Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The Feminist Thread

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Ugh, I hate the phrase "real women".

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Last edited by botley; 10-04-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Real [insert demographic] are [insert behavior] !

Oh would you look at that, this precisely overlaps my own attitude and values, what are the odds ?!

Edit : So much love for Kate Beaton...
    Last edited by Khrz; 10-06-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    So much love for Kate Beaton...
    From me, but also from my female and feline companions

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/ma...cki-minaj.html

This is really, really good. Tell 'em!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    from Nancy Fraser:
    "Mainstream feminism has adopted a thin, market-centered view of equality, which dovetails neatly with the prevailing neoliberal corporate view. So it tends to fall into line with an especially predatory, winner-take-all form of capitalism that is fattening investors by cannibalizing the living standards of everyone else. Worse still, this feminism is supplying an alibi for these predations. Increasingly, it is liberal feminist thinking that supplies the charisma, the aura of emancipation, on which neoliberalism draws to legitimate its vast upward redistribution of wealth."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/opin...ing-on-others/

Thoughts? There are a lot more topics in there beyond this quote. Interesting read.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 10-17-2015 at 12:31 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    from Nancy Fraser:
    "Mainstream feminism has adopted a thin, market-centered view of equality, which dovetails neatly with the prevailing neoliberal corporate view. So it tends to fall into line with an especially predatory, winner-take-all form of capitalism that is fattening investors by cannibalizing the living standards of everyone else. Worse still, this feminism is supplying an alibi for these predations. Increasingly, it is liberal feminist thinking that supplies the charisma, the aura of emancipation, on which neoliberalism draws to legitimate its vast upward redistribution of wealth."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/opin...ing-on-others/

Thoughts? There are a lot more topics in there beyond this quote. Interesting read.
    Wow, that's a great interview, thanks for posting.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    "real women have curves"

My girlfriend is hardly a hundred pounds soaking wet and has a pretty straight frame (don't worry - no eating disorder or anything like that; she's just naturally a very petite woman). So yeah, when someone says some stupid shit like that, we both get kind of peeved.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/warwick-university-student-george-lawlor-divides-opinion-after-opposing-union-s-sex-consent-lessons-a6694781.html

"A student at the University of Warwick has divided opinion online after speaking out against being invited to sex consent training lessons – a move, he says, was ‘the biggest insult I’ve received in a good few years’."

"I don’t have to be taught to not be a rapist. That much comes naturally to me, as I am sure it does to the overwhelming majority of people you and I know."

Just looking at him makes my blood pressure spike.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

Relevant.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/warwick-university-student-george-lawlor-divides-opinion-after-opposing-union-s-sex-consent-lessons-a6694781.html

"A student at the University of Warwick has divided opinion online after speaking out against being invited to sex consent training lessons – a move, he says, was ‘the biggest insult I’ve received in a good few years’."

"I don’t have to be taught to not be a rapist. That much comes naturally to me, as I am sure it does to the overwhelming majority of people you and I know."

masculinity so fragile

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    masculinity so fragile
    Well I can understand the misunderstanding. The rules are shifting, the context is changing, there's a slight tipping of the balance occurring, somehow I can understand that it could escape him (or anyone) so much that he would think he merely has to operate under the previous parameters. It's not like the moral framework has really changed.

That photo though... That makes him eminently punchable.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

What is the ETS feminist community think of this? Is this rightfully fucked?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    It's a pretty terrible ad that fails on a lot of different levels. It's so bad that it's being used by meninists all over the internet to attack important concepts and legislation, so like... extra fail. It didn't just fail to make an effective point, it became detrimental to the cause.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    It's a pretty terrible ad that fails on a lot of different levels. It's so bad that it's being used by meninists all over the internet to attack important concepts and legislation, so like... extra fail. It didn't just fail to make an effective point, it became detrimental to the cause.
    Yeah it's a fucking mess. Any kind of message would become questionable if the delivery was failed that much.
    As you said, it's FUBAR on every level possible. The text is ambiguous at best. The design's illegible. The photo doesn't deliver anything meaningful. From a distance you could confuse it for a straight-to-video romcom poster. Every design cue is wrong.

It's one of those communication jobs who's been handed to someone's nephew free of charge, and put together an hour before the deadline.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Also, what utopian world are we living in in which an accused rapist is charged​ the next day? There are thousands of rape kits backlogged in crime labs so like hell this would ever happen in real life.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Also, their assertion that a woman who is "intoxicated cannot give her legal consent for sex" is incorrect. The correct term is incapacitated, not intoxicated.

