, is that still listening the album? Or by adding a stray track did you make it not the album?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Well since I added tracks that aren't part of the album as envisioned by the artist, I'm listening to an album, just not the album. It's a glorified playlist, even if its scope is extremely narrow.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Yes, even after 4 years and counting, it just keeps getting better and better. I almost like Everything as much as Copy Of A. That hasn't changed either.

(As much as I love Everything, it still hasn't topped Copy Of A for me.)

But yes, for a 2nd favorite, that has to count for me liking Everything a lot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Everything is one of my favourite songs from HM. I love it.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    It's worse than Heaven Upside Down.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    A great song isn't as good as a great album, fine, fine

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Let's not get carried away.

Everything is great.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    tony, everything is awesome

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It's down there with She's Gone Away...Flame on.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    tony, everything is awesome

Lmao let’s hang out again soon.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    OK, here is my two cents...

I like the song. I liked it when I first heard it after downloading the album after ordering the CD back in 2013, and I really dig the remix. The lyrics are a nice brand of fuck you over a poppy track. The fuck you, to me, is directed at the same people that would absolutely love the track but think it should have some bullshit fake ass good looking radio pop singer on it. The kind of person who disposes of all content, a real meaningless All-American consumer. The kind of person that really has no clue what is going on. But, smart people can like poppy tracks too. The difference is that they appreciate, understand and enjoy smart clever "things" and they think.

I have the track in my mp3 player for when I run due to the steady bpm and the real angry eye rolling fuck you under tone of the message in the lyrics. Now the remix, the real gem here is the remix track its self. To me it's like some b-boy turntablist music. And the vox/ auto tune sounding vocals... see my previous comments about who the target audience the fuck you is directed at.

In closing, to me the message of "Everything" comes from the same place as the message from HIS from Broken. The difference is that HIS to me is a sarcastic message of "acceptance of our shit society" where as Everything is like "I lived through our shit society and survived, Fuck you."

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    It's down there with She's Gone Away...Flame on.
    wait, are you saying that both "everything" and "she's gone away" rank near the bottom of the NIN catalog for you?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I still love the sarcastic bite of "Everything", though it's gotten a lot less play around here with the recent EPs.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Like most, when I first heard Everything (which was when it debuted on Beats 1 during an interview with TR before the album release, if I'm not mistaken), I was taken aback by the unexpected upbeat-sounding nature of the song, but as it progresses, and that wall of sound kicks in, it begins to sound more like the usual NIN sound. I think the song being in major key is what gives it that upbeat vibe, but when you read/listen to the lyrics, it certainly doesn't seem as positive as it may sound at first. It wasn't one of my favorites on Hesitation Marks (and it still isn't, but I don't dislike it either), but that's mostly because there are so many other great songs on the album (Copy of a, All Time Low, Satellite, Various Methods of Escape, I Would for You, and In Two being my favorites). I must say though, I actually really like the song's ending. And although it may not be among my favorites, I don't understand the amount of hate this song gets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like the song when I listen to the album, but I never seek it out on its own or skip to it.