Two contenting adults who have been drinking can absolutely have sex without legal consequence; a legal problem only arises when the recipient (male or female) of penetration is SO drunk, they're incapacitated (e.g. unconscious or so drunk they are mentally incapacitated and therefore unable to give consent to said penetration).

There is a legal scale of intoxication, e.g. most states have a .08 limit for driving while intoxicated (which for most people equals one beer or one glass of wine) and this scale goes all the way up to alcohol poisoning.

"Drunk" (mentally incapacitated) people also can't sign contracts in most states, can't get a marriage license in most states, can't sign a Will, etc., because of their inability to "consent" because of diminished mental capacity ("unsound mind").
    Last edited by allegro; 10-22-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Somebody needs to show him a photo of Ted Bundy.

Last edited by allegro; 10-22-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

What a fucking dickbag. That is EXACTLY what a rapist looks like. So are people with flannel shirts and skinny jeans. So are people in tank tops and board shorts. So are people with their pants hanging around their damn knees. So are people in tuxedos and ball gowns. Appearance doesn't have one fucking thing to do with whether someone is a rapist. I'd like to see* a well dressed man get this guy drunk, fuck him in the ass, then tell him "what? I don't look like a rapist." Maybe then he'd get the point.

Now, if I were a college student today and I was told that some sort of consent class was required of me, the ONLY thing that would make me bitch about it would be if it were only men who were required to attend. Yes, statistically men are far more likely to rape women than vice-versa, but if you're going to make it a mandatory class, make it mandatory for everyone. Beyond that, I'd just roll my eyes, be thankful that my parents raised me well enough to make this sort of class a moot point and waste of my time, and smile and nod my way through it.

*I wouldn't actually like to see this.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    men feeling entitled to an opinion on abortion. you don't have wombs, assholes.

fucking facebook.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Oh man, the other day I took a taxi with my grandmother and the taxi driver decided it would be great to just chit-chat away casually about life and somehow the topic of men and women came up, he just started saying "It's a shame that men don't want to work and are staying at home and taking care of the house, leaving the women to work and how that's not right, don't you think?" Hahaha, my reaction of course was, "If that's what they want to do, that's fine by me. I don't want to sit around the house all day. There are women who want to be out working. I think what's important is if that's how the a couple agrees to be, there's nothing wrong with it. If both men and women could work and take care of the house together, even better!" He was professional enough to shut the fuck up, politely stating "Ah...no insults intended...I believe I'm speaking too much!" (as in, just running his mouth too much). I'm glad he spoke about it though, made for an educational moment on his part.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    men feeling entitled to an opinion on abortion. you don't have wombs, assholes.

fucking facebook.
    Excuse me? We all have a mother (strictly biologically speaking), and many of us have sisters or daughters. We're not allowed to have an opinion on an issue that primarily affects women just because we don't have wombs? Sorry, but fuck that. I can see getting angry when dudes are trying to restrict your choices about your bodies, because that's pretty shitty. But don't you dare tell me that I'm not allowed to be opinionated about issues like the defunding of Planned Parenthood or restricting abortions.

Sincerely - a pro-choice male.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    We're not allowed to have an opinion on an issue that primarily affects women just because we don't have wombs?
    yep.

ten chars.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    If the Government's ACA really worked, and everybody had insurance, which includes free services and birth control for women, and then we expand those services even more, then Federal funding of private organizations like PP isn't even necessary and PP isn't even necessary. Just sayin'. In civilized countries where birth control and std prevention and education is provided by the government, abortions (and unplanned pregnancies) are greatly decreased. This is all part of basic healthcare for women.

Remember, Republicans used to looove PP:
    http://www.salon.com/2015/08/18/the_...ood_a_history/
    Last edited by allegro; 10-25-2015 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I'd like to see* a well dressed man get this guy drunk, fuck him in the ass, then tell him "what? I don't look like a rapist." Maybe then he'd get the point.
    Nooooo. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    Nooooo. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Maybe if you hadn't ignored the asterisk that clearly stated that I didn't actually want to see that happen....

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    yep.

ten chars.
    So let me get this right. I'm only allowed to see a male doctor, because a woman isn't entitled to give me her medical opinion on a condition regarding my genitalia because she herself doesn't have a penis? And to the contrary, no man is allowed to become a gynecologist because they're not allowed to have an educated medical opinion about vaginas?

Okay, got it.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    You're a doctor